HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bergevin interview on 98.5

Old
09-24-2013, 02:58 PM
Adriatic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Why are we a few years away from being a contender?
We finished first last year, granted, I don't think we're a top seed team, but we're not a mediocre one with lots of help needed.
We need someone bigger to replace Briere on the top 6, and we need a bigger more physical version of Gorges.
We have very solid depth, and we have enough draft picks and prospects to dangle a package worthy enough to land us there players.

I wouldn't go as far as to say we can contend for the cup this year, but that's mainly because we're relying on youngsters and they're unproven.
But if Eller-Galla-Gally-Tinordi can perform well and keep improving, then I don't see why we wouldn't be able to compete with any team in the East.
There are a lot of good teams, but we're certainly amongst them.
The only way the Habs would have any chance of contending this year is of Price could pull an mvp type playoff run and I don't see that happening. Other than that we are still not good enough to mask goaltending deficiencies .

Adriatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 03:05 PM
Canadiens Ghost
Mr. Objectivity

I have a lot of faith in Bergevin and his staff. They are building a team the proper way. They are not trying the quick fix that would most likely fail just to please the irrational and impatient Habs fans. He seems to have been a good student in his time with the Hawks. I think in 3 or 4 years from now, we'll be in for some good times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyLurch View Post
Hug it out, guys; we're Habs fans, we don't slap-fight like Leafs...
You mean we don't cowardly swing our sticks at guys who are tied up by 2 other guys, right?

Canadiens Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 03:28 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
I like Bergevin and trust him 100% but if the Habs don't get off to a decent start it's going to get even tougher for him. Lot's of pressure on him and the team after ;ast year's performance in the season

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 03:42 PM
StellerEller
Saku :D

vCash: 351
Quote:
Who are the high end prospects??
Our high end guys aside from Galchenyuk were here before MB. McCarron and Colberg? They're too far away to be labeled as high end.
When I say high end i meant high ceiling. I think its irrelevant how long it takes them to reach that ceiling. Also keep on mind that even if those guys were taken before MB took over, he revamped our pro ddevelopment and has made great strides in refilling the prospect pool, I especially like the McCarron and fucale picks

Last edited by StellerEller: 09-24-2013 at 04:01 PM.
StellerEller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 03:52 PM
habsfanatics

Quote:
Isn't the proper expression "short change"?
I think so, never heard of the other expression.

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 04:02 PM
habsfanatics

I'm not so sure where the blind faith is coming from. I see a man who is clearly inexperienced and learning on the job, and also seems to be making most things up as he goes along. Says some things that are nice, but then says some things I don't agree with at all. I see a passive guy who will be taking the longest route possible, the same route Bob Gainey traveled down.

He's done nothing to severely hamper us at this point, but he's done virtually nothing to improve us either. He's been pretty neutral so far, but I think there's more to the GM job than to not make us worse.

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 04:19 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Who are the high end prospects??
Our high end guys aside from Galchenyuk were here before MB. McCarron and Colberg? They're too far away to be labeled as high end.
Beaulieu and Tinordi for sure. McCarron(not in terms of pure offense but offense plus physical impact) Fucale plus Subban Price Galchenyuk and other young guys still there.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 04:29 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriatic View Post
The only way the Habs would have any chance of contending this year is of Price could pull an mvp type playoff run and I don't see that happening. Other than that we are still not good enough to mask goaltending deficiencies .
I didn't say we were going to contend this year. I said we could have if we have added size on the top 6 and get a bigger version of Gorges. We didn't do those things.
However, I don't think we're a few years away either. We're only missing 1-2 pieces that are very obtainable.
Regardless, we remain a very good team, no reason why we couldn't hang versus the toughest teams out there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StellerEller View Post
When I say high end i meant high ceiling. I think its irrelevant how long it takes them to reach that ceiling. Also keep on mind that even if those guys were taken before MB took over, he revamped our pro ddevelopment and has made great strides in refilling the prospect pool, I especially like the McCarron and fucale picks
Well no, it's not irrelevant. I like big Mac and Fucale too, but it's still way too soon to say they have high end ceiling. Sure, you can have fun and say it, but it's completely useless as they're too far away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
I'm not so sure where the blind faith is coming from. I see a man who is clearly inexperienced and learning on the job, and also seems to be making most things up as he goes along. Says some things that are nice, but then says some things I don't agree with at all. I see a passive guy who will be taking the longest route possible, the same route Bob Gainey traveled down.

He's done nothing to severely hamper us at this point, but he's done virtually nothing to improve us either. He's been pretty neutral so far, but I think there's more to the GM job than to not make us worse.
I don't get it either.
I was all for getting MB, but he's made some head scratching moves.
He hasn't hurt us, he hasn't really helped us other than getting Prust. I love some of his administrative decisions, but really not a fan of some negotiation decisions.

We are starting to have a good group of prospects, we have good depth, and have our picks. So, he should definitely be looking for ways to improve this team via trade.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 04:33 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Beaulieu and Tinordi for sure. McCarron(not in terms of pure offense but offense plus physical impact) Fucale plus Subban Price Galchenyuk and other young guys still there.
They were all here before Bergevin.
McCarron and Fucale are too far away to really be labeled as top end.
McCarron could just as easily become a 3rd liner.

Heck, even Beaulieu isn't a top end talent.

Price-PK-Galchenyuk are our only true top end talent.

Old
09-24-2013, 04:35 PM
Sorinth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripper View Post
Not sure if you guys realized it, but when asked if he was close to have "his" team, he said no. Expect at least 3-4 more years before he makes a key player trade or even signs a really good UFA, because that's when our window will open.
I haven't had time to listen to it yet, is the 3-4 years your interpretation or what he actually said?

You can build a good team from scratch in 4 years, when you already have an all-star goalie, a Norris trophy winning defenceman, an offence 3 lines deep, and a highly rated prospect pool it shouldn't take 3-4 years.

Sorinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 04:37 PM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

Holy **** I hate Ron. He cannot stop interupting Marc.

Jee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 04:41 PM
Strat

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
I think so, never heard of the other expression.
He basically meant to say that the GMs tried to take advantage of his inexperience by making him lopsided offers.

Strat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 04:57 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
They were all here before Bergevin.
McCarron and Fucale are too far away to really be labeled as top end.
McCarron could just as easily become a 3rd liner.

Heck, even Beaulieu isn't a top end talent.

Price-PK-Galchenyuk are our only true top end talent.
Wether they were here before Bergevin or not is irrelevant, they are some of the building blocks he wants to build with.

Every prospect can end up a bust, we are talking "upside" not "downside". Maybe McCarron is a bust but Crisp turns into the next Lucic.

Beaulieu has huge upside, skating + hockey sense + above average puck skills with a bit of an edge. He needs maturity, but he has high end upside, as much as PK at the same age.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 06:15 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Wether they were here before Bergevin or not is irrelevant, they are some of the building blocks he wants to build with.

Every prospect can end up a bust, we are talking "upside" not "downside". Maybe McCarron is a bust but Crisp turns into the next Lucic.

Beaulieu has huge upside, skating + hockey sense + above average puck skills with a bit of an edge. He needs maturity, but he has high end upside, as much as PK at the same age.
My post was directed at someone that said he had no reason to doubt MB, that he loves his building through the draft.

My point was that all our kids are from the previous management group, aside from Gally. So essentially we're crediting him for not moving our prospects? Quite the reach in order to give him props.

In terms of prospects and drafting, we still have no idea. We'll have to wait and see before claiming he's done good.

PK's development skyrocketed, comparing Beaulieu is not fair.

Old
09-24-2013, 06:17 PM
StellerEller

Quote:
Well no, it's not irrelevant. I like big Mac and Fucale too, but it's still way too soon to say they have high end ceiling. Sure, you can have fun and say it, but it's completely useless as they're too far away.
A ceiling is their top projected potential. My point was the team has begun to build up a number of prospects like this while simultaneously revamping and improving the development system in place. So it is generally irrelevant if McCarron for example takes 1 year or 3 years to be NHL ready because in the end we will have at least a solid roster player with a style thats desperately needed. Also as I said were competitive now, so MB has given them the time to properly grow.

I dont see how its useless to evaluate the variety and quality of the prospect pool. I think you might be ffeeling that im counting chickens before they hatch but im not. I just feel that MB, in the short time hes been here, has already taken huge steps to improving our future.

Old
09-24-2013, 06:56 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
A ceiling is their top projected potential. My point was the team has begun to build up a number of prospects like this while simultaneously revamping and improving the development system in place. So it is generally irrelevant if McCarron for example takes 1 year or 3 years to be NHL ready because in the end we will have at least a solid roster player with a style thats desperately needed. Also as I said were competitive now, so MB has given them the time to properly grow.

I dont see how its useless to evaluate the variety and quality of the prospect pool. I think you might be ffeeling that im counting chickens before they hatch but im not. I just feel that MB, in the short time hes been here, has already taken huge steps to improving our future.
MB was the GM I wanted here, so I don't want you to think I'm hating on the guy. But I feel people go out of their way to give him credit.

Point remains, we don't know what we have in McCarron. We don't. You want to give him credit for picking a guy that has big potential but is nothing but a project thus far, go for it, but that's pretty crazy. You can credit every GM in the league for doing this.

Our prospect pool is currently filled with plenty of picks from previous administration.

He surrounded the team with his buddies. Everybody believes this was a good move. We'll see if our prospect development improves.
But giving him credit for things that aren't yet determined is jumping the gun.

Old
09-24-2013, 07:03 PM
Maxpac

Quote:

Point remains, we don't know what we have in McCarron. We don't. You want to give him credit for picking a guy that has big potential but is nothing but a project thus far, go for it, but that's pretty crazy. You can credit every GM in the league for doing this.

Our prospect pool is currently filled with plenty of picks from previous administration.
You can't argue that the 2012, 2013 drafts have been our 2 best in atleast a decade. Bergevin's obssession with character is because he knows that people who have character usually work hatder to achieve their potential, whatever that potential may be.!it's probably what he saw in McCarron.

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 07:10 PM
StellerEller

Quote:
MB was the GM I wanted here, so I don't want you to think I'm hating on the guy. But I feel people go out of their way to give him credit.

He surrounded the team with his buddies. Everybody believes this was a good move. We'll see if our prospect development improves.
But giving him credit for things that aren't yet determined is jumping the gun.
You make a good argument and I know you're not hating on him. My point is that because you never know where a prospect will be, the fact that he's stocking our cupboards with solid picks is worth giving him credit.

I do have to concede that though he's gone out of his way to restaff our player development, we do have to wait to be sure it will pay off. On the other hand, im glad he's brought in non ex-habs for the most part, and I'm very glad that we're using the team's wealth to have a large staff with very specific positions (for example Breezer in charge of mentoring guys on how to be a pro, which is perfect for him).

I appreciate your cautious optimism and your even keel. I think there are times where I need to bring my expectations down and be realistic. But despite the point you make about us waiting and seeing: for all we can evaluate right now, MB has done a good job with the youth. Now that doesn't mean every prospect is going to blossom or even make the NHL, but the abundance of quality prospects and the fact that he's epsecially focussed on ensuring our best players are homegrown seems logical, efficient, and promising. It's a strategy that keeps us competitive and is less demanding on touted prospects who often need more time before making the jump. That's where my trust comes from. But as I said, I think you make an important argument to remember.

Old
09-24-2013, 07:37 PM
SpreeEndaz

DUDE! Blue cheese rocks! (Am I late to that party?)

SpreeEndaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 07:39 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpreeEndaz View Post
i'd say pretty much, yeah!

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 07:51 PM
Tusk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpreeEndaz View Post
As long as you're here.

Tusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 08:03 PM
Phil Parent
Djee-zosse!

I think Ron and Bergevin are a great pair to listen to, personally. Ron is not a wooden interviewer and Bergevin is very eager to give actual answers to those questions.

Bergevin is very REAL as a guess. The way he talks, you wouldn't know he was a GM.

Sure is a change from the previous guy who occupied Bergevin's office.

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 08:37 PM
1UP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
I think Ron and Bergevin are a great pair to listen to, personally. Ron is not a wooden interviewer and Bergevin is very eager to give actual answers to those questions.

Bergevin is very REAL as a guess. The way he talks, you wouldn't know he was a GM.

Sure is a change from the previous guy who occupied Bergevin's office.
Ron Fournier + Pierre Gauthier? Granted you're locking the room and Gauthier has to answer at least something, it could have been legendary.

1UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 08:49 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
You make a good argument and I know you're not hating on him. My point is that because you never know where a prospect will be, the fact that he's stocking our cupboards with solid picks is worth giving him credit.

I do have to concede that though he's gone out of his way to restaff our player development, we do have to wait to be sure it will pay off. On the other hand, im glad he's brought in non ex-habs for the most part, and I'm very glad that we're using the team's wealth to have a large staff with very specific positions (for example Breezer in charge of mentoring guys on how to be a pro, which is perfect for him).

I appreciate your cautious optimism and your even keel. I think there are times where I need to bring my expectations down and be realistic. But despite the point you make about us waiting and seeing: for all we can evaluate right now, MB has done a good job with the youth. Now that doesn't mean every prospect is going to blossom or even make the NHL, but the abundance of quality prospects and the fact that he's epsecially focussed on ensuring our best players are homegrown seems logical, efficient, and promising. It's a strategy that keeps us competitive and is less demanding on touted prospects who often need more time before making the jump. That's where my trust comes from. But as I said, I think you make an important argument to remember.
But that's why I said the good prospects are from previous administration.
You just can't say the picks that MB has made are solid yet. You can choose to be optimistic, but essentially we really have no idea what big Mac, Colberg, Hudon, Thrower, Andrighetto, Fucale, are all going to turn out.
I like the picks he's made, but I can't give him credit for something that's unknown.

Tinordi, Bournival, Beaulieu at least have had one season in the AHL under the Bergevin administration. But you have to recognize that the previous organization also deserves merit in developing them as they've been under them for much longer.
The prospects that are under this current admin are too far away to really judge. I'm certainly pleased with them thus far, but still, you can't give a definitive props to MB for them.

Last edited by Kriss E: 09-24-2013 at 08:57 PM.
Old
09-24-2013, 09:23 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
You can't argue that the 2012, 2013 drafts have been our 2 best in atleast a decade. Bergevin's obssession with character is because he knows that people who have character usually work hatder to achieve their potential, whatever that potential may be.!it's probably what he saw in McCarron.
In 2012 we had the highest draft pick that we'd had in over 30 years. I'd certainly hope that we'd get something good out of it.

2013 was believed to be one of the deepest drafts of all-time (still to be seen) so again, I'd hope to manage something good out of this. When you're able to draft Fucale in the 2nd round the draft's gotta be pretty good.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote