HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread IV: Top-6 Center Stop Gaps? Super Heavyweights?

Closed Thread

Old
09-24-2013, 07:12 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by duul View Post
MacT might be handcuffed right now to package one of Smid/N.Schultz plus our first rounder for a decent centre. Something has to be done at this point.
Talk about acting out of desperation.

Old
09-24-2013, 07:18 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
Talk about acting out of desperation.
if only somebody could have seen this type of thing as a potential problem... if only there were people who could have seen our lack of center depth, and realized that it was a major, major issue... oh yeah, thats right, i forgot - literally every oilers fan on the freaking PLANET thought this was a major issue... but i guess our fearless leader macT didn't get the memo

jesus-help-us, our team is run by a bunch of clueless monkeys

Old
09-24-2013, 07:26 PM
duul

vCash: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
if only somebody could have seen this type of thing as a potential problem... if only there were people who could have seen our lack of center depth, and realized that it was a major, major issue... oh yeah, thats right, i forgot - literally every oilers fan on the freaking PLANET thought this was a major issue... but i guess our fearless leader macT didn't get the memo

Calm down. Any team that has their top two C's injured is going to be in trouble. Imagine Pittsburgh without Crosby/Malking or Chicago without Toews/Kane. It's highly unlikely that both 6 centres get injured, so I'm unsure what you were expecting MacT to do prior to this situation.

Old
09-24-2013, 07:28 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Quote:

Jesus help us, we have bunch of clueless posters. Seriously you are being a lemming towards a cliff.

Give it a wee bit of time. Top 2 centers don't magically become available. I have faith MacT will do something.

Old
09-24-2013, 07:31 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
Jesus help us, we have bunch of clueless posters. Seriously you are being a lemming towards a cliff.

Give it a wee bit of time. Top 2 centers don't magically become available. I have faith MacT will do something.
based on what exactly? he was quoted as saying that the center depth was fine in the summer, and didn't do one single thing to shore it up because of this (incorrect) idea

how stating the obvious inadequacies of macT makes me a "lemming", i'm not entirely sure... blindly following the leader (macT) would make *you* the lemming would it not?

Old
09-24-2013, 07:33 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Quote:
based on what exactly? he was quoted as saying that the center depth was fine in the summer, and didn't do one single thing to shore it up because of this (incorrect) idea

how stating the obvious inadequacies of macT makes me a "lemming", i'm not entirely sure... blindly following the leader (macT) would make *you* the lemming would it not?
I'm not blindly following though. I liked what he did during the off season. He did make some moves, unlike the GM before no? But hey, he's a dummy by your standards.

But no, this is a forum where panic is the norm. I mean seriously it's been like half an hour since Gagner will be gone for 2 months, and boom, MacT's fault.

As Duul said, any team would be boned if they lost both top two centers. Don't act like this is on piss poor management.

Old
09-24-2013, 07:33 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by duul View Post
Calm down. Any team that has their top two C's injured is going to be in trouble. Imagine Pittsburgh without Crosby/Malking or Chicago without Toews/Kane. It's highly unlikely that both 6 centres get injured, so I'm unsure what you were expecting MacT to do prior to this situation.
i was expecting macT to come to the same, rational, realization that pretty much every oilers fan and oilers reporter in the world had come to in the offseason: that our C depth was terrible, and needed to be addressed

our C depth was very, very bad before the gagner injury, as he knew about the RNH injury beforehand ... lots of articles were written about it, and we discussed it on HF a lot as well... how macT couldn't have realized this as well is beyond me, it was a obvious as the nose on my face

Old
09-24-2013, 07:34 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
I'm not blindly following though. I liked what he did during the off season. He did make some moves, unlike the GM before no? But hey, he's a dummy by your standards.

But no, this is a forum where panic is the norm. I mean seriously it's been like half an hour since Gagner will be gone for 2 months, and boom, MacT's fault.

As Duul said, any team would be boned if they lost both top two centers. Don't act like this is on piss poor management.
if you can't see this as being blatantly obvious, then i can't help you and its best we stop talking about it... have a good one

Old
09-24-2013, 07:36 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Quote:
if you can't see this as being blatantly obvious, then i can't help you and its best we stop talking about it... have a good one
Like some posters said: I don't think ANY gm was counting on their #2 to go out for a long period of time.

It's utter garbage to think otherwise.

Old
09-24-2013, 07:42 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:
Who should MacT bring in?

Old
09-24-2013, 08:08 PM
Comrade Blunderbore
Генерал Файлюра

does it make sense to try and get Pirri from Chicago? don't know much about him, but he looks not too small, also was a great scorer in the AHL. or is he just another Arcobello?

Old
09-24-2013, 08:12 PM
Del Preston

vCash: 50
Can the team at least play a game before people start losing their minds?

Old
09-24-2013, 08:33 PM
belair

Taking a swing at big Joe Colborne keeps looking better and better as time moves on. A potential opportunity for a two month stint in the top six of a team coached by Eakins and Acton may just be what the doctor ordered for the kid.

Add to that the fact that his stock is just plummeting in Toronto with the Raymond signing and we might scoop him for a middling prospect/pick package.

John Mitchell is intriguing as well, but I'm not convinced that he's head and shoulders above Acton, Hamilton, Pitlick or Lander for the 4C spot, considering where he wants out of.

Old
09-24-2013, 08:44 PM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Quote:

LOL, the lack of depth has nothing to do with piss poor management. Gee, what wisdom.

Weren't you the biggest supporter of that idiot GM before, and the one before that? Maybe before you go off on your bait and attack missions, you should look at your own rah, rah track record.

Old
09-24-2013, 08:52 PM
Panda Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by belair View Post
Taking a swing at big Joe Colborne keeps looking better and better as time moves on. A potential opportunity for a two month stint in the top six of a team coached by Eakins and Acton may just be what the doctor ordered for the kid.

Add to that the fact that his stock is just plummeting in Toronto with the Raymond signing and we might scoop him for a middling prospect/pick package.

John Mitchell is intriguing as well, but I'm not convinced that he's head and shoulders above Acton, Hamilton, Pitlick or Lander for the 4C spot, considering where he wants out of.
I'd love to snag Colborne.

Getting Johnny Malkin would be great for 4C because I love that nickname.

Old
09-24-2013, 08:53 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
So Rainy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone View Post
LOL, the lack of depth has nothing to do with piss poor management. Gee, what wisdom.
So what you're saying is you don't understand what it means to lose the #1 and #2 centers then. Fair enough.

Old
09-24-2013, 08:56 PM
Senor Catface

vCash: 1937
Quote:
So basically, if someone doesn't agree with your far reaching position, you just checkout? Sort of defeats the purpose of a message board unless you're only here to rant and run.

Old
09-24-2013, 09:09 PM
Arpeggio

Thank god Hall moved to center, that's all I'll say. He's a legit #1, so the Oilers still have one of those.

Old
09-24-2013, 09:18 PM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

Th Oilers were going into the season with:

1Gagner
2Gordon
3/4(Lander/Arcobello/Acton)

The bottom 2 centres were guaranteed to have less than 70 games of NHL experience between them. Essentially those 3 players for the bottom 2 spots could be at best called NHL/AHL tweeners and realistically you would really want only 1 of them called up due to injuries during the season.

To go into the season with that type of centre depth wasn't really logical or prudent as you had to know (or should have known) that one more injury at the centre position basically gutters the start of the season.... which has now happened.

Last season they had essentially the exact same situation happen when they lost several key centres at once so it's not as if it wasn't burnt into their memories from just a few months ago.

That's why so many fans are saying MacT didn't take the lack of centre depth in the org seriously.

They dumped Horcoff, Smithson and Belanger and picked up Gordon.

Arguably Horcoff for Gordon was a wash... most would say Gordon is better... a few might even give an edge to Horc... but whatever... it was a centre in and a centre out so a reasonable move by MacT.

Smithson and Belanger (and VandeVelde if you want to stretch the case) were replaced by? No one really... not with any real NHL experience anyway.

Acton, Arcobello and Lander are basically it at C unless you really want to dredge deep and start talking about guys like Martindale (AHLer at best) or putting Smyth at centre yet again (couldn't imagine that would get a better result this year than last).

So basically they planned on 2 centres with little to no NHL experience and had NO plan for injuries that could occur.

Hence the Hall to centre plan... now I guess it's the Eberle to C plan as well... maybe it will be Belov to C plan next.

I don't think it's lemming-like to see that the Oilers had awful depth at C BEFORE this injury to Gagner... now it's abysmal.

Let's hope there is a decent C on waivers that MacT can snag to help salvage the situation. Just our luck there will be another dman or winger that catches his eye instead.

Old
09-24-2013, 09:30 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
So what you're saying is you don't understand what it means to lose the #1 and #2 centers then. Fair enough.
When the guy who *****es and moans about management, says he'll burn his season tickets, then i'll take him seriously.

Till then, I question why he supports the Oilers if he hates management. Or why he gets season tickets to begin with.

Old
09-25-2013, 12:07 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Perron's play is making me realize how worthless our 2nd round picks are in terms of what they're bringing us.

I mean other than Petry (anomaly for this franchise) - we haven't really done much with 2nd round picks in the past 10 years.

McDonald, JFJ, Paukovich, Tesliuk, Chorney, Lander, Pitlick, Marincin, Musil, Moroz, Roy.

These guys have all done nothing.

Other teams do a great job of making finds in the 2nd round. We don't. Management has to have realized this. There are 2 solutions to this:

1) Major shake-up with the scouts
2) Start dealing the picks to teams that value them.

If you could swing an MPS-for-Perron type deal every year using 2nd round picks - this team would be a factory for success.

Old
09-25-2013, 12:12 AM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Human View Post
Perron's play is making me realize how worthless our 2nd round picks are in terms of what they're bringing us.

I mean other than Petry (anomaly for this franchise) - we haven't really done much with 2nd round picks in the past 10 years.

McDonald, JFJ, Paukovich, Tesliuk, Chorney, Lander, Pitlick, Marincin, Musil, Moroz, Roy.

These guys have all done nothing.

Other teams do a great job of making finds in the 2nd round. We don't. Management has to have realized this. There are 2 solutions to this:

1) Major shake-up with the scouts
2) Start dealing the picks to teams that value them.

If you could swing an MPS-for-Perron type deal every year using 2nd round picks - this team would be a factory for success.
I'd say 5 of them still have a shot at making it. For some it's a long shot.

Old
09-25-2013, 12:15 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldNewLettuce View Post
I'd say 5 of them still have a shot at making it. For some it's a long shot.
Well Lander/Marincin/Musil/Roy/Pitlick all have a "chance" - but I doubt they become the players we projected them to be when they eventually pan out.

Case in point - Colin McDonald is now an everyday NHLer with the Islanders - a 4th liner at that.

Old
09-25-2013, 12:31 AM
Distinct

Not sure why MacT stated on tsn that he's just going to patch this center issue up internally. There are plenty of options that could fill in for the top 6 during injuries. Then when we get healthy they push players like Acton down the depth chart.

Possible options;

Wellwood
Colborne
Mitchell
Connolly

Old
09-25-2013, 12:38 AM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senor Catface View Post
So basically, if someone doesn't agree with your far reaching position, you just checkout? Sort of defeats the purpose of a message board unless you're only here to rant and run.
no, i just don't see the point in arguing for long periods of time on the internet with somebody who clearly feels very differently than i do.... i've wasted enough of my time on this forum, no use wasting more debating when neither of us is very likely to change our opinion

Closed Thread