HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Canadiens are scary but with great potential

Old
11-23-2006, 03:46 PM
MalcomOdd

vCash: 500
Canadiens are scary but with great potential

All Canadiens victories have not succeeded to convince me. There is always a sense that they have been lucky and undeserved wins. Nothing to reassure anyone, a lot of indiscipline, inability to play all 60 minutes of a game, Kovalev looking lazy not back-checking and even taking the time to talk with Brodeur about how he made a save. This is not by any means a ‘show by example’ that should be represented to the young players.

Of all the millions paid to our players, only Koivu deserves them and more for his effort than for his results. As a veteran he takes very good care of the youth, may it be Higgins or Latendresse –hey even Ryder belongs to this category really. This year Bonk deserves his salary more than Kovalev’s his, let alone Samsonov and Niinimaa. Kovalev should have taken more care of Perezhogin and Kostitsyn. If he is playing on only one leg, he should take a week off and go in Hamilton to show off his stick handling to the youth.

On the other hand, the line balance with youthful talents is providing a little hope. Our best player in terms of results and effort during 60 full minutes, Higgins, is on the disabled list and now we see Latendresse on the first line giving a good impression. A nice progression can be seen. Perezhogin with Bonk and Johnson are awesome and even if Bonk would get hurt, Plekanec would do fine for he impressed with Johnson during training camp. These two lines are solid.

Saddening multi millionaires on the second line with Samsonov skating in circles with a just a little puck control and Kovalev, well Kovalev I have said enough. Those two are the ones that must bring the team to the CUP. Hopefully they will begin to play before March arrives. For the cup my friends will not be for 2007-2008, it is this year or nothing for some time.

Next year we loose Bonk, Markov and Souray. We will look like this years Senators and be building for 3 years with a very entertaining group of kids. Then without Kovy, Koivu and Samsonov we may get an other trill.

MalcomOdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2006, 03:51 PM
Raider917

vCash: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcomOdd View Post
All Canadiens victories have not succeeded to convince me. There is always a sense that they have been lucky and undeserved wins. Nothing to reassure anyone, a lot of indiscipline, inability to play all 60 minutes of a game, Kovalev looking lazy not back-checking and even taking the time to talk with Brodeur about how he made a save. This is not by any means a ‘show by example’ that should be represented to the young players.

Of all the millions paid to our players, only Koivu deserves them and more for his effort than for his results. As a veteran he takes very good care of the youth, may it be Higgins or Latendresse –hey even Ryder belongs to this category really. This year Bonk deserves his salary more than Kovalev’s his, let alone Samsonov and Niinimaa. Kovalev should have taken more care of Perezhogin and Kostitsyn. If he is playing on only one leg, he should take a week off and go in Hamilton to show off his stick handling to the youth.

On the other hand, the line balance with youthful talents is providing a little hope. Our best player in terms of results and effort during 60 full minutes, Higgins, is on the disabled list and now we see Latendresse on the first line giving a good impression. A nice progression can be seen. Perezhogin with Bonk and Johnson are awesome and even if Bonk would get hurt, Plekanec would do fine for he impressed with Johnson during training camp. These two lines are solid.

Saddening multi millionaires on the second line with Samsonov skating in circles with a just a little puck control and Kovalev, well Kovalev I have said enough. Those two are the ones that must bring the team to the CUP. Hopefully they will begin to play before March arrives. For the cup my friends will not be for 2007-2008, it is this year or nothing for some time.

Next year we loose Bonk, Markov and Souray. We will look like this years Senators and be building for 3 years with a very entertaining group of kids. Then without Kovy, Koivu and Samsonov we may get an other trill.

losing markov wont help anything

Raider917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2006, 03:53 PM
Matthew G

And we should trade Souray while he's hot!

Matthew G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2006, 03:54 PM
Catch-22

Losing Koivu won't help either. Remember the playoffs last year...

Catch-22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2006, 03:55 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

I think we won less 1 goal games this year than last and the team has better chemistry than last year, also this year the players laugh at practice and have fun...that wasn't the case last year with Julien and the divided locker room. I'm not saying this team is perfect but we sure are more united than last year. Also losing Markov and Souray means bye bye PP and losing Bonk is a big blow to the PK, just look at our record last year when Markov was injured (it wasn't pretty!)

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2006, 03:57 PM
Dogbert*

Send a message via MSN to Dogbert*
I hate to think of things like this, but you're very accurate with a lot of your points. We'll be fine up front in the future, but the lack of depth as far as our defensive prospects go concerns me; Gainey will need to sign a few blueliners if Markov and Souray walk, because there's really nobody there who's ready to step in and pick up the slack.

That being said, I also think that this team can be a Cup contender right now if some of the vets would pull up their socks. Who knows how good the Habs would be if Kovalev and Samsonov were scoring like they can?

Dogbert* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2006, 03:59 PM
Turbo

This just seems like the typical pessimist fan point of view - where the few negatives outshine the many positives. Of course the team has flaws and is far from perfect. But anything can happen in a hockey season. Some teams look unbeatable and then bow out early in the playoffs (i.e.: Detroit, Ottawa last year). Others surprise us when we least expect it. Others give us a really good show. Just enjoy the ride and see where it goes. The here and now of the Habs is the best we've seen in a decade. We can worry about bombing if it actually happens.

Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2006, 04:00 PM
MalcomOdd

Quote:
For the cup my friends will not be for 2007-2008, it is this year or nothing for some timel.

MalcomOdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2006, 04:12 PM
RC51

For those that think so negative, remember this, we have not seen one game when all 3 lines were going well.

NOT ONE GAME.
Cure this one thing, see the all 3 lines show up and have a strong game, just one, and all the negative will blow away.

Get one glimps of what the Habs can do if and if and if shows up.

20 games and still not cured, well give Gainey 20 more and see.
After all is said and done, the last 20 then the playoffs is where it's important. If it's all fixed by then the Habs will be a force.

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2006, 04:17 PM
Better With Age*

These points are why I'm so excited. The 2nd line is playing well under potential, the first line is good but can do better imo, the fourth line is not what it was last season either, and Markov, though playing well still has more to give.

What all this means is that this team is not firing on all cylinders yet is already a top team.

And with Gainey at the helm, (making key moves that most of us, (admit it) didn't think were significant (getting Johnson for nothing, keeping Abby, keeping Latendresse etc...) we're in great shape.

The team has done nothing but steadily improve since he took over and it will continue to do so. Just think how far we've come. I sit down for all games now knowing we'll be in it and expecting to win.

Better With Age* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2006, 04:38 PM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Better With Age View Post
These points are why I'm so excited. The 2nd line is playing well under potential, the first line is good but can do better imo, the fourth line is not what it was last season either, and Markov, though playing well still has more to give.

What all this means is that this team is not firing on all cylinders yet is already a top team.

And with Gainey at the helm, (making key moves that most of us, (admit it) didn't think were significant (getting Johnson for nothing, keeping Abby, keeping Latendresse etc...) we're in great shape.

The team has done nothing but steadily improve since he took over and it will continue to do so. Just think how far we've come. I sit down for all games now knowing we'll be in it and expecting to win.

The original post won me over and now reading this has won me over again. I don't know whether to be negative or positive with this team. On one hand it may just be a waiting game to see exactly when the entire team will be on the same page, and on the other hand it might be the way some of these players will always play (when has Kovalev or Samsonov ever consistantly played for an entire season in the last 5 years?)

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2006, 05:03 PM
Slew Foots
Haters gonna hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew G View Post
Souray will always be hot...euhhh I mean...yeah...

Slew Foots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2006, 05:09 PM
Ross MacLochness

Quote:
For the cup my friends will not be for 2007-2008, it is this year or nothing for some time.

Can you explain what the hell this all means?

This year is our only real shot for the cup? Your certain none of Markov, Bonk, and Souray will return? Then next year we start rebuilding, and after Koivu, and Kovalev are gone in 3 years from now we'll challenge for the cup? (Whatever 'get another thrill means')

Did I understand this all right? Please don't tell me you actually believe this.

a. This year is not our only chance for a cup
b. 2 of Markov, Souray, Bonk will most likely be back. If only 1 is back, we will have the money to replace the other 2. And youth if need be.
c. We will not be rebuilding next year
d. We will not be rebuilding for the next 3 years with 'a very entertaining group of kids'.
e. Losing Koivu in three years will not give us a better shot at the cup.
f. We will not be losing Koivu in 3 years.
g. Koivu is only leaving after he has a cup.

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2006, 05:12 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

I don't have a problem with winning the cup this year.

sXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2006, 05:18 PM
Nobak

Unless the cap goes up again this year, free agent movement should be down somewhat. With a large cap increase, every single team started the summer with cap room. I don't expect this to be the case this year, and it should hopefully help retain some of our UFAs.

Nobak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2006, 05:18 PM
ppil

What I like about this team is that except for Kovalev and Samsonov, every player seems to have fun and want to be a part of this team, I like our leaders, I like how our young guys are growing up, I like how Huet is showing that he wasn't just a flash in the pan, but I agree with you and I said it a couples of times, it is this year or it may take a while before we see the cup because not only do we have 3 big UFA defenceman, but I think that we will have to resign Higgins(0.693M), Komo(0.947M), Perez(0.627M) and Pleks(0.450M) and all those guys are sign for really cheap for what they bring to the team so they will get big raises.

ppil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2006, 05:40 PM
tritone

Quote:
All Canadiens victories have not succeeded to convince me.
Really? Carolina was shutout, what about the Tampa game? Looked pretty damn convincing to me.
Does it take a 9-0 game???

tritone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2006, 05:43 PM
KaptainKourage*

I say the Habs are scary good and have great potential

There's a point I think we miss in
In the air we rise our fists in
In the smile we cast each others
My sister, My brother

KaptainKourage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2006, 06:02 PM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Better With Age View Post

Thinking the exact same here, we havent played a single game where all our lines were playing well and we havent played a single game either with a fully healthy roster.

Just cant wait! me wants Higgins back in the lineup NOW!

We did good defensively considering we had to play Niinimaa, now he's gone... If we just can get 4 lines rolling we'll have tons of fun this winter!

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2006, 06:04 PM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tritone View Post
Really? Carolina was shutout, what about the Tampa game? Looked pretty damn convincing to me.
Does it take a 9-0 game???
And let's not forget the game against Atlanta, we were almost perfect defensively and we shut down the best line in the NHL, Kozlov-Kovalchuk-Hossa!

Old
11-23-2006, 06:14 PM
Sthabs

Habs don t have enough talent to just rely on it to win
We MUST work hard everynight
Some nights, we were just not here (that game vs chicago, vs florida, one vs the leafs) or sometimes players tend to just rely on the goalie...

But when the habs are working hard, for 60 minutes, we can compete against anyone in this league

Sthabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2006, 06:28 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew G View Post
Ya let's trade all the players when they are hot so we can miss the playoffs but get a bunch of youth.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2006, 06:41 PM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sthabs View Post
Habs don t have enough talent to just rely on it to win
We MUST work hard everynight
Some nights, we were just not here (that game vs chicago, vs florida, one vs the leafs) or sometimes players tend to just rely on the goalie...

But when the habs are working hard, for 60 minutes, we can compete against anyone in this league

True, but true for the 29 other teams as well, days where a team could just show up to get the 2 points are over.

Old
11-23-2006, 07:21 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbert View Post
I hate to think of things like this, but you're very accurate with a lot of your points. We'll be fine up front in the future, but the lack of depth as far as our defensive prospects go concerns me; Gainey will need to sign a few blueliners if Markov and Souray walk, because there's really nobody there who's ready to step in and pick up the slack.

That being said, I also think that this team can be a Cup contender right now if some of the vets would pull up their socks. Who knows how good the Habs would be if Kovalev and Samsonov were scoring like they can?
My Grandma used to use that expression all the time. You don't hear it much anymore.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2006, 07:33 PM
DieHardHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sXe View Post
I don't have a problem with winning the cup this year.
haha i love it... i want it as my signature!!

DieHardHabs is offline   Reply With Quote