HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Training Camp: Nurse, Fedun, Pitlick & Lander Assigned. Ryan Jones waived

Old
09-25-2013, 12:56 AM
ohheyhemsky
Regehr DooDoo

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanahanigans View Post
Oh man, Nurse's exit interview was heartbreaking to watch. He looked devastated. Things are only looking up for him.
I was just about to say this. This guy wants to be here. That's a very good sign. Tough to see a kid who deserves a spot get knocked down(in a correct decision, mind you).

ohheyhemsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 01:08 AM
OilNAmerica

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
So what about Jones then?
Jones has been placed on waivers. I have an inside source.

OilNAmerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 01:12 AM
The Nuge
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilNAmerica View Post
Sure you do...

The Nuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 01:15 AM
McShogun99

Feel bad for Nurse but this was the best move for him. Pitlick will see some time with the big club and will probably be a regular next year.

McShogun99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 01:15 AM
The Nuge
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post
i dont hate him.

i really hate jones.

you know whats really funny all these people saying "jones doesn't have it this year, the eye injury really hurt him blhablah"

this is exactly how jones has looked for 2 years. hes always been a floater, hes always been poor at clearly the puck, keeping tabs on his point coverage, bad passing. but he manage to pick up some nice goal totals on some terrible teams which in combination with his size made everyone think he was a player.
He's got a nose for the net, and is a hard worker. Those guys have always been fan favorites in Oil country. I don't think he was as bad as you make him sound, but he definitely was a tad overrated

Old
09-25-2013, 01:22 AM
The Nuge
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohheyhemsky View Post
I was just about to say this. This guy wants to be here. That's a very good sign. Tough to see a kid who deserves a spot get knocked down(in a correct decision, mind you).
Ya you just know he's going to be a player. He's too driven not to be. I was wanting Nichushkin, but after seeing this kid for a couple weeks, I'm confident we got the right guy. If we comes in to camp next year over 200 lbs, it'll be impossible to keep him off the roster.

I really hope management made sure Nurse knows just how well he played. The kid proved he is good enough to be here, but he's just not big enough, and we have too many guys that already have a spot.

Old
09-25-2013, 01:24 AM
OilNAmerica

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Sure you do...
I bet you. I don't need to justify myself but it was emotional for a lot of people in the organization

Old
09-25-2013, 01:25 AM
OilNAmerica

Quote:
I bet you. I don't need to justify myself but it was emotional for a lot of people in the organization
Tomorrow morning you shall know

Old
09-25-2013, 01:30 AM
Oiltankjob Fail

Quote:
I don't think you would post something like this on a whim.

Oiltankjob Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 01:31 AM
Soli
Supervision Required

This was absolutely the best move for Nurse.

Nurse answered a lot of questions I had about him coming into camp. His head up skating, his defensive savant, his ability to send the puck in the right direction. I have no question his game will translate to the NHL now. He has another level to his offensive game that is still untapped, but with everything else he has going for him, that's the least of our concerns.

It's going to sound weird, but his year of development in the OHL will be easier then expected. His biggest flaw is that he's not big enough. Keep hitting the gym, consume protein, hell, eat Big Macs every day. His second biggest flaw... he's not mean enough! Gain girth and just go out there an impose your will on the OHL. Dominate every opposition player.

I don't mean to sound so excited, but this kid has top pairing potential written all over him.

I can't wait to see him star in the WJC.

Soli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 01:32 AM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Sure you do...
For the most part I think people who say things like this are telling the truth. If you need to go on internet boards and make up **** to get your jollies then you really are one sad individual.

Quote:
So who takes his spot? Eager?

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 01:33 AM
Horseradish

I think Acton and Arcobello both have NHL careers ahead of them (not necessarily significant ones, but I could see both of them irking out a Toby Peterson-like career).

If we could sign Prospal though, he would give the team options on all 4 lines, another veteran presence, and allow for both Arco and Acton to round out their games more when everyone is healthy again.

That, and I hope Dallas puts Garbutt on waivers. I would LOVE him in place of Brown as a pest. He's got a similar skillset to Eager when Eager was a top-rate 4th liner. But he brings a bit more scoring and more of a pain-in-the-ass pest qualities.

Healthy Oilers Line-up:
Hall Gagner Ebs
Perron RNH Yakupov
Joensuu Gordon Hemsky
Smyth Prospal Garbutt
Ext: Mac and/or Eager

Petry-Smid
Ference-JSchultz
Belov-NSchultz
Ext: Larsen and/or Grebs

Dubey
LaBarbera

That's a quality lineup. I'm fine with all of Fedun, Potter, Acton, Arcobello and even Pitlick filling in in case of injury. But none of them should be so high up on the depth chart that they're regular NHLers with only 2 injuries in the team's top 12 forwards.

Horseradish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 01:35 AM
Oiltankjob Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
This was absolutely the best move for Nurse.

Nurse answered a lot of questions I had about him coming into camp. His head up skating, his defensive savant, his ability to send the puck in the right direction. I have no question his game will translate to the NHL now. He has another level to his offensive game that is still untapped, but with everything else he has going for him, that's the least of our concerns.

It's going to sound weird, but his year of development in the OHL will be easier then expected. His biggest flaw is that he's not big enough. Keep hitting the gym, consume protein, hell, eat Big Macs every day. His second biggest flaw... he's not mean enough! Gain girth and just go out there an impose your will on the OHL. Dominate every opposition player.

I don't mean to sound so excited, but this kid has top pairing potential written all over him.
I can't wait to see him star in the WJC.
Sure looking that way ,I was pretty disappointed after his first rookie tournament game ,but a believer after this camp.

Oiltankjob Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 01:35 AM
s7ark
McDavid!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Just PM'd you. Can you PM me your source?

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 01:36 AM
The Nuge
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Quote:
It's not the first time someone's claimed to have an "inside source" and been false. The mods know what posters do and don't have sources, and I don't recall you being one of the couple that do. If it proves to be true, then I appreciate the heads up, and hope you'll share in the future too

Old
09-25-2013, 01:37 AM
NAF
Beauty Fakes

vCash: 590
FWIW there's a guy posting in the PGT who says he's got inside knowledge of Jones being put on waivers tonight. Guess we'll see tomorrow if he's on the level, but I think that's the right call.

Edit: nice thread cleanup/restructuring, mods!

Last edited by NAF: 09-25-2013 at 02:03 AM.
NAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 01:41 AM
Lay Z Boy GM

If Jones gets waived in the morning then you'll know. Won't take long to find out. Interesting because what's the point in making something like that up if you're only going to fool people for a couple hours?

Lay Z Boy GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 01:43 AM
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle

Faith in Craig MacTahon and Dallas Eakins rising.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 01:43 AM
s7ark
McDavid!!!!!!!!!!!

Shame about Nurse. It is the best decision for him though. A year to mature and tear up the OHL will help him in the long run. Plus Canada can use him in the WJC.

Fedun is also very close. Won't be surprised at all to see him get a call up this season.

Pitlick needs to improve his offense, Lander needs to improve a lot.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 01:47 AM
KarmaPolice
Antics

vCash: 8069
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
Quote:
It would be the right call, IMO. This isn't just about this preseason; this goes back to last year. He just hasn't been nearly the same player he was before the eye injury, and even then he still had holes in his game, such as suspect defense. There seems to be guys that are forcing their way on the team with a better all around game and are more deserving of a 3rd/4th line role for now.

KarmaPolice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 01:49 AM
Shanahanigans

I've been one of Smyth's biggest critics over the past 1.5 seasons, but I have to say he looks good right now with Hall and Hemsky. He looks MUCH better than last year, and is keeping up with the play. I just hope Eakins doesn't play him 20 minutes and gas him because a tired Smyth is brutal.

Shanahanigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 01:50 AM
AlowlyMcOilersfan
Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Shame about Nurse. It is the best decision for him though. A year to mature and tear up the OHL will help him in the long run. Plus Canada can use him in the WJC.

Fedun is also very close. Won't be surprised at all to see him get a call up this season.

Pitlick needs to improve his offense, Lander needs to improve a lot.
At this point, it seems like Larsen is going to start the year with the big club. He's an intriguing player.

AlowlyMcOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 01:50 AM
Section337

Time in the AHL may help Jones, he has lost his game, because of his injury or something else I can't say, but he needs to find it. If he clears, hopefully he might have a better chance at re-establishing the stuff he was good at.

Section337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 01:54 AM
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle

I assume this is what we'll see:

Hall
Eberle
Yakupov
Perron
Hemsky
Arcobello
Gordon
Eager
Smyth
Brown
MacIntyre
Joensuu
Acton

Injured: RNH, Gagner

Ference
Smid
Petry
J. Schultz
Belov
Larsen
N. Schultz
Grebeshkov

Injured: Potter

Dubnyk
Labarbera

Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 01:55 AM
RisingSun
Feels good man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Just PM'd you. Can you PM me your source?
I'm not trying to dissent here or anything but I'm kinda curious why people have to reveal their sources to mods. I mean this is a message board filled with strangers, everything should be taken with a grain of salt and speculation. I work in a hospital and I've heard a couple of things go around occasionally whenever a oilers comes through, and one day maybe if I was intrigued enough to post one here, I wouldn't really want to risk revealling my source/info to another stranger. I would prefer you guys just hear the rumor as entertainment and spare myself of any potential trouble. Is it for legal reasons? Once again just curious, I don't mean any offense or any dissent towards any rules.

RisingSun is offline   Reply With Quote