HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pre #5|Tuesday, Sep. 24, 2013|Devils at Flyers | 7:00 p.m. ET ‎

Old
09-25-2013, 12:23 AM
GoneFullHextall
JR=clueless

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swic21 View Post
That's the thing he is so wildly inconsistent. And he's no longer young and allowed to be so inconsistent. He's 24 and I don't think he will be anything better than a 6-7 th d man. It's sad but true ( great song).
hes a young defenseman with under 100 games played in the NHL. he is going to have his ups and downs. guys like Gervais and gill or whatever other crap you want to throw out there they are what they are. patience is still needed with Gus. Yes he has struggled this preseason but he is not alone.

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 02:13 AM
dats81

vCash: 500
Maybe Lavi needs to simplify the defensive system again like he did when everyone got hurt by the end of last season? Worked pretty well.

I have a feeling the players just don't seem to get it or have issues understanding their roles. You can tell that at least half of the D look lost out there and maybe just maybe it's Lavi overcomplicating things by forcing a system on his players that just does not work.

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 04:47 AM
kudymen
4, 15, 38 and 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post
another great stream on hockeystreams..

gotta say im super happy with the service so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I've made a terrible mistake by staying with GC.
I know it's off topic, but after seeing those comments I have to ask - for a watcher in Europe, would you recommend hockeystreams, or gamecenter by NHL, please?

kudymen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 05:53 AM
fishstick

@Kudymen: in Europe GameCenter is cheaper and at least in my country you rarely have blackouts because the games are not shown on tv anyway. Plus, it's official so can't be closed because of legal issues.

fishstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 06:29 AM
chimrichalds18
the key

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
Mez and Gus are both trying really hard to give each other their jobs.
This. I thought Gus looked particularly bad, which is annoying because I'm really pulling for him. He just looks like he's trying too hard and overextending himself. That's almost always a recipe for disaster.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 06:58 AM
BillDineen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kudymen View Post
I know it's off topic, but after seeing those comments I have to ask - for a watcher in Europe, would you recommend hockeystreams, or gamecenter by NHL, please?
Good timing, I live in Europe and have gcl and hockey streams for the preseason. Hockey streams on demand isn't great compared to gcl, it buffers for a second or two and for last nights game froze in mid second period multiple times even after rebooting. I would not recommend it.

BillDineen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 07:07 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
This. I thought Gus looked particularly bad, which is annoying because I'm really pulling for him. He just looks like he's trying too hard and overextending himself. That's almost always a recipe for disaster.
Maybe give Dane another shot and see how well he does?

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 07:10 AM
Appleyard

On reflection after a good nights sleep:

The first period was awful, but we were the better team for two and three, even with the refs ignoring 3-4 pretty obvious interference penalties. I would not have been unhappy with the last 40 mins during regular season... especially against the Devils.

1st line: Looked fine, some good passing, the three of them obviously have chemistry and G looked fit and healthy, Voracek looked good until injured, Hartnell getting into good positions and grinding on the boards... Hartnell also had a damn nice screen on the Kimmo goal.

2nd line: Disappointing. All three showed glimpses of what they can do, Vinny looked good at times and made some very nice plays, Raffl grinded well and showed he can get in good positions, Schenn looked frustrated at times with the Devils system. Overall they looked a bit disjointed though, and disappeared for periods of time.

3rd line: Beastly. Read and Couts had chemistry, Couts looks better than ever, and more competent on the dot, the line is going to be hell to play against in both zones, is probably one of the best 3rd lines in the league, and maybe one of the best defensive lines in the league too. Only problem is I know Talbot will frustrate me over the year fluffing chances and disjointing play between Read and Couts, he is a fine player, and a good third liner, but frankly Couts and Read are a cut above and think faster.

4th line: Laughton looked good, battled well and made his linemates look better. Rosehill was Rosehill, what else can you say, Hall looked as advertised last year.

Defence:

These three looked like they could start the season tomorrow and be fine:

Kimmo was Kimmo.
Coburn was Coburn, showed some physicality though and at one point on a pinch angry Coburn came to play for 20 seconds, I think he will be fine this year.
Grossmann was Grossmann, the man is as strong as an Ox and mean, as we all know, and he can play positionally soundly and defend well.

Streit was so-so, did show his puck handling and passing ability, but got bullied once or twice and made a few bone headed plays.

Gus blew for 35 minutes, but then looked like Gus at the WC's and last season, still not great though.

Mez looked done. Sad. I like the guy so much, but he has seemingly lost some more maneuverability, which was once his strong point, and he was playing 1 second behind the play half the time. He just looked out of his depth. I hope I am wrong and he was just rusty.

Emery looked ok, did not feel worried at all on long shot, angled shots, point shots. His stickhandling is still good, his rebound control gets the pucks to corners, positionally very sound. However, at times he looked slow across the crease and got undressed twice on the goals, though the D really did not help.

Appleyard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 07:15 AM
Hiesenberg

Couturier looked very good, I didnt' even know Laughton was playing. I thought Raffl looked better from the 2nd period, I didn't catch the 3rd.

Hiesenberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 07:31 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleyard View Post
On reflection after a good nights sleep:

The first period was awful, but we were the better team for two and three, even with the refs ignoring 3-4 pretty obvious interference penalties. I would not have been unhappy with the last 40 mins during regular season... especially against the Devils.

1st line: Looked fine, some good passing, the three of them obviously have chemistry and G looked fit and healthy, Voracek looked good until injured, Hartnell getting into good positions and grinding on the boards... Hartnell also had a damn nice screen on the Kimmo goal.

2nd line: Disappointing. All three showed glimpses of what they can do, Vinny looked good at times and made some very nice plays, Raffl grinded well and showed he can get in good positions, Schenn looked frustrated at times with the Devils system. Overall they looked a bit disjointed though, and disappeared for periods of time.

3rd line: Beastly. Read and Couts had chemistry, Couts looks better than ever, and more competent on the dot, the line is going to be hell to play against in both zones, is probably one of the best 3rd lines in the league, and maybe one of the best defensive lines in the league too. Only problem is I know Talbot will frustrate me over the year fluffing chances and disjointing play between Read and Couts, he is a fine player, and a good third liner, but frankly Couts and Read are a cut above and think faster.

4th line: Laughton looked good, battled well and made his linemates look better. Rosehill was Rosehill, what else can you say, Hall looked as advertised last year.

Defence:

These three looked like they could start the season tomorrow and be fine:

Kimmo was Kimmo.
Coburn was Coburn, showed some physicality though and at one point on a pinch angry Coburn came to play for 20 seconds, I think he will be fine this year.
Grossmann was Grossmann, the man is as strong as an Ox and mean, as we all know, and he can play positionally soundly and defend well.

Streit was so-so, did show his puck handling and passing ability, but got bullied once or twice and made a few bone headed plays.

Gus blew for 35 minutes, but then looked like Gus at the WC's and last season, still not great though.

Mez looked done. Sad. I like the guy so much, but he has seemingly lost some more maneuverability, which was once his strong point, and he was playing 1 second behind the play half the time. He just looked out of his depth. I hope I am wrong and he was just rusty.

Emery looked ok, did not feel worried at all on long shot, angled shots, point shots. His stickhandling is still good, his rebound control gets the pucks to corners, positionally very sound. However, at times he looked slow across the crease and got undressed twice on the goals, though the D really did not help.
Agree 100%, real nice breakdown.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 08:44 AM
Curufinwe

Could they have picked another player to take Jake's penalty shot since he was hurt?

Curufinwe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 08:46 AM
Hollywood Couturier
#NoHonorForConnor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Could they have picked another player to take Jake's penalty shot since he was hurt?
Yes,

Quote:
If by reason of injury, the player designated by the Referee to take the penalty shot is unable to do so within a reasonable time, the shot may be taken by a player selected by the Captain of the non-offending team from the players on the ice when the foul was committed. Such selection shall be reported to the Referee and cannot be changed.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 08:49 AM
Curufinwe

They should have had Read take it then.

Old
09-25-2013, 08:57 AM
Crescent Street
Saturday Nite Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
Good timing, I live in Europe and have gcl and hockey streams for the preseason. Hockey streams on demand isn't great compared to gcl, it buffers for a second or two and for last nights game froze in mid second period multiple times even after rebooting. I would not recommend it.
Did you select a European server to connect to from the server selection on the feed? Zero buffering or skipping last night here.

I will say it again, if you enjoy 30 frames per second and blurred feeds during quick camera movements (happens a lot in hockey), then go with GCL. If you like 60 frames per second with zero blur, go with Hockeystreams.

Crescent Street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 09:13 AM
Codith

Gus and Mesz were terrible out there, I don't think Gus has the composure, and Mesz looks like a guy who has played very limited time due to being injured all the time. I'd rather see the Dane up here playing.

Codith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 09:14 AM
StandingCow

Quote:
They should have had Read take it then.
Yea, you could tell JV didn't have it in him to give it much of an effort... he probably has bruised ribs.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 09:25 AM
bennysflyers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
Couturier looked very good, I didnt' even know Laughton was playing. I thought Raffl looked better from the 2nd period, I didn't catch the 3rd.
I thought this was Laughtons best game. Was real good on PK and was flying out there imo. Raffl looked pretty good with Vinny at times.

Couts and Read are gonna be beasts. If they get a better winger ( Harts, Simmer,Jake) watch the **** out !!!

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 09:42 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Yea we really got to find a 6th. Gus looks terrible and Mez doesn't even look NHL quality. Sigh

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 09:45 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Yea we really got to find a 6th. Gus looks terrible and Mez doesn't even look NHL quality. Sigh
But but but Gus according to Paddock is an NHL player......

Mesz unfortunately is our new Scott Walker...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 09:56 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
I still think we should give Dane a couple of games in there.

Run with

Timonen-Coburn
Streit-Schenn
Grossmann-Dane

Can't be worse than Mez or Gus, can it?

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 10:04 AM
Codith

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
I still think we should give Dane a couple of games in there.

Run with

Timonen-Coburn
Streit-Schenn
Grossmann-Dane

Can't be worse than Mez or Gus, can it?

Exactly, Id rather run 2 lines with a Offensive/defensive mix, then a 3rd pairing shut down. Trade Mesz, and Let Gus be the 7th. I'm just not sold on Gus, he hasn't impressed me at any point that I have seen him play.

Codith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 10:20 AM
Curufinwe

He was good at the end of last season.

Old
09-25-2013, 10:21 AM
flyershockey

A few thoughts:

1. Laughton is here to stay imo. He looked very good last night, and he has a lot of the same defensive instincts that earned Couturier the fourth line spot as an 18 year old. He definitely got the best out of his lackluster linemates.

2. Emery's lateral movement sucks, and I think that's the one thing holding him back from being the outright number one. Other than that, his positioning, rebound control, and ability to see through screens were all excellent.

3. Mez is either incredibly rusty, or he's no longer capable of playing in this league. His skating never allowed him to get into position to handle the puck well.

4. Gus got better as the game went on, but was still average at best.

5. Raffl looks like an NHL player out there. He's a lot more physical than I imagined he would be. I'm not sure I want him on Vinny's line, but he would pretty good on Couturier's over Talbot.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 10:23 AM
Curufinwe

Talbot-Lauhgton-Rinaldo would be a good 4th line, with Hall and Rosehill filling in as necessary.

Old
09-25-2013, 10:26 AM
flyershockey

Quote:
Talbot-Lauhgton-Rinaldo would be a good 4th line, with Hall and Rosehill filling in as necessary.
Agreed. Hall's only positive impact is his faceoff ability. If he's not taking draws, he should be a 13/14th forward.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote