HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should he stay or should he go? (Meszaros or Grossmann)

Old
09-24-2013, 03:38 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbathero View Post
In case you weren't aware the Flyers D is BELOW NHL average (according to Frank S):

12:32
Comment From -ding
Who plays on the 3rd line LW with Coots-Read? You also mentioned the D was the biggest concern for you, which doesn't make sense b/c now the Flyers have puck moving D men and are a healthy bunch to start the year, no?
12:32
Frank Seravalli: They are definitely improved with Streit, in terms of puck-moving, but still probably below NHL average as a whole.
Meh I understand his and others doubts about our defense. I personally think it's going to surprise a lot of people this year in a good way but it remains to be seen. Bryzgalov and a bad stretch of injuries really made our d core look worse than it really was. Having 2 goalies capable of playing the puck and with Streit to move it out of the zone should really do wonders. Replacing Briere with Lecavalier also helps a little.

King Forsberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 03:46 PM
Hiesenberg

I don't think Frank S could name all of the players on the team.

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 04:13 PM
dilbert719

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
I don't think Frank S could name all of the players on the team.
I have my doubts over whether he could successfully name the team.

dilbert719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 06:15 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Forsberg View Post
Meh I understand his and others doubts about our defense. I personally think it's going to surprise a lot of people this year in a good way but it remains to be seen. Bryzgalov and a bad stretch of injuries really made our d core look worse than it really was. Having 2 goalies capable of playing the puck and with Streit to move it out of the zone should really do wonders. Replacing Briere with Lecavalier also helps a little.
I am going to say MEZ will be one of our better D men this year... I hope I'm right.

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 06:30 PM
04' hockey

Quote:
I am going to say MEZ will be one of our better D men this year... I hope I'm right.
know why?, it's a contract year ..... Mez will have the "heart" to play this year, it's important to HIM

04' hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 06:38 PM
LegionOfDoom91

While Frank may be an idiot, I don't know how people can't agree that the defense is a concern with so many question marks surrounding everyone of them?

If they play to their potential & answer all the question marks I would say they're above average but as of right I would say they're average or slightly below it.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 01:08 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
While Frank may be an idiot, I don't know how people can't agree that the defense is a concern with so many question marks surrounding everyone of them?

If they play to their potential & answer all the question marks I would say they're above average but as of right I would say they're average or slightly below it.
I would have to agree and I know Meltzer said there were still concerns with the D but he also said from a team D standpoint.

As far as Streit..I remain unimpressed so far. He needs to be a game changer back there to warrant that contract. Otherwise, we have a slightly better version of Carle....which has always been my concern. Still time for everything to come into place but I'm not liking the early trends with the preseason...lots of mehs for a team that should be more excited to make amends for last year. Couturier and a few others are the lone standouts. The goalies have been ok...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 08:48 AM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
I would have to agree and I know Meltzer said there were still concerns with the D but he also said from a team D standpoint.

As far as Streit..I remain unimpressed so far. He needs to be a game changer back there to warrant that contract. Otherwise, we have a slightly better version of Carle....which has always been my concern. Still time for everything to come into place but I'm not liking the early trends with the preseason...lots of mehs for a team that should be more excited to make amends for last year. Couturier and a few others are the lone standouts. The goalies have been ok...
You are going to be WILDLY disappointed then. Streit is being overpaid and he's not going to be a game changer at all. He'll be an offensive d-man that is mediocre at best on D.

Old
09-25-2013, 08:54 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Grossmann should stay. He'll always be a beast.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 09:54 AM
Crescent Street
Saturday Nite Hockey

Quote:
If last night's game was any indication of what we're going to get from Mez this year this prediction will fail miserably.

Crescent Street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 09:55 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crescent Street View Post
If last night's game was any indication of what we're going to get from Mez this year this prediction will fail miserably.

indeed.

good thing I don't play the lotto

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 09:56 AM
Codith

Gus and Mesz looked like **** last night, not impressed by either

Codith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 10:39 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
You are going to be WILDLY disappointed then. Streit is being overpaid and he's not going to be a game changer at all. He'll be an offensive d-man that is mediocre at best on D.
No I won't...I never had high expectations for the guy and always said it was just a sideways move on Holmgren's part to fix an obvious hole that was created when he left Carle to hang and be priced high on the open market.

As far as being a game changer..my wish was not in a Paul Coffey way but that he would generate more offense than Carle did and not be a bigger liability than Carle was on D. That remains to be seen. In fact, his offense on the special teams which should be better than that of Carle may be negated by his more boneheaded play and less physicality back on D even if Carle wasn't some stalwart himself...

Old
09-25-2013, 10:40 AM
Hiesenberg

Well I'm going to wait to judge a player till I see the finished product play real games for longer than 1 and a half weeks.

Old
09-25-2013, 10:42 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Well I'm going to wait to judge a player till I see the finished product play real games for longer than 1 and a half weeks.
That is why I said it remains to be seen..so far ...again...color me unimpressed. And again..don't have the high expectations some other's have on here like he was going to be some considerable upgrade to Carle

Old
09-25-2013, 10:45 AM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
You don't have to be down a defenseman to want to upgrade. I'm sure there are a number of teams out there that would like an upgrade to their defense. Just look at a team like the Sabres. They have the cap room and the bottom half of their defense is nothing to write home about. Now, I don't know what they are looking to do, but if they have the space, a team like Buffalo might take a shot for a mid-round pick to have a nice upgrade on the blueline. It gives them a shot to better their defense and see how Mez does. If he plays well and stays healthy, then they can re-sign him and let Tallinder walk if they so choose and maybe Risto or Zad will be up the following year.

It doesn't actually have to be a team that has five defenseman and needs a sixth to make a trade. Teams are always looking to upgrade.
I hope none of these hypothetical teams watched last night's game.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 10:46 AM
Hiesenberg

I don't know if he's an upgrade to Carle, but he'll be an upgrade to a lot of the junk that was thrown out there last year and hopefully an upgrade to the overall transition game.

Wait and see though.

Old
09-25-2013, 10:52 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
I hope none of these hypothetical teams watched last night's game.
Me too. Most teams base their decisions to acquire a player only on their most recent viewing of the player, especially if they have a bad game. Hopefully he has a good game tomorrow and these teams see it, that way the Flyers maybe will get a first rounder or top prospect out of the deal.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 10:56 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post

Yeah individually you can right down the line & everyone of them has a big question mark.

Kimmo: Can he hold up through another 82 game season?

Coburn: Can he bounce back from a terrible season?

Schenn: Can he build off last season & become consistent season to season?

Streit: Can he at least not be too much of a liability in his own zone?

Grossmann: Can he get back to form after the concussion?

Meszaros: Can he be effective after not playing much hockey in the last two years?

Gustafsson: Can he gain some consistency after not having much NHL games under his belt as the others?

Old
09-25-2013, 11:06 AM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Me too. Most teams base their decisions to acquire a player only on their most recent viewing of the player, especially if they have a bad game. Hopefully he has a good game tomorrow and these teams see it, that way the Flyers maybe will get a first rounder or top prospect out of the deal.
Meszaros hasn't had a really good game in a couple of years.

That's why teams aren't interested in trading a draft pick and paying him $5.5m this season to play for them.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 11:44 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Meszaros hasn't had a really good game in a couple of years.

That's why teams aren't interested in trading a draft pick and paying him $5.5m this season to play for them.
That's a good point. All those points he scored were likely by accident and his play is defensive play is clearly overrated based on your remembering of the iso cam you have had set up on him over the past few seasons.

Old
09-25-2013, 11:53 AM
flyershockey

Quote:
That's a good point. All those points he scored were likely by accident and his play is defensive play is clearly overrated based on your remembering of the iso cam you have had set up on him over the past few seasons.
That's a little harsh. Mez hasn't been good the last two seasons, but a lot of that is due to injuries. I'm not sure if anyone can confidently say that he'll get back to playing anywhere close to the way he did from 2009-2011.

flyershockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 12:08 PM
Appleyard

Quote:
I do understand what he is saying tbh, though two years is a very slight exaggeration.

The last time anyone saw the 'real' Mez play was March the 1st 2012, the game where he tore up the Islanders and played v well.

In the fifteen? or so games he has played in the last 19 months... which says a lot in itself, he has not been anywhere close to his old self, and has had some nasty injuries in addition to the original one.

It would be understandable if people around the league would be extremely sceptical as to what kind of player he is now, and if can he get back to how he was.

I hope he can, I like the guy, when healthy he is exciting, a good puck mover and a D man who can contribute offensively at even strength and hit like a truck, though his D is average.

Appleyard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 12:14 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
That's a little harsh. Mez hasn't been good the last two seasons, but a lot of that is due to injuries. I'm not sure if anyone can confidently say that he'll get back to playing anywhere close to the way he did from 2009-2011.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleyard View Post
I do understand what he is saying tbh, though two years is a very slight exaggeration.

The last time anyone saw the 'real' Mez play was March the 1st 2012, the game where he tore up the Islanders and played v well.

In the fifteen? or so games he has played in the last 19 months... which says a lot in itself, he has not been anywhere close to his old self, and has had some nasty injuries in addition to the original one.

It would be understandable if people around the league would be extremely sceptical as to what kind of player he is now, and if can he get back to how he was.

I hope he can, I like the guy, when healthy he is exciting, a good puck mover and a D man who can contribute offensively at even strength and hit like a truck, though his D is average.
Both of these things are true, for sure. I'm in no way saying that Mez is the same guy he was before his injuries two seasons ago. What I am saying is that he is a good player coming off an injury. Outside of the last game, he hasn't looked bad at all. He hasn't been dominant by any means, but he's been good enough to show that he's not finished. I certainly don't think he is going to be as difficult to trade as people are thinking simply because he has been injured.

Old
09-25-2013, 12:18 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Both of these things are true, for sure. I'm in no way saying that Mez is the same guy he was before his injuries two seasons ago. What I am saying is that he is a good player coming off an injury. Outside of the last game, he hasn't looked bad at all. He hasn't been dominant by any means, but he's been good enough to show that he's not finished. I certainly don't think he is going to be as difficult to trade as people are thinking simply because he has been injured.
We must be watching different games because he's been terrible this whole preseason so far not just last night & so has Gustafsson before you bring him into the equation.