HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Today I... (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
09-18-2013, 08:45 PM
thevil
Lets go Aves?

vCash: 500
Well, just got back from my first tryouts ever . It was hard, I was not in nearly as good hockey shape as I thought I was :p But I'll work on it. I was a lot better than I thought I was going to be for my first time. The coach told me my hits were good and my defensive positioning was good and also when to hustle and get to the net for a rebound/cross crease. .

And let me tell you, playing hockey is a million times better than I would ever have thought

Last edited by thevil: 09-19-2013 at 07:20 AM.
Old
09-19-2013, 12:11 AM
gosinger

Saw a new player (who hadn't played half a year) for our team from Canada on the ice yesterday, damn....its just not fair, maybe us Austrians should just stick to skiing

Old
09-19-2013, 12:28 AM
Primrose Everdeen
In Carey We Trust

vCash: 564
Send a message via Skype™ to Primrose Everdeen
Tonight I lined a midget AAA game. First time in the 4-man system.

I'm gonna need some work. Well, that's what the new season is for, right?

09-19-2013, 08:29 AM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

Well I tried out the shorter stick last and so far so good. 2 goals and an assist. It could definitely just be in my head, but I felt like I was able to stickhandle better and get shots off quicker with more accuracy in close. First goal there was a goal mouth scramble and their D man put it right on my stick from in close and I put it up high while the goalie was down. Next goal I used the Dman as a screen and put one off the inside of the post and in. That shot came off like a rocket. Again could be in my head but I'll keep playing with it and see how it goes.

Old
09-19-2013, 09:23 AM
Frankie Spankie

I do believe that the shorter your stick (within reason anyway) the better your stickhandling will be. I could be wrong, but I thought I remembered hearing that on some NHL broadcast.

The way I see it to get the proper length for a stick is to watch how the tape wears on the bottom of the blade. If it wears a lot more at the heel of the blade, shave it down a little bit. Took me a few months but I was slowly chipping away from the top of it until I got it at the proper length.

Old
09-19-2013, 10:32 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

ChiTown, you probably had it to about your nose before? What curve are you using again? Thought you were a P92 guy...

Sounds good though! That's similar to my experience. After a couple games though I needed a bit more length. I play better with a stick too short than too long though. Probably because 99% of my game is stickhandling and shooting (i.e. not skating).

Old
09-19-2013, 12:41 PM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
ChiTown, you probably had it to about your nose before? What curve are you using again? Thought you were a P92 guy...

Sounds good though! That's similar to my experience. After a couple games though I needed a bit more length. I play better with a stick too short than too long though. Probably because 99% of my game is stickhandling and shooting (i.e. not skating).
I want to say that in bare feet it was right under my nose at my mouth. Now it is at the bottom of my chin. I'm typically a P88 guy, but the stick I cut down is actually an older Total One LE with a P106 curve. Not my favorite curve but I'm not having any issues getting used to it again.

I may find I need a little more length at some point and if I cut another stick I'd probably leave it a bit longer than this one, but the idea with this test was to take a lot off to really make sure there was a significant difference. So far so good though.

Old
09-19-2013, 07:28 PM
PK Cronin
HFB Partner

My stick goes right under my bottom lip when I'm standing without shoes, and to the top of my chest when I'm on skates. It's definitely the best height for a forward in my opinion. Every forward I've seen with the stick right around that area has much better control with the puck.

On defense you might want a slightly longer stick, but I personally don't believe in having a stick that goes above your chin while on skates. It makes it more difficult to stick handle when in tight to your body and usually has a slower release on a shot.

Old
09-19-2013, 11:39 PM
Frankie Spankie

Had one of the most exciting games in a while today. We had 9 skaters total, so 2 full lines of forwards, and 1 sub on D so they'd cycle. The other team had everybody, making 13 skaters, so 3 full sets of forward lines, and 2 full sets of D. We went down 2-0 fairly early, like first 5-10 minutes of the game. I changed up and made sure to tell the team to pull it together, forget about how we started, and finish the period strong. I scored the first one with about 5 minutes left to make it 2-1. Final 15 seconds, puck gets cleared into their corner. They stopped skating, I skated hard. I was still beat to the puck by their defender, but with my pressure, he had to wrap it around the boards, to our d-man on the point. He took a shot that I got a tip on. Goalie still saved it but came right out to my winger and he had a wide open net, scored with 2 seconds left in the period to tie it 2-2.

Second period, we were awful. We spent most of the time in our own end and a lot of the time outside of it was chasing them down with the puck. They got another two in that period and we just couldn't get anything going. We were not very confident with our play at all, everything we tried just flat out didn't work. We got a couple chances, and couldn't make anything of it. Again, 10 seconds left, one of our forwards makes a move around their defense at their blue line. Takes a shot, rebound comes out to another forward, we score with 5 seconds left in the period to make it 4-3.

We knew we'd have to dig deep and keep it simple for the third. There was plenty of time and we were just down a goal. With about 5 minutes left, we won a couple puck battles deep in their end. Puck was in the corner and we won it, I was in the opposite corner wide open and the puck came to me. I skated towards the net and passed it to my defenseman breaking in from the point in the slot. He shoots it wide far side. I stay where I am and everyone on the other team forgot about me. One of our wingers on that side got the puck and went behind the net. Two guys on their team followed him behind the net and the rest covered the other guys in the point but I was left all alone far side. He wrapped around the net with the puck, to me wide open, I banged it into the wide open net to tie it 4-4.

Last minute and they were pushing hard. We were gassed and we knew we just had to hold them off until the shootout (no OT, just goes right to SO in regular season) and we chip it out with about 30 seconds left. I was only on the ice for about a minute but was gassed and near the boards anyway. I yell for my sub to jump on for the last 30 seconds thinking something can happen while the puck's going towards their end. I don't know if he made something happen but the puck found its way to our defender who ripped a slap shot in with 20 seconds left to make it 5-4 and we held the score.

Was exciting all the way to the end and even with us doubting ourselves, we didn't give up, and came away with one of my most memorable victories I ever had. It was absolutely insane to score a goal in the final 5 seconds of the first two periods and then the game winner in the final 20 of the third.

Old
09-20-2013, 09:29 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

On defense I still play with a short stick. Because with a longer stick, that screws up my shot and stickhandling. It's all personal preference of course. But my style on D is like a fourth forward.

Old
09-20-2013, 12:00 PM
TheGreatOutlaw

Last night I witnessed for the first time during a beer league in a game on the penalty kill a defense man broke his stick and slid it to the bench and from the far away bench his team mates slid another stick on the ice to him. The ref saw this but didn't call it because we were up 4-0 at the time. I thought it was funny because it clearly broke the rule. We scored anyways like 5 seconds after this happened, but it was just really absurd to have beer league refs that make $25 a game refuses to enforce rules.

Old
09-22-2013, 06:49 AM
Flames Maniac
Was Flamesfanatic12

vCash: 50
I'm almost fully recovered from my fractured foot now. It's been healed for a couple months, butn ot as strong as it needed to be, but after a few games and a lot of skating, it's much better. I've been playing goalie with my friends because they haven't had anyone who wants to do it, even though I had never previously played goalie. But recently, I got to play on the left wing again for a game, because I wanted to get in there with something a little more demanding skating wise.

Managed to pot 2 goals, 2 assists, in my first game on forward in over a year. Was mostly in the right places at the right times. I felt good.

Old
09-22-2013, 07:41 AM
BrummieRed

. . . well, not today exactly, but this week I decided some things.

Having only been skating a year and being an older guy (49) and getting frustrated with myself I decided to chill out and a) not compare myself to others b) set a target of three years plugging away at getting better and better at skating c) get back to the fundamentals; good knee bend, improving balance and leg strength, getting to know my edges.

This means that during public skates I'm gonna focus more on these things and less at tearing around at high speed. Speed will come but form will not unless I practice it.

I'm also gonna suggest a stick n puck session to the rink (rare or non-existant in the UK)

Old
09-23-2013, 08:37 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Weird day yesterday.

Had practice, first time on ice in probably six weeks. Pretty rusty and out of shape.

One of our guys who's been on the team for six years quit after someone made a smart ass remark in the locker room. Pretty ridiculous I think. But the guy never backchecks, never shows up for practices, and never listens to any coaching or advice. We have good players on a waiting list for the team.

Old
09-23-2013, 08:50 AM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Weird day yesterday.

Had practice, first time on ice in probably six weeks. Pretty rusty and out of shape.

One of our guys who's been on the team for six years quit after someone made a smart ass remark in the locker room. Pretty ridiculous I think. But the guy never backchecks, never shows up for practices, and never listens to any coaching or advice. We have good players on a waiting list for the team.
Sounds like a quick, easy way to get rid of guy who isn't a team player. If you can't take ribbing from your own team you have no business in that locker room.

Old
09-23-2013, 08:59 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

That's the thing, all of our best players and best personalities have had problems with the guy. He's past retirement age and stuck in his ways. Doesn't want to buy into the team system. Nice enough guy off the ice, but things don't go his way, he'll start calling everyone out. We've had to arrange lines around him because he won't come back on defense or play his position, flies the zone early, tries to cherry pick, and then has personal conflicts with several guys.

So honestly, when he left, everyone just shrugged and we moved on. He's got a knack for scoring some clutch goals, but we have a lot better players who are dying for a shot.

It will be interesting to see how it shakes out. We've now replaced 2-3 players who were below the talent level of our division with guys who should be quality players. Our team has gotten bigger, stronger, and more skilled. Hopefully we can be competitive again rather than trying to stay out of last place.

Oh yeah, of course the second most of us walk in the room, we just start ragging on each other. Part of being a team, right?

Old
09-23-2013, 01:48 PM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Oh yeah, of course the second most of us walk in the room, we just start ragging on each other. Part of being a team, right?
Yes, exactly. If someone is bothered by it there are probably other, bigger personality conflicts going on.

Old
09-25-2013, 09:21 AM
Ference the Finger
Ference is my binky

Not today, but last night, I played goalie for our regular pickup game. Second time ever playing in net. I used my son's equipment, which actually fit me OK, except for his pants. I'm not at all very good, but it was a lot of fun. Took me almost half to game to get used to the different skating and movement techniques using the goalie skates. I'm getting the feeling that when/if he outgrows these pads, they may be just moving across the aisle of the basement over to my side...

Old
09-27-2013, 02:41 PM
BrummieRed

. . . had a great time at my 'learn to play' session just now. In the scrimmages I decided I'd play something like stay-at-home D, but take my chances at attacking play when I saw the opportunity. I'm just about the least good skater of the group I play with, but my strategy worked well. Thinking about what I did evened me out with the better skaters who just tore around without thinking. Did some good solid D-ing with also a close chance on goal and a full-length on-the-ice block shot saved at our end

Old
09-27-2013, 04:29 PM
scryan

Quote:
Weird day yesterday.

Probably was borderline there anyways... especially if you say he rarely showed up and didn't really get along. I am sure he was pretty close to quitting, and just needed one last thing to point at as a reason. I know I've been pretty close to making the decision to end my relationship with (non hockey) teams and left "over something small" because I was basically done anyways... Sometimes it just takes a little push to finally make that decision. Will likely work out best for all of you from what it sounds.

Old
09-27-2013, 04:35 PM
SCBruCrew4

In about 3.5hrs I'll be on the ice again for the first time this season...I'm itching to get out there and make a fool out of myself again!

Old
09-28-2013, 09:28 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Went to practice. The coach stopped the drill because people were doing weak passes. Sent a pass to a teammate who is a new player and not steady on his feet yet. He skated into it, the puck hit his skate and BAM! He falls down as if he'd been shot. The timing was just perfect.

Coach turned to me and said "now that's a nice hard pass!"

Old
09-28-2013, 10:03 PM
TCRF
RICK. GNASH

vCash: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ference the Finger View Post
Not today, but last night, I played goalie for our regular pickup game. Second time ever playing in net. I used my son's equipment, which actually fit me OK, except for his pants. I'm not at all very good, but it was a lot of fun. Took me almost half to game to get used to the different skating and movement techniques using the goalie skates. I'm getting the feeling that when/if he outgrows these pads, they may be just moving across the aisle of the basement over to my side...
Goalie is an interesting creature to tame...but rewarding once controlled

Old
09-30-2013, 02:57 AM
Sureshotte
Thumbs up, soldier!

Had another great session at Hockey One today. I'm really happy with how my shot is improving these days; it was a bit touch-and-go when I was still figuring out if I should shoot left or right. Thankfully, it turns out sticking with left is paying off greatly.

Old
10-01-2013, 08:59 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Practice last night was pretty good. Worked on neutral zone regroups, odd man scoring situations, etc. Was able to put a lot of pucks past some really good goalies. Team should be improved this year, cut some dead weight and added some good players. We have a very good full time goalie who is much more focused and dedicated than our previous one as well as an excellent sub goalie on call.

Got a pre-season tourney this weekend, should be fun.

Now I just need to get myself back into game shape.

Closed Thread