HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread IV: Top-6 Center Stop Gaps? Super Heavyweights?

Closed Thread

Old
09-24-2013, 11:39 PM
nullmeatbag

vCash: 500
Not sure what the word on Prospal is, but he'd be a good #2 for a bit.

Old
09-25-2013, 12:15 AM
Paralyzer008

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullmeatbag View Post
Not sure what the word on Prospal is, but he'd be a good #2 for a bit.
Word is he is skating in the Czech Republic, maybe he wants to stay home?

EDIT: seems like he wants a shot

http://isport.blesk.cz/clanek/hokej-...rvni-ligu.html

Last edited by Paralyzer008: 09-25-2013 at 12:20 AM.
Old
09-25-2013, 12:18 AM
skorf

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Th Oilers were going into the season with:

1Gagner
2Gordon
3/4(Lander/Arcobello/Acton)

The bottom 2 centres were guaranteed to have less than 70 games of NHL experience between them. Essentially those 3 players for the bottom 2 spots could be at best called NHL/AHL tweeners and realistically you would really want only 1 of them called up due to injuries during the season.

To go into the season with that type of centre depth wasn't really logical or prudent as you had to know (or should have known) that one more injury at the centre position basically gutters the start of the season.... which has now happened.

Last season they had essentially the exact same situation happen when they lost several key centres at once so it's not as if it wasn't burnt into their memories from just a few months ago.

That's why so many fans are saying MacT didn't take the lack of centre depth in the org seriously.

They dumped Horcoff, Smithson and Belanger and picked up Gordon.

Arguably Horcoff for Gordon was a wash... most would say Gordon is better... a few might even give an edge to Horc... but whatever... it was a centre in and a centre out so a reasonable move by MacT.

Smithson and Belanger (and VandeVelde if you want to stretch the case) were replaced by? No one really... not with any real NHL experience anyway.

Acton, Arcobello and Lander are basically it at C unless you really want to dredge deep and start talking about guys like Martindale (AHLer at best) or putting Smyth at centre yet again (couldn't imagine that would get a better result this year than last).

So basically they planned on 2 centres with little to no NHL experience and had NO plan for injuries that could occur.

Hence the Hall to centre plan... now I guess it's the Eberle to C plan as well... maybe it will be Belov to C plan next.

I don't think it's lemming-like to see that the Oilers had awful depth at C BEFORE this injury to Gagner... now it's abysmal.

Let's hope there is a decent C on waivers that MacT can snag to help salvage the situation. Just our luck there will be another dman or winger that catches his eye instead.
Well Gordon > Horcoff first off

Acton > Belanger (sure Acton doesn't have any NHL experience, but he can't be worse than Belanger)

No one < Smithson... but if you're all upset about that, we could always go resign Smithson

Sure we'd all have loved to grab another C in free agency... but who was out there? Grabovski? Well he wanted to be a top 6 forward so he wouldn't have came here, and where'd the cap space come from to sign him? There really weren't many other options out there, so can't get too upset with MacT.

Old
09-25-2013, 12:47 AM
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by skorf View Post
Well Gordon > Horcoff first off

Acton > Belanger (sure Acton doesn't have any NHL experience, but he can't be worse than Belanger)

No one < Smithson... but if you're all upset about that, we could always go resign Smithson

Sure we'd all have loved to grab another C in free agency... but who was out there? Grabovski? Well he wanted to be a top 6 forward so he wouldn't have came here, and where'd the cap space come from to sign him? There really weren't many other options out there, so can't get too upset with MacT.
Pack your bags and take your perfectly sound logic with you!

HFBoards doesn't take kindly to your type 'round here.

Seriously, I agree with everything you've said, but there is no way the mass here will agree with us. Lets form a club.

Old
09-25-2013, 12:55 AM
PETRYDISH

vCash: 50
Shoulda traded for Crosby, we need a gm with balls.

Old
09-25-2013, 01:00 AM
Eskimo44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distinct View Post
Not sure why MacT stated on tsn that he's just going to patch this center issue up internally. There are plenty of options that could fill in for the top 6 during injuries. Then when we get healthy they push players like Acton down the depth chart.

Possible options;

Wellwood
Colborne
Mitchell
Connolly
He also said yesterday that he's always watching the waiver wire and may consider a small trade if something becomes avaliable. Go to the Oilers website and check out his presser, he made it seem very apparent that he's willing to get somebody if it makes sense. But like he said there's only so many contract spots and when the guys come back you don't want to be stuck with a guy you don't want. In saying that i'd sign Prospal or probably pick a checker on waivers/through trade, Acton just doesn't do it for me. I do agree with MacT though the upgrade needs to be significant so guys like Connolly (he sucked in the AHL last year ffs), Wellwood, and maybe even Mitchell don't really do it for me. Colborne's age/potential is intriguing enough for me not to immediately write off but the other guys ain't that special either. Arcobello has been good enough that they shouldn't be picking up waiver wire/UFA offensive centers. Lets not forget neither Nuge or Gagner should be out too long and it's a long season. So yeah a Zack Smith for the 4th line would be great but a Tim Connolly not so much.

Old
09-25-2013, 01:22 AM
Paralyzer008

I really hope Abdelkader would be expendable in Detroit, considering all of their forwards

Old
09-25-2013, 01:24 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
I really hope Abdelkader would be expendable in Detroit, considering all of their forwards
We just don't need more wingers. If he was a center, he'd be the perfect target for the 4th line C spot

Old
09-25-2013, 02:05 AM
Eskimo44

Quote:
Hate that *****... Needless to say he'd be a great addition. It shames me to say it but i would have signed a ******* like Laperrie for the 4th line, the Oilers could use ruthlessness in their game (as opposed to after the whistles). Get a guy like Abdelkader to start running guys in response and i bet the cheapshots slow down.

Old
09-25-2013, 02:05 AM
Eskimo44

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
We just don't need more wingers. If he was a center, he'd be the perfect target for the 4th line C spot
Abdelkader has played center iirc.

Old
09-25-2013, 02:13 AM
Soundwave

Wellwood is a pretty fair match for Gagner at least for a little while and probably better in the face off dot.

Prospal can still play.

Old
09-25-2013, 02:18 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo44 View Post
Abdelkader has played center iirc.
Even if he has, he's listed as a winger on NHL.com, the red wings site, hockeydb, and eliteprospects, so I'm not sure we should be confident on his abilities as a center

Old
09-25-2013, 02:19 AM
Eskimo44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Wellwood is a pretty fair match for Gagner at least for a little while and probably better in the face off dot.

Prospal can still play.
Is he that much better than Arcobello that we should take on the extra contract. Wellwood has his moments but i don't see the upside or how he's a better fit for the roster than Arcobello.

Old
09-25-2013, 02:21 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo44 View Post
Is he that much better than Arcobello that we should take on the extra contract. Wellwood has his moments but i don't see the upside or how he's a better fit for the roster than Arcobello.
One has proven he can play at the NHL level, as in real NHL regular season games ... the other ... not so much.

I dunno. I tend to think when the actual games start that Arcobello is going to get manhandled. I hope not, but this isn't a league full of nice guys.

Old
09-25-2013, 07:54 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 0
Main board suggest John Mitchell wants out of Colorado. We need to make a call.

Old
09-25-2013, 07:59 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distinct View Post
Not sure why MacT stated on tsn that he's just going to patch this center issue up internally. There are plenty of options that could fill in for the top 6 during injuries. Then when we get healthy they push players like Acton down the depth chart.

Possible options;

Wellwood
Colborne
Mitchell
Connolly
You're not sure why he said that? Think about it. Last time he said he was going to do something he got roasted because he wasn't able to make a bold move, which to this day no one knows what the hell he meant.

MacT did state to Gregor or maybe all the local media that if there are guys out there he'll look, but he isn't adding a guy that is just slightly better than Will Acton or Anton Lander.

Old
09-25-2013, 10:29 AM
ManByng
Moroz fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Human View Post
Perron's play is making me realize how worthless our 2nd round picks are in terms of what they're bringing us.

I mean other than Petry (anomaly for this franchise) - we haven't really done much with 2nd round picks in the past 10 years.

McDonald, JFJ, Paukovich, Tesliuk, Chorney, Lander, Pitlick, Marincin, Musil, Moroz, Roy.

These guys have all done nothing.

Other teams do a great job of making finds in the 2nd round. We don't. Management has to have realized this. There are 2 solutions to this:

1) Major shake-up with the scouts
2) Start dealing the picks to teams that value them.

If you could swing an MPS-for-Perron type deal every year using 2nd round picks - this team would be a factory for success.
^i hear yuh about our 2nd round picks....very disappointed that Lander has a golden opportunity to play center with us missing 2 of them and he STILL can't make the team! but don't give up too quickly on Marincin though. he looked great during the pre season and for sure has a future here, hopefully as a productive d-man. i wish the Oilers would be more carefull with their 2nd round picks and stop taking slew foots like Lander and Musil, both of who are question marks to ever play here because of lack of foot speed.

Old
09-25-2013, 10:36 AM
oilers89

Quote:
Not gunna happen. Ken holland was on hockey central yesterday and he said abdelkader is starting on first line wing.

Old
09-25-2013, 10:37 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Prospal is a no-brainer if he's willing to join the team.

And if you've looked at our bottom 8 forwards...we need wingers too.

Old
09-25-2013, 10:51 AM
misfit

vCash: 50
I don't remember the last time Prospal has spent any meaningful time at center. Columbus has been weak down the middle since their inception, and he played left wing during his time there. I know he also was Lecavalier's winger for most of his time in Tampa. Unless he was a center in New York, you'll have to go back a long time before you find evidence of him playing the position.

09-25-2013, 11:02 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
I don't remember the last time Prospal has spent any meaningful time at center. Columbus has been weak down the middle since their inception, and he played left wing during his time there. I know he also was Lecavalier's winger for most of his time in Tampa. Unless he was a center in New York, you'll have to go back a long time before you find evidence of him playing the position.
Even if Prospal could only fill in at C in a pinch he'd still be a no brainer. If we can find the cap space to sign him, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Old
09-25-2013, 11:05 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Even if Prospal could only fill in at C in a pinch he'd still be a no brainer. If we can find the cap space to sign him, I'd do it in a heartbeat.
But can he? At this point nothing really suggests he'd be any better than Hemsky at center.

Old
09-25-2013, 11:54 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
But can he? At this point nothing really suggests he'd be any better than Hemsky at center.
Even if he can't, he'd be a definite upgrade on a guy like Hamilton Brown or Eager in a bottom 6 winger role. With no great C options out there, maybe the best plan would be to bolster the wings? Just spitballing here.

Fully healed.

Hall - RNH - Yakupov
Perron - Gagner - Eberle
Prospal - Gordon - Hemsky
Smyth - Acton - Eager
Brown/Smac

That seems like a pretty decent forward group.

Old
09-25-2013, 12:04 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Even if he can't, he'd be a definite upgrade on a guy like Hamilton Brown or Eager in a bottom 6 winger role. With no great C options out there, maybe the best plan would be to bolster the wings? Just spitballing here.

Fully healed.

Hall - RNH - Yakupov
Perron - Gagner - Eberle
Prospal - Gordon - Hemsky
Smyth - Acton - Eager
Brown/Smac

That seems like a pretty decent forward group.
True, but he wouldn't be my first option, I don't have another option mind ya. I just don't like Prospal and Hemsky both on a 3rd line. Really weakens Gordon's skillset. Personally I wanted us to be in on a Peverley or Kelly, but I doubt Kelly is an option now.

I really like to find a winger/center. I'd look for one via trade at this point.

Old
09-25-2013, 12:07 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
True, but he wouldn't be my first option, I don't have another option mind ya. I just don't like Prospal and Hemsky both on a 3rd line. Really weakens Gordon's skillset. Personally I wanted us to be in on a Peverley or Kelly, but I doubt Kelly is an option now.

I really like to find a winger/center. I'd look for one via trade at this point.
Maybe Mitchell is the right guy then? The Boston guys would be a dream, but I think they probably stay there at this point.

I accept I am a bigger Prospal fan than many. I have been beating that drum for a while.

Closed Thread