HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Final 23

Old
09-19-2013, 12:14 PM
Jame
Dream '16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
I disagree with Sulzer. In his limited playing time he has done well offensively. In Buffalo because he has a fellow german in ehrhoff he is alot more comfortable with the team than with his previous teams.
yes, Ehrhoff is capable of carrying Sulzer around the ice. But... there is no reason anyone should want to see that.

Ehrhoff Myers is the top pair.... if something happens (it fails, or injury), does anyone see any point of running Sulzer out there with Ehrhoff???? Of course, not.... we'd stick Pysyk or Risto there.

The only reason to carry Sulzer is if you are a team focused on playoffs and prefer crappy experience over mistake prone youth.

Sulzer serves no purpose given the state of the franchise and depth of the blueline...

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 12:19 PM
WhoIsJimBob
I Believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
The only reason to carry Sulzer is if you are a team focused on playoffs and prefer crappy experience over mistake prone youth.

Sulzer serves no purpose given the state of the franchise and depth of the blueline...
Sulzer fills a roster spot if the Sabres want to slide Risto's deal ala ZG last year.

I wonder if the Sabres will err on the side of slow cooking Risto given how MG & ZG played out last season with their differing experiences.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 12:36 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsJimBob View Post
Sulzer fills a roster spot if the Sabres want to slide Risto's deal ala ZG last year.

I wonder if the Sabres will err on the side of slow cooking Risto given how MG & ZG played out last season with their differing experiences.
true.... (Sulzer has a purpose...sort of... if Risto doesn't make the team)

I think Risto is making the team. I think he's in the starting line up opening night. I've thought he was that good from day 1. He's the one player in the pipe that should immediately begin developing at this level.

I think Buffalo wants him here, and on NA ice... and they won't risk him going back to Finland and playing on all the different/whacky SM Liiga rinks

Old
09-19-2013, 12:39 PM
Old Navy Goat

Quote:

But Risto also played the last 2 seasons in a professional league against men while Grigs and Girgs came out of juniors.

Old Navy Goat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 01:12 PM
WhoIsJimBob
I Believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Navy Goat View Post
But Risto also played the last 2 seasons in a professional league against men while Grigs and Girgs came out of juniors.
True, I just wonder if they are going to go back to erring on the side of slow cooking after they admittedly rushed Grigorenko last year and burned a year of his ELC.

We should know pretty soon...

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 01:26 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
True, I just wonder if they are going to go back to erring on the side of slow cooking after they admittedly rushed Grigorenko last year and burned a year of his ELC.

I wouldn't really call what they did with Girgensons "slow cooking." The jump from the USHL to the AHL is arguably as big as the jump from the QMJHL to the NHL.

I think what they've shown in how they've handled those 2 guys is: 1) They want their prospects working with their coaches if at all possible; 2) they want their prospects playing against the highest level of competition they can handle.

tsujimoto74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 01:30 PM
Old Navy Goat

Quote:

I think last year was an aberration due to the lockout. He would have had the 9 day trial and then been back in Quebec as he obviously wasn't ready

Old Navy Goat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 01:31 PM
Sabresfansince1980

I would be pumped if Ristolainen was truly good enough to start with Buffalo and be a regular starter (assume 3rd pair). But I tend to think he'll need some adjustment time in Rochester. I'd like to see him get top minutes there, and sprinkle in up to nine starts in Buffalo for injury. If he can prove himself enough then McBain can be traded to open up a spot later in the season. I see Sulzer as emergency insurance only, and will probably be kept for that reason. He'll be traded for a playoff team's depth at the TDL, or let go next summer (with Tallinder probably) to open up a spot for McNabb or Zadorov.

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 02:34 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Navy Goat View Post
I think last year was an aberration due to the lockout. He would have had the 9 day trial and then been back in Quebec as he obviously wasn't ready
Hard to say....given a full preseaon, traverse city, plus strength and conditioning work.

As a do over again--sure send him back for a yr.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 08:21 PM
Push Dr Tracksuit
Gerstmann 3:16

If Grigs had played last preseason like he's played this preseason he would have been shipped back to the Q and we would still be excited about him. I think this is Grigorenko, he was boom or bust player when drafted and the Sabres are going to be forced to pry the talent out of him. Spending last season, or this season, or next season in the Q was never and will never change that. He's a dump him in the deep end and stay on his back kind of prospect. His hockey knowledge and talent is on par or better than most of our roster but he doesn't have the on ice drive that allows players to reach their potential. He's either gonna be a better Joe Thorton or a more disappointing Brad Boyes. The only way him being on the Sabres roster damages him is if he's so unengaged that they stop givin him ice time.

Last edited by Push Dr Tracksuit: 09-19-2013 at 08:27 PM.
Push Dr Tracksuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 08:29 PM
Push Dr Tracksuit
Gerstmann 3:16

So if McNabb has another couple games like Car. Which D man gets the boot to make room?

Push Dr Tracksuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 08:37 PM
BloFan4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imlach a cup View Post
So if McNabb has another couple games like Car. Which D man gets the boot to make room?
Ehrhoff
Myers
Tallinder
Pysyk
Weber

are locks

I think McNabb gets the last spot. McBain becomes the 7th d man. Sulzer and Ruhwedel gets waived to rochester. Risto back to finland. Zaborov back to CHL

BloFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 08:38 PM
Zip15

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imlach a cup View Post
He's in a tough spot as a lefty. Ehrhoff is a lock. Weber is assured of a spot to start the season based on his performance last year. I very much doubt they'd sit Tallinder, as they want him to be a steadying presence.

I think the plan all along has been to keep Sulzer around for short-term fill-ins, while McNabb gets the call for longer-term injuries.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 08:41 PM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloFan4Life View Post
Ehrhoff
Myers
Tallinder
Pysyk
Weber

are locks

I think McNabb gets the last spot. McBain becomes the 7th d man. Sulzer and Ruhwedel gets waived to rochester. Risto back to finland. Zaborov back to CHL
It really depends on how married Rolston is to the concept of a lefty and righty on every pairing. If he wants lefty-righty on every pairing, McNabb probably loses the numbers game and heads to Rochester (see above post). If he isn't married to lefty-righty, he could use Hoff on the right (his preferred side). Under that scenario, however, you can't go Ehrhoff-Myers, and it sounds like Rolston wants them as his top pairing.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 08:45 PM
BloFan4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
It really depends on how married Rolston is to the concept of a lefty and righty on every pairing. If he wants lefty-righty on every pairing, McNabb probably loses the numbers game and heads to Rochester (see above post). If he isn't married to lefty-righty, he could use Hoff on the right (his preferred side). Under that scenario, however, you can't go Ehrhoff-Myers, and it sounds like Rolston wants them as his top pairing.
I think he wants it, but it won't be a factor in having less raw talent on the team. The concept sounds great, but injuries and struggles, it just isn't plausible. You play the best 6 d man, end of story. The rest will work itself out. Also, like you said, Rolston is already going against that formula with Myers-Ehrhoff.

Old
09-19-2013, 08:47 PM
Moskau

The talk died down because of the late flurry of goals but I thought Grigorenko was terrible. He said in an interview last year that his main focus as a rookie was to keep his head up and not get hit. That's a great attribute to have but it's his main focus and he's killing an offensive confidence he may have. If you can't bother to show up and skate with the puck through the neutral zone in a PRE SEASON game against the CAROLINA HURRICANES because you are afraid of getting hit then you are going to struggle in this league. I thought behind the net and a long the half-boards he was fine but he's a scared fragile player anywhere else with the puck.

It really sucks that there is nothing else we can do with him other than gift him a line-up spot. The other option is to have Quebec suspend him so that he can play elsewhere but you risk forming a rift by doing that. I'm not sure how much he can learn in the NHL when he's too scared of getting hit to do anything.

Moskau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 08:53 PM
BloFan4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
The talk died down because of the late flurry of goals but I thought Grigorenko was terrible. He said in an interview last year that his main focus as a rookie was to keep his head up and not get hit. That's a great attribute to have but it's his main focus and he's killing an offensive confidence he may have. If you can't bother to show up and skate with the puck through the neutral zone in a PRE SEASON game against the CAROLINA HURRICANES because you are afraid of getting hit then you are going to struggle in this league. I thought behind the net and a long the half-boards he was fine but he's a scared fragile player anywhere else with the puck.

It really sucks that there is nothing else we can do with him other than gift him a line-up spot. The other option is to have Quebec suspend him so that he can play elsewhere but you risk forming a rift by doing that. I'm not sure how much he can learn in the NHL when he's too scared of getting hit to do anything.
Ya, he just floats way to much. I would almost look into the trade market. I just don't have much hope for him. I think he is too timid and fragile to succeed in the NHL. It may sound crazy, but I'm sure his value is still pretty high. I just think he is a huge liability out there. His line continues to do nothing out there. Same thing happened that year. We didn't have a 3rd line when he played. As soon as we drop up a capable 3rd line center like Porter, we played a heck of a lot better as a team.

Old
09-19-2013, 08:58 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
I think he wants it, but it won't be a factor in having less raw talent on the team. The concept sounds great, but injuries and struggles, it just isn't plausible. You play the best 6 d man, end of story. The rest will work itself out. Also, like you said, Rolston is already going against that formula with Myers-Ehrhoff.
not necessarily. I'll take the extra milliseconds gained in puck distribution from an evenly equipped pairing, over marginal difference in talent leading to odd pairings

Old
09-19-2013, 09:07 PM
joshjull

Quote:
What?

Ehrhoff is a lefty and Myers is a righty. That is the formula

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 09:33 PM
brian_griffin
"Elite Poster" ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
not necessarily. I'll take the extra milliseconds gained in puck distribution from an evenly equipped pairing, over marginal difference in talent leading to odd pairings
More importantly, to me at least, is to allow opposite-handed pairings to develop together in Rochester. Tallinder and Sulzer are bridges this year. Bring McNabb and Risto up together next year, or McNabb and Ruhwedel (if Risto makes it this year).

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 06:48 AM
joshjull

To the debate on whether adjusting to NHL rinks is something Armia has to deal with. Here are his thoughts on the matter.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sa...canes-20130919

Quote:
“I hope I’m in the NHL this season,” Armia said. “I try to give everything I’ve got in the practice, and I hope that’s enough.

"The biggest difference here is the smaller rink. When you get the puck you don’t have too much time, so I just have to learn how to react faster and get used to this."

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 11:06 AM
Jacob582

Buffalo Sabres ‏@BuffaloSabres 25m
Rolston said today's lineup "fairly close" to what it might look like opening day. "We still have a lot of our young guys in there."

I think tonight will give us an indication of what opening night will be, other than trying to figure out where McCormick and Foligno fit back in.

Jacob582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 11:12 AM
AmerksPuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob582 View Post
Buffalo Sabres ‏@BuffaloSabres 25m
Rolston said today's lineup "fairly close" to what it might look like opening day. "We still have a lot of our young guys in there."

I think tonight will give us an indication of what opening night will be, other than trying to figure out where McCormick and Foligno fit back in.
no chance Armia stays unless he absolutely goes off tonight. He has been less than impressive to me, needs AHL time for sure.

AmerksPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 11:15 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmerksPuck View Post
no chance Armia stays unless he absolutely goes off tonight. He has been less than impressive to me, needs AHL time for sure.
Even if Armia gets a hattrick, 2 assists, and wins a fight. There's no way he stays with the Sabres IMO. He has too much to work on.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 11:19 AM
Jacob582

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmerksPuck View Post
I agree.

Not even sure if Armia is in tonight's lineup. Three forwards have to sit tonight. Plus 2more will have to come out of the lineup when McCormick and Foligno come back. That is opening lineup.

Jacob582 is offline   Reply With Quote