HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pre #5|Tuesday, Sep. 24, 2013|Devils at Flyers | 7:00 p.m. ET ‎

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-25-2013, 10:30 AM
  #326
kudymen
4, 15, 38 and 63
 
kudymen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Atlanta (Decatur)
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 3,169
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishstick View Post
@Kudymen: in Europe GameCenter is cheaper and at least in my country you rarely have blackouts because the games are not shown on tv anyway. Plus, it's official so can't be closed because of legal issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
Good timing, I live in Europe and have gcl and hockey streams for the preseason. Hockey streams on demand isn't great compared to gcl, it buffers for a second or two and for last nights game froze in mid second period multiple times even after rebooting. I would not recommend it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crescent Street View Post
Did you select a European server to connect to from the server selection on the feed? Zero buffering or skipping last night here.

I will say it again, if you enjoy 30 frames per second and blurred feeds during quick camera movements (happens a lot in hockey), then go with GCL. If you like 60 frames per second with zero blur, go with Hockeystreams.
Thanks for the reponses guys, at least I have something to think about for the next couple of days.

kudymen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 10:34 AM
  #327
bennysflyers16
Registered User
 
bennysflyers16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 16,653
vCash: 50
As poor as Gus has been, we need to give him a chance, he is still young. I am fine with a 3rd pairing of Guss-Gross.

bennysflyers16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 11:02 AM
  #328
Flyerfan4life
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Richmond BC, Canada
Country: England
Posts: 12,052
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crescent Street View Post
Did you select a European server to connect to from the server selection on the feed? Zero buffering or skipping last night here.

I will say it again, if you enjoy 30 frames per second and blurred feeds during quick camera movements (happens a lot in hockey), then go with GCL. If you like 60 frames per second with zero blur, go with Hockeystreams.
yea, maybe the service in Europe is worse, but here in NA. the service is amazing.

so good im kicking myself for not trying it last year. when i already knew how bad GCL could be at time.

so far hockeystreams has been exactly as advertised. i simply couldnt be happier with the service unless it allowed me to be at the rink live, hahaha

Flyerfan4life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 11:06 AM
  #329
BillDineen
Registered User
 
BillDineen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,677
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crescent Street View Post
Did you select a European server to connect to from the server selection on the feed? Zero buffering or skipping last night here.

I will say it again, if you enjoy 30 frames per second and blurred feeds during quick camera movements (happens a lot in hockey), then go with GCL. If you like 60 frames per second with zero blur, go with Hockeystreams.
Euro server is the default. With their on demand product, I have been able to watch 1.5 of 3 preseason games after the fact. I stayed up and watched the first one live (Hockeystreams was fine live). 1.5/3 only because of I couldn't stand the buffering and finally the freezing, gave up and just went to the flyers site of highlights. I never have had that issue with gcl. My internet download speed is 29.51mbps (just tested). I really don't like Hockeystreams personally.

BillDineen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 12:06 PM
  #330
FlyersFan61290
Registered User
 
FlyersFan61290's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 8,495
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
As poor as Gus has been, we need to give him a chance, he is still young. I am fine with a 3rd pairing of Guss-Gross.
I feel the same way. He's still relatively young and inexperienced. Let him build off his 3rd period, I mean it's only been 3 preseason games, two were back to back and the 3rd was a week later. Time and reps will tell a better story IMO.

And if somehow Lauridsen becomes the better option (highly doubt it but some people seem to think so) he's waiver exempt so you call him when you need him.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 12:15 PM
  #331
Jtown
Registered User
 
Jtown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fairfax, Virginia
Posts: 10,404
vCash: 539
The amount of panic and off the cuff conclusions that have been made about the flyers after this one preseason game is senseless.

Jtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 12:25 PM
  #332
OgbertTheNerd
what
 
OgbertTheNerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 1,046
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
The amount of panic and off the cuff conclusions that have been made about the flyers after this one preseason game is senseless.
Especially after they hadn't played a game in a week.

OgbertTheNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 12:28 PM
  #333
Crescent Street
Saturday Nite Hockey
 
Crescent Street's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Long Island
Posts: 2,495
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
The amount of panic and off the cuff conclusions that have been made about the flyers after this one preseason game is senseless.
I don't think so. Preseason is there for youth to prove themselves and for the vets to get in game shape and get prepared for the regular season. So you're saying because this is preseason, we shouldn't worry about them making these same stupid mistakes 7 days from now?

What we saw the past few games is the exact same team making the exact same mistakes. With little to no difference on the back end with our D getting into trouble getting out of the zone. Meszaros alone is going to cost us a few games. He is beyond rusty.

October is going to be a very ugly month as this team has to go through the gel process yet again.

Crescent Street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 12:31 PM
  #334
Crescent Street
Saturday Nite Hockey
 
Crescent Street's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Long Island
Posts: 2,495
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
Euro server is the default. With their on demand product, I have been able to watch 1.5 of 3 preseason games after the fact. I stayed up and watched the first one live (Hockeystreams was fine live). 1.5/3 only because of I couldn't stand the buffering and finally the freezing, gave up and just went to the flyers site of highlights. I never have had that issue with gcl. My internet download speed is 29.51mbps (just tested). I really don't like Hockeystreams personally.
Sounds like you may have some routing issues to and from your location to Hockeystreams. I speak to other euros in Sweden who do not have this issue at all. This is a localized issue and shouldn't be used to bastardize what is otherwise an excellent product.

The guys who run the show literally sit in the game chat channel and field performance issues ALL NIGHT for their customers. Try getting that kind of help/support from GCL. They'll just give you the "it's your internet" run around till you just give up.

Crescent Street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 12:40 PM
  #335
FlyersFan61290
Registered User
 
FlyersFan61290's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 8,495
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crescent Street View Post
Sounds like you may have some routing issues to and from your location to Hockeystreams. I speak to other euros in Sweden who do not have this issue at all. This is a localized issue and shouldn't be used to bastardize what is otherwise an excellent product.

The guys who run the show literally sit in the game chat channel and field performance issues ALL NIGHT for their customers. Try getting that kind of help/support from GCL. They'll just give you the "it's your internet" run around till you just give up.
I take it you a founding member of hockeystreams?

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 12:42 PM
  #336
Jtown
Registered User
 
Jtown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fairfax, Virginia
Posts: 10,404
vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crescent Street View Post
I don't think so. Preseason is there for youth to prove themselves and for the vets to get in game shape and get prepared for the regular season. So you're saying because this is preseason, we shouldn't worry about them making these same stupid mistakes 7 days from now?

What we saw the past few games is the exact same team making the exact same mistakes. With little to no difference on the back end with our D getting into trouble getting out of the zone. Meszaros alone is going to cost us a few games. He is beyond rusty.

October is going to be a very ugly month as this team has to go through the gel process yet again.


I really doubt mez is among the final 6 dmen on the team. I think this team is going to be much improved. So far Lecavlier has been exactly what we needed , and that was an upgrade at the 2c position. He is capable of being a puck handler in all 3 zones and is a world class passer.

While i doubt streit has improved our mobility on d, we do now possess another pp qb and a deadly shot from the point. With the group of dmen we have i feel we can shelter him from the tough minutes.

Lavy has played wide open the past two years, and has really left our d and goalie exposed. i think having vinny really presents lavy with some options in the pace and style we play.

Jtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 12:43 PM
  #337
CavemanLawyer
Registered User
 
CavemanLawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Ocean City, MD
Posts: 1,111
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
As poor as Gus has been, we need to give him a chance, he is still young. I am fine with a 3rd pairing of Guss-Gross.
Devil's advocate here (not because I'm that high or anything on either of players I'm about to mention, but... just because it needs to be said) -

Lauridsen , a younger player who was called up and filled in a hole quite well last year, had a iFenwick/60 higher than Gus and iCorsi/60 the same exact as Gus, and had a top three HART QoC and HARO QoC (quality of competition faced stats), (behind Schenn and Timonen, right above Gus) on the team, with, yes, some bone head mistakes - the reaction was during the time he was "OK he's doing fine, but back the AHL with him so Gus can come up".

Gus, who is older, has been total...****ing...****. He has been down right horrible out there these games...and people say "Oh give him another year to get up to speed"

I get it - Gus is the sexy player, the player we all want out there. **** the player we NEED out there - but only if he develops into that. But man... It's time to admit that some of other D prospects might just deserve a spot on team more right now because they have out worked him

CavemanLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 12:47 PM
  #338
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,422
vCash: 500
Per Bill..agree in spades. I do not like the continuing trend even if it's preseason.

If Lavi doesn't get this team firing out of the gates and they continue with the slow starts within the game and in the standings, then he will have to go. No excuses this year. Leaders are supposed to be innovative...it seems his system is stale especially against teams like NJ..


Quote:
FAMILIAR SCRIPT IN PRESEASON LOSS TO NEW JERSEY

Ordinarily, there is no cause for concern over how a team plays in the preseason. It is also common for teams to struggle in the opening period of their first match after a lengthy stretch of days without a game. Teams can have intense practices for days on end, especially at this stage of training camp, but there is still no substitute for game action.

That said, the Flyers' 2-1 home loss to the New Jersey Devils last night looked awfully familiar. It looked like much of the 2012 Eastern Conference Semifinals, in which New Jersey dispatched the Flyers in five games. The game also looked much like the regular season series from last season, in which New Jersey won four of five games and held the Flyers to one or zero regulation goals in three of the games.

Basically, Pete DeBoer's Devils play the Flyers the same way, game in and game out. They are patient and make Philadelphia work for every foot of real estate. Despite personnel changes over the last couple years, Peter Laviolette's Flyers still have not found ways to cope. They may play well in a given 20-minute period (as was the case in the middle period last night) but they tend to pay the price for defensive breakdowns and struggle to finish scoring chances against this team.

Preseason or not and week-long game layoff or not, the first period last night was an abomination for the Flyers. The defense-to-forward gap was way too wide, the forecheck was non-existent with the Flyers spending too much time in their own end of the ice.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-...-Loss/45/54247

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 12:54 PM
  #339
Jtown
Registered User
 
Jtown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fairfax, Virginia
Posts: 10,404
vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Per Bill..agree in spades. I do not like the continuing trend even if it's preseason.

If Lavi doesn't get this team firing out of the gates and they continue with the slow starts within the game and in the standings, then he will have to go. No excuses this year. Leaders are supposed to be innovative...it seems his system is stale especially against teams like NJ..
Coming out the gate hot is going to be important this year. We have an easy schedule in october. and our first 5 games are very winnable. i think we need to get atleast 7 points in those first 5 games.

Jtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 01:22 PM
  #340
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,422
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Coming out the gate hot is going to be important this year. We have an easy schedule in october. and our first 5 games are very winnable. i think we need to get atleast 7 points in those first 5 games.
First 5 games might be winnable but the next six will be a challenge. They absolutely have to have a strong start and they have to be more consistent. If the same lamentations about slow starts, 60 mins of play, winnless streaks above 3 games become the norm early in the season it will be a massive red flag and I will blow a gasket...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 02:23 PM
  #341
flyersfan018
Registered User
 
flyersfan018's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 3,364
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CavemanLawyer View Post
Devil's advocate here (not because I'm that high or anything on either of players I'm about to mention, but... just because it needs to be said) -

Lauridsen , a younger player who was called up and filled in a hole quite well last year, had a iFenwick/60 higher than Gus and iCorsi/60 the same exact as Gus, and had a top three HART QoC and HARO QoC (quality of competition faced stats), (behind Schenn and Timonen, right above Gus) on the team, with, yes, some bone head mistakes - the reaction was during the time he was "OK he's doing fine, but back the AHL with him so Gus can come up".

Gus, who is older, has been total...****ing...****. He has been down right horrible out there these games...and people say "Oh give him another year to get up to speed"

I get it - Gus is the sexy player, the player we all want out there. **** the player we NEED out there - but only if he develops into that. But man... It's time to admit that some of other D prospects might just deserve a spot on team more right now because they have out worked him
I've never been a big Lauridsen fan but you're right. He hasn't been given much of a chance over Gustaffsson.

flyersfan018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 02:24 PM
  #342
Hiesenberg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 3,354
vCash: 491
I like Laviolette and put me in the boat that if they fire him, I'm not going to be thrilled with his replacement, HOWEVER, I'm seeing a lot of the same bad habits or issues. If they start off slow, I won't mind a replacement, but my fear is that it will be Murray or some other recycled junk.

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 02:40 PM
  #343
Jtown
Registered User
 
Jtown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fairfax, Virginia
Posts: 10,404
vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
First 5 games might be winnable but the next six will be a challenge. They absolutely have to have a strong start and they have to be more consistent. If the same lamentations about slow starts, 60 mins of play, winnless streaks above 3 games become the norm early in the season it will be a massive red flag and I will blow a gasket...

good point. THat makes those first 5 games even more crucial.

Jtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 02:51 PM
  #344
Crescent Street
Saturday Nite Hockey
 
Crescent Street's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Long Island
Posts: 2,495
vCash: 500
The one thing we have going for us is that we're catching the Leafs (who also gave us fits last season) on a back to back in Philly. Hopefully their fight with MTL the night prior takes some gas out of em.

Crescent Street is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:03 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.