HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Zack Kassian

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-25-2013, 01:24 AM
  #151
Ched Brosky
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,886
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
Same hockey IQ, Eager used to show flashes of being a guy that could be a damn solid power forward, but well...you can't teach hockey IQ I guess. He did have moments as a Hawk where he looked like he would be putting it all together and be a guy that could throw them down and put up 20 goals, but then...his brain. Zack is on that same path, but let Canucks fans pretend he's their savior.

Canucks were bound to have their own "Stojanov for Naslund" type trade.

Hodgson is a stud of a player, Sabres got an amazing player out of that deal.
People like u comparing kassian to eager are out to lunch. Eager has never shown the ability to score at any level. Chl he never had a season at ppg or above. Kassian did the his last year which was his 18 yr old season.

Not only that kassian has about 10 more points in less than half the amount of games played compared to eager in the ahl. Kassian has been almost a ppg player in his 2 20-30 game ahl stints while eagers best season was 18 points in 49 games

U say he showed flashes of being able to put it together well almost every single player will have their moments. Just because a player has a few moments doesn't change anything if they haven't shown they can score at any other level previously. Kassian has not only shown he has pretty good iq and flashes of being able to dominate he has been a scorer at every lower level he's played in something eager will never be able to say. Even to this day he can't score in the ahl.

Besides being drafted in the 1st round what has eager done that compares him to kassian exactly?

Ched Brosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 01:29 AM
  #152
Honour Over Glory
Registered User
 
Honour Over Glory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: North America
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 13,606
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ched Brosky View Post
People like u comparing kassian to eager are out to lunch. Eager has never shown the ability to score at any level. Chl he never had a season at ppg or above. Kassian did the his last year which was his 18 yr old season.

Not only that kassian has about 10 more points in less than half the amount of games played compared to eager in the ahl. Kassian has been almost a ppg player in his 2 20-30 game ahl stints while eagers best season was 18 points in 49 games

U say he showed flashes of being able to put it together well almost every single player will have their moments. Just because a player has a few moments doesn't change anything if they haven't shown they can score at any other level previously. Kassian has not only shown he has pretty good iq and flashes of being able to dominate he has been a scorer at every lower level he's played in something eager will never be able to say. Even to this day he can't score in the ahl.

Besides being drafted in the 1st round what has eager done that compares him to kassian exactly?
Vice versa, what has Kassian done at the NHL level to earn such optimism? IN what way did Kassian have any similaries to Chara, Malone, Clowe, etc besides someone fantasizing about him possibly being a late bloomer, but oh wait, they were drafted late, for them to be as decent as they have turned out to be (Chara of course, being damn good and not just decent) is different compared to a guy drafted 13th overall. It is damn well easier to compare a guy that is closer to the physical attributes, also drafted in the 1st round, a whopping 10 spots lesser vs rounds, as well as being a PWF type when drafted. The similarities are there, you just want to ignore it, because you I guess...have "reasons." Or something to that extent, god forbid any actual analysis of his play beyond the Canucks matters, or even people that have seen the guy play and know what they are talking about. Lol.

I loved watching that year of the Spitfires by the way, I was keen on seeing just how good Kuhnhackl was and that team was just nuts, Koko was amazing, so was Ellis, and Tom... for the case of Zack, you might be overrating his production that year, but then again, you have 60 games or so of watching him, you know best I guess.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 01:30 AM
  #153
phlocky
Registered User
 
phlocky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 6,361
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
Same hockey IQ, Eager used to show flashes of being a guy that could be a damn solid power forward, but well...you can't teach hockey IQ I guess. He did have moments as a Hawk where he looked like he would be putting it all together and be a guy that could throw them down and put up 20 goals, but then...his brain. Zack is on that same path, but let Canucks fans pretend he's their savior.

Canucks were bound to have their own "Stojanov for Naslund" type trade.

Hodgson is a stud of a player, Sabres got an amazing player out of that deal.

As I said, only time will tell. I personally just don't see him ever coming close to reaching the hype around him nor the lofty expectations of Nuck fans in here but hey, I've been wrong before. We'll see.

Obviously, with my admittedly low opinion of him, I wouldn't offer much of anything of value for him and to me the Canucks should just hold on to him and hope he makes me eat crow.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 01:41 AM
  #154
Eskimo44
Registered User
 
Eskimo44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 5,789
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Exactly right. They offered David Freakin' Clarkson $6mil longterm.

Don't see Eager having the guts to stand up to Kassian the next time these 2 meet. Kassian already almost ended his career with 1 punch, at the age of 21.

Kassian put Sestito and Eager on IR and only landed 1 punch in both fights. That tells you all you need to know about this kids raw power. You just can't teach that devastating punching ability.
I don't believe that rumour, i think it's the Toronto media hyping the signing. The Schnieder rumours were apparently untrue as well, again it was a good ploy in order to hype a deal. These things are rumours not facts.

Eskimo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 01:59 AM
  #155
Ched Brosky
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,886
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
Vice versa, what has Kassian done at the NHL level to earn such optimism? IN what way did Kassian have any similaries to Chara, Malone, Clowe, etc besides someone fantasizing about him possibly being a late bloomer, but oh wait, they were drafted late, for them to be as decent as they have turned out to be (Chara of course, being damn good and not just decent) is different compared to a guy drafted 13th overall. It is damn well easier to compare a guy that is closer to the physical attributes, also drafted in the 1st round, a whopping 10 spots lesser vs rounds, as well as being a PWF type when drafted. The similarities are there, you just want to ignore it, because you I guess...have "reasons." Or something to that extent, god forbid any actual analysis of his play beyond the Canucks matters, or even people that have seen the guy play and know what they are talking about. Lol.

I loved watching that year of the Spitfires by the way, I was keen on seeing just how good Kuhnhackl was and that team was just nuts, Koko was amazing, so was Ellis, and Tom... for the case of Zack, you might be overrating his production that year, but then again, you have 60 games or so of watching him, you know best I guess.
First of all I'm sure most people here comparing him to the guys u mentioned are hoping he tops out as good as them where as u are saying he will top out as a guy he is head and shoulders above already. How can one take ur opinion seriously when your claiming he will be at best as good as someone he's already much better than?

Not only that but how u imply that u seeing more games somehow means u know more than anyone else is one of the worst logical thought processes ever. If both people have seen a fair amount of games it doesn't matter who has seen more games. I bet u believe that because someone is older it means they are wiser or more mature as well? Or that because more people say one thing it means they are right? I bet u also believe the logic that any guy in the NHL is better than any not in the NHL as well?

Kassian has put up 21 points in 83 NHL games. That's not bad for someone of his age and ilk. Not only that but the majority of his games were played on the 4th line with scrubs named Andrew ebbett and dale Weise. Yet he still manages to show flashes of offensive talent or great hockey iq playing with a guy that belongs in the ahl and a guy that will never be anything more than a 12/13th forward. He constantly makes plays here in Vancouver that most players on the team wouldn't do because they don't have that iq. He also has great a great passing ability he shows often.

You say eager was a pwf type when he was drafted i just see another case of teams reaching like they do with these types of players because he had a decent season. At least kassian had a great season under his belt prior to the draft.

You also say eager showed flashes of being a 20 goal scorer, doubt he ever did seeing how in his 4 years in junior he only surpassed 20 goals once as a 19 yr old mind u, and in his 3 ahl seasons after he never came close to reaching 20 goals. He had troubles reaching 10 goals (something he never did) and your going to tell me he showed flashes of being able to score 20 in the NHL?


Zack surpassed 20 goals twice in his 4 junior years and probably would have the season he was injured. In his 2 ahl seasons zack was on pace to reach 20+ goals both seasons so in his 6 years outside the NHL he would have 5 where he had reached 20 goals if he had played the whole season.

Like I said show me something that compares the 2 besides draft status. You have yet to do that. Hell I'd even love to see a scouting report on eager from the draft and see what it says

EDIT: found a scouting report from central scouting on eager and the only good offensive trait they listed he had outside of his size and anything to do with his size was his speed and how he drives to the net. Zack kassian's report says he's got great hands and passing ability. Hmm I wonder which one sounds like he has the ability to be a top 6 guy and which one sounds like he'd become a 3rd line net crasher at best.


Last edited by Ched Brosky: 09-25-2013 at 02:50 AM.
Ched Brosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 02:00 AM
  #156
BoHorvatFan
Registered User
 
BoHorvatFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 9,098
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolChamp View Post
really? care to list some of these trades? right.. didn't think so.
Steve Bernier from San Jose to Buffalo.

Steve Bernier from Buffalo to Vancouver.

Steve Bernier from Vancouver to Florida.

BoHorvatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 02:03 AM
  #157
Honour Over Glory
Registered User
 
Honour Over Glory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: North America
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 13,606
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NugentHopkinsfan View Post
Steve Bernier from San Jose to Buffalo.

Steve Bernier from Buffalo to Vancouver.

Steve Bernier from Vancouver to Florida.


Oh god, I remember that guy. Canucks fans were all like "he'll find his game here" and then...reality is a b.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 02:04 AM
  #158
SillyRabbit
Trix Are For Kids
 
SillyRabbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,131
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
Same hockey IQ, Eager used to show flashes of being a guy that could be a damn solid power forward, but well...you can't teach hockey IQ I guess. He did have moments as a Hawk where he looked like he would be putting it all together and be a guy that could throw them down and put up 20 goals, but then...his brain. Zack is on that same path, but let Canucks fans pretend he's their savior.

Canucks were bound to have their own "Stojanov for Naslund" type trade.

Hodgson is a stud of a player, Sabres got an amazing player out of that deal.
In that trade, Pittsburgh didn't know that Naslund would become a stud.

Mike Gillis was well aware of Hodgsons capabilities, and still traded him for what COULD turn out to be a 3rd line grinder.

As a Canucks fan, I don't see how any of my fellow fans can defend this trade at the moment.

Do I hope Kassian reaches his potential? Absolutely.

If he doesn't, this trade will continue to be an complete steal for Buffalo.

SillyRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 02:17 AM
  #159
Honour Over Glory
Registered User
 
Honour Over Glory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: North America
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 13,606
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyRabbit View Post
In that trade, Pittsburgh didn't know that Naslund would become a stud.

Mike Gillis was well aware of Hodgsons capabilities, and still traded him for what COULD turn out to be a 3rd line grinder.

As a Canucks fan, I don't see how any of my fellow fans can defend this trade at the moment.

Do I hope Kassian reaches his potential? Absolutely.

If he doesn't, this trade will continue to be an complete steal for Buffalo.


Now I know you guys really don't know what you are talking about.

Penguins moved Naslund because they had skilled wingers, you mean to tell me the Penguins didn't know they had a 50+pt winger at 21 on their hands, early in his career mind you, when they traded him? HE put up those numbers before he was traded. Yes they did know he was a skilled winger (they had been trying to find a new Stevens/Tocchet for a long time, still haven't actually), they moved him because they had enough of "that" kind of skilled winger and wanted to get a power forward and because Stojanov was drafted high, they figured he could be redeemed with a new setting (sound familar?) but that was never the case, he's a successful Firefighter I hear, good on Alek, sucks for my team for losing a skilled guy for basically nothing.

Speaking of Stojanov...55pts in 35 games in the OHL, omg over a ppg as a teen!

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 03:30 AM
  #160
jgoud*
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ched Brosky View Post
First of all I'm sure most people here comparing him to the guys u mentioned are hoping he tops out as good as them where as u are saying he will top out as a guy he is head and shoulders above already. How can one take ur opinion seriously when your claiming he will be at best as good as someone he's already much better than?

Not only that but how u imply that u seeing more games somehow means u know more than anyone else is one of the worst logical thought processes ever. If both people have seen a fair amount of games it doesn't matter who has seen more games. I bet u believe that because someone is older it means they are wiser or more mature as well? Or that because more people say one thing it means they are right? I bet u also believe the logic that any guy in the NHL is better than any not in the NHL as well?

Kassian has put up 21 points in 83 NHL games. That's not bad for someone of his age and ilk. Not only that but the majority of his games were played on the 4th line with scrubs named Andrew ebbett and dale Weise. Yet he still manages to show flashes of offensive talent or great hockey iq playing with a guy that belongs in the ahl and a guy that will never be anything more than a 12/13th forward. He constantly makes plays here in Vancouver that most players on the team wouldn't do because they don't have that iq. He also has great a great passing ability he shows often.

You say eager was a pwf type when he was drafted i just see another case of teams reaching like they do with these types of players because he had a decent season. At least kassian had a great season under his belt prior to the draft.

You also say eager showed flashes of being a 20 goal scorer, doubt he ever did seeing how in his 4 years in junior he only surpassed 20 goals once as a 19 yr old mind u, and in his 3 ahl seasons after he never came close to reaching 20 goals. He had troubles reaching 10 goals (something he never did) and your going to tell me he showed flashes of being able to score 20 in the NHL?


Zack surpassed 20 goals twice in his 4 junior years and probably would have the season he was injured. In his 2 ahl seasons zack was on pace to reach 20+ goals both seasons so in his 6 years outside the NHL he would have 5 where he had reached 20 goals if he had played the whole season.

Like I said show me something that compares the 2 besides draft status. You have yet to do that. Hell I'd even love to see a scouting report on eager from the draft and see what it says

EDIT: found a scouting report from central scouting on eager and the only good offensive trait they listed he had outside of his size and anything to do with his size was his speed and how he drives to the net. Zack kassian's report says he's got great hands and passing ability. Hmm I wonder which one sounds like he has the ability to be a top 6 guy and which one sounds like he'd become a 3rd line net crasher at best.
So basically you're saying Kassian has a brighter future and won't be like Eager because he had two +20 goal seasons in the OHL compared to Eager only having one? Wow that's quite the argument. Also, I really hope you weren't talking about Clowe and Malone being better than Kassian, because Kassian is definitely not better than them and hasn't proven to being even close to them when it comes down to skill and point totals.

I'l show you something that does compare the two besides draft status though: their production. You say Kassian put up 21 points in 80 some games, well Eager had 29 in his first 90 or so games. Looks like Eager has him beat there. Another comparable is that they are both boneheads and have a history of being idiots, Kassian got a 20 game suspension in the minors and was arrested in Windsor for assault. And it would be great if you could cite the sources for those scouting reports because I'm sure most nuck fans know Kassian has limited hockey IQ and hands of stone. Both are big bodies that have speed and are potential power forwards, but don't tell me Kassian has top 6 potential.

jgoud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 03:37 AM
  #161
Honour Over Glory
Registered User
 
Honour Over Glory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: North America
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 13,606
vCash: 500
Well...damn, lol.

In any case, maybe we eat crow, maybe we don't. This should be an interesting year and this thread will be something to look back on for Canucks fans to say told you so or for us to say it to some of the folks here saying he will turn into the next Bertuzzi.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 07:27 AM
  #162
Bleach Clean
Moderator
 
Bleach Clean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 16,859
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoud View Post
So basically you're saying Kassian has a brighter future and won't be like Eager because he had two +20 goal seasons in the OHL compared to Eager only having one? Wow that's quite the argument. Also, I really hope you weren't talking about Clowe and Malone being better than Kassian, because Kassian is definitely not better than them and hasn't proven to being even close to them when it comes down to skill and point totals.

I'l show you something that does compare the two besides draft status though: their production. You say Kassian put up 21 points in 80 some games, well Eager had 29 in his first 90 or so games. Looks like Eager has him beat there. Another comparable is that they are both boneheads and have a history of being idiots, Kassian got a 20 game suspension in the minors and was arrested in Windsor for assault. And it would be great if you could cite the sources for those scouting reports because I'm sure most nuck fans know Kassian has limited hockey IQ and hands of stone. Both are big bodies that have speed and are potential power forwards, but don't tell me Kassian has top 6 potential.
The greater sample to judge both players is their OHL track record. Kassian's production rate was 1.03PPG, .815PPG, and 1.375PPG. From his draft year to his last year. Eager went .587PPG, .689PPG and .852PPG. That means, Eager's best season over 150+ games of sample size only slightly beats Kassian's worst season. Now if we are to judge them based on production at equivalent ages, how do you account for the difference?

Top6 potential is also a subjective standard. Year to year, the low end Top6 scoring rate (151st to 180 range) is between 37 and 32 points, roughly. Average to about 35~ points. Now, for Kassian to have a realistic potential to reach a Top6 scoring rate, one would have to be confident that he would get above that 35 point marker. If you believe he cannot do that, then you would be correct in saying he doesn't even the potential to score at a Top6 scoring rate. However, I am of the mindset that he will get above that number. So I guess we'll see.

Bleach Clean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 08:57 AM
  #163
dave babych returns
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 4,500
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoud View Post
And it would be great if you could cite the sources for those scouting reports because I'm sure most nuck fans know Kassian has limited hockey IQ and hands of stone. Both are big bodies that have speed and are potential power forwards, but don't tell me Kassian has top 6 potential.
Are you kidding?

Honestly dude don't get too carried away because when you start questioning easily verifiable statements it makes it look like you've gone completely overboard and can't take part in an objective discussion.

To find these quotes I had to dig all the way down to the depths of obscurity, NHL.com:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Scouting's Chris Edwards
"Kassian is one of the toughest guys in the OHL and probably the entire draft. Last season as an under-ager there were overage guys in the league who would not take him on. He has not fought much this season (because) he has not had to. He is at his best when he is playing physical and tough along the boards. He protects the puck very well and fights through checks. He has very good play-making and puck-handling abilities."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterborough head coach Ken McRae
"Zack Kassian is a great kid that loves the game and approaches practices the same way he approaches games with hard work and intensity. (He’s a) big, tough right shot power forward with a mean streak. Very heavy shot to go along with a high skill level as well as a physical, intimidating style of play. Zack takes pride in his off-ice workouts and is a very well conditioned athlete."

dave babych returns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 11:12 AM
  #164
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On
 
Winroba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,509
vCash: 500
what it comes down to is that when Eager was in junior, he got his goals from being big and rushing to the net, Kassian got his goals by using his shot and racked up the assists on smart, well placed passes.

Winroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 11:40 AM
  #165
TylerSVT*
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
Same hockey IQ, Eager used to show flashes of being a guy that could be a damn solid power forward, but well...you can't teach hockey IQ I guess. He did have moments as a Hawk where he looked like he would be putting it all together and be a guy that could throw them down and put up 20 goals, but then...his brain. Zack is on that same path, but let Canucks fans pretend he's their savior.

Canucks were bound to have their own "Stojanov for Naslund" type trade.

Hodgson is a stud of a player, Sabres got an amazing player out of that deal.

Ding ding ding, we could argue all day long about Kassians skills, how great his hands are and his playmaking abilities. But at the end of the day, he has the Hockey IQ of a brick, he always has. He takes stupid penalties and is generally a pretty dumb player out there.

Sure he could turn into Lucic, but most likely he will turn into a more skilled Ben Eager. Not that that is terrible, its just that Gillis gave up Hodgson for him.


I honestly believe if Kassian had been acquired for a 3rd round pick or something, Vancouver fans would be less homerish towards him, but because they already got fleeced, they try to make it sound like Kassian is going to turn into something special.

Dunno, just my .02, i have never been impressed by him, in the AHL last year and in the NHL, everytime i see him he makes a stupid play or loses the puck. Sure he can fight and be a good because he is large, but his Hockey IQ is abysmal.

TylerSVT* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 12:01 PM
  #166
Ched Brosky
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,886
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoud View Post
So basically you're saying Kassian has a brighter future and won't be like Eager because he had two +20 goal seasons in the OHL compared to Eager only having one? Wow that's quite the argument. Also, I really hope you weren't talking about Clowe and Malone being better than Kassian, because Kassian is definitely not better than them and hasn't proven to being even close to them when it comes down to skill and point totals.

I'l show you something that does compare the two besides draft status though: their production. You say Kassian put up 21 points in 80 some games, well Eager had 29 in his first 90 or so games. Looks like Eager has him beat there. Another comparable is that they are both boneheads and have a history of being idiots, Kassian got a 20 game suspension in the minors and was arrested in Windsor for assault. And it would be great if you could cite the sources for those scouting reports because I'm sure most nuck fans know Kassian has limited hockey IQ and hands of stone. Both are big bodies that have speed and are potential power forwards, but don't tell me Kassian has top 6 potential.
Not only has kassian put up much better points in the Ohl, but in the ahl as well. Eager can't even put up 10 goals in the ahl let alone be almost ppg in the ahl like kassian.

Also your stats on eager are completely wrong so good job on that. In eager's first 88 games he had 19 points. 5 more games 2 less points. That's not 29 in 90. Let's go farther and see if going over 90 helps. In his next 23 games he had 0 points. That brings the total to 111 games played and still 19 points. Hmm so where did this 29 points in 90 games come from? Someone's just making up stats aren't they?

Also as I said before people here are hoping he tops out as a clowe/lucic etc no one has said he is better so I don't get why ur trying to put words in my mouth and say I said he is better than them.


Last edited by Ched Brosky: 09-25-2013 at 12:10 PM.
Ched Brosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 12:22 PM
  #167
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 29,534
vCash: 500
I'd love him on the Rangers. What would it cost?

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 12:28 PM
  #168
StringerBell
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 10,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
I'd love him on the Rangers. What would it cost?
If this thread is to be believed, the Canucks would have to pay the Rangers to take him off their hands

In reality it would have to be a one for one prospect/young player deal who Gillis likes better than Kass.

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 12:30 PM
  #169
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 29,534
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
If this thread is to be believed, the Canucks would have to pay the Rangers to take him off their hands

In reality it would have to be a one for one prospect/young player deal who Gillis likes better than Kass.
Forward or defense?

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 01:11 PM
  #170
jgoud*
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ched Brosky View Post
First of all I'm sure most people here comparing him to the guys u mentioned are hoping he tops out as good as them where as u are saying he will top out as a guy he is head and shoulders above already. How can one take ur opinion seriously when your claiming he will be at best as good as someone he's already much better than?

Not only that but how u imply that u seeing more games somehow means u know more than anyone else is one of the worst logical thought processes ever. If both people have seen a fair amount of games it doesn't matter who has seen more games. I bet u believe that because someone is older it means they are wiser or more mature as well? Or that because more people say one thing it means they are right? I bet u also believe the logic that any guy in the NHL is better than any not in the NHL as well?

Kassian has put up 21 points in 83 NHL games. That's not bad for someone of his age and ilk. Not only that but the majority of his games were played on the 4th line with scrubs named Andrew ebbett and dale Weise. Yet he still manages to show flashes of offensive talent or great hockey iq playing with a guy that belongs in the ahl and a guy that will never be anything more than a 12/13th forward. He constantly makes plays here in Vancouver that most players on the team wouldn't do because they don't have that iq. He also has great a great passing ability he shows often.

You say eager was a pwf type when he was drafted i just see another case of teams reaching like they do with these types of players because he had a decent season. At least kassian had a great season under his belt prior to the draft.

You also say eager showed flashes of being a 20 goal scorer, doubt he ever did seeing how in his 4 years in junior he only surpassed 20 goals once as a 19 yr old mind u, and in his 3 ahl seasons after he never came close to reaching 20 goals. He had troubles reaching 10 goals (something he never did) and your going to tell me he showed flashes of being able to score 20 in the NHL?


Zack surpassed 20 goals twice in his 4 junior years and probably would have the season he was injured. In his 2 ahl seasons zack was on pace to reach 20+ goals both seasons so in his 6 years outside the NHL he would have 5 where he had reached 20 goals if he had played the whole season.

Like I said show me something that compares the 2 besides draft status. You have yet to do that. Hell I'd even love to see a scouting report on eager from the draft and see what it says

EDIT: found a scouting report from central scouting on eager and the only good offensive trait they listed he had outside of his size and anything to do with his size was his speed and how he drives to the net. Zack kassian's report says he's got great hands and passing ability. Hmm I wonder which one sounds like he has the ability to be a top 6 guy and which one sounds like he'd become a 3rd line net crasher at best.
The first bolded is hard to read because it's barely english, but what i took from it was that the quy you quoted was asking how Kassian is similar to Malone and Clowe and you said he is already better than them. The 29 in 90 games was an accident and i used the 18 points he had in the AHL instead of the 8 he really had in the NHL, my mistake. Even then, they have very similar numbers at the NHL level in their first 2 years and that's what matters, OHL/AHL is no the same thing. The fact is that Kassian is a slightly more skilled Ben Eager and Kassian has the same track record as Eager when he entered the league.

jgoud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 01:32 PM
  #171
StringerBell
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 10,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
Forward or defense?
If there was a deal to be made it would be for a forward, for sure.

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 01:52 PM
  #172
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 29,534
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
If there was a deal to be made it would be for a forward, for sure.
Kreider? Kristo? Someone like Boyle +?

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 02:30 PM
  #173
Ched Brosky
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,886
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoud View Post
The first bolded is hard to read because it's barely english, but what i took from it was that the quy you quoted was asking how Kassian is similar to Malone and Clowe and you said he is already better than them. The 29 in 90 games was an accident and i used the 18 points he had in the AHL instead of the 8 he really had in the NHL, my mistake. Even then, they have very similar numbers at the NHL level in their first 2 years and that's what matters, OHL/AHL is no the same thing. The fact is that Kassian is a slightly more skilled Ben Eager and Kassian has the same track record as Eager when he entered the league.
I don't get how it's hard to read if u actually read what I quoted too lol. the guy I quoted said kassian will be as good as eager when he reaches his potential and he was calling others crazy for hoping kassian reaches clowe/lucic etc level. What I said was people aren't saying he will be as good as clowe/lucic they are hoping he tops out at their level. I never once said kassian was better than clowe or lucic, however I did say he is already better than eager.

Your also saying scoring at lower levels doesn't matter? How can it not? If a guy can't put up good numbers in the Ohl or ahl, why would anyone think for a second he could score at the NHL level? If a prospect can put up almost a ppg in their rookie seasons in the ahl that bodes well for them as it shows they have the offensive talent and that it could translate to the NHL. It shows they have potential something eager never showed.

Also eager was a year older than kassian when he got his first 2 NHL looks. Kassian was 20 when he played with the sabres and 21 with the canucks. Eager was 21 when he started with the flyers. An extra year of development means a lot at such a young age. Let's see what kassian does this season and compare this season and his last to eagers 2 first seasons as that way we are looking at both of their 21-22 yr old seasons

Ched Brosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 02:42 PM
  #174
TOML
Registered User
 
TOML's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Walnut Grove
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,466
vCash: 500
Quote:
Kassian vows to get ‘into even better shape’ while suspended

A day after his fitness received only a lukewarm endorsement from head coach John Tortorella, Canucks forward Zack Kassian was vowing to take advantage of the extra training time – courtesy an eight-game suspension for breaking Sam Gagner‘s jaw — that he’ll be afforded the next few weeks.

“I need to make sure I stay on top of things,” Kassian said today, per The Province. “If you’re looking for a positive, it’s a time to get into even better shape than I was. I have to look forward to something and it’s getting into even better shape.”

Yesterday, Tortorella referred to Kassian’s fitness as merely “OK,” adding that the suspension “gives us a chance to really nail him as far as conditioning. That’s one plus. And he will get nailed.”

The Canucks are hoping for big things from Kassian in 2013-14. The 22-year-old winger is expected to get the opportunity to skate with the Sedin twins on Vancouver’s first line.

Before he was suspended, however, Kassian’s performance in two preseason contests failed to draw a ton of praise.
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...ile-suspended/

Meanwhile, Hansen played well with the Sedins in the Canucks' only preseason win. I wouldn't be annointing Kassian a permanent top-6 position on that team quite yet. However, Bickell and the like aren't permanent top-6ers either.

TOML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 02:46 PM
  #175
Ryp37
Registered User
 
Ryp37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4,105
vCash: 500
Kassians trainer says he's in the best shape ever coming into this season and Torts says it's just okay...may want to find someone new to train with in the off-season Kass

Ryp37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:33 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.