HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

The Hockey Noob Chronicles II (Beginners' Thread)

Old
09-17-2013, 07:41 PM
Primrose Everdeen
Libérée, Délivrée

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islesfan24 View Post
2. Buy everything used except a helmet and skates. The helmet is extremely important! Your head is precious cargo and should not be protected by a cheap piece of plastic. As for skates, start with a lower model, I skate with Bauer Vapor x2.0's, and they do the job.
I wouldn't recommend buying a used cup either.

09-18-2013, 02:21 AM
beth

vCash: 500
Jeez, you guys!

Nice work, kid! Glad you were able to get into the game! Have a great season!

beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 02:45 AM
beth

Thought I'd drop in and say hey! It's been about 3 years since I started the noob thread, and I love that it's become such a great resource of tips and support for new players!

Today was my first night in gear after breaking my collarbone this summer. Still a bit hesitant, but omg it was so nice to feel my feet get back into it. Hopefully I'll be at 100% before the first game. Skating is fine, shooting is not quite there yet and won't be until that bone is comfortably solid.

I received my USA hockey level 4 certification, and will be head(!) coach of a 12U rec team this year. We start practice next week and I am both excited and nervous (much like I was before my first game!) If you asked me three years ago if I would be doing this I would have never believed it! I've learned SO MUCH and it's been so fun. Even though I'm probably not considered a "noob" anymore, I am still trying to get better. So I am still around!

Anyhoo, that's my update. If this old lady can do this, you can too! Keep practicing and get awesome! Have fun!

Old
09-18-2013, 02:57 AM
AntsSheffield

Wow! Nice work, Beth.

I'm one year into a similar journey. I'm seeing 3 years as a time frame to become reasonably good at hockey for my age etc (old guy )

AntsSheffield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 07:29 AM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Also, make friends with other people at your level. If there is a beginner league, get involved. If there is an instructional time, go to that even though you'll be the worst player there.

I go to an instructional league every week and when I started I was by far the worst skater, shooter, passer - well, I was a BEGINNER. And as time went on, I learned to do those things. Now I'm still not great, but I'm not the worst one there any more. It's nice to see the progress and when I see new players now, I realize that that was ME just 18 months ago - and now I'm not like that anymore!

If you have lots of friends in various places who play in the same level as you, you'll find that playing opportunities open up - private pick-up games, local tournaments, etc. You'll start getting invited and it will feel like you always have a chance to play.

TickleMeYandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 01:58 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Nice work Islesfan!

I will merge with the other beginner thread though

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 01:48 AM
JackFr

Here we go... I'm 17 and a week away from my debut on my college intramural hockey team. Problem is that I've never played a non-shinny game of ice hockey in my life, or even skated with a full set of equipment on. I was forced to miss practice because I left my (new) shin pads at home, so no matter what my first experience will be game action.

I'm an adequate skater (forwards at least, I think I've unlearned backwards skating) with decent hands from years of constant road hockey. I will either debut in a pickup game on Monday or a legitimate Division II UofT intramural game on Friday. Any tips for adjusting to the weight and not embarrassing myself?

JackFr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 02:46 PM
Stickchecked

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaminnj View Post
I had a groin issue that lasted 4 years. I just found a great RMT who has been able to actually fix the issue in 3 one hour massage sessions.

I heard about using a RMT or SMT for groin pulls by reading beyond the crease by Martin Brodure. But I have to tell you that finding a good RMT that dosen't think you are asking for a tuggy when you say you need work on your groin is very hard work. Some will say "Oh I know exactly what you mean" then give you a back rub, flip you over and depending on you (Try to) start working on not exactly the groin.

It took me a year to find a real RMT who worked with sports injury's but I have to tell you that it has been worth the wait!

Okay with all the above said I know I have set myself up for jokes but the info is good info and has worked to resolve the burning and pulling sensation in the knee and inside of my left thigh I had been dealing for 4 + years.
I totally agree with this. I've had my history with groin issues and read a lot about the effectiveness of manual therapy (massage) to resolve it. But good luck finding one. There needs to be a web resource for these people, they could charge a premium.

In addition to that, a PT helped me resolve my groin issues by working on pelvic stability and strengthening the glutes.

Stickchecked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 06:14 PM
TrueBlue86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islesfan24 View Post
2. Buy everything used except a helmet and skates. The helmet is extremely important! Your head is precious cargo and should not be protected by a cheap piece of plastic. As for skates, start with a lower model, I skate with Bauer Vapor x2.0's, and they do the job.
Why is that?

If you are investing weeks/months learning to skate and have spent some time researching equipment, I say it's a good idea to buy higher end stuff (if that's what you'd like).

Buying cheaper items only to replace them shortly after makes little sense to me, as long as you know you'll stick with the game. With the amount of things to spend our money on these days, spending a few extra bucks to get better items/enjoyment for the game you love is well worth it imo.

TrueBlue86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 06:54 PM
CanucksSayEh

I got used gear from a friend when I started. Bought my own helmet and gloves. Its nice to gain a preference before spending money, but yea you cant really go too wrong and if you stick to it then you will get the bang for your buck.

CanucksSayEh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 08:02 PM
Islesfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue86 View Post
Why is that?

If you are investing weeks/months learning to skate and have spent some time researching equipment, I say it's a good idea to buy higher end stuff (if that's what you'd like).

Buying cheaper items only to replace them shortly after makes little sense to me, as long as you know you'll stick with the game. With the amount of things to spend our money on these days, spending a few extra bucks to get better items/enjoyment for the game you love is well worth it imo.
Totally understand that and come to think of it, maybe I should have dropped a few more bucks on pants considering i now need replacements. But with that said, when you are just learning how to skate, the maximum energy transfer and stuff like that is totally irrelevant to basic skating.

Islesfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2013, 08:11 PM
beth

For first sets of gear, I agree buying cheap and used is a pretty good way to go, because you don't really know what you're looking for in gear yet. Once you've been in your first gear for a while you learn where things bind/slip/pinch/don't fit just so, and will have a better idea of what to look for when you're shopping. Better to spend just a few bucks then spend more later, instead of spending a lot and then still spend more later because you initially bought high end stuff that doesn't work for you. You can do all the research you want, but you don't really know how gear really fits and moves on you until you've played for a bit.

Old
09-25-2013, 09:00 PM
PGCougar
almostcanadian

Hey guys!

First of all, thanks to everybody who helped me and answered all the questions I had about hockey in Canada, equipment and so on.

I arrived in Canada a month ago and I got it done to join the minor hockey association here and to play hockey. I have all my equipment together now and got to know our first ice times. I'm joining a house league team and our first practice will be next Thursday. I never played hockey before (I know how to skate, though) but probably everybody else did (since I'm midget level in Canada). So my simple question is, do you have any tips how to succeed at my first time playing hockey? What should I do / should I not do? What should I pay attention on?
I can live with the fact that I'm most likely the worst player on the ice since I just love the sport and want to have fun playing it. However, I'm extremely nervous and kind of afraid of not getting anything done.

Thanks for your help!

PGCougar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 10:00 PM
Malarowski

Keep your feet moving at all times, always be in motion or ready to move. If you're a forward and don't know how to shoot or handle the puck well, drive to the net and screen the goalie and hope for rebounds or redirects. The rest you'll learn.

On defense clear the puck from the zone if you can't make an easy pass.

Malarowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 04:42 PM
ganave

My second season is underway. So far I have an epic record of 0-3-1. The league doesn't have any shoot-outs or OT for tie games.

I still feel like I'm getting my legs back under me. Last game was the best so far, 1-1 tie. I let in one goal after making a nice sliding butterfly save to the right on a breakaway, but I got tangled up recovering and belly-flopped trying to stop the rebound shot. Had a scary moment because my helmet came off from flopping onto the ice that hard. I was lucky the shot went under me or I had already missed it or something. Adjusted the straps after the game.

ganave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 12:51 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelownaRocketsFan View Post
Hey guys!

First of all, thanks to everybody who helped me and answered all the questions I had about hockey in Canada, equipment and so on.

I arrived in Canada a month ago and I got it done to join the minor hockey association here and to play hockey. I have all my equipment together now and got to know our first ice times. I'm joining a house league team and our first practice will be next Thursday. I never played hockey before (I know how to skate, though) but probably everybody else did (since I'm midget level in Canada). So my simple question is, do you have any tips how to succeed at my first time playing hockey? What should I do / should I not do? What should I pay attention on?
I can live with the fact that I'm most likely the worst player on the ice since I just love the sport and want to have fun playing it. However, I'm extremely nervous and kind of afraid of not getting anything done.

Thanks for your help!
Let team mates know your situation and ask for help right off the bat. Do not be afraid to ask any question no matter how big or small.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 02:36 PM
AntsSheffield

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelownaRocketsFan View Post
Hey guys!

Thanks for your help!
I'm not far ahead of you, if at all (an old noob here ). But if I were you I would:

1. Get to stick and puck sessions. Skating with all the gear and stick is a different, errr, ball game to just skating. If they had these where I live I'd be there.
2. Work hard when you skate in training. Especially work hard in scrimmages/games. You're only playing for a couple of minutes so go for it. And keep moving. Maybe also pick a position, know what you gotta do and help organise your team-mates.

AntsSheffield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 11:36 AM
PGCougar
almostcanadian

Thank you!

PGCougar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 02:50 PM
boo10

Learn proper positional play. Being in the right spot on the ice at the correct time makes the game much easier. Most importantly, enjoy the game. I know I am biased, but there is no better place to learn than Canada.

boo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 10:04 AM
bahn

Well over the past few months my friends and I have recently been toying with the idea of playing hockey, as we all are pretty much from hockey states, (Minnesota, Michigan and Massachusetts) and being stuck in FL does not much help the Hockey bug. We pretty much just started going to open skates once or twice a week and (ME) getting cardio back up to a decent level. So main factors not in our favor, We are all in FL. Not too many ice rinks within close distance. and B: the youngest of us is 28, I'm 33. so yeah, a hair on the older side.

So, we decided maybe a skating class might help out before trying to go to something more structured, or serious like a stick and puck or some kind of shinny play. So we all signed up for a Hockey skating class. Well. That was sunday, and while I expected to be on the older side, I didn't really expect to be eh... about 20 years older than the majority of the students. The class was fairly challenging for someone trying to work on speed and control, so I definitely feel like I'm getting something out of it, however 10-13 year olds in full hockey gear are rather fearless and unpredictable, and not the best to have to follow single file in crossover drills.

And then the parents. (sigh)

I definitely had to make myself ignore quite a few parents giving death glares for some reason. Not exactly sure why, but it was an additional lovely thing that made the experience that much better. Trust me, I'm trying to avoid falling into your kids, believe me.
So yeah, apparently I'll just be doing this for another few months, all in an effort to skate better, just eating my humble pie as I fall more than the kids, and getting non verbal nastygrams from upset parents for some reason. (sigh)

bahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 10:30 AM
windycity

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahn View Post
And then the parents. (sigh)

I definitely had to make myself ignore quite a few parents giving death glares for some reason. Not exactly sure why, but it was an additional lovely thing that made the experience that much better. Trust me, I'm trying to avoid falling into your kids, believe me.

So yeah, apparently I'll just be doing this for another few months, all in an effort to skate better, just eating my humble pie as I fall more than the kids, and getting non verbal nastygrams from upset parents for some reason. (sigh)
1. Bravo on taking up the best sport there is!
2. IMO you're taking the best approach, it's obvious but 90% of it is skating and the better you get at it the more effective a player you will be. I love playing but always try and maek sure at least 50% of my limited weekly icetime is skating and other drills vs just playing.
3. Eff those parents, ignore them. I do Laura Stamm powerskating clinics here (Chicago) and the age group I'm put in is the 11+ group (I'm late 40s) and it's usually me and one other old fart and thirty 12-year olds' skating rings around us. Though parents here seem a little cooler about it, maybe more used to it. You do get weird looks the 1st time you walk in the dressing room with your gear though.
4. As you get better, some of those parental glares might turn into MILFs looking at you for other reasons . . .
5. Good luck!

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 11:05 AM
Sureshotte
Thumbs up, soldier!

Quote:
So main factors not in our favor, We are all in FL. Not too many ice rinks within close distance.
Have you considered roller hockey? You may find that you have more conveniently-situated roller rinks near to you, but even if not you can pick up a relatively cheap goal and find an open area somewhere.

It's different but will satiate your hockey needs if you can't get to a rink. A lot of the fundamentals of passing, shooting etc. are the same, even if skating itself is quite different.

Also, nice job on pulling the trigger! Get ready to be severely bitten by the hockey bug. I'm already wondering when my next session is going to be and I only played yesterday...

Sureshotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 12:07 PM
bahn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sureshotte View Post
Have you considered roller hockey? You may find that you have more conveniently-situated roller rinks near to you, but even if not you can pick up a relatively cheap goal and find an open area somewhere.
There are quite a few roller leagues, and a few Dek leagues, I just happen to live 7-8 minutes from a nice rink so I figured if I wanted to do it, might as well be ice.

Old
09-30-2013, 12:19 PM
redbranch

Quote:
this seems to be a universal. Many people don't understand why a grown up would be trying to learn a sport. I started at 40, and I got the same death stares. Plus, it's just awkward to be in a class with little kids. My learn to skate had the advantage of a 15 year old girl being my teacher. "why are you wearing a helmet?" uh, cause I'm 200 lbs, and don't have poor long term planning like a kid?

A couple of the hockey coaches even made a point of coming over and laughing at me while I was putting on my skates. You just ignore it all, and go have fun

redbranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 12:43 PM
bahn

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbranch View Post
it's just awkward to be in a class with little kids. You just ignore it all, and go have fun
Yeah, thats what I'm assuming.. But rather glad I did bring friends. and at least my instructor isn't 15.. giant nordic looking viking guy, honestly he just seemed entertained having adults in his class, at least I'm feeling suitably yelled at when I start screwing up.