HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan Jones Assigned to OKC

Old
09-25-2013, 05:16 PM
tiger_80

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAF View Post
You gotta wonder how Katz feels about MacT throwing 1.5 million of his dollars away on this signing.
Looks like MacT has got a mandate to improve this team any way he can. If Jones goes unclaimed, he will be a very good veteran player in the AHL. And who knows he might be back up if/when injuries hit the bottom 6.

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 05:20 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedingOil View Post
Why does everyone think Jones is a good guy? The guys an *******
How so?

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 05:32 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Liked his personality, but he just sucked during camp.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 05:34 PM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
I was thinking that if Jones clears waivers and heads to OKC, might be a little awkward when the Oilers show up to play their last pre-season game on Friday.

MeestaDeteta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 05:36 PM
tiger_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeestaDeteta View Post
I was thinking that if Jones clears waivers and heads to OKC, might be a little awkward when the Oilers show up to play their last pre-season game on Friday.
Why? They are professionals and Jones is no Sidney Crosby.

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 05:37 PM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_80 View Post
Why? They are professionals and Jones is no Sidney Crosby.
I get the feeling Jones didn't take it too well, I think he felt he was a lock for a roster spot going into this season.

MeestaDeteta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 05:38 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Forgot about that. You'd think they would have just waited

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 05:53 PM
KlimasLoveChild

I'm glad we can now turn the page on Mr Jones

KlimasLoveChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 05:58 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 98
Quote:
I get the feeling Jones didn't take it too well, I think he felt he was a lock for a roster spot going into this season.
He shouldn't have felt that way. I'm a bit shocked that he didn't make the team, but I like the message that is being sent. Nothing against Jones as a like him, but when you have a bad season and the team brings in players to replace you before you sign with the team, then maybe just maybe you shouldn't think you are a lock.

We had an issue with vets before thinking they deserve more than they really do and nothing was really done about it. There were a bunch of guys who had the writing on the wall to get better or risk losing their jobs, unfortunately Jones was one of the guys that didn't work hard enough this off-season.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 07:17 PM
Red Deer Rebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlimasLoveChild View Post
I'm glad we can now turn the page on Mr Jones
If claimed, yes.

But, if unclaimed, he will report to OKC, and I would wager we will see Mr. Jones back in an Oilers uniform before too long.

He'll get top line minutes down there, and Ryan Hamilton can't skate.

Jones wasn't good here since his injury, but he did score over 15 goals twice playing on the 3rd line. People are dreaming if they think any of Eakins' boys will come close to doing that.

Red Deer Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 07:23 PM
alphahelix

I don't know why he didn't have a better camp (the first game I thought he was good), but I still believe he is a better option in an 82 game season than some of the guys left. I guess he didn't deserve it this time, but if he comes back I think we'll get more out of him than the other chaff (unless the injury really set him back so far that theres no coming back, but this seems unlikely at his age).

alphahelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 07:35 PM
molsonmuscle360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Deer Rebel View Post
If claimed, yes.

But, if unclaimed, he will report to OKC, and I would wager we will see Mr. Jones back in an Oilers uniform before too long.

Jones wasn't good here since his injury, but he did score over 15 goals twice playing on the 3rd line. People are dreaming if they think any of Eakins' boys will come close to doing that.
Jones will get claimed I'm sure. I'd say either Calgary or maybe someone out east like Florida or Nashville take a flyer on him.

molsonmuscle360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 07:44 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:
Are you basing this on something, or are you just making thin assumptions out of thin air?

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 08:03 PM
KlimasLoveChild

Quote:
If claimed, yes.

Jones never was good. The game is more then kicking in the odd goal. I recall him being benched a few games during those stellar seasons you mention. The guy was a one trick pony. If Hamilton scores 10 while being physical and playing solid defense it will be an improvement.

KlimasLoveChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 08:32 PM
Hemsky4PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlimasLoveChild View Post
Jones never was good. The game is more then kicking in the odd goal. I recall him being benched a few games during those stellar seasons you mention. The guy was a one trick pony. If Hamilton scores 10 while being physical and playing solid defense it will be an improvement.
Don't be ridiculous. When was the last time a 4th liner for the Oilers scored 10 goals??? I looked into it...Kyle Brodziak had 11 goals in 2008-2009. Laraque had an 82 games played, 13 goal season in 2000-2001 (probably the year he had a hat-trick against LA).

So...try to be realistic. If a guy who plays 55 games, 8 minutes a game, 4 goals would be about right. Ryan Hamilton...will not score 10 goals. We should be giddy if Joensuu gets 10 goals playing 12 minutes a night.

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 08:32 PM
aleshemsky83

Ryan Jones:

Cons:
Couple steps too slow, can't pass, stick handle, ugly shot, doesn't hit, fight, overpaid,

Pros:
Nice guy

aleshemsky83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 08:37 PM
molsonmuscle360

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAF View Post
You gotta wonder how Katz feels about MacT throwing 1.5 million of his dollars away on this signing.
Probably about the same way you'd feel if your wife went out and spent $100 on a purse. Annoyed, but whatever, it's a drop in his bucket.

Old
09-25-2013, 08:52 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Quote:
If claimed, yes.

Agreed. Sometimes preseason isn't the best time or place for a guy like Jones to find his game. Refocusing in OKC should allow him to fill in the gaps in his game. Hamilton has beaten him for his spot, but it's only temporary.

Psycho Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 08:53 PM
shogun99

Quote:
Originally Posted by molsonmuscle360 View Post
Probably about the same way you'd feel if your wife went out and spent $100 on a purse. Annoyed, but whatever, it's a drop in his bucket.
When I look at it that way it makes me realize how much my life sucks.

shogun99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 09:00 PM
molsonmuscle360

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun99 View Post
When I look at it that way it makes me realize how much my life sucks.
And really, if Jones gets picked up on waivers, it's like your wife turning right around and selling the bag on Kijiji for the same price she bought it for Seriously though, rich people make me want to kick myself in the dick.

Old
09-25-2013, 09:09 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Fine with me! He's generally boring to watch.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 09:09 PM
Lay Z Boy GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness View Post
Are you basing this on something, or are you just making thin assumptions out of thin air?
I believe the guy that gave us a heads up on Jones getting demoted said that it was an emotional and tough night for the org. It had to have been rough on Jones.

As much as I like Jones this is a good move. Hopefully this lights a fire under the ***** of the Oilers, tough moves like this can do that sometimes.

Lay Z Boy GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 09:24 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lay Z Boy GM View Post
I believe the guy that gave us a heads up on Jones getting demoted said that it was an emotional and tough night for the org. It had to have been rough on Jones.

As much as I like Jones this is a good move. Hopefully this lights a fire under the ***** of the Oilers, tough moves like this can do that sometimes.
I really hope so too. I like him, and I think if he can find his game again, he can be an important player for us.

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 09:38 PM
molsonmuscle360

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness View Post
I really hope so too. I like him, and I think if he can find his game again, he can be an important player for us.
I hope he clears, but I just can't see it. He's a pretty decent 3rd liner on the bottom 5 or 6 teams in the league.

Old
09-25-2013, 11:02 PM
OILSLICK94

I have a feeling the Oilers are going to regret this move, I thought he had two solid games to begin the pre-season, and lately has been looking awful.....but really who are his linemates in the last few games? Lander and Pitlick, come on.......

He seemed to play well with Gordon in game 1, @ Calgary.

I thought he was a good character guy in the room, and he would of sticked as a SOLID 3rd liner or 4th liner, who could move up too the 2nd line for a week, if injuries hit, guess not.

When the Oil brought in Acton and Hamilton it was obvious they had they leg up for the last roster spots, Jones was not Eakins "boy"

OILSLICK94 is offline   Reply With Quote