Notices

NHL 14 & General Video Game Discussion Part Cinq

Closed Thread

Old
09-25-2013, 10:18 PM
FUBAR McDangles

vCash: 710

Happy sixth birthday, Halo 3.

So many great memories. Going through all my theatre moments saved on the game right now. So good. This game is awesome.

Old
09-26-2013, 06:04 AM
Foxlockbox
:laugh: is my period

vCash: 850
Its stupid that in Live the Life they punish you for simulating, why can't they just let the player play how he wants to? If I can't be arsed to play every single regular season game, why should I be punished for it if my player isn't underperforming? Dropped from 1st line to 3rd and predicted top 5 draft pick to 2nd rounder lol. That really doesn't bother me cos there is a wider range of possible teams to pick me, but its still kinda ridiculous.

Old
09-26-2013, 08:08 AM
Puhis
@Puhis46

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxlockbox View Post
Its stupid that in Live the Life they punish you for simulating, why can't they just let the player play how he wants to? If I can't be arsed to play every single regular season game, why should I be punished for it if my player isn't underperforming? Dropped from 1st line to 3rd and predicted top 5 draft pick to 2nd rounder lol. That really doesn't bother me cos there is a wider range of possible teams to pick me, but its still kinda ridiculous.
Say, PS3 or X360? Didn't quite catch it last time.

09-26-2013, 08:12 AM
StealthClobber
#humangousbig

vCash: 434
Quote:
This is the only good thing about LTL goalie. You get to choose how long the periods are, and you actually get more points on average from simming a game than you do by actually playing it.

Old
09-26-2013, 08:23 AM
Foxlockbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puhis View Post
Say, PS3 or X360? Didn't quite catch it last time.
Xbox.

Old
09-26-2013, 08:30 AM
Sharppi
Nothing to see here

vCash: 500
Quote:
When creating a Live the Life -game, you can take that Simulation Penalty off in the options.

Old
09-26-2013, 08:58 AM
Foxlockbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharppi View Post
When creating a Live the Life -game, you can take that Simulation Penalty off in the options.
Really? So I probably can't take it off either?

Old
09-26-2013, 09:00 AM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Quote:
Xbox.
Crap.

Old
09-26-2013, 09:49 AM
Sharppi
Nothing to see here

Quote:
Really? So I probably can't take it off either?
You have to change the setting when creating the Live The Life -game.

Old
09-26-2013, 12:47 PM
Foxlockbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharppi View Post
You have to change the setting when creating the Live The Life -game.
Argh, just got to the playoffs finally, but would probably still want to sim half of the reg season..

Old
09-28-2013, 08:29 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Finally got lucky and pulled something good from a card pack:

Old
09-28-2013, 09:14 PM
Engebretson
Another GopherClone

Congrats on the Gabby pull! Best I've gotten this year is Couture and Bergeron in the same weekend. Still haven't pulled a 90+...

Old
09-29-2013, 02:56 AM
Ladde

Like a passionate Wild fan you soon discarded him because he left us right?

Old
09-29-2013, 12:50 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

2nd season of Be a GM, trade deadline: I'm 40-20-2 with Wild after dropping in the 1st playoff round last year.

Current line-up, before deadline:

Parise - Koivu - Pominville
Marchand - Granlund - Coyle
Zucker - Brodziak - Fontaine
Cooke - McMillan - Hansen
Konopka

Suter - Brodin
Ballard - Spurgeon
Scandella - Blum
Prosser

Bäckström
Harding

1st hour: I'm looking for some D upgrade for the playoff run. Maybe a RHD on the 1st pairing. I happen to look at Toronto's line-up, to see if they have anything interesting and I stumble upon Morgan Rielly, who has quite low trade value (little more than Zucker).

So:

Morgan Rielly
2015 2nd

Jason Zucker
Haydn Fleury

I tried to get a 1st but they didn't accept.

At this point, I wanted a decent winger to replace Zucker, although I could've called up Niederreiter. I had good depth on D, but maybe one OFD too much with Spurgeon, Blum, Rielly and Prosser. Hmm, Eddy might have some wingers available. Oh look, Yakupov is already 85 overall and has really low trade value despite 4½ star (red) potential. Hmm.

Nail Yakupov

Jonathon Blum
2017 2nd

I think I'm ready for the playoff run.

EDIT: So, just noticed that Brodin jumped up from 80 OVR to 91 OVR during this season.

Last edited by Puhis: 09-29-2013 at 01:01 PM.
Old
09-29-2013, 11:02 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Glad someone made a video about this stuff...I'm not crazy!

I don't remember things like AI penalties/offsides and arbitrary calls on big hits being even close to this bad in years past. Honestly it feels like most of my games are decided by this stuff. Luckily they've engineered it so that they can relatively easily fix it post-release, if they choose to. In the meantime, it's going back on the shelf for a few weeks until there've been some patches. Ugh.

Old
09-30-2013, 08:46 AM
Engebretson
Another GopherClone

Got my lineup to where I want it now after this mega pack weekend in HUT.

Parise - Pavelski (A) - TOTW Backes
Wheeler (A) - Kesler - Pominville
Heatley - Koivu - TOTW Callahan
Foligno - Berglund - Okposo

Suter - Yandle (C)
McDonagh - Bogosian
Brodin (boosted to 86) - Carlson

Anderson
Bishop

Brodin is LD TWD in the game, so I'm going to try him out there to see how much more he rocks boosted. If Suter was properly listed as a TWD instead of a DFD, then I'd slap Brodin on the top pairing with no problems, but I wouldn't have perfect chemistry since TWD and DFD don't give you 99 chemistry. Incredibly stupid.

Other that that, no complaints as my team is really fun to play with. Backes hits like a tank and my 2nd line is just about as dangerous as my 1st line.

Old
09-30-2013, 09:59 AM
Ladde

Pavelski 1st line center instead of Kesler? Both are very good in the game but Kesler is better.

Old
09-30-2013, 10:41 AM
Engebretson
Another GopherClone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladde View Post
Pavelski 1st line center instead of Kesler? Both are very good in the game but Kesler is better.
Kesler is better at faceoffs, but I like to play with a more balanced lineup. This way, I have no problem putting my 2nd line in for a critical situation and Kesler is my extra attacker too. I can always switch them up, but I'll probably keep things like this for now unless my 1st line starts dragging.

On another note, I'm deciding 99 chemistry be damned! I'm moving Brodin over to RD, boosting him up to at least 91 OVR and pairing him with Suter. This will let me throw the "C" on another player too, maybe Pavelski and I can throw the "A" on someone else.

Old
09-30-2013, 02:33 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Unbelievable. It's been three and a half weeks now and my ethernet port still isn't working properly. Those ****ers at the IT Desk said it is working but when I go to sign into PSN it signs me in then signs me out a few minutes later and the only way to sign back in is to restart the system, but that just starts the whole process all over again.

Old
10-02-2013, 04:43 PM
Engebretson
Another GopherClone

RIP my PS3...

Yellow Light of Death, so it's pretty much a goner. My only option is to send it into Sony to fix it, but I am probably just going to buy a new Slim model. I've had that thing for 6 years and never had a problem until today...

Old
10-02-2013, 04:53 PM
Foxlockbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engebretson View Post
RIP my PS3...

Yellow Light of Death, so it's pretty much a goner. My only option is to send it into Sony to fix it, but I am probably just going to buy a new Slim model. I've had that thing for 6 years and never had a problem until today...
Or just wait for the PS4?

Old
10-02-2013, 05:01 PM
Engebretson
Another GopherClone

Quote:
Or just wait for the PS4?
Not sure if I want to get into that right away, if at all. I've noticed my interest in gaming has gone down year after year and I really only use the PS3 for Blu Rays and the NHL series with sporadic gaming in between.

Old
10-03-2013, 08:26 AM
Engebretson
Another GopherClone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engebretson View Post
RIP my PS3...

So, I gathered up a bunch of old Best Buy gift cards and bought a new Slim PS3 with the Uncharted 3 Game of the Year bundle. The fan runs dead silent on the Slim version, but the hard drive is kind of noisy when something is loading. It's also about half the size of my original PS3, which was an early model. My wife and my 2 year old really only use the PS3 for DVD's or Blu-Rays and I just use it to occasionally do some gaming or watch movies, so waiting until PS4 came out wasn't too appealing. I'd rather wait a few years for that anyway.

What sucks about losing my old PS3 is that it was backwards compatible with PS2 games. I was kind of hoping someday to replace it due to upgrade instead of failure and sell the PS3 to somebody looking for backwards compatibility. I'd offer it to somebody locally if they want to try to fix the "YLOD", but my NHL 14 game was also stuck in the drive and I had to take the Blu-Ray drive apart to get it. I'm pretty sure some screws are lost and the drive casing is kind of mangled, but could be salvaged by somebody with the proper time on their hands.

Old
10-03-2013, 08:48 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I've got such a huge backlog of free games from PS+...they just gave away Kingdoms of Amalur. Last week it was Ico. Still got Saints Row 3, Uncharted 3 (haven't played the first two), Bioshock 2, and about a dozen more. Great service.

Old
10-03-2013, 09:26 AM
Engebretson
Another GopherClone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I've got such a huge backlog of free games from PS+...they just gave away Kingdoms of Amalur. Last week it was Ico. Still got Saints Row 3, Uncharted 3 (haven't played the first two), Bioshock 2, and about a dozen more. Great service.
My new PS3 also comes with a 1 year subscription to Playstation Plus. If I actually had time to sit down and play more than 30 minutes a night, I might activate it.

Also, thanks for moving my PS3 talk into the video games thread Jarick. Not sure why I decided it belonged in General OT instead of the thread dedicated to video games.

Closed Thread