HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Zack Kassian

Old
09-25-2013, 05:22 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryp37 View Post
Kassians trainer says he's in the best shape ever coming into this season and Torts says it's just okay...may want to find someone new to train with in the off-season Kass
That's because he's a big guy and only 22 years old. He is in the best shape of his life, but he's still at least 5-6 years away from what should be close to his physical peak.

Players generally improve their strength and conditioning each year. The Sedins just set the bar for the team and they're going on 33...

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 05:26 PM
StringerBell

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
Kreider? Kristo? Someone like Boyle +?
I have no interest in trading Kassian, I'm just trying to outline the type of deal that would best suit the Canucks needs outside the classic "package for an upgrade". I guess Kreider fits the bill best for NYR, but I wouldn't make that trade, especially with Torts here coaching.

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 07:20 PM
apadilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenbergg View Post
Id like him on the Flyers 3rd line with Couturier and Read. What would you want from philly?
simmonds?

apadilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 08:46 PM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
So those suspensions didn't happen and the arrest?

Or wait, are you assuming his short tenure with the Canucks trumps the time I saw him play for the Petes & in Windsor for a few years?

Tell me more.

You're jumping to conclusions like your fellow Nucks brethren that assumed I was an Oilers fan for whatever reason without doing any research. Some of us know what we are talking about, I have SEEN the guy play, I agree that when he was in Juniors, I could see the potential, but sometimes potential does not translate and from what I have seen of him in Portland & Buffalo and of course, the Canucks because some of us do love hockey and order a NHL package to watch the freaking sport, he's still living off of that potential he had in his draft year, Buffalo got wise to the facts and dumped him while people still believed in that potential and got back a damn solid player in that return.

Sometimes you win a few trades, sometimes you don't.

This one looks like a no. As for the Bertuzzi comparisons, even Bert showed more consistent flashes with the Islanders, he almost scored 20 goals in his freaking rookie year, Zack can barely muster 10 goals while playing with pretty decent talent because of his high draft status, but yeah with Bert I bet it's something I am guessing you never saw because the East doesn't matter to you Western Conference folks...am I doing that assuming thing right in this situation?

I'm not attacking you or your fan base, unlike that one fellow with his insanely off base Mario Lemieux comments, of whom by the way was never a saint, he had his moments where he pissed off us Pens fans too with his love for a country club type of atmosphere, but people grow up and change. Some do anyways.
I'm not making any assumptions, its just easy to tell you haven't seen him play in a long long time, with the way you are off, and it seems clear your standpoint is anti-kassian from the beginning, without any objectivity.

You can clearly see the potential from watching him play, I had never followed him at all till he came to VAN, and my initial reaction was that I very unhappy with the trade, but you could see very quickly his skills and the potential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin8se7en View Post
Lol show me this immense skill that makes him a 1st line talent then. No one has ever been able to do that before. It's kind of funny actually. Everything has to do with him beign big and apparently having this "skill" that he never seems to actually show off ever. Well, except in a shootout I guess.. but that's not really all that impressive.
Epic fail my friend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciVzPGf4xLQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNEgub5DRf0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDKnf0RvWL0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMBKAj-qiNY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzPsLVewoTw

Quote:
In his draft year, Here is the list of things said about him:
*A combo of meanness and skill in his power forward game
*The CHL player with the highest PIM per game
*At 6ft3, 210lbs he is built like a classic Power Forward and has Strength
*He's made an impact delivering thunderous checks
*Ability to score, battle and contribute defensively

That sounds EXACTLY like what I think of him. What a surprise!
THe guy is going to net a few goals just being in front of the net (Holmstrom-style) but don't act like he's a skilled top 6 winger with size. He's a winger with size in the top 6, that is all.

I wasn't actually able to find anything of him being well above average in that department like Nucks fans seem to claim.
He has skill, smarts and speed. The ability & potential is obvious. His issues are consistency.

If you, HOG, or anyone else can't see that, then your a terrible judge of talent.

Quote:
1. That sounds about right... ignore anything that ins't in agreement with your opinion and claim that it's false, with zero evidence.
2. Since when does TSN not follow Vancouver? lmao... that is possibly the weakest argument i've ever hard on here.
1. Or I would rather not waste my time going through all the points in all of his posts, when there isn't even a smidgen of objectivity there to begin with.

2. I didn't say they didn't follow Vancouver, I just said they don't see to know what they are talking about when it comes to us, sure they know the main storylines which is why everything TSN talks about Vancouver the topic is pretty much either Luongo or Torts, they just don't know a whole lot about anything else going on.

Sergei Shirokov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 08:51 PM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerSVT View Post
Ding ding ding, we could argue all day long about Kassians skills, how great his hands are and his playmaking abilities. But at the end of the day, he has the Hockey IQ of a brick, he always has. He takes stupid penalties and is generally a pretty dumb player out there.

Sure he could turn into Lucic, but most likely he will turn into a more skilled Ben Eager. Not that that is terrible, its just that Gillis gave up Hodgson for him.

I honestly believe if Kassian had been acquired for a 3rd round pick or something, Vancouver fans would be less homerish towards him, but because they already got fleeced, they try to make it sound like Kassian is going to turn into something special.

Dunno, just my .02, i have never been impressed by him, in the AHL last year and in the NHL, everytime i see him he makes a stupid play or loses the puck. Sure he can fight and be a good because he is large, but his Hockey IQ is abysmal.
You keep thinking that.

Quote:
I'd love him on the Rangers. What would it cost?
We would probably want a young player around similar development, in terms of being young with potential, but already being an NHL caliber player.

I would rather hold on to Kass though myself.

Sergei Shirokov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 10:21 PM
Roof Daddy

Value as of today? Probably a B+ type prospect and pick.

Value after Mac tunes him in? Raitis Ivanans.

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 11:08 PM
Honour Over Glory

Last season as a long long time ago?

Well, god damn.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 11:39 PM
Betamax*
YOU MAD, BRO?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sweetness View Post
I'm sure it will be hard to get an accurate read but I'd appreciate input on what people think is fair value for Zach Kassian as well as guesses on how good he will be in the next few years.

Thanks for the input.
I don't think there really is a "fair" value right now that GMMG would be willing to trade Kassian anytime soon as a lot of his reputation is at stake on whether Kassian realizes his potential or not. So the Canucks are going to do everything in their power to try to extract the potential and develop Kassian into the player they hope he will become.

GMMG' 1st ever draft pick, Cody Hodgson was traded away for him (reportedly due to off-ice issues between his representatives and the team when it came to ice time and health diagnosis etc..). Right now seems to be positioned to be a cornerstone player for the Sabres and potential future Captain while Kassian is touch and go whether he will ever become a semi-consistent NHL foward let alone the rare power forward that the Canucks hoped they could develop when they made the trade for him.

Betamax* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 12:56 AM
mstad101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post

Ask Eager how fighting Kassian is. #MeatHands

mstad101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 10:39 AM
TylerSVT*

Quote:
Originally Posted by apadilla View Post
simmonds?
Maybe if Vancouver adds a first, even then that is poor value for Simmonds.

TylerSVT* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 10:45 AM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstad101 View Post
Ask Eager how fighting Kassian is. #MeatHands
And Mac would tune Eager like a cheap garage sale guitar.

Doesn't mean anything.

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 10:59 AM
Ched Brosky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrican View Post
And Mac would tune Eager like a cheap garage sale guitar.

Doesn't mean anything.
Only Canuck that would fight Mac is sestito so I don't see why Mac even matters. Mac is like Laraque. No one will fight him they just skate away around him.

Ched Brosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 11:00 AM
LPH
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
Quote:
Forward or defense?
Forward. We have out top 4 defenders locked up (Hamhuis, Garrison, Bieksa, Edler), Tanev and Corrado as our younger guys and a few in the pipeline as well. Zero need for defenders right now

LPH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 11:02 AM
LPH
[hello] :)

Quote:

Why would Kassian even fight him? He will likely be playing in the top 6. It will probably be Sestito

LPH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 11:08 AM
Sleight Of Hand
Mean Streets

It seems weird that the Canucks crown him on the first line for some reason. Above Bickell was noted. He was a third liner (and will be there some this year too) but he was a healthy scratch with little expectation before last year. If they would lay off the pressure he may end up being decent. but putting him in a role where his only way is down is not going to help his development. Put him on the 3/4 line where he belongs and if he comes along then promote him. Flashes of brilliance, as was stated before, is not what you put on the top line.

Sleight Of Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 12:02 PM
Intense Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flapjacks View Post
It seems weird that the Canucks crown him on the first line for some reason. Above Bickell was noted. He was a third liner (and will be there some this year too) but he was a healthy scratch with little expectation before last year. If they would lay off the pressure he may end up being decent. but putting him in a role where his only way is down is not going to help his development. Put him on the 3/4 line where he belongs and if he comes along then promote him. Flashes of brilliance, as was stated before, is not what you put on the top line.
I agree completely. He needs to prove he is better than both Burrows and Hansen to play in the top 6.

Intense Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 12:11 PM
TOML

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ched Brosky View Post
Only Canuck that would fight Mac is sestito so I don't see why Mac even matters. Mac is like Laraque. No one will fight him they just skate away around him.
I suppose Mac will suddenly grab a Sedin off a draw, leading to Sedin whacking his knees with his stick and him getting a 10-game suspension for vicious slashing.

But that's where Kassian is supposed to come to the rescue.

TOML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 01:17 PM
booger

M. Michalek for Kassian?

booger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 02:50 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryp37 View Post
Kassians trainer says he's in the best shape ever coming into this season and Torts says it's just okay...may want to find someone new to train with in the off-season Kass
Gilman said his conditioning was pretty good shortly after Torts questioned it.

Ho Borvat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 02:52 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:

Yeah because I am sure Kassian is going to fight Macintyre

Old
09-26-2013, 02:54 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOML View Post
I suppose Mac will suddenly grab a Sedin off a draw, leading to Sedin whacking his knees with his stick and him getting a 10-game suspension for vicious slashing.

But that's where Kassian is supposed to come to the rescue.
I would hope Sestito would jump off the bench. Not because I want to see Sestito fight Macintyre, but because Sestito missing 10 games would be the best thing that could happen to this team

Old
09-26-2013, 05:58 PM
tuckrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenbergg View Post
Id like him on the Flyers 3rd line with Couturier and Read. What would you want from philly?
I 2nd this.

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 06:50 PM
Bankerguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseradish View Post
Your facts are ridiculous:

Skates quite well?? Compared to who? He got suspended because he couldn't figure out how to stop using his skates and flailed carelessly into the boards, limbs flying everywhere. He's a gorilla on skates, not Kurt frickin' Browning.

Sweet hands? Where? When he's bigger and more physically developed than all of his opponents like in junior? Sure. NHL? He can't put up close to 20 even playing a good chunk of the season with pure skill!

Hits hard? Yeah, if he can ever learn how to get within 3 feet of a decent player. Who cares if he can lay the body on marginal 4th liners.

Fights well? I don't necessarily want to disagree, but I also think that if he was a righty, he would've never KO'd anybody. Being a lefty and a relative unknown, especially in the west, gave him an advantage that I don't think he has anymore. Definitely has power but his KOs on Eager and Sestito were more out of surprise than power, IMO.
buddy you are so out to lunch.... Kassian does have pretty sweet hands. He DOES skate well for a big man... he's got good straight speed compared to other guys his size.Ive been watching hockey for close to 25 years (and not just Canucks hockey, I lived in Boston for 12 years prior) and you wouldn't assume a player his size would move as quickly as he does. You need to watch him play. Instead of hating on random posts on HF, try forming your own opinions based on facts.

What does being a lefty or righty have to do with anything?????
Your comment on him only being a good fighter because he's a lefty is foolish. At the end of the day, he's pretty good fighter and will definitely ko guys during his career ..who cares if he does it with his left or right fist LOL

he's only 22 and hasn't had a full NHL season..
Will he bust and become AHLer for life....possible, maybe 4th line fighter, maybe a third line crash and banger, maybe a top 6 Power Forward....
who knows...but at this point he still has potential for a top6 role, looking at everything you have to say that he does have some decent value. If 2 years pass and he's still trying to secure a full-time NHL job then his value would be very little if anything.

Bankerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 08:53 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by apadilla View Post
simmonds?
Lol, keep trying. He can only hope to ever be as good as Simmonds is right now and Wayne is still getting better.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2014, 01:28 PM
Kass Effect

Bump. He's been playing good for a while now. Still inconsistent, but trending in the right direction in every aspect. With the puck, without it... much improved. No more Steve Bernier comparisons for him. He has become a very slick passer, maybe best on the team after the twins. He's gotten faster and is using his speed more and more. Also 5th in the league in PIMs. Is developing very nicely this year, he is practically untouchable now.

Kass Effect is offline   Reply With Quote