HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Should he stay or should he go? (Meszaros or Grossmann)

Old
09-25-2013, 03:25 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
His 500+ games come BEFORE his string of major injuries. It's also worth noting that even before those injuries he was widely considered to be overpaid cap wise. So we've got one good season against weaker competition in Philly where it can be argued he earned his cap hit. Other than that, there is really nothing.
Yes they were before the injuries. That doesn't make them irrelevant. Injuries, even serious ones, don't mean a guy can never return to form. Especially a relatively young guy. It isn't like this is Timonen pushing 40 and getting hurt. This is a 27 year old getting hurt. I'm not sure why his playing poorly in 11/42 games last year before being hurt again would lead you to believe that he cannot return to his form of two years ago. Other than the fact that he played poorly in those 11 games...which again goes to my argument of why look at 11 games battling from an injury as the proof he won't' return to form. If he played the full year and sucked, ok. Then I'd understand your argument. But 11 games is not a sample size that I am comfortable with.

Quote:
The guy simply isn't worth 4 million a year. Especially on a team that needs cap space and is already spending an absurd amount of money on a defense that can best be described as average.

He might not be finished, but he's also not worth his cap hit.
And that is fine. I have no problem agreeing with you there. Mez is definitely, 100%, not worth his cap hit. But, and here goes that argument again, if he is healthy and he fits under the cap, he's better than what else we have. If moves have to be made to get Mez under the cap, then that is an issue. I don't really know the cap-crunching numbers right now, but my understanding is that once Pronger is on LTIR, the team is fine. If that is incorrect, ok, then my point may have to be rethought. But as of right now, it is my understanding that the team will be cap compliant with Mez on it.

That being said, as I have all along, Mez should be traded for the reasons discussed ad nauseum in prior (this?) threads.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 03:33 PM
KaraLupin
카라

vCash: 500
Mez is better than Grossmann, just the cap is a problem. Can we resign him to a better deal soon? =)

KaraLupin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 12:13 AM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

vCash: 50
Meszaros and Streit both have faired poorly against better opposition. both players when they were healthy were given "easy" minutes. I dont have a ton of faith defensively in either player.
Gus has struggled this preseason so far, but I am not ready to give up on the guy based on a small sample size this season. He has shown he can play and play well at times when given the chance. like any young player he is going to have his ups and downs. It goes back to that patience thing. Can we be patient with the guy? I think the organization and the fanbase is going to have to be.
We dont know what Gus is yet. Too small of a sample size. players like Meszaros and Gervais we know what they are.
The only 2 defenseman I trust right now are Timonen and Schenn.

GoneFullHolmgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 12:27 PM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraLupin View Post
Mez is better than Grossmann, just the cap is a problem. Can we resign him to a better deal soon? =)
I disagree, I see Grossman protecting the net and not getting caught standing still while Mez gets caught and can't even handle an attacker behind the net.
I say dump Mez for some pics and next year Homer signs Cody Franzon who is a UFA.

Last edited by FlyersFanz: 09-26-2013 at 01:12 PM.
FlyersFanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 01:13 PM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

Grossmann played great the other night. He really is great at what he does, hes better than Coburn, just not as mobile...

Give Mesz some time. Gustafsson clearly isnt better than him and Id rather play Mesz.

SchennSational1022* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 01:21 PM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenbergg View Post
Grossmann played great the other night. He really is great at what he does, hes better than Coburn, just not as mobile...

Give Mesz some time. Gustafsson clearly isnt better than him and Id rather play Mesz.
Don't understand why the Flyers stick with Gus, I like the skill and speed of Bourdon much better plus Bourdon uses his body.

Old
09-26-2013, 01:28 PM
TheShaneTrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFanz View Post
Don't understand why the Flyers stick with Gus, I like the skill and speed of Bourdon much better plus Bourdon uses his body.
well, so do I. however, there's that whole pcs issue...the next shot bourdon takes to the head may very well be the last

TheShaneTrain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 01:31 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFanz View Post

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-phil...bcs&ocid=yahoo

09-26-2013, 02:41 PM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Damn, that's too bad. Guess he will be sitting in the box with Pronger.

Old
09-26-2013, 02:52 PM
Hiesenberg

vCash: 491
Why is he on the roster if he could be on the AHL roster, it'll free up all of his money and they don't have to LTIR him. This is just a dumb decision.

Hiesenberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 03:02 PM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
Why is he on the roster if he could be on the AHL roster, it'll free up all of his money and they don't have to LTIR him. This is just a dumb decision.
I always thought he was on the AHL roster unless he was called up.
Unless he was hurt while playing with the Flyers than supersedes the AHL.

Old
09-26-2013, 03:50 PM
04' hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraLupin View Post
Mez is better than Grossmann
when he WANTS to play

04' hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 04:06 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04' hockey View Post
when he WANTS to play
Are you implying he is taking games off when he is fully healthy? I have never seen that questioned about Mez, and when he is healthy, he shows up to every game. There was never a question of work ethic with him, just if he can stay healthy. He rushed back from two major injuries to get back on the ice for this team, I don't think he is the type to take off games.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 05:56 PM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

Bourdon and Lauridsen are the two most overrated players on our board, I don't get the love for these two . It really sucks what happened ot Bourdon and you obviously hope he gets better but losing him doesn't hurt this team on the ice, like at all...

SchennSational1022* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 01:48 PM
04' hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Are you implying he is taking games off when he is fully healthy? I have never seen that questioned about Mez, and when he is healthy, he shows up to every game. There was never a question of work ethic with him, just if he can stay healthy. He rushed back from two major injuries to get back on the ice for this team, I don't think he is the type to take off games.
you have your opinion, I have mine

04' hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 10:49 PM
KaraLupin
카라

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04' hockey View Post
when he WANTS to play
He's coming off injury and it's just pre-season. I would like to think he is easing himself back in. Let's wait for him to play a few regular season games before we judge. Before injury, he was a good puck mover (something we will need) and not as much of a liability as we've seen recently.

KaraLupin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 10:44 AM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenbergg View Post
Bourdon and Lauridsen are the two most overrated players on our board, I don't get the love for these two . It really sucks what happened ot Bourdon and you obviously hope he gets better but losing him doesn't hurt this team on the ice, like at all...
More overrated than Gus? Don't think so.