HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Team toughness

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-09-2013, 12:40 PM
  #126
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,184
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Theres no reason why the Rangers shouldn't be able to develop players like Boychuck, Campbell, Thornton, and McQuaid. Those guys are tough, but I don't find them to be particularly special hockey players.

And for such a big guy, I don't find Chara particularly tough.
I agree with the first part. It blows my mind that the Rangers can not develop a Gregory Campbell-like player who excels at PKing and will drop the gloves if need be. Same with Thornton (different description but same premise).

Maybe not so much now, but Chara was a very feared fighter in his prime and early in his career.

NYR Viper is online now  
Old
09-09-2013, 12:40 PM
  #127
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls
 
Brian Boyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,729
vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Theres no reason why the Rangers shouldn't be able to develop players like Boychuck, Campbell, Thornton, and McQuaid. Those guys are tough, but I don't find them to be particularly special hockey players.

And for such a big guy, I don't find Chara particularly tough.
He's definitely cooled on his physical play as he's gotten older.

But I hate that qualifier. If Chara is physical, he's physical. The fact that he's a giant is of no significance.

__________________
Rangers Unlimited
Hockey Graphs
Brian Boyle is online now  
Old
09-11-2013, 03:41 PM
  #128
PIM
Registered User
 
PIM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 173
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
He's definitely cooled on his physical play as he's gotten older.

But I hate that qualifier. If Chara is physical, he's physical. The fact that he's a giant is of no significance.

PIM is offline  
Old
09-26-2013, 09:36 PM
  #129
surf
Wheres the Reggae?
 
surf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: sea bright nj
Country: United States
Posts: 1,382
vCash: 500
Nothing to do with tonights game but this team is grossly soft..If Mashinter isn't in with Dorestt on a nightly basis we will get run out of the rink most nights..Most of you wanted this so I hope you enjoy it..This line up is sickening

surf is offline  
Old
09-26-2013, 10:03 PM
  #130
Vitto79
Registered User
 
Vitto79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,396
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by surf View Post
Nothing to do with tonights game but this team is grossly soft..If Mashinter isn't in with Dorestt on a nightly basis we will get run out of the rink most nights..Most of you wanted this so I hope you enjoy it..This line up is sickening
eeeeek relax. I also don't want to hear dump Asham although I do think they are going to well dump Asham,lol..................he would be a good 4th liner to muck things up too. Mashinter would be as an AHL call up in my opinion.

Powe needs to just go down to clear space

Vitto79 is offline  
Old
09-26-2013, 10:31 PM
  #131
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart
 
Kel Varnsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,102
vCash: 500
Torts covered up a lot of the deficiencies this roster had/has. We're going to see all the warts this year.

Kel Varnsen is offline  
Old
09-26-2013, 10:34 PM
  #132
Punxrocknyc19*
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10,233
vCash: 500
some fans want scoring and a soft lineup.. i hope you are happy... i wish the Rangers can draft their own Milan Lucic, David Backes, Chris Neil type player...

Punxrocknyc19* is offline  
Old
09-26-2013, 10:37 PM
  #133
surf
Wheres the Reggae?
 
surf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: sea bright nj
Country: United States
Posts: 1,382
vCash: 500
Give me a break people are falling all over Pouliette in the game thread...Another soft as tissue player who wont make it through the year..

surf is offline  
Old
09-26-2013, 10:38 PM
  #134
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart
 
Kel Varnsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,102
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
some fans want scoring and a soft lineup.. i hope you are happy... i wish the Rangers can draft their own Milan Lucic, David Backes, Chris Neil type player...
No, no, no. Don't you know we should draft all really small players after the first round? Boom/bust because that's how real life works. There's never been a middling small player and there's never been a boom or bust big player.

Kel Varnsen is offline  
Old
09-26-2013, 10:47 PM
  #135
surf
Wheres the Reggae?
 
surf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: sea bright nj
Country: United States
Posts: 1,382
vCash: 500
I never thought I'd see Slats put out such a soft team

surf is offline  
Old
09-26-2013, 10:54 PM
  #136
M Gaz
Au revoir Shosanna!
 
M Gaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 1,726
vCash: 50
Dorsett won't last the season if the lineup looks like this. Haley and Mashinter need to be called up at some point.

M Gaz is offline  
Old
09-26-2013, 10:57 PM
  #137
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart
 
Kel Varnsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,102
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Gaz View Post
Dorsett won't last the season if the lineup looks like this. Haley and Mashinter need to be called up at some point.
The problem is team toughness, individuals can't carry the load.

Kel Varnsen is offline  
Old
09-26-2013, 10:59 PM
  #138
M Gaz
Au revoir Shosanna!
 
M Gaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 1,726
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
The problem is team toughness, individuals can't carry the load.
When it's eventually time to rebuild, we need to do what the Bruins have done with their team. I am so jealous of their toughness.

M Gaz is offline  
Old
09-26-2013, 10:59 PM
  #139
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart
 
Kel Varnsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,102
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Gaz View Post
When it's eventually time to rebuild, we need to do what the Bruins have done with their team. I am so jealous of their toughness.
We were on that track. Then we blew it up for Nash.

Kel Varnsen is offline  
Old
09-26-2013, 11:01 PM
  #140
PIM
Registered User
 
PIM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 173
vCash: 500
Here's the deal from where I'm sitting. We don't have the skill/talent level throughout our lineup to be an offensive team. We were great in 11-12, not because of skill or talent, but because of work ethic, toughness and a team concept. That is the last time we'll be an elite team for a while, until we win some draft lotteries or make the right trades. Lundqvist is elite in close, he can make saves no one has any business making, but he can't stop routine wrist shots from the circle. Without 5 warriors in front of him to take those bullets, he doesn't have the numbers he's had. We're in for a rude awakening. The Rick Nash trade was the beginning of the end. I'll be right here with you as a Rangers fan, but we're going to be suffering for a while, and the 11-12 Torts team is going to be the stuff of legend. And I firmly believe that we were one Sean Avery away from going to the finals in 11-12, and we would've jacked the Kings up, but I digress a little.

PIM is offline  
Old
09-26-2013, 11:02 PM
  #141
M Gaz
Au revoir Shosanna!
 
M Gaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 1,726
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
We were on that track. Then we blew it up for Nash.
Yeah :/ hopefully McIlrath and Noreau have a future with this team. They could be hell on opposing players around the net.

M Gaz is offline  
Old
09-26-2013, 11:25 PM
  #142
Mikos87
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 1,729
vCash: 500
This team is going to get pushed around... not enough push back. Expecting to lose a lot of games against Atlantic division teams.

Mikos87 is offline  
Old
09-27-2013, 12:20 PM
  #143
Pastafazul*
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by surf View Post
Nothing to do with tonights game but this team is grossly soft..If Mashinter isn't in with Dorestt on a nightly basis we will get run out of the rink most nights..Most of you wanted this so I hope you enjoy it..This line up is sickening

its gonna be a LONG YEAR!! bcareful of your choice of words, "sickeneing" cause you mite find your posts deleted as i found mine was when i said this team was a disgrace, and that was b4 last nite debacle.....


this team has NO identity... and don't give me 'its preseason

Pastafazul* is offline  
Old
09-27-2013, 12:35 PM
  #144
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence
 
KreiMeARiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UES
Posts: 6,588
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
We were on that track. Then we blew it up for Nash.
We really did. Such a shame. We never learn from our mistakes. That team had so much chemistry.

All of that is gone. This team is a disaster.

KreiMeARiver is online now  
Old
09-27-2013, 12:47 PM
  #145
TankLarkin
Registered User
 
TankLarkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 519
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by surf View Post
Nothing to do with tonights game but this team is grossly soft..If Mashinter isn't in with Dorestt on a nightly basis we will get run out of the rink most nights..Most of you wanted this so I hope you enjoy it..This line up is sickening
Two years ago when we almost won the President's Trophy our team toughness was not in question. I don't think that's a coincidence. If this preseason is any indication we're gonna have trouble with the bigger, tougher clubs.


Last edited by TankLarkin: 09-27-2013 at 12:55 PM.
TankLarkin is offline  
Old
09-27-2013, 12:54 PM
  #146
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,184
vCash: 500
It is no secret that I am not happy with the lack of players who can swing momentum or create energy on this team. I have beaten that point to a pulp at this point. All we can do is wait and see what happens.

The good news, is that the new Metropolitan Divison doesn't seem to have as much toughness as they used to just a few years ago.

NYR Viper is online now  
Old
09-27-2013, 01:31 PM
  #147
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,353
vCash: 500
If we had a lethal pwp that might address some of the problems with our lack of tough players. Unfortunately that's not the case. Saying that I'm not sure how great an issue it's going to become. It became an issue a few years back when Gaborik got mugged. Personally I don't think we're tough enough either but that's not going to be a difference maker all of the time. Anyway the year Gaborik got mugged was the year that Sather brought in Prust and Shelley at the trade deadline. The Rangers then were more than tough enough and made a run for the final playoff spot in which with they were knocked out by the Flyers in OT in the final game of the year--so one could argue that the Rangers weren't tough enough that year.

The problem is not as easy to solve though as some people make out. As we're seeing in training camp--McIlrath is not ready. Whoever does this kind of grunt work has to be able to skate and to play. Just gooning it up is not good enough anymore. You're just shortening your bench when you dress guys who can only do just that one thing.

eco's bones is online now  
Old
09-27-2013, 01:39 PM
  #148
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,184
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
If we had a lethal pwp that might address some of the problems with our lack of tough players. Unfortunately that's not the case. Saying that I'm not sure how great an issue it's going to become. It became an issue a few years back when Gaborik got mugged. Personally I don't think we're tough enough either but that's not going to be a difference maker all of the time. Anyway the year Gaborik got mugged was the year that Sather brought in Prust and Shelley at the trade deadline. The Rangers then were more than tough enough and made a run for the final playoff spot in which with they were knocked out by the Flyers in OT in the final game of the year--so one could argue that the Rangers weren't tough enough that year.

The problem is not as easy to solve though as some people make out. As we're seeing in training camp--McIlrath is not ready. Whoever does this kind of grunt work has to be able to skate and to play. Just gooning it up is not good enough anymore. You're just shortening your bench when you dress guys who can only do just that one thing.
Exactly true. But it is very important to find guys who can multiple things. Unfortunately, on the open market, they are being WAY overpaid right now so that means you either have to a) develop your own or b) trade for them.

NYR Viper is online now  
Old
09-27-2013, 01:45 PM
  #149
blueshirtbolt
Registered User
 
blueshirtbolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 154
vCash: 500
think we could trade Del Zotto to the leafs for McLaren?

blueshirtbolt is offline  
Old
09-27-2013, 01:50 PM
  #150
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,184
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshirtbolt View Post
think we could trade Del Zotto to the leafs for McLaren?
How about no, Scott, m'kay?

NYR Viper is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:16 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.