HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So Jets are down to 27 players, and need to be 23.

Old
09-25-2013, 10:04 PM
StronGeer
Nvr tell me the odds

vCash: 1337
Quote:
Originally Posted by gholas View Post
If that happens we can all chip in and get the Jets locker room a bouncy castle.
And swap out Mick E Moose for Bozo the Clown.

StronGeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 10:13 PM
JetsTrueNorth

vCash: 500
The Oilers put Ryan Jones on waivers today. I wonder if we'd take a look at him. I'd say an upgrade over both Wright and Tangradi

JetsTrueNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 10:17 PM
StronGeer
Nvr tell me the odds

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsTrueNorth View Post
The Oilers put Ryan Jones on waivers today. I wonder if we'd take a look at him. I'd say an upgrade over both Wright and Tangradi
Has more hat tricks in the last two seasons than all Jets combined...

Old
09-25-2013, 10:23 PM
gholas
UnRegistered UnUser

vCash: 50
By reading the Oilers board, he was their Ron Hainsy. Hurricanes have dibs.

gholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 10:34 PM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsTrueNorth View Post
Not sure if I agree, he hasn't been the same since his eye injury last year and was downright terrible for the Oilers in training camp. We already have a similar player in Halischuk so I don't see a reason to take a chance on him, especially at $1.5 million.

surixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 10:44 PM
allan5oh
Has prospect fever

vCash: 82
From the other thread:

Quote:
following are locks(9):

Ladd - Little - Wheeler
Kane - Jokinen - Setoguchi
x - Scheifele - Frolik
x - Slater - x

Competing for a spot (6) with room for 4: Halischuk, Wright, Peluso, Thorburn, Tangradi, Cormier

D locks (6):
Enstrom - Buff
Clitsome - Bogosian
Stuart - Postma

Competing for a spot (3) with room for 2: Redmond, Trouba, Pardy

Bold means non-exempt from waivers for non-locks, good chance we lose someone this year. Italics means two-way. The only person that has either a two-way or is waiver exempt that is a lock is Scheifele IMO.

Pasquale will be sent down eventually. He has one year of waiver-free status left.

I would not be surprised if Chevy makes a waiver claim at some point.
I also think we could be manipulating the IR at some point. Bogosian seems hurt. We're at 26 and need to send down 3. It's next year that the waiver crunch happens.

allan5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 11:02 PM
StronGeer
Nvr tell me the odds

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
From the other thread:

I also think we could be manipulating the IR at some point. Bogosian seems hurt. We're at 26 and need to send down 3. It's next year that the waiver crunch happens.
Bogo is "Day-to-day". I don't think he'll be banged up for long.

Old
09-26-2013, 06:43 AM
redstar15

I personally think they will send down:

Pasquale
Cormier
Redmond
Peluso

They aren't going to risk putting a player (pardy) on waivers when they have Redmond on a two way.

They leave trouba up and start the season with 8 D.... Trouba wont stick around because he is not NHL ready.

redstar15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 07:01 AM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1338
Quote:
Originally Posted by redstar15 View Post
I personally think they will send down:

Pasquale
Cormier
Redmond
Peluso

They aren't going to risk putting a player (pardy) on waivers when they have Redmond on a two way.

They leave trouba up and start the season with 8 D.... Trouba wont stick around because he is not NHL ready.
I can't see Peluso being sent down. He would likely be picked up in a flash and be gone from the organization. He is young, cheap and holding his own as a 4th liner, not to mention he is one of the best fighters in the league. The Jets are still a team that tends to play a little soft at times and I don't think Chevy will want to lose Peluso his toughest player. IMO the Jets invested in him in the off-season and will stick with that.

Thorburn on the other hand is likely waiver proof. Not in a Joker way but it is unlikely anyone would pick him up IMO.

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 07:29 AM
DominikPavelec

I don't know who will be sent down but I know I'd like to see Thorburn sent down. Cormier is younger, and likely has more of an offensive game. Thorburn has lost his usefulness with the emergence of Peluso. It would be a better move to let Cormier have a chance to prove himself than have Thorburn clog up a roster spot.

DominikPavelec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 08:43 AM
Huffer

vCash: 141
Any chance Tangradi starts the year on IR? That doesn't count against the 23 does it?

Ladd - Little - Wheeler
Kane - Scheifele - Setoguchi
Halischuk -Jokinin - Frolik
Wright - Slater - Thorburn
Cormier / Peluso (Plays against Edmonton game 2)
IR:Tangradi

Enstrom - Bogo
Clitsome - Buff
Stuart - Trouba
Postma

Pavs
Monty

=23

Rock: Redmond,(get minutes and not waiver eligible), Pardy (Vet presence and local boy)

After a couple of games and once Tangradi is ready to leave the IR the Jets can decide which one of Cormier, Thorburn, or Peluso comes off the roster. I don't know if any of them need to get put on waivers, as there is a possibility that a team may want one of them.

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 08:50 AM
Jetsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicGingy View Post
The vast majority of the team doesn't even play with Thorburn, who also doesn't bring much of anything to the team. He's supposed to be our fighter, yet he pretty much never wins. People overrate his locker room presence. It's not as if the team would fall apart and everybody would have no chemistry because he isn't there.

Peluso isn't really any worse than Thorburn, is cheaper, younger, and a better fighter. And based on his actions when Redmond got his leg cut, I'd say he's well liked in the locker room.
Exactly right. Anybody notice how much room Peluso gets out there? Better yet, he has some actual hands. As much as I liked Thorburn, his time is up. Nothing helps team confidence better than having a fighter who never loses (Peluso) and conversely, Thorbs seems to win only 1/4 of his scraps at best.

Jetsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 09:00 AM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetsman View Post
Exactly right. Anybody notice how much room Peluso gets out there? Better yet, he has some actual hands. As much as I liked Thorburn, his time is up. Nothing helps team confidence better than having a fighter who never loses (Peluso) and conversely, Thorbs seems to win only 1/4 of his scraps at best.
Has nobody else notice the 3 or 4 passes that Tony has sent to absolutely nobody?

Kid hasn't looked horrible, but he hasn't been mistake free in his game by any means.

truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 09:11 AM
Jetsman

Agreed. By no means is he the second coming of John Ferguson (20-30 goals a year while riding shotgun for those cup wining Montreal Teams), but the puck does seem to end up more in the other teams net when he's out there.

Old
09-26-2013, 10:08 AM
Huffer

vCash: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
Has nobody else notice the 3 or 4 passes that Tony has sent to absolutely nobody?

Kid hasn't looked horrible, but he hasn't been mistake free in his game by any means.
Agreed. I don't think Peluso has looked great in the pre-season, and he definitely gaffed against the Oilers which lead to a goal. I think he's been just ok.

But I think Peluso also needs to be looked at in perspective. He's only played 5 NHL games in his career. He's played half as many games in the NHL as Scheifele (and actually has 2 points to Scheifele's 1, but that's neither here nor there).

I don't know about others thoughts, but I am willing and hoping the Jets give Peluso a decent shot to see what he can do in the NHL because:

A) He does only have 5 NHL games of experience, so I'd like to see what he can do once he has more.

B) He brings an impressive set of tools for his role. As much as there is a camp that doesn't want to have a "tough guy", I believe that there is only no room on a roster for a tough guy who can't play a regular shift. I think there is always going to room for a tough guy who can play. And Peluso looks like he has above average skating, and hands, compared to other "tough guys". Which could possibly lead to him becoming the mythical "tough guy who can play".

C) He's 24, and Thorburn is 30 and a UFA next year. It's possible that with some more experience, that Peluso could be an upgrade on our toughness, and be more in the future plans than Thorburn.

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 11:23 AM
BigZ65

Quote:
Originally Posted by DominikPavelec View Post
I don't know who will be sent down but I know I'd like to see Thorburn sent down. Cormier is younger, and likely has more of an offensive game. Thorburn has lost his usefulness with the emergence of Peluso. It would be a better move to let Cormier have a chance to prove himself than have Thorburn clog up a roster spot.
Cormier has zero offensive game, like worse than Thorburn. He is great at faceoffs and nothing else.

BigZ65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 11:26 AM
wpgsilver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
Agreed. I don't think Peluso has looked great in the pre-season, and he definitely gaffed against the Oilers which lead to a goal. I think he's been just ok.

But I think Peluso also needs to be looked at in perspective. He's only played 5 NHL games in his career. He's played half as many games in the NHL as Scheifele (and actually has 2 points to Scheifele's 1, but that's neither here nor there).

I don't know about others thoughts, but I am willing and hoping the Jets give Peluso a decent shot to see what he can do in the NHL because:

A) He does only have 5 NHL games of experience, so I'd like to see what he can do once he has more.

B) He brings an impressive set of tools for his role. As much as there is a camp that doesn't want to have a "tough guy", I believe that there is only no room on a roster for a tough guy who can't play a regular shift. I think there is always going to room for a tough guy who can play. And Peluso looks like he has above average skating, and hands, compared to other "tough guys". Which could possibly lead to him becoming the mythical "tough guy who can play".

C) He's 24, and Thorburn is 30 and a UFA next year. It's possible that with some more experience, that Peluso could be an upgrade on our toughness, and be more in the future plans than Thorburn.
Totally agree Huffer, good post.

wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 11:38 AM
Howard Chuck

Quote:

Agree. I'd like to see some more of him to see how he does.

Howard Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 12:52 PM
theamazingchris

Peluso hasn't been good. But if the choice is between him and Thorburn... I'd rather have the bigger body.

theamazingchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 01:00 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:

I agree.

I would also probably keep him over Thorburn, just find it funny that I haven't really seen any of the boo boos mentioned.

truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 04:46 PM
DominikPavelec

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZ65 View Post
Cormier has zero offensive game, like worse than Thorburn. He is great at faceoffs and nothing else.
He can't get 5 points in half a season? I don't think it gets much worse than Thorburn. I think if he just stands in front of the net the puck will bounce off his back or his rear and go in more times than Thorburn's ever scored for us.

DominikPavelec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 04:47 PM
FBS

vCash: 147
I don't think Cormier has ever had a sick cross-crease toe-drag goal...

FBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 04:57 PM
Jetsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBS View Post
I don't think Cormier has ever had a sick cross-crease toe-drag goal...
Watch it again, he actually lost control but regained it luckily and was able to finish it off. I loved it but he didn't really plan that baby out...

Old
09-26-2013, 06:06 PM
wpgsilver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetsman View Post
Watch it again, he actually lost control but regained it luckily and was able to finish it off. I loved it but he didn't really plan that baby out...
I think that's why he was using

wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 12:19 AM
BigZ65

Quote:
Originally Posted by DominikPavelec View Post
He can't get 5 points in half a season? I don't think it gets much worse than Thorburn. I think if he just stands in front of the net the puck will bounce off his back or his rear and go in more times than Thorburn's ever scored for us.
Ummm...have you seen Cormier against NHLers? He wins faceoffs at a 75% clip on his call-ups and he can't stick, what does that tell you? How many points does he have in his NHL career so far? At best, Cormier would be Thorburn, but he'd have to improve his skating to even be that. He'll have a nice career in Italy or England.

BigZ65 is offline   Reply With Quote