HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013-2014 Training Camp Thread (Final Impressions Time - Countdown to Opening Night)

Old
09-26-2013, 02:45 PM
Top 6 Spaling

vCash: 500
Piskula is on waivers today, FWIW.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 02:48 PM
thecloser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
Piskula is on waivers today, FWIW.
good to know.

thecloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 04:36 PM
SCBdude
SC Bern 1931 / NYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstcyr View Post
Would that be the Josi treatment also?
No, Josi played a full season in the AHL before he got to play in the Majors.

SCBdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 02:24 AM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
How has Jones and Forsberg looked in the pre-season? Both will be on the team this year or?

vippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 08:27 AM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

Quote:
Originally Posted by vippe View Post
How has Jones and Forsberg looked in the pre-season? Both will be on the team this year or?
Both very good.

Forsberg is banged up with a minor injury right now and has missed the last couple of preseason games, but Trotz called him the best and most consistent forward in camp prior to that.

Jones played 25 minutes in his last preseason game, and looks slated to start the season on the second pairing with Kevin Klein.

DontCallPlayersStuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 08:34 AM
Wrong Box Legwand

Cuts are supposed to be made today. And now we wait.

Wrong Box Legwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 08:38 AM
PFL615

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashville View Post
Well I was at the game last night and it wasn't pretty. Several of our best players did not play, but that's not really the point. The score was 4-1 but it could have been worse pretty easily.

Bad
Ekholm - Really, really terrible game positionally and with the puck. He really could not handle 1v1 with any of the stronger Washington forwards. This was disappointing for me given all the positive things I've heard about him recently.
Spaling - He had one of the worst plays in recent memory; burned SO badly one on one in the corner, to the point he fell flat on his face, and led directly to a goal (Fehr iirc). Just generally not great throughout the game.
Goose - Terrible with the puck last night, and I don't seem to remember him dominating the circle, but I was also drinking. Just invisible out there; Nystrom looked vastly superior to him and it makes me want to sit Goose and give Beck more time.

Not Great
Hutton - He gave up a weak short side goal and was just generally not great with rebound control. He had a disastrous 2nd period, but he had some great saves in the 1st and he closed the game out well. All-in-all, he's pretty close to the bad bucket, but the defense was just terrible and gave WSH some amazing chances.
Wilson - Wasn't terrible, but it was a disappointing performance. Wasn't strong on the puck and seemed to be just coasting around for the most part.

Average
A lot of players were largely invisible and fell somewhere between average and not great. Hornqvist, Beck, Klein, Bartley, etc. Not going to spend much time here.
Jones - Just average. Some basic stickhandling / possession errors, but no major mistakes. Just didn't really stand out. The defense pairings from last night are clearly not going to persist going forward, so I won't worry too much about it.

Pretty Good
Moser - I actually had to look up who this was when the game started because I didn't recognize the number and I was sitting in the cheap seats. He was one of the few bright spots; had some nice carries with the puck that led to some decent chances. Not awesome defensively, but he looked pretty solid.
Ellis - Ellis was pretty great. He was possibly the only person on the Preds other than Fisher who looked like he knew what he was doing when he had the puck. Solid zone clearing whether he was passing or skating it out and he had some good entries that led to decent chances. He was not great as QB on the PP though.
Fisher - Had a great fight with someone and looked like one of the few people who cared last night. Some great chances and played like Fisher normally does.
Nystrom - Color me surprised, but he was one of the best players on the ice. Physical, great fight, and had the best chances on the team. He was surprisingly good behind the net with the puck and I thought he looked like 4x better than Gaustad which is a reasonable comparable.

That's about all the strong impressions I had. Not a great game at all; was most disappointed with the lack of effort, even from some fringe players like Beck, Spaling, etc. I think Spaling hits the trade block; when he got burned and WSH scored, the coaches did a minor huddle on the bench. We'll see.

Also, my heart stopped when Hornqvist took a slapshot off the side of his skate. He immediately went to the bench on one skate and could not put any weight on the other foot; I seriously thought he broke a bone in his foot. Glad he's ok.
Must of had a few beers. Goose was 11-1 on faceoffs going into 3rd.

PFL615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 09:17 AM
Preds33
RIP Shea Weber!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilodon View Post
Cuts are supposed to be made today. And now we wait.
I thought it was said it'd be tomorrow after tonight's game.

Either way it will be interesting to see what happens. I would like Moser to be able to stay but I don't how that will be possible. I do not see Poile cutting Spaling or Smith even though it would be nice.

Preds33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 09:24 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

I'd still like to give Smith a shot, but kept on a short leash. We've seen that he can be good. I think it's worth giving him a shot to show us he can get that back.

AtlantaWhaler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 09:34 AM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashville615 View Post
Must of had a few beers. Goose was 11-1 on faceoffs going into 3rd.
Yes I acknowledged this on the last page and it seems to be the comment everyone is focusing on haha.

Cashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 10:52 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds33 View Post
I thought it was said it'd be tomorrow after tonight's game.

Either way it will be interesting to see what happens. I would like Moser to be able to stay but I don't how that will be possible. I do not see Poile cutting Spaling or Smith even though it would be nice.
If Moser has definitively earned a place on the roster, then the club has to find a way to keep him. I'm not sure he's definitively better than Spaling, Smith, or Beck.

It's possible Poile signs Moser and sends Beck back to Milwaukee for the first month or so of the season, buying the club time to sort out which of Spaling, Smith, and Moser will be the most effective going forward and ditching the weakest link to make room for Beck in the NHL.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 01:03 PM
Jubal

IMO

1. Beck
2. Either Moser or Smith
3. Spaling

I'm not as low on Smith as I am Spaling, but would rather see Beck before all of them. Moser seems like a decent forward.

Jubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 01:18 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

I'm still trying to figure out way everyone is so down on Spaling?

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 01:33 PM
triggrman

vCash: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
he's redundant. He doesn't offer anything special other than penalty killing and we have a lot that can do that.

My question to you should be, what has Spaling done to earn a permanent spot in the line-up?

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 01:34 PM
Wrong Box Legwand

Quote:
I'm not going to attempt to speak for everyone, but in my opinion, on a team that has signed three vets that will make the team, a young group of forwards like Beck, Watson, possibly Leipsic in the future that all deserve to make it, Spaling seems to be the odd guy out.

Throwing Moser into the mix further complicates things. It's almost like a good problem to have. Or maybe not.

Last edited by Wrong Box Legwand: 09-27-2013 at 01:43 PM.
Wrong Box Legwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 01:41 PM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

Spaling situation is tough; quiet player who actually tends to score a surprising number of clutch goals. I think we just don't have room given the current pipeline and the Nystrom / Cullen / Stalberg additions.

I would not do anything with Smith. I still think he will be great; he is one of the few players on the team who can swing solid Corsi numbers (yes, Corsi is not the be-all-end-all) and loves shooting. He also has a knack for failing spectacularly quite often. We'll see where he shakes out, but I am still behind him.

In general at forward, we have a lot of quantity, but not a ton of quantity. I would not be surprised to see a veteran + 1-2 prospects packaged up for something better.

Cashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 01:47 PM
Paranoid Android
mug mug mug

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
If Moser has definitively earned a place on the roster, then the club has to find a way to keep him. I'm not sure he's definitively better than Spaling, Smith, or Beck.

It's possible Poile signs Moser and sends Beck back to Milwaukee for the first month or so of the season, buying the club time to sort out which of Spaling, Smith, and Moser will be the most effective going forward and ditching the weakest link to make room for Beck in the NHL.
This sounds like a plan to me. With Stalberg on IR, roster decisions have become much easier. I haven't seen any games, but it sounds like Beck hasn't blown us away forcing us to keep him up.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 02:49 PM
triggrman

I worry that Hendricks won't be a good fit, so I wouldn't off anyone just yet.

Old
09-27-2013, 03:00 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
He's not flashy, doesn't have the offensive potential of a Smith or Beck, isn't an unknown like Moser, and isn't as gritty or physical as Hendricks, Nystrom or Gaustad. I still see a lot of potential in Spaling, to be honest. At 25, I think he still has room to grow beyond being the solid two-way player that will score you about 10 a season (as someone else noted, often clutch goals at that). Some fleshing out of his offensive game would make a him a great tweener, IMO. 3rd line when our top 6 is healthy, and a decent fill-in when we're banged up.

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 04:37 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
he's redundant. He doesn't offer anything special other than penalty killing and we have a lot that can do that.

My question to you should be, what has Spaling done to earn a permanent spot in the line-up?
#4 goal scorer last yr. #2 PKer based on TOI.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 05:03 PM
exeswiss

Quote:
thats not really impressive, when our best goal scorer had 12 goals the whole season

exeswiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 05:06 PM
triggrman

Quote:
So he was one of 3 returning forwards that played in more than 38 games. He was 2nd in scoring of those three and finished a whole 4 points higher than Richard Clune, the rookie, 4th line player. He also finished behind 2 returning forwards that played in as many as 15 games less than him.

Taylor Beck, the guy he seems to be fighting for a spot with had 7 points, that's 6 less than Spaling had, Beck played 16 games to Spaling's 47.

Nashville's pk % last year was one of the worst if not the worst in Predators history. Being the number 2 guy on that is not that high of an accomplishment, especially with all the injuries.

Old
09-27-2013, 06:07 PM
SCBdude
SC Bern 1931 / NYI

Swiss hockey writer Klaus Zaugg reports that Simon Moser would be willing to play in the AHL at first.

Last edited by SCBdude: 09-27-2013 at 06:29 PM.
SCBdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 06:09 PM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBdude View Post
Swiss hockey writer Klaus Zaugg reports that Silon Moser would be willing to play in the AHL at first.
That is great news if true

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 06:31 PM
INDhockeyfan

Preds are down 1-0 already. Only took 1:25.

Bourque scores and it is 1-1 now

Looks like Josi/Weber, Jones/Klein, Bartley/Ellis on the defense.

Last edited by INDhockeyfan: 09-27-2013 at 06:37 PM.
INDhockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote