HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Philadelphia Phillies (MLB): Wheels and Sarge out.

Closed Thread

Old
09-23-2013, 08:17 PM
jml87

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devastate View Post
What happened? I missed it
Went through 3 batters, was sweating like a pig, and left with right arm fatigue. Topped out at 83 mph.

Old
09-24-2013, 08:16 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

That was absolutely brutal

Old
09-24-2013, 08:56 AM
SolidSnakeUS

I feel so bad for him. Plus the fact that the walk that Garcia gave up was the winning run. Doc deserves better and it really hurts to see him like this.

Old
09-24-2013, 09:08 AM
Hiesenberg

Talk about a slow death to this season. Oy

Also, I like Halladay, he had a hell of a season here for a couple of years. The dude has over 40,000 pitches on that arm. Its time to call it a career. He's made almost 150M in his career.

Go out

Old
09-24-2013, 09:20 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Still surprised they haven't said what is wrong with him right now (specifically). He was noticeably messed up last night.

Old
09-24-2013, 09:45 AM
Hollywood Couturier
#NoHonorForConnor

He admitted to having an illness related to his diet that's personal and has to deal with family history.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Old
09-24-2013, 10:49 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
Talk about a slow death to this season. Oy

Also, I like Halladay, he had a hell of a season here for a couple of years. The dude has over 40,000 pitches on that arm. Its time to call it a career. He's made almost 150M in his career.

Go out
Yeah. I mean, if anyone can rebound, it's Halladay...but still. Time to hang'em up. One of the best starting pitchers of this generation. If he wasn't on such a crappy team for the majority of this career, he may have came close to 300 wins. Would have been a stretch but his case for the hall would have been that much better. Not sure he gets in now.

Old
09-24-2013, 11:25 AM
Justified
Amaro out

vCash: 230
The guy was best pitcher over the past decade, hate to see that happen last night but you've got to think that could be the end.

Old
09-24-2013, 01:13 PM
flyersguy33*

Sadly, I think Roy is done. I don't think it would be worth throwing the money at him next year. We don't have many guys to take his spot. I guess we can hope that our Dominican pick up csn take his spot. Lee-Hamels-Dominican dude- xxxxx- xxxx

Old
09-24-2013, 01:15 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schenntacular Duo View Post
Sadly, I think Roy is done. I don't think it would be worth throwing the money at him next year. We don't have many guys to take his spot. I guess we can hope that our Dominican pick up csn take his spot. Lee-Hamels-Dominican dude- xxxxx- xxxx
If Martin can get his head out of his ass and actually have good command, I think he would do well as our 4th.

Old
09-24-2013, 03:28 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 930
Kind of related to the Doc situation, but if you guys can, check out the final story on Real Sports w/ Gumbel on HBO (onDemand if you got it). It's about Steve Delabar and his skyrocket to stardom, and the throwing program he used to get there. With all due respect to Steve and his great story, that throwing program they also profiled seemed phenomenal, and Doc should certainly look into it.

Old
09-24-2013, 04:08 PM
Phileeguy
Good luck, Kimmo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
If Martin can get his head out of his ass and actually have good command, I think he would do well as our 4th.
While that is a nice sentiment, but looking at arms that have come up through this organization over the past couple years, both SP and bullpen, is there anything that's hinting to you like that's a likely outcome? I can't say for sure, but it sure seems like an organizational thing that they like guys with stuff, but for whatever reason (coaching at all levels?) have guys that can't locate. Look to guys like Defratus, Aumont, Ramirez, Diekman, Martin, etc. The upside is they're young, the downside is no matter who they bring up it seems like location is a problem.

Old
09-24-2013, 04:14 PM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schenntacular Duo View Post
He's Cuban, but I get your point.

I think the first 3 starters are set with Hamels/Lee/MAG

I think they'd hope that Adam Morgan could be one of the final 2 spots, but he's had shoulder concerns this year and was shut down before the year finished up.

Old
09-24-2013, 11:45 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 930
If they really want to contend for another season, I hope they make a HARD push for Nelson Cruz in the offseason.

Old
09-27-2013, 12:40 AM
jml87

Man we should've kept this guy. At least it would make things funnier.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vid...tsillustrated/

Old
09-27-2013, 07:55 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
If they really want to contend for another season, I hope they make a HARD push for Nelson Cruz in the offseason.
No thanks man, he'll be in his mid to late 30's for that entire contract. I wouldn't put it past Amaro though.

Old
09-27-2013, 09:06 AM
Hollywood Couturier
#NoHonorForConnor

Can they finally shut up about Mariano Rivera? I get that he's a good player but I just don't care. Hard Rock Café is "retiring" Enter Sandman from their restaurants. So ****ing stupid.

Old
09-27-2013, 10:43 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Couturier View Post
Can they finally shut up about Mariano Rivera? I get that he's a good player but I just don't care. Hard Rock Café is "retiring" Enter Sandman from their restaurants. So ****ing stupid.
This. I don't get it. Who cares?

Old
09-27-2013, 11:35 AM
Ilya Bryzastor

I'm pretty sure my great grandfather and grandfather would laugh their ***** off knowing a relief pitcher who only pitched around 1,000 innings is being celebrated and going into the hall of fame. Same with me , I don't really respect closers anymore , the game has really turned into a joke with pitch counts and innings limits, and now teams think they need a guy just to pitch 1 inning for them every 3 days , because they are scared if they use them 2 days in a row , they'll get injured.

End of rant.

Old
09-27-2013, 11:41 AM
Hiesenberg

99% of that is true, but Rivera isn't like any other closer, he was massively dominant, if the job was so easy, why aren't there tons of closers with similar stats? There aren't. Rivera is easily the greatest closer of all time, if you don't respect the position, that's fine, but respect the player that wasn't only the great closer of all time, but one of the greatest pitchers of all time. The man was virtually unhittable at times and in the playoffs, you might as well give up.

Old
09-27-2013, 11:45 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
99% of that is true, but Rivera isn't like any other closer, he was massively dominant, if the job was so easy, why aren't there tons of closers with similar stats? There aren't. Rivera is easily the greatest closer of all time, if you don't respect the position, that's fine, but respect the player that wasn't only the great closer of all time, but one of the greatest pitchers of all time. The man was virtually unhittable at times and in the playoffs, you might as well give up.
That's all well and good. I definitely respect his abilities and agree with your statement, I don't understand the big hullaballoo he got from all the teams giving him gifts. While he will be missed, I honestly don't think this impacts the Yankees in a significant enough way at all. They'll still be the Yankees, same players, just need to find a stopper in the late innings. A closer does not make a team.

Old
09-27-2013, 11:47 AM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

I don't understand it - hate the Yankees all you want but when it comes down to Rivera. Just give the man the respect he is deserved. He is a freak, he has done it for years and at times was pretty much automatic.

Enter Sandman will always be remembered as his walk/run in theme for me.

Here's to a great career, Mo-Rivera.

Props to Nemesis for the signature and avatar.
Old
09-27-2013, 11:48 AM
Hiesenberg

Because he will go down as the greatest closer of all time until somebody unseats him. In addition, he will also be the last player ever to wear #42, which is kind of a huge deal too.

Old
09-27-2013, 12:13 PM
jml87

Im on both sides with Rivera. I think he's the greatest closer of all time and he's a nice respectable guy as well. But it also gets to the point of overkill. They held up the game for like ten minutes for him to weep on the mound, be given a full standing ovation by both teams and the crowd, hug all of his teammates then come out for a long curtain call. That's not even getting into all the extravagant gifts he's gotten. I mean come on, he's not dying. There are other guys who had great careers do not get this type of sendoff. Even Chipper Jones who I thought was a little much, didn't get this much fanfare.

Greatest closer in history, absolutely, but if he were a miami marlin or a kansas city royal, would anyone have cared all that much? It's borderline worship at this point.

Old
09-27-2013, 12:16 PM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jml87 View Post
Im on both sides with Rivera. I think he's the greatest closer of all time and he's a nice respectable guy as well. But it also gets to the point of overkill. They held up the game for like ten minutes for him to weep on the mound, be given a full standing ovation by both teams and the crowd, hug all of his teammates then come out for a long curtain call. That's not even getting into all the extravagant gifts he's gotten. I mean come on, he's not dying. There are other guys who had great careers do not get this type of sendoff. Even Chipper Jones who I thought was a little much, didn't get this much fanfare.

Greatest closer in history, absolutely, but if he were a miami marlin or a kansas city royal, would anyone have cared all that much? It's borderline worship at this point.
I agree with most of that, but there is a chicken/egg thought. If he were either of those guys, 1) he would've never been there his entire career 2) would've never become the greatest closer.

To get that opportunity and save chances your team has to put you there. Being on a ****** team for 10 years would've limited him greatly. So its kind of a weird marriage you have to look at. If he was on ANY other team, does he become who he becomes?

Closed Thread