HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread IV: Top-6 Center Stop Gaps? Super Heavyweights?

Closed Thread

Old
09-27-2013, 10:55 AM
Mr Sakich

vCash: 500
apparently MPS is at risk of being on waivers in STL. He is off the 3rd line and is an extra / healthy scratch for the opening day roster.

I would love to have him back as a 3rd line checker. I wonder if STL would do a swap for someone like Gernat / Musil / Simpson

Old
09-27-2013, 11:04 AM
misfit

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Considering that he thought we dealt with him in the wrong with his illness I'd say he could very well turn it down.
Based on the way he's played over his professional career, I don't think anyone should be too concerned if he turns us down (not that they would try to sign him in the first place)

09-27-2013, 11:08 AM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post
apparently MPS is at risk of being on waivers in STL. He is off the 3rd line and is an extra / healthy scratch for the opening day roster.

I would love to have him back as a 3rd line checker. I wonder if STL would do a swap for someone like Gernat / Musil / Simpson
i'd do such a deal in a second, but i highly doubt that st. louis would do that deal.... it sure wouldn't look very good from their POV

i still think paajarvi is going to turn out to be a very good 3rd winger.... great speed and size, very defensively aware, is willing to play in whatever role the coach wants him to... i'd take paajarvi back in a second, i'm a big fan

Old
09-27-2013, 11:23 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:

He is nowhere near at risk of being on waivers. Hitchcock is experimenting with him on lines 3 and 4. He may even be a healthy scratch, but there's no way he gets waived.

Old
09-27-2013, 11:23 AM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

Quote:

Not a chance he goes on waivers, even if he did, I'd imagine he'd be scooped up by Florido or Nashville before us.

Old
09-27-2013, 11:27 AM
Yak City

Honestly, I like Paajarvi a lot and I saw a lot in his game that I liked last season, but if he's actually in danger of not making the Blues, who are pretty much tailor-made for him to succeed in, then I'd be worried that he may never make it.

If for some reason we got a call offering MPS back to us for cheap, I'd still want him back, but it's kind of worrying for his career potential at this point.

More and more I think that we absolutely won the Perron trade.

Old
09-27-2013, 11:31 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yak City View Post
Honestly, I like Paajarvi a lot and I saw a lot in his game that I liked last season, but if he's actually in danger of not making the Blues, who are pretty much tailor-made for him to succeed in, then I'd be worried that he may never make it.

If for some reason we got a call offering MPS back to us for cheap, I'd still want him back, but it's kind of worrying for his career potential at this point.

More and more I think that we absolutely won the Perron trade.
Hitchcock's only problem with MPS is that he doesn't check. And when I say check I mean engage physically. This was a problem in EDM too. He literally slows down before making contact with opposition players.

I don't see that game in MPS - we've spoiled him with the soft culture that was being preached here the last couple of years.

Old
09-27-2013, 11:37 AM
shogun99

No way MPS goes on waivers, at worst he'll be a healthy scratch for most of the year since they gave up Perron for him.

You know who won't be a healthy scratch this year, Perron.

Old
09-27-2013, 11:41 AM
rockinghockey

If we had to trade one of either Smid or Petry which dman would you trade away?

It came up on the main board, I would move Smid before Petry, I love the way Petry handles the puck and moves it out of the zone.

Old
09-27-2013, 11:42 AM
Toydarian

After having watched Perron to a greater extent (albeit in preseason), it's pretty obvious EDM will win the trade. However, STL didn't really make the trade in order to 'win' as much as they did it to identify and secure their team core.

Old
09-27-2013, 11:46 AM
misfit

vCash: 50
Quote:
I'd be shocked if that happened, nor do I see them trading him this early on. If MacTavish did manage to trade for him, I'd definitely be in favor of the move.

Old
09-27-2013, 11:48 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
If we had to trade one of either Smid or Petry which dman would you trade away?

It came up on the main board, I would move Smid before Petry, I love the way Petry handles the puck and moves it out of the zone.
What scenario makes it possible to deal either of those defensemen?

If in a package for a #1 defenseman, then you trade whichever one plays on the same side as this defenseman (Smid = LD, Petry = RD).

It's important to note that RD is our weakness right now. Everyone but Petry and J.Schultz is an LD. So my first logical choice is to deal Smid.

Then there's the skill-set. Both Petry and Smid played tough minutes and kept their heads above water - but it's Petry that shows the versatility to play PP, ES, and PK with great ability. To me he's our clear-cut #1 defenseman right now.

Old
09-27-2013, 11:55 AM
backhandsauce

Perron is a stud. You make that trade 1000 times out of 1000. Guys like Paajarvi can be found in later stages of the draft.

Too me Paajarvi could end up being a Todd Marchant type of player.

Old
09-27-2013, 12:00 PM
SephF
Visually Better

Quote:

He's not being put on waivers

Quote:
Hitchcock said that Paajarvi has played "opposite" of what the team expected when they acquired him.

"What I mean by that," Hitchcock said, "is his ability to make plays on the rush, his abilities to make plays on the cycle, his offensive instincts were way better than what we thought they were. What we saw in the last 20 games in Edmonton was a high level of tenacity and something you can build on. He hasn't shown that here. He's shown at times like he's overwhelmed, but he's showing more offensive ability than we thought ... ever."

Hitchcock said that he saw a different player in Paajarvi Thursday.

"Today at practice was the first time we saw the player that we traded for," Hitchcock said. "Today when it got down to crunch time and he could see numbers, there's 15 forwards here ... he went at it. He was the guy we thought we traded for today."

Closed Thread