HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Philadelphia Phillies (MLB): Wheels and Sarge out.

Closed Thread

Old
09-27-2013, 11:18 AM
Hollywood Couturier

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0otnSc0re View Post
I don't understand it - hate the Yankees all you want but when it comes down to Rivera. Just give the man the respect he is deserved. He is a freak, he has done it for years and at times was pretty much automatic.

Enter Sandman will always be remembered as his walk/run in theme for me.

Here's to a great career, Mo-Rivera.
But what does that have to do with Hard Rock Cafe? My problem is this stupid ass retirement tour. Tell the team you're retiring but all this fanfare is stupid as hell.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Old
09-27-2013, 11:20 AM
Ilya Bryzastor

I agree Rivera is the 2nd best closer of all time behind Wilhelm , but definitely not even close to top 100 pitchers of all time. I put Wins , Innings Pitched , and WHIP over E.R.A and saves.

Old
09-27-2013, 12:15 PM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Couturier View Post
But what does that have to do with Hard Rock Cafe? My problem is this stupid ass retirement tour. Tell the team you're retiring but all this fanfare is stupid as hell.
It's a strange gesture, maybe there's more to the story than what's been led on for now?

I'm not really sure.

Props to Nemesis for the signature and avatar.
Old
09-27-2013, 12:17 PM
zarley zelepukin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilya Bryzastor View Post
I agree Rivera is the 2nd best closer of all time behind Wilhelm , but definitely not even close to top 100 pitchers of all time. I put Wins , Innings Pitched , and WHIP over E.R.A and saves.
I'm not sure how you could put Wilhelm or anyone else ahead of Rivera if you're talking about closers. Except for innings pitched (and Wilhelm made 52 starts in his career) Rivera comes out in front everywhere. Also, wins are virtually meaningless as an individual stat. Especially if we're talking about relievers/closers. Rivera struck out more batters, walked less, gave up less hits and had a lower ERA and ERA+ (which is league adjusted) than Wilhelm.

Old
09-27-2013, 02:08 PM
Ilya Bryzastor

Those stats mean nothing when you compare the two , saves were rarely ever recorded back when Wilhelm pitched , he probably had a lot more than were recorded. Also strikeouts were way harder to get back then because batters would just make contact when at 2 strikes , now strikeouts are way more common. You can't compare the E.R.A either because Rivera pitched a hell of a lot less innings than Wilhelm did. If Rivera had pitched 1,000 more innings I'm sure his E.R.A would be higher. I grew up with Wilhelm, I just think if Wilhelm pitched now he would be better than Rivera. Also Wilhelm gave up more hits and walks because he pitched more innings.

Last edited by Ilya Bryzastor: 09-27-2013 at 02:15 PM.
Old
09-27-2013, 09:19 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
No thanks man, he'll be in his mid to late 30's for that entire contract. I wouldn't put it past Amaro though.
Damn I didn't realize he was so old! Well then it'd be like a 1 year deal with an option, but yeah he does have injury history so I may just retract the statement haha.

Old
09-28-2013, 07:08 AM
Justified
Amaro out

vCash: 673
Despite their best intentions to sabotage the tank (unlike the Flyers and that silly 4 game winning streak at the end ), Im 99.9% certain the Phillies will be getting a protected pick (cant see them winning a game in Atlanta now after Lee lost last night)! Break out that checkbook Rube!

Old
09-28-2013, 09:35 AM
jml87

Let's just hope for no stupid Amaro trades in the offseason. I don't want to lose Franco or Biddle because of that man's idiocy.

Ready for this nightmare of a season to be over.

Old
09-28-2013, 10:41 AM
Phileeguy
G's got good hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jml87 View Post
Let's just hope for no stupid Amaro trades in the offseason. I don't want to lose Franco or Biddle because of that man's idiocy.

Ready for this nightmare of a season to be over.
Instead, be wary of stupid Amaro long-term, overpay FA acquisitions

Old
09-28-2013, 05:46 PM
jml87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phileeguy View Post
Instead, be wary of stupid Amaro long-term, overpay FA acquisitions
Basically be prepared for the absolute worst at this point. I will laugh if they sign some over the hill RH bat and declare their offense fixed. I shouldn't laugh though, since that's what they've been doing for the past two years.

Delmon Young is the answer, guys, I know it!!

Old
09-28-2013, 09:45 PM
The Couturier Effect

Everyone can complain about J-Roll all they want, but if anyone else was playing shortstop in the 9th, the Phillies would've lost. That was an unbelievable play.

Old
09-29-2013, 01:27 AM
MP92
Catching flies

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan8828 View Post
Everyone can complain about J-Roll all they want, but if anyone else was playing shortstop in the 9th, the Phillies would've lost. That was an unbelievable play.
It was a great play but let's not get carried away. Galvis could have made that play as well.

Old
09-29-2013, 06:38 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOREacek View Post
It was a great play but let's not get carried away. Galvis could have made that play as well.
Don't think so. Galvis has the arm but not the range or ability to get the throw off that quick.

Old
09-29-2013, 02:20 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Really happy for Alvarez to get the no-hitter. Marlins had a ****** season, but I like their pitchers quite a lot.

Old
09-29-2013, 04:34 PM
jml87

Mercifully this season is finally over. First time in like 7 years that I haven't watched the last game.

Old
09-30-2013, 03:00 PM
FlyersFan61290

Dubee is gone. If RAJ doesn't have a good offseason or the team struggles agin next yr with such a high payroll he's gone.

He should contact Homer on how to do a quick rebuild

Old
10-01-2013, 08:17 PM
FlyingPhilly

That article about RAJ where he is quoted as saying he made bad moves for a year is not very accurate IMO. He has made bad moves for the past 3 years at least!

Old
10-01-2013, 08:32 PM
The Couturier Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
Dubee is gone. If RAJ doesn't have a good offseason or the team struggles agin next yr with such a high payroll he's gone.

Homer + no salary cap.....

That's a scary thought

Old
10-01-2013, 10:18 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post

F that, Hexy should become the Asst. GM for all 4 major teams in the city. He could be a VERY powerful man in a very short time

Old
10-02-2013, 07:34 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

So we have the 7th overall pick, and I'm hoping for an non pitcher.

Old
10-02-2013, 08:02 AM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
So we have the 7th overall pick, and I'm hoping for an non pitcher.
Based off of past experience, The Phillies usually alternate going pitcher heavy and position player heavy every year. They went position player heavy last year. Just something to keep in mind. They have not, however, picked this high in quite a while (2001- Gavin Floyd- #4 overall). I'm always a BPA advocate so that is the way I would go. They could use just about anything. As much as a stud position prospect would be nice, this team does lack a top of the rotation guy in the system as well.

Old
10-02-2013, 09:35 AM
jml87

Yup

Old
10-02-2013, 10:05 AM
Justified
Amaro out

vCash: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by jml87 View Post

Yup
can say that about his past two seasons, which have been terrible for him.

Old
10-02-2013, 12:52 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
Based off of past experience, The Phillies usually alternate going pitcher heavy and position player heavy every year. They went position player heavy last year. Just something to keep in mind. They have not, however, picked this high in quite a while (2001- Gavin Floyd- #4 overall). I'm always a BPA advocate so that is the way I would go. They could use just about anything. As much as a stud position prospect would be nice, this team does lack a top of the rotation guy in the system as well.
That's true, but I feel like BPA isn't as clear cut in the first round of baseball drafts as it is in other sports. I could be wrong though. I see the least amount of risk, and quickest path the majors with college hitters. I don't want them to take a guy like that just take him. I'm just hoping there is someone like that at the top of the board when the draft rolls around.

High school pitching prospects worry me. Pitching prospects in general worry me lol, but high school kids more so, due to injuries and difficult projections.

Old
10-02-2013, 01:28 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
That's true, but I feel like BPA isn't as clear cut in the first round of baseball drafts as it is in other sports. I could be wrong though. I see the least amount of risk, and quickest path the majors with college hitters. I don't want them to take a guy like that just take him. I'm just hoping there is someone like that at the top of the board when the draft rolls around.

High school pitching prospects worry me. Pitching prospects in general worry me lol, but high school kids more so, due to injuries and difficult projections.
Baseball is the riskiest draft out there. You really have to do your homework, have a little bit of luck, and a good development staff. The latter has been a problem of late for the Phills, but it appears changes are being made.

It's way too early to predict where they go with the pick, but it will be a huge stepping stone for the future.

Closed Thread