HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs Cuts (28th: Dumont clears waivers)

Old
09-27-2013, 10:05 AM
gusfring

vCash: 500
Dumont is and always was a dime a dozen player. Many guys on waivers are the same or better.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 10:24 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusfring View Post
Dumont is and always was a dime a dozen player. Many guys on waivers are the same or better.
Exactly!

He has absolutely no upside and is going to be a career journeyman NHL/AHL tweener. Bournival is bigger, stronger, faster and more skilled than Dumont....and he just took his spot. Dumont is just an injury fill in and players like that are always available.

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 10:29 AM
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
Exactly!

He has absolutely no upside and is going to be a career journeyman NHL/AHL tweener. Bournival is bigger, stronger, faster and more skilled than Dumont....and he just took his spot. Dumont is just an injury fill in and players like that are always available.
Yeah but who sits when Parros comes back and Therrien wants to have him play? Dumont has nothing to learn in the AHL, Bournival could use that extra season in the AHL to work on his weaknesses.

Chris Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 10:32 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cutter View Post
Dumont has nothing to learn in the AHL, Bournival could use that extra season in the AHL to work on his weaknesses.
That seems to be the exact opposite of the message that was just sent by the Habs. Either that, or the message is that Dumont has nothing to learn in the AHL because there's nothing he can do in the NHL. Take your pick.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 10:36 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Yeah but who sits when Parros comes back and Therrien wants to have him play? Dumont has nothing to learn in the AHL, Bournival could use that extra season in the AHL to work on his weaknesses.
Chances are that injuries will allow a player like Bournival to stay in the lineup for the entire season if he continues to play well. Someone else might go down before Parros comes back....

I agree that I would rather have Dumont in the press box than Bournival as Dumont doesn't have any upside/potential that could be jeopardized. I just think that people make the same mistake every year of trying to project a fully healthy lineup which in reality rarely ever actually takes place. Parros is also the type of player that will be the odd man out on many nights when his special talents aren't required.

Old
09-27-2013, 11:19 AM
Agalloch

Blunden, Tarnasky and St-Pierre cleared waivers.

Quote:
Tim Wharnsby ‏@WharnsbyCBC

No waiver-wire pickups today.

Agalloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 11:19 AM
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada

We didn't sign Lapierre because we had 5'3" Dumont, and now Dumont is waived. Bournival doesn't bring energy-grit to the 4th line, and I'm far from having a meat-head fetish but if there's any line that needs to have grit it is the 4th.

WhiskeySeven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 11:23 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
We didn't sign Lapierre because we had 5'3" Dumont, and now Dumont is waived. Bournival doesn't bring energy-grit to the 4th line, and I'm far from having a meat-head fetish but if there's any line that needs to have grit it is the 4th.
Bournival will play a Paille like role for our team. You're underestimating the dimensions he adds to our team and PK with his exceptional speed. He will cause havoc on the forecheck and put players in positions to be hit by rugged wingers.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 11:24 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
I missed the press conference where MB said that Lapierre wasn't signed due to Dumont being on the roster......

As for Bournival not bringing energy and grit.........have you ever watched him play?

This anti-Bergevin nonsense is becoming laughable.

Old
09-27-2013, 11:25 AM
Gustave

Quote:
At any given point, we can roll out a combination of Prust-White-Moen-Parros for a 4th line. We'll be fine in the grit department on the bottom line.

Gustave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 11:25 AM
Mad Habber

Quote:
Chances are that injuries will allow a player like Bournival to stay in the lineup for the entire season if he continues to play well. Someone else might go down before Parros comes back....

I agree that I would rather have Dumont in the press box than Bournival as Dumont doesn't have any upside/potential that could be jeopardized. I just think that people make the same mistake every year of trying to project a fully healthy lineup which in reality rarely ever actually takes place. Parros is also the type of player that will be the odd man out on many nights when his special talents aren't required.
Which night is this. Detroit is just about the only team that doesn't try to bully us around. And they'll change their tune when they figure out what Toronto, Boston, Ottawa etc are doing to win games.

Parros should dress for every game. He can skip some shifts, but that's it. Double shift the other wingers here and there. They'll all play better if they know the 'stach is sitting on the bench ready to go on.

Mad Habber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 11:26 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
why would anyone think that the Habs didn't sign Lappy because of Dumont?

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 11:33 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Habber View Post
Which night is this. Detroit is just about the only team that doesn't try to bully us around. And they'll change their tune when they figure out what Toronto, Boston, Ottawa etc are doing to win games.

Parros should dress for every game. He can skip some shifts, but that's it. Double shift the other wingers here and there. They'll all play better if they know the 'stach is sitting on the bench ready to go on.
Do you really believe that MT plans on dressing Parros for every game???? Prepare to be wrong my friend.

Old
09-27-2013, 11:40 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Do you really believe that MT plans on dressing Parros for every game???? Prepare to be wrong my friend.
Parros is for select teams. He'll play vs. Boston, Ottawa, Toronto. He'll sit vs. Detroit, Tampa, Florida.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 11:43 AM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Parros is for select teams. He'll play vs. Boston, Ottawa, Toronto. He'll sit vs. Detroit, Tampa, Florida.
Actually, I only think He'll play versus Ottawa if Kassian is in their line-up. He's job is simply to counteract other goons, he doesn't really serve a purpose beyond that (as with all goons, but I'm not getting into that).

Captain Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 11:43 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Agreed

Old
09-27-2013, 11:55 AM
Draft

Quite interested in seeing Moen-Bournival-Prust as a 4th line. That's a lot of skill for an energy line and we could see some real hockey being played instead of your typical - skate around the ice for thirty seconds and try and hurt each other nonsense.

Draft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 11:59 AM
Grant McCagg

Lineups can change in a hurry. Was anyone pencilling Gallagher in as a surefire top 9 player last fall?

Bournival may end up ahead of Bourque or Gallagher on the depth chart if he keeps outplaying them.

I have a funny feeling about Gallagher this season. Refs aren't giving him the benefit of the doubt when he gets knocked down..just the opposite, and he's really been getting manhandled. Ottawa showed in the playoffs that you could get away with quite a bit because he already had a rep as a bit of an embellisher.

He did not look that good in the preseason offensively, and that was playing with the same guys every game on a good line. I think he may suffer from the dreaded sophomore slump, and it would not surprise me to see him spend some time on the fourth line or even in the press box if he doesn't get it going offensively. Hopefully he was just snakebitten.

Anyway, Gallagher isn't surprising teams any more, and with the preponderance of small players in the Habs' top 9..Gally is going to have to produce or he'll lose his spot to Bournival soon enough. I wouldn't mind seeing a line of Chucky, Eller and Bournival some day...speed, size, smarts, good defensively.

If Bournival keeps playing like he has he will stay in the lineup, and move up eventually.

Grant McCagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 12:02 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Smurf View Post
Actually, I only think He'll play versus Ottawa if Kassian is in their line-up. He's job is simply to counteract other goons, he doesn't really serve a purpose beyond that (as with all goons, but I'm not getting into that).
I think he plays more of an enforcer role than a guy like BGL. I would hope that if Neil acts like the little punk he can be that he'll get in face and threaten to break the few teeth he has left.

Same for Boston, they don't really have a top heavyweight, but a lot of middleweight that fight.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 12:07 PM
Tusk

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
why would anyone think that the Habs didn't sign Lappy because of Dumont?
Look who you're quoting and why bother?

Tusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 12:08 PM
Westcoasthabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agalloch View Post
Blunden, Tarnasky and St-Pierre cleared waivers.
No surprise there...on any of them clearing waivers....

Westcoasthabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 12:09 PM
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
Lineups can change in a hurry. Was anyone pencilling Gallagher in as a surefire top 9 player last fall?

Bournival may end up ahead of Bourque or Gallagher on the depth chart if he keeps outplaying them.

I have a funny feeling about Gallagher this season. Refs aren't giving him the benefit of the doubt when he gets knocked down..just the opposite, and he's really been getting manhandled. Ottawa showed in the playoffs that you could get away with quite a bit because he already had a rep as a bit of an embellisher.

He did not look that good in the preseason offensively, and that was playing with the same guys every game on a good line. I think he may suffer from the dreaded sophomore slump, and it would not surprise me to see him spend some time on the fourth line or even in the press box if he doesn't get it going offensively. Hopefully he was just snakebitten.

Anyway, Gallagher isn't surprising teams any more, and with the preponderance of small players in the Habs' top 9..Gally is going to have to produce or he'll lose his spot to Bournival soon enough. I wouldn't mind seeing a line of Chucky, Eller and Bournival some day...speed, size, smarts, good defensively.

If Bournival keeps playing like he has he will stay in the lineup, and move up eventually.
Has Bournival ever played RW though?

Chris Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 12:16 PM
Grant McCagg

Quote:
Has Bournival ever played RW though?
He's a center who picked up left wing very quickly..i would imagine he could pick up right wing too. Or he could center and Eller could play right..or Chucky at center and Bournival on LW. They're all natural centers so I don't think it matters much.

Grant McCagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 12:17 PM
Charon

I don't understand the huge love for Dumont and people being so scared he's going to be picked up on waivers. Sure, he might be picked up, but he's not that special a player.

Ryan Jones cleared waivers, and all things considered, he's probably better a better 4th liner than Dumont. It seems Jones' game has taken a step back though, but Dumont is still showing no more than Jones.

Bournival, to me, looks like he's at least as good as Dumont right now. But Bournival seems to have much more potential, especially on the offensive side of the puck.

As for Beaulieu, he's gonna be a good one. He didn't look out of place at all in either of the last two games. He's got very good puck skills and he's very quick.

Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 12:17 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Thank God Blunden cleared. I was worried we'd lose him for nothing. Future captain right there.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote