HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Official Perron Watch Thread (Mod warning #341 copied to OP)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-27-2013, 12:59 AM
  #1
EastonBlues22
Global Moderator
 
EastonBlues22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 5,141
vCash: 500
Official Perron Watch Thread (Mod warning #341 copied to OP)

This thread is being created to localize the inevitable Perron discussion that will take place throughout the year. If you want to talk about how Perron is doing, or the trade, or any other related topics, then this is the most appropriate place to do so.

Please keep the conversation civil and respectful. Those who are unable to do so will be removed from the conversation at the moderator's discretion.



Mod warning post #341:

Quote:
It's getting awfully personal in here. That stops now, or you'll be removed from the discussion and/or infracted. Since all Perron discussion goes here, that means you will be done talking about it on this board. Attempts to bypass the removal by carrying the conversation to other threads will be deleted and/or infracted.

If you don't like a post, that's not an excuse to go after a poster personally. If you don't like a specific poster, use the ignore function. If you won't do that and you can't stop going after a specific poster, I have the power to put you on forced ignore or outright ban you from this forum. If you think I won't do it, try me.

The thread is a legitimate topic, and one that many Blues fans care about. It also has the nice side benefit of containing all the related Perron discussion in one place so it's easy to avoid if one chooses. If you're tired of the conversation, don't click the clearly marked link.
You have been warned.


Last edited by EastonBlues22: 12-14-2013 at 12:15 AM.
EastonBlues22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 01:06 AM
  #2
Bluesman91
Registered User
 
Bluesman91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,602
vCash: 2357
I wish Perry the best!

Bluesman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 01:12 AM
  #3
GrandPapillon
Registered User
 
GrandPapillon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Southern IL
Country: United States
Posts: 849
vCash: 500
5 (pre-season) goals already, and going by the Edmonton boards, the offensive zone penalty thing is still happening. The game against Edmonton at Scottrade should be fun provided he stays away from the Blues goalies.

GrandPapillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 01:18 AM
  #4
BlueDream
Registered User
 
BlueDream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 6,660
vCash: 500
His production is gonna go crashing straight down to Earth.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 01:24 AM
  #5
thedustman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 570
vCash: 169
I'd enjoy seeing his production soar in Edmonton, and watching our team play better overall with Paajarvi, which would epitomize the essence of the reasoning behind this trade.

thedustman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 05:19 AM
  #6
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment
 
JustOneB4IDie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: St. Louis MO
Country: United States
Posts: 3,333
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandPapillon View Post
5 (pre-season) goals already, and going by the Edmonton boards, the offensive zone penalty thing is still happening. The game against Edmonton at Scottrade should be fun provided he stays away from the Blues goalies.
It's only the preseason on Perron's offensive outburst remember that and some things never change.

And don't forget that 2nd round pick the Blues get also in the deal, Edmonton still has major issues at Def and Goalie so it could be a high 2nd rounder.


Last edited by JustOneB4IDie: 09-27-2013 at 05:35 AM.
JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 09:25 AM
  #7
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!
 
2 Minute Minor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Temple, Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 7,073
vCash: 714
It seems like some Blues fans feel threatened by Perron having success elsewhere.

Even if MPS contributes NOTHING, if the Blues make a serious run at a Cup I'll view the move as a success on the whole. I think its going to come down more to team chemistry. There are some new pieces this year (Roy, Morrow, etc) and frankly even Bouwmeester/Leopold were only here briefly last season.

I with Perron all the success, but I'm pretty skeptical of that Edmonton core. Some high-end offensive talent, but I just don't see how it can stand up to a physical game.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 10:10 AM
  #8
Dolph Ziggler
Push ME
 
Dolph Ziggler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: St. Louis, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 8,374
vCash: 50
I'm not going to lie, I've never really liked Perron and part of me kind of wants him to fail to prove I'm right. Petty, yeah but I'm human. Doesn't help that he went to a team I can't stand.

That said, I think he's in a better position to succeed now and will do fine.

I'm probably never going to comment on the trade just because I don't look at trades insofar as who won the trade as most people do. If the Blues are better as a team, I'll view it as a good move and win, even if Perron is outperforming Paajarvi (and I expect he will).

In the long run, I think both players involved will benefit from the change in scenery.

Dolph Ziggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 10:10 AM
  #9
Daley Tarasenkshow
#hateonbackes
 
Daley Tarasenkshow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: St. Louis MO
Country: United States
Posts: 3,628
vCash: 1075
IMO this trade is already a success. The second rounder could be used to acquire a player later on, and it freed up needed cap.

Daley Tarasenkshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 11:27 AM
  #10
Petro Points
Registered User
 
Petro Points's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 14,343
vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daley Tarasenkshow View Post
IMO this trade is already a success. The second rounder could be used to acquire a player later on, and it freed up needed cap.
This trade allowed you guys to lock up your core. It was never a Paajarvi vs Perron deal. It got you guys a 1.2M 3rd line LWer + 2nd round pick + money for B.Morrow + 1M to go towards resigning of AP.

As Oiler fans we were hoping for someone with size in top 6 to offset all the midgets we have but were not able to land the Clarkson'ish player. Perron deal seemed like a plan B \ an afterthought.. Seems to be working out for EDM with some of our skilled guys out of the lineup and Hall playing C.
Hopefully he works out for EDM when the real season starts.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 12:37 PM
  #11
HooliganX2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 6,086
vCash: 772
I don't get or understand the hate for Perron. We traded him now he sucks blah blah.

Perron is a good player. I expect him to get over 60 points this season with EDM. We all know Perron is the better player then MPS. At least anyone with common sense does. The Perron trade was more or less a cap dump. Nothing more nothing less. It allowed the team to make some other moves.

If people look at it was MPS VS Perron it will look bad every time. It's more MPS, Roy, Morrow, 2nd and resigning Pietrangelo.

I personally hate the trade and think we could have got more value back. I don't see MPS as ever being more than a 3rd line player. I essentially feel like we got a 2nd round pick and a depth player for a guy I see scoring 60 points this season.

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 12:37 PM
  #12
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!
 
2 Minute Minor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Temple, Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 7,073
vCash: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
This trade allowed you guys to lock up your core. It was never a Paajarvi vs Perron deal. It got you guys a 1.2M 3rd line LWer + 2nd round pick + money for B.Morrow + 1M to go towards resigning of AP.

As Oiler fans we were hoping for someone with size in top 6 to offset all the midgets we have but were not able to land the Clarkson'ish player. Perron deal seemed like a plan B \ an afterthought.. Seems to be working out for EDM with some of our skilled guys out of the lineup and Hall playing C.
Hopefully he works out for EDM when the real season starts.
The difference I see is St Louis got a guy that fits their system and Edmonton just got the most talented player they could get....although I don't see how his presence puts Edmonton closer to being a playoff team. Seems the deficits on that roster are unchanged. (No knock on Perron, I just don't see this as a guy they were targeting trading for. The offer was too good to pass up.)

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 12:55 PM
  #13
Daley Tarasenkshow
#hateonbackes
 
Daley Tarasenkshow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: St. Louis MO
Country: United States
Posts: 3,628
vCash: 1075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
This trade allowed you guys to lock up your core. It was never a Paajarvi vs Perron deal. It got you guys a 1.2M 3rd line LWer + 2nd round pick + money for B.Morrow + 1M to go towards resigning of AP.

As Oiler fans we were hoping for someone with size in top 6 to offset all the midgets we have but were not able to land the Clarkson'ish player. Perron deal seemed like a plan B \ an afterthought.. Seems to be working out for EDM with some of our skilled guys out of the lineup and Hall playing C.
Hopefully he works out for EDM when the real season starts.
Perron can play along the boards and can play like a grinder, that's the one thing a lot of people take for granted. Sure he's got speed and an ability to score, but he can offer some strength too.

Daley Tarasenkshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 12:56 PM
  #14
GrandPapillon
Registered User
 
GrandPapillon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Southern IL
Country: United States
Posts: 849
vCash: 500
But it isn't just about re-signing Petro. The difference between what Paajarvi makes and what Perron makes is right around what Jordan Leopold is making. Does anyone remember Leopold in the playoffs last season? Need I say more. The Blues panicked and made a deal where they gave up the better player. Further what Paajarvi is supposed to become is just more of the same defensively responsible, offensively limited players the Blues already have a handful of. If one single, good thing was going to happen out of this trade, it was that Schwartz was going to get more time. Now, I don't think it is out of the realm of possibilities that Hitchcock overuses his old, reliable Morrow and takes minutes away from Jaden.

Perron will thrive in Edmonton. 60 points is a very realistic possibility. I think that the trade absolutely has the potential to be one of the worst in franchise history, and that is really saying something.

GrandPapillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 01:03 PM
  #15
Turrican*
Not a homer
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Stabmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,960
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandPapillon View Post
But it isn't just about re-signing Petro. The difference between what Paajarvi makes and what Perron makes is right around what Jordan Leopold is making. Does anyone remember Leopold in the playoffs last season? Need I say more. The Blues panicked and made a deal where they gave up the better player. Further what Paajarvi is supposed to become is just more of the same defensively responsible, offensively limited players the Blues already have a handful of. If one single, good thing was going to happen out of this trade, it was that Schwartz was going to get more time. Now, I don't think it is out of the realm of possibilities that Hitchcock overuses his old, reliable Morrow and takes minutes away from Jaden.

Perron will thrive in Edmonton. 60 points is a very realistic possibility. I think that the trade absolutely has the potential to be one of the worst in franchise history, and that is really saying something.
As an Oiler fan... Nothing will beat the Pronger trade for you guys. Absolutely nothing.

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 01:08 PM
  #16
GrandPapillon
Registered User
 
GrandPapillon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Southern IL
Country: United States
Posts: 849
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrican View Post
As an Oiler fan... Nothing will beat the Pronger trade for you guys. Absolutely nothing.
Probably not.

Although, even with Pronger, the teams during those days were going no where. Getting such a terrible return certainly didn't help the rebuild in the slightest though. The Ronning, Courtnall, Momesso deal may have cost the team a Cup.

I think you guys will be pleasantly surprised with how underrated several aspects of Perron's game are. The only thing that I think could stop him from succeeding in Edmonton is another shot to the head.

GrandPapillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 01:29 PM
  #17
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!
 
2 Minute Minor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Temple, Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 7,073
vCash: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandPapillon View Post
But it isn't just about re-signing Petro. The difference between what Paajarvi makes and what Perron makes is right around what Jordan Leopold is making. Does anyone remember Leopold in the playoffs last season? Need I say more. The Blues panicked and made a deal where they gave up the better player. Further what Paajarvi is supposed to become is just more of the same defensively responsible, offensively limited players the Blues already have a handful of. If one single, good thing was going to happen out of this trade, it was that Schwartz was going to get more time. Now, I don't think it is out of the realm of possibilities that Hitchcock overuses his old, reliable Morrow and takes minutes away from Jaden.

Perron will thrive in Edmonton. 60 points is a very realistic possibility. I think that the trade absolutely has the potential to be one of the worst in franchise history, and that is really saying something.
Get off it with Schwartz/Hitchcock. Hitchcock just raved about Schwartz and talked about moving him to the Berglund line to "get them going". He played on the top line as a rookie in last year's post-season. There is zero evidence of Hitchcock not trusting him or that somehow Morrow is going to steal his minutes.

Schwartz will get all the ice time he's earned. We'll see if Morrow has it in him to be a top line player. My suspicion is that he is SOME of the time, but won't hold up as the season wears on. Morrow bumped MPS, I could buy that argument. But Schwartz is being used in the same way Steen has been used....plugged into a line to get it back on track.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 01:37 PM
  #18
HooliganX2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 6,086
vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
Get off it with Schwartz/Hitchcock. Hitchcock just raved about Schwartz and talked about moving him to the Berglund line to "get them going". He played on the top line as a rookie in last year's post-season. There is zero evidence of Hitchcock not trusting him or that somehow Morrow is going to steal his minutes.

Schwartz will get all the ice time he's earned. We'll see if Morrow has it in him to be a top line player. My suspicion is that he is SOME of the time, but won't hold up as the season wears on. Morrow bumped MPS, I could buy that argument. But Schwartz is being used in the same way Steen has been used....plugged into a line to get it back on track.
I pretty much agree with this Schwartz ice time will be the same with or without Morrow.

I do see MPS as the one who will lose ice time because of Morrow. I know I have been down on the Morrow signing in general I do think Morrow is the better player to MPS currently. So I couldn't argue with Hitchcock giving Morrow more ice time the MPS.

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 01:42 PM
  #19
underslept
Registered User
 
underslept's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Poland
Posts: 1,001
vCash: 500
I expect Perron to perform a little better in Edmonton with their system. Probably hit 60 points once or twice the rest of his career with assists.

underslept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 01:58 PM
  #20
Steve Doan
Re-sign Elliott
 
Steve Doan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Eureka
Country: Tuvalu
Posts: 9,631
vCash: 50
Perron was always a good teammate and a hard worker. Yea, he took stupid penalties and was was guilty of trying to do it all himself more times than not, but I can't dislike him for that. He was always respectful to fans and seemed to genuinely love playing here, for that i will always root for him.

Steve Doan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 02:03 PM
  #21
Mike Liut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 5,419
vCash: 50
Hey DP, you seem like a nice guy and all, but as soon as you were traded I stopped caring about you.

Mike Liut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 02:22 PM
  #22
Mint
Registered User
 
Mint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,660
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
The difference I see is St Louis got a guy that fits their system and Edmonton just got the most talented player they could get....although I don't see how his presence puts Edmonton closer to being a playoff team. Seems the deficits on that roster are unchanged. (No knock on Perron, I just don't see this as a guy they were targeting trading for. The offer was too good to pass up.)
Because David Perron is a 2nd line winger while MPS is a 3rd liner. For a team that wants to compete, this is a positive move.

That being said, MPS seems tailor made for the Blues. Big, defensively responsible player.

Mint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 02:22 PM
  #23
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: hf retirement home
Country: United Nations
Posts: 52,292
vCash: 500
Oiler fan (I come in peace and brought brownies for you guys to eat)-- I am a huge Maggs fan and I think once he finds his game he will blow your socks and rock your world. Do not know why he is struggling with the Blues

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 03:15 PM
  #24
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!
 
2 Minute Minor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Temple, Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 7,073
vCash: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozwell View Post
Oiler fan (I come in peace and brought brownies for you guys to eat)-- I am a huge Maggs fan and I think once he finds his game he will blow your socks and rock your world. Do not know why he is struggling with the Blues
Sounds like he's been a little slow to pick up the defensive side of things (hard to believe, huh?). But this is pieced together from quotes, since no preseason games have been televised.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 03:45 PM
  #25
Quaz
Registered User
 
Quaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: St Louis
Posts: 327
vCash: 500
Even though the Perron trade helped free up cap space, I think the main reason for this trade was to free up playing time and power play time for Schwartz and Tarasenko, both of which the Blues like more than Perron. I think both Schwartz and Tarasenko will be better players than Perron in the long run, and I would rather see both of them eating up the PP time that Perron would have taken. MPS and a 2nd is a decent return. MPS is young and still has time to get stronger and round out his game. If we don't see Schwartz and Tarasenko get significantly more playing time this year I will be disappointed.

Quaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:17 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.