HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs win 3-1 vs Senators

Old
09-27-2013, 11:37 AM
Mrb1p

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxHabs24 View Post
Galchenyuk's two goals were when he wasn't on the EGG line. Coincidence?
One was on the BEG line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strat View Post
You might want to take a deeper look into what OCD actually is.

I get what you're saying, but Moen was signed to be a Prust-like player after he had played a great season (by his standards). He's turned into a coasting nobody. He has no offensive upside whatsoever, isn't the greatest in his own end, doesn't intimidate anybody, isn't overly physical in his play, and has a contract that is too heavy for a player whom could easily be replaced by any other dime-a-dozen physical 4th-liner.

Every team has a player whose contract is terrible, whether it be due to lack of production or the inability to fulfill the role he was entrusted to fill. Moen is it... until he's traded to some misguided team or his contract runs out. Then, it'll be somebody else.
Moen is one of the best PKER in the league.

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 12:05 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

I think Briere should flank Eller and Galchenyuk. His passing is needed on that line, as is his veteran presence.

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 12:07 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
I think Briere should flank Eller and Galchenyuk. His passing is needed on that line, as is his veteran presence.
Yup, +Gallagher would be an asset on both of the other lines imo. The DD line lacks combativity, give them a spark plug.

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 12:09 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Yup, +Gallagher would be an asset on both of the other lines imo. The DD line lacks combativity, give them a spark plug.
Therrien isn't going to try it any time soon, but I'd give it a shot. Only problem is that it would draw more attention to Desharnais in terms of puck distributor, which having Briere on the same line seems to be helping for now.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 12:17 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
I bet (hope) that will be the first line movement in the top 9 we see.

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 12:18 PM
Strat

Quote:
Moen is one of the best PKER in the league.
Uh, no. I'll have to respectfully disagree.

Strat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 12:18 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Therrien isn't going to try it any time soon, but I'd give it a shot. Only problem is that it would draw more attention to Desharnais in terms of puck distributor, which having Briere on the same line seems to be helping for now.
Before making changes he should give the current lines a chance. The DD line is prodicing very well, why mess with success? If the eller line struggles, I can see Prust or Bournival getting a shot at some point.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 12:19 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Cant agree more, but it wont happen as eller and galchenyuk are not considered top 6 (like..wow, but cant wait) and they definitely want briere in a top 6 role

if gallagher falters on the line maybe theyll try briere who knows

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 12:21 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Uh, no. I'll have to respectfully disagree.
He's a very good 4th liner by any definition. He can hit, fight, chip in a few goals and is very good on PK, plus he's a guy that's a leader and has won a cup. Yeah he had a down year, but smart hockey men don't dump players for nothing because of a down year, he has lots left in the tank.

Old
09-27-2013, 01:38 PM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
You say that because you've only seen (and wanted to see) the good Nygren. Perhaps he's actually not as good defensively as Diaz? Perhaps he's not as good a PMD? Perhaps he has a good shot but he's always going to shoot wide under pressure from checking NHL forwards? What if he never gets better than he is now, and what if he regresses?

Diaz is better than Weber because he's an NHL player and Weber isn't. Nygren isn't an NHL player yet so be careful. .....
The real underlying reason the Habs have a hard time competing is that they lack size, not skill. But this is not one of those "he's big, therefore he is better" opinions.

NHL hockey is 82 full tilt physical games, then up to 28 more at at least double that intensity. One of many elements in a grueling schedule like that is being the last man standing. Size, grit and durability are keys elements in winning, and it involves some luck.

Diaz played some great hockey until his injury last season. Smart, stayed clear of getting hit, moved the puck, and played well defensively. Since then, it has not been good.

That said, he still is not the right fit for this team. He is currently the best man for the job on the roster at the moment. The moment a better fit is available to the GM/coach, cap permitting, they must make that call and improve this team.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 01:48 PM
Strat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
He's a very good 4th liner by any definition. He can hit, fight, chip in a few goals and is very good on PK, plus he's a guy that's a leader and has won a cup. Yeah he had a down year, but smart hockey men don't dump players for nothing because of a down year, he has lots left in the tank.
He's not one of the best PK players in the league. That's what I was disagreeing with.

I don't find Moen to be overly physical. He's a veteran but he should lead by example. Thankfully, I see him more willing to fight this year which is an improvement. He's more than welcome to prove me (and others) wrong. He'll have plenty of opportunities.

Old
09-27-2013, 01:49 PM
otto bond

Noticeable last night where:

Moen had a decent game. I was a bit surprise and saw a little more jump in his game.

Price shut the door and that's what I want to see.

Eller was better but needs to win more face off and dish the puck more to his wingers.

Diaz is a smart player and good on the transition but man he is week physically

Markov looks better and what a smart PP guy. stay healthy boy!

Beaulieu will be a good player if he can get it all together.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 01:57 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
He's not one of the best PK players in the league. That's what I was disagreeing with.

I don't find Moen to be overly physical. He's a veteran but he should lead by example. Thankfully, I see him more willing to fight this year which is an improvement. He's more than welcome to prove me (and others) wrong. He'll have plenty of opportunities.
I guess it depends on what your definition is of "one of the best" is.

In terms of penality killing Moen is very good. In terms of being physical he finishes his checks every shift and hits pretty hard. I would put him in the top 15-20% of NHLers in terms og hitting and fighting.

I think he's the new Gomez so people are hard on him wether he does his job or not, which is unfortunate.

Old
09-27-2013, 02:16 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Galchenyuk's two goals were when he wasn't on the EGG line. Coincidence?
Only one of them, and yes, it's a coincidence.

What's not a coincidence is the EGG line playing its best game when they aren't used as the top line. It was obvious that they weren't ready for that role.
So when we dress a more complete roster and they're pushed back to 3rd line, well they look great. Surprise Surprise...or not really surprising..

What's surprising is Therrien doesn't seem to realize it. He said he had a meeting with them before the game, saying he needs more from them or wtv, but that wasn't why they weren't playing well. It's because they were used in a role they're not yet suited for.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 02:51 PM
FrontierPsyCHiatrist*
Master Pleks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
First goal: Prust got the assist. PGG line (BTW Eller wasn't playing)
2nd goal: Danny B made an amazing pass. GEB line

FrontierPsyCHiatrist* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 02:54 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
why is all this an issue... ?

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 02:55 PM
MonkeyBusiness

Quote:
What are you trying to pove? That line was one of our most dangerous all night long and had alot of opportunities. Eller and Chuckie have good chemistry, while we might see them split during the season I don't see a reason to change their line right now.

MonkeyBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 02:57 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post

What's not a coincidence is the EGG line playing its best game when they aren't used as the top line. It was obvious that they weren't ready for that role.
So when we dress a more complete roster and they're pushed back to 3rd line, well they look great. Surprise Surprise...or not really surprising..

What's surprising is Therrien doesn't seem to realize it. He said he had a meeting with them before the game, saying he needs more from them or wtv, but that wasn't why they weren't playing well. It's because they were used in a role they're not yet suited for.
Regardless of being the #1 or #3 line they have not played well.

If they faced tougher competition as #1 then that's a good thing. How is it a bad thing for a coach to challenge young players in preseason? If you never put guys in a tougher situation then how will you find out if they can give you more and how they respond to adversity?

Old
09-27-2013, 03:03 PM
CP31

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyBusiness View Post
Eller and Chuckie have good chemistry
Disagree

CP31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 03:18 PM
samsquanch9*

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyBusiness View Post
Eller and Chuckie have good chemistry
Disagree

samsquanch9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 03:19 PM
samsquanch9*

Prust+gallys>>eller+gallys

samsquanch9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 03:31 PM
Strat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
I guess it depends on what your definition is of "one of the best" is.

In terms of penality killing Moen is very good. In terms of being physical he finishes his checks every shift and hits pretty hard. I would put him in the top 15-20% of NHLers in terms og hitting and fighting.

I think he's the new Gomez so people are hard on him wether he does his job or not, which is unfortunate.
Sorry, but I highly disagree. I am not trying to sound insulting, but it looks like you and the other user don't watch a lot of non-Habs NHL hockey to say stuff like this.

I cannot verbalize just how wrong those statements are.

Old
09-27-2013, 03:31 PM
Alexdaman

I really don't like to make prognostics and observations about any aspect of the team in the pre-season. All veterans don't play with the same hunger and full commitment as rookies do. Some lines may try out some plays that they wouldn't in a regular season, the TOI of lines and players is all messed up, opposition from other team varies greatly and nothing is done to counter it.

There hasn't been a game this pre-season that I didn't see things that I was I can count as positive for this team. The pre-season is like the preparation a student does before an exam it doesn't count, you just try to work on things you feel you need working on, to me that matter is physicality. I've been very impressed with Tinordi and Moen and White seemed to play with a little more sense of urgency, Pacioretty laid some good ones and his presence was much more felt than last year.

Alexdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 03:33 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
2 things: subban is making me happy in my pants. Norris last year wasn't a fluke.

And 2: briere is making me very curious as to what he can bring this year. He's been very good in every line he's played. Bring on the season

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 03:33 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP31 View Post
Disagree
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsquanch9 View Post
Disagree