HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Nassau Coliseum Visitor FAQ

Old
05-28-2013, 12:48 PM
Cavonnier

vCash: 500
(Mods, please move this if I'm not posting in the appropriate thread.)

I've been living on Long Island for a little more than three years and back in January I started following the Islanders. I became hooked and also turned one of my friends into a fan.

We're considering buying partial season tickets for next season, but my work schedule prevents me from attending all weekend matinee games and even some Saturday night games. Looking at the plans they would have offered last year if it wasn't for the lockout, all of them had games I wouldn't have been able to attend.

Is there any chance the sales department might let me substitute games? If it means anything, I'd probably trying to trade higher-demand games (weekends) for lower-demand (weeknights) games. Or am I best off continuing to go the StubHub route, considering how cheap weeknight games were this year?

Cavonnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 01:35 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavonnier View Post
(Mods, please move this if I'm not posting in the appropriate thread.)

I've been living on Long Island for a little more than three years and back in January I started following the Islanders. I became hooked and also turned one of my friends into a fan.

We're considering buying partial season tickets for next season, but my work schedule prevents me from attending all weekend matinee games and even some Saturday night games. Looking at the plans they would have offered last year if it wasn't for the lockout, all of them had games I wouldn't have been able to attend.

Is there any chance the sales department might let me substitute games? If it means anything, I'd probably trying to trade higher-demand games (weekends) for lower-demand (weeknights) games. Or am I best off continuing to go the StubHub route, considering how cheap weeknight games were this year?
Call a ticket agent at the Isles and see if they're willing to be flexible with you.

08-14-2013, 07:58 AM
HockeyFan73
Rookie User

Visting hockey fan

Hey Islander fans!

I will be in NYC for New Years and figured it'd be a great time to catch an Islanders game since I have never been to one, so I am going to the Chicago game on 1/2/13. I have run into a bit of a traveling problem though. I will be staying with my GF at Columbia University. I have figured out that a cab is about a $200 round trip fare. And public transportation would be about a 4 hour round trip. I also looked into taking the subway as far as possible then catching the cab. It would still be about $80 round trip and still would take quite a long time.

Does anyone have any ideas? I was even thinking about renting my own car for the day if I could find a place that would let me return it at midnight or so in Manhattan.

Also, I am going to try to make a Devils game too so if anyone has suggestions for that one too it would be much appreciated.

Thanks! Good luck this season.

HockeyFan73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 08:13 AM
JTforPres2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFan73 View Post
Hey Islander fans!

I will be in NYC for New Years and figured it'd be a great time to catch an Islanders game since I have never been to one, so I am going to the Chicago game on 1/2/13. I have run into a bit of a traveling problem though. I will be staying with my GF at Columbia University. I have figured out that a cab is about a $200 round trip fare. And public transportation would be about a 4 hour round trip. I also looked into taking the subway as far as possible then catching the cab. It would still be about $80 round trip and still would take quite a long time.

Does anyone have any ideas? I was even thinking about renting my own car for the day if I could find a place that would let me return it at midnight or so in Manhattan.

Also, I am going to try to make a Devils game too so if anyone has suggestions for that one too it would be much appreciated.

If you want to go to Jersey, taking the train is easy and definitely the cheapest way to go. If you want to go to Coli, I'd say just take the LIRR to Westbury and call for a cab from there. That's really the cheapest and easiest way to go, as unfortunately there is no LIRR stop directly by the Coli.

The trip would be at most an hour each way...definitely the easiest, quickest and cheapest way to go. Hope this helps.

JTforPres2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 08:25 AM
Fantom

Quote:
Hey Islander fans!

I like the renting of a car idea. you should be able to return to someplace around Midnight.

Fantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 08:35 AM
Giuseppe Franco

Quote:
Hey Islander fans!

As you've discovered, the Coliseum is not exactly public transportation friendly. If you can rent a car I'd go for that. Far more convenient although driving in Manhattan is not for everyone.

Giuseppe Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 08:41 AM
HockeyFan73
Rookie User

Yea the planning hasn't been great so far on the transportation side of things. If public transportion is only an hour each way I could definitely live with that. Hopefully a place will let me return a car late though.

How hard/expensive do you guys think tickets to the Chicago game would be?

HockeyFan73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 09:17 AM
BorzNYI

Quote:
Yea the planning hasn't been great so far on the transportation side of things. If public transportion is only an hour each way I could definitely live with that. Hopefully a place will let me return a car late though.

not hard - not expensive (in relation to other arenas)

BorzNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 11:06 AM
crasherino

Quote:

From door to door, it would be longer than an hour. If you'll be up near Columbia, you need to allow over 30 minutes (closer to an hour) before your scheduled train leaves. Then you'd jump on the train to Westbury and then catch a 5-10 minute cab to the Coliseum.

Not a terrible way to go, but for planning purposes, if you want to make a 5:30ish train to Westbury (Mineola could work too) which will get you to the station around 6:20 (and give you enough time to jump a cab and get into the Coliseum), you'd need to leave the Columbia area around 4:45 to make sure you have enough time. Of course, you may be in Penn Station 20 minutes early and have time for a beer if everything works out, but you never know with delays, etc.

Also, for planning purposes, you are allowed to drink on the LIRR.

Its not the worst trip in the world and considering you would be faced with fighting rush hour traffic in the Winter if you decided to rent a car, I would go with the train route.

As far as tickets go, not hard at all. As the final year in the Coliseum, the team being better and the game being against Chicago, it might be a little harder than in the past, but getting a ticket will be the least troubling part of your adventure.

crasherino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 12:13 PM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Commute is easy peasy.

Take the 1 train downtown to 34th street (Penn Station) n then a LIRR train too Westbury or Mineola. Grab a cab from there. All in all it's probably an hour n 45 minutes door to door.

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 01:54 PM
enigmatic
Capuano is a stooge

if i were you i would do exactly as Riseonfire says above (on the way to the game)

1 train drops you directly under the LIRR....take train to Westbury (40 min or so) then take a 5 min cab for prob 10 bucks max....

I would then call a car service from the game back to the city....i have found car services for about 70 bucks right back into the city dropping me at my door from my house on LI (not far for the coli)

assuming you and your gf are both going to the game, it will cost you about 30-35 bucks anyway taking the cab/trains back....this will also allow you to throw down some beers in the parking lot before the game and during the game..have fun

enigmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 02:59 AM
bennitez7

Hi guys,

I'm planning a trip to NY and would like to visit the Islanders/Penguins game (3rd of december I think). Can someone tell me where I can get some tickets or when ticket sale will start? I was searching for tickets but I couldn't find any for this game.

Thank you very much for all answers in advance!

bennitez7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 01:11 PM
welshrangersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennitez7 View Post
Hi guys,

I'm planning a trip to NY and would like to visit the Islanders/Penguins game (3rd of december I think). Can someone tell me where I can get some tickets or when ticket sale will start? I was searching for tickets but I couldn't find any for this game.

Thank you very much for all answers in advance!
Stubhub.com if you want to buy them now.........or you can wait until tickets go on sale September 3rd on ticketmaster.com

welshrangersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 03:59 AM
bennitez7

Quote:
Originally Posted by welshrangersfan View Post
Stubhub.com if you want to buy them now.........or you can wait until tickets go on sale September 3rd on ticketmaster.com
Thank you very much.

bennitez7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 04:16 PM
flyinglizard045

Send a message via Skype™ to flyinglizard045
What row is glass seats, A or AA? I've been looking online for tickets and some tickets state its A, others AA. Would it vary by section?

flyinglizard045 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 05:08 PM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinglizard045 View Post
What row is glass seats, A or AA? I've been looking online for tickets and some tickets state its A, others AA. Would it vary by section?
There are no glass seats at Nassau, unfortunately. On the ends there's a walkway in front of you and the viewing angle sucks. On the sides it's not much better

GordonGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 10:38 AM
CHIP72

I know this is way in advance, but I'm giving thought to attending the Devils/Islanders Saturday 3/1/14 matinee at Nassau Coliseum. (I'd like to attend a game at the Coliseum before the Islanders move.) A few questions:

1) Will there be tickets available at the ticket office the day of the game? (I'm picky about avoiding service charges and also prefer actual tickets rather than print tickets - I hold on to my ticket stubs.)

2) I would take LIRR to near the Coliseum if I attend. If I don't take a cab from one of the nearby LIRR stations, how viable an option is a public transit bus from a nearby station? Also, which station(s) would work the best for a transit bus to the Coliseum?

3) Do the Islanders run any internet-only ticket specials, or are there any single game ticket specials available for Islanders games?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

CHIP72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2013, 10:32 AM
chuckdobbins

Coming down from Boston this Saturday morning, catching the game, staying overnight and driving home Sunday.

I'm looking for a casual lunch/dinner restaurant for pre-game and a bar for afterwards. We are staying at the Red Roof off the Zeckendorf exit of the Meadowbrook Parkway, a few miles from the arena.

From what I gather in this thread, options are extremely limited, so any help would be much appreciated.

chuckdobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 01:14 PM
RangerFan23

Hi all -

Ranger fan coming in peace. Wondering what time I would have to leave Manhattan by car to make it on time to the game Thursday (7:00PM start)? Not sure what traffic is like, etc.

Any help is much appreciated.

RangerFan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 01:40 PM
tag0519

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan23 View Post
Hi all -

Ranger fan coming in peace. Wondering what time I would have to leave Manhattan by car to make it on time to the game Thursday (7:00PM start)? Not sure what traffic is like, etc.

Do you have a GPS with traffic reports? If so, use it!! Honestly If I was u I'd leave at 5pm. If you get in early hit up Roosevelt Field and walk around a bit or grab a bite somewhere. My point is - traffic could really suck (or it could be good since its reverse)

tag0519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 01:48 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 234
Quote:
Hi all -

Like tag said I would leave around 5pm traffic on some of the parkways can be brutal and you probably will get there a little early but not way too early just go in and watch warmups.

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2013, 02:16 PM
Sparksrus3

Quote:
Hi all -

I live near the NVMC and work in manhattan. If you are through the midtown tunnel by 5 or over the 59th st bridge and on queens blvd by 5 you could get there by 615 -630. The grand central jams up between the lie and the van wyck so don't do it .be patient on the lie , get in the h o v lane at little neck pkwy And cruise to exit 38. Take northern state to meadowbrook pkwy to rt 24 west and you are there. The meadowbrook backs up too because of old country road exit, the mall exit, and rt 24east exit.

If there is an accident take union turnpike all the way to hillside ave. left on hillside. Right on glen cove road, then get on meadowbrook pkwy south and you are there. Shhh! Don't tell anyone or it won't be super fast anymore.

Sparksrus3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 01:09 AM
dahlenrules

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
There are no glass seats at Nassau, unfortunately. On the ends there's a walkway in front of you and the viewing angle sucks. On the sides it's not much better
How is the view from 105 A? Found seats for a game there.

dahlenrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 10:32 AM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Hi all! Likely going to Caps @ Isles coming up shortly after Thanksgiving, and have a few seating/arena questions.

1) Does the NVMC have Canadian beer (Labatt/Molson)

2) If so, which sections are next to the beer stands with those beers?

3) Which sections are next to the mens's restrooms?

4) Which sections are the visitor shoots twice side?

Thanks in advance!

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2013, 10:52 PM
banehardens

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
Hi all! Likely going to Caps @ Isles coming up shortly after Thanksgiving, and have a few seating/arena questions.

1) Does the NVMC have Canadian beer (Labatt/Molson)

2) If so, which sections are next to the beer stands with those beers?

3) Which sections are next to the mens's restrooms?

4) Which sections are the visitor shoots twice side?

Thanks in advance!
1. Yes, they sell both Labatt and Molson in 24 oz sizes for $14.50)

2. They are sold all around the arena. I know for a fact that they have them at the 'Brew House' carts located randomly all around the arena, but I am almost certain they have them at nearly every concession stand that has beer. You are never more than a 30 or so yard walk from getting either beer from any section at the coliseum so I wouldn't base seating on that.

3. Going to a normal bathroom is never a good idea at the Coliseum (especially during intermissions), you WILL miss at least part of the game (seriously, I've had friends go right at intermission and not return until nearly 5 minutes in to the next period). Your best bet is to run as soon as the period ends to the front smoking area ( by 305) and pee in the trailer bathroom located outside. Alternatively you can go down the staircase by the team store (by sec. 303 i believe) where there is a much less busy bathroom.

4. Between sections 303 and 323 is the half of the ice where the visitor shoots twice.

banehardens is offline   Reply With Quote