Closed Thread

Old
09-23-2013, 12:29 PM
tjziel

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesFan94 View Post
Not good for Whalers fans.
That sucks, I guess he can go to the AHL because he was drafted out of the USHL which allows him to go to the AHL. Ouch....

Old
09-23-2013, 01:10 PM
defensehockey19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjziel View Post
That sucks, I guess he can go to the AHL because he was drafted out of the USHL which allows him to go to the AHL. Ouch....
Yup, that one stings im sure.

Old
09-23-2013, 01:27 PM
ErieOttersNews
Connor Come Back

Caps have signed Connor Carrick to an ELC, he's as good as gone. That's a big hit for this Whalers squad, he would have helped out them quite a bit. Honestly I think the fate of them making or missing the playoffs at this point depends on if Wilson comes back or not.

Old
09-23-2013, 01:37 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieottersnews View Post
Caps have signed Connor Carrick to an ELC, he's as good as gone. That's a big hit for this Whalers squad, he would have helped out them quite a bit. Honestly I think the fate of them making or missing the playoffs at this point depends on if Wilson comes back or not.
Check the Yahoo Canada-NHL link for comments on Wilson,I thiink he stays in NHL too

Old
09-23-2013, 02:13 PM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjziel View Post
I did not know that Carrick was AHL eligible (Plymouth got him in a trade, so I did not know his background) so this news is quite a surprise. It certainly makes sense from Washington's standpoint, though. They would probably do the same thing with Wilson if the option was available.

Old
09-23-2013, 03:12 PM
Cfriss216

Yeah Carrick played with the U.S. National Team Development Program before choosing the major junior route. I really wanted to see him play one more year with Plymouth. Curcuruto and Peters are going to have to really step it up this year. So does this mean he will stick in the AHL this year? Or is there a possibility that he can at some point return to Plymouth?

Old
09-23-2013, 03:50 PM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cfriss216 View Post
Yeah Carrick played with the U.S. National Team Development Program before choosing the major junior route. I really wanted to see him play one more year with Plymouth. Curcuruto and Peters are going to have to really step it up this year. So does this mean he will stick in the AHL this year? Or is there a possibility that he can at some point return to Plymouth?
There is always the possibility of him being returned to Plymouth -- similar to Levi and Heard last year, and Devane the year before. It just depends on how much playing time he gets in Hershey.

Old
09-26-2013, 10:21 PM
Cfriss216

Whalers looked good in the first but the wheels came off after that. Lots of penalties taken on both sides tonight, looks like the Whalers are going to struggle with consistent offense throughout this year, even though they put up 5 goals...they just lack a full 60 minute effort defensively. The penalties that they had to kill early they looked good on, they were very aggressive and blocking shots. Plymouth scored two goals in the first, one off of a Rathgeb pp shot in which he got it off quickly. He looked better tonight, and has a cannon for a shot. The other off of a nice spin pass from Crus-Rydberg to Mistele for a tap in.

Still, the opposition outplayed the Whalers through most of the game, sometimes a little dominating, and the shots on net indicated that. Plymouth really needs to work on their breakouts more, and getting the puck over the blue line and getting shots off of a balanced attack. One of the goals against was a shorty in which the puck was turned over entering the zone. There also a play on one of Plymouth's last power plays in which Curcuruto was pretty much the whole forecheck entering the zone. Ned was not available tonight, and Riley Corbin gave up a couple soft goals. Didn't really matter though, as the Whalers had a few defensive breakdowns and not picking up a man, leaving Corbin out to dry.

Give credit where it is due though, the Petes had a nice bounce back game at hone after losing badly to Kingston in their home opener. Ritchie had a pair, and Devlin I think had two goals as well. He has a really nice shot and showed it on that 5 on 3.

Old
09-27-2013, 07:44 AM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Thanks for the recap. I turned on the radio stream at the start of the 3rd period, so didn't know how the Petes scored so many goals. Nice to hear that Rathgeb looked better -- with Carrick in the AHL, they will need him.

I do not think anyone is that surprised that the offense is struggling this early in the season. There are lots of new players that are getting used to both the OHL and Plymouth's system. This will be a work in progress for awhile.

Hopefully Bowman gets a chance in net the next time Ned is unavailable. It appears, though, that the team is going to really struggle when he's not between the pipes.

Old
09-27-2013, 12:33 PM
connor macdavid
Press Box Rat

vCash: 400
Feel free to follow along as the Whalers visit Ottawa to take on the 67's! Here's the game-day thread:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1504991

Old
09-27-2013, 05:43 PM
WhalerBlue

Anybody, other than me, a little concerned with results of the first three games? I am not in panic mode, but have my hand close to the button. 9 periods of hockey played and by all accounts, the Whalers have really only played 3 that were competitive. Lots of time in their own zone is killing them. Time to play 60 minutes and get a win.

Old
09-27-2013, 06:03 PM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhalerBlue View Post
Anybody, other than me, a little concerned with results of the first three games? I am not in panic mode, but have my hand close to the button. 9 periods of hockey played and by all accounts, the Whalers have really only played 3 that were competitive. Lots of time in their own zone is killing them. Time to play 60 minutes and get a win.
As I said earlier in the thread, I am not surprised by the slow start. Plymouth lost a lot of talent from last season, and there are a lot of players new both to the team and to the OHL. Also, they are missing two other players that they were hoping would be back -- Wilson and Carrick. Wilson, especially, leaves a big hole on the team. Finally, they are beginning the season with mostly road games, making it more difficult to get settled in.

This is going to be a work in progress, and the first half of the season is going to be a little rough. However, if Vellucci hit the mark on the talent of the players added, the 2nd half of the season should be much better.

After watching the team the last two years with all that talent and high expectations, I came into this year as a fan with a completely different mindset. This is a rebuilding year, and I would consider just qualifying for the playoffs as a success. Hopefully we will see enough this year to get our hopes up for another contending run next season. If the youngsters do not show promise, though, it could be a long next couple of years. I would be surprised if that happened, though, as Vellucci is very good as his jobs -- both GM and coach. We'll just have to show some patience and understanding as fans this year.

Old
09-28-2013, 01:23 PM
Cfriss216

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalers Fan View Post
As I said earlier in the thread, I am not surprised by the slow start. Plymouth lost a lot of talent from last season, and there are a lot of players new both to the team and to the OHL. Also, they are missing two other players that they were hoping would be back -- Wilson and Carrick. Wilson, especially, leaves a big hole on the team. Finally, they are beginning the season with mostly road games, making it more difficult to get settled in.

This is going to be a work in progress, and the first half of the season is going to be a little rough. However, if Vellucci hit the mark on the talent of the players added, the 2nd half of the season should be much better.

After watching the team the last two years with all that talent and high expectations, I came into this year as a fan with a completely different mindset. This is a rebuilding year, and I would consider just qualifying for the playoffs as a success. Hopefully we will see enough this year to get our hopes up for another contending run next season. If the youngsters do not show promise, though, it could be a long next couple of years. I would be surprised if that happened, though, as Vellucci is very good as his jobs -- both GM and coach. We'll just have to show some patience and understanding as fans this year.
Well put Whalers Fan, good teams in all 3 leagues have to go through a bit of a rebuild every few years. It's just the nature of the beast in junior hockey. This is a time to enjoy the new guys coming in and see what can develop. Some new players like Chatham and Crus-Rydberg have played at a high level already. Crus-Rydberg is already drafted and Chatham played Tier 1 juniors in the USHL last year. So expectations for them could be a little higher than someone like a Yannick Rathgeb. I think it will be satisfying if we get to see a player like Dunda (just a random example) turn into a good power forward two years from now. The only real disappointment I would have with this season is if they missed the playoffs. I think no matter if you're the 1st seed or the 8th seed, that experience goes a long way for the young guys.

The Whalers looked good last night, the best game thus far. There were a lot of penalties called on both sides, some were pretty ridiculous, but Plymouth's penalty kill looked good again. The power play looked more in sync as well, Ottawa just did a really good job at clogging the middle and blocking shots. Rathgeb is growing on me, as is Josh Wesley. Wesley played a simple game last night, he was in position and fed the puck up ice nicely in transition. Travis Konecny looked really good for how young he is, really fast and quick hands. Ottawa has a hell of a player in him.

Old
09-28-2013, 09:19 PM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

I caught the 2nd half of last night's game. Sounds like a parade to the penalty box for both sides. It was nice having Ned back in goal, and good to get a win under the young team's belt.

It will be interesting to see how Mahalak does against his old team on Sunday. He should be well motivated for this game.

Old
09-29-2013, 04:47 PM
Cfriss216

Great road game today in Kingston, they did what was necessary to win. Ned made some huge saves to keep Plymouth in the game, but I liked the response from the Whalers throughout the game. They were physical and had more control in the offensive zone than we've seen the past 4 games. Congrats to Yetman for getting his first goal this afternoon off of a nice move by Lorentz to get through the D.

I would like to add it's also nice to see Kingston playing good hockey, they have struggled especially come playoff time and that team could be dangerous in the Eastern Conference playoffs; so good on them. First meeting with Windsor on Thursday..should be a good one.

Old
09-29-2013, 05:27 PM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

I tuned into the radio stream in the 3rd period with the game tied 2-2. It sounds like Ned played an excellent game. The Whalers are going to need a lot of that this season, as he gives the team an advantage over most teams. Once the game got to a shootout, my money was definitely on Alex over Mahalak.

So, how did Mahalak look for Kingston? I did hear a comment on him having trouble controlling a rebound in the 3rd period. Boy, did that bring back memories.

Old
09-29-2013, 06:08 PM
Cfriss216

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalers Fan View Post
I tuned into the radio stream in the 3rd period with the game tied 2-2. It sounds like Ned played an excellent game. The Whalers are going to need a lot of that this season, as he gives the team an advantage over most teams. Once the game got to a shootout, my money was definitely on Alex over Mahalak.

So, how did Mahalak look for Kingston? I did hear a comment on him having trouble controlling a rebound in the 3rd period. Boy, did that bring back memories.
Haha yeah I hear ya! He has played pretty well for Kingston this year, both goals today weren't his fault, one was a broken play and the D got beat and in both goals there was a man open for an easy goal. He played well today, also made a nice stop on Crus-Rydberg in the shootout when he tried to deke 5 hole.

Old
09-30-2013, 03:36 PM
hockeylegend11

The washington Capitals announced their 23 man roster today and both Whaler players
Lw Tom Wilson and Dman Connor Carrick have made the squad,tough blow for the Whale

Old
09-30-2013, 04:49 PM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
The washington Capitals announced their 23 man roster today and both Whaler players
Lw Tom Wilson and Dman Connor Carrick have made the squad,tough blow for the Whale
Not a huge surprise that Wilson will start the season there. What remains to be seen is whether he will stay past his 9 game trial and burn a year of his ELC. I thought the Caps would assign Carrick to their AHL team, so that is a little more surprising. He could end up there yet, though.

In any case, I am happy for Wilson if he sticks in Washington. He's been a great Whaler, and I think he's going to be a heck of a professional hockey player. He has certainly worked hard to earn this spot.

Old
10-03-2013, 09:34 PM
Cfriss216

Ned played an all around good game, had a soft goal by Moore (credit to him for firing that real quick and accurately on net though) but the Whalers just couldn't create many scoring chances. Many of the shots came from areas where it wasn't really a threat. On to Saginaw tomorrow.

Old
10-03-2013, 10:43 PM
WhalerBlue

Other than Ned, we sucked. Plain and simple. Could be a long year for us. This team is not good enough now, to think that we will make the playoffs. That could turn around in mid season though. Had weak starts before and finished in the top four come playoff time. I have some concerns about a couple of rookies. Just wondering if they are a bit overwhelmed by speed of the OHL game. They must adapt to this or be the team left outside when it counts. If Ned keeps in some games and steals a few, his stock will only rise. We cant rely on anybody in our Division to be a pushover. We got a fight on our hands.

Last edited by WhalerBlue: 10-03-2013 at 10:50 PM.
Old
10-03-2013, 11:18 PM
Cfriss216

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhalerBlue View Post
Other than Ned, we sucked. Plain and simple. Could be a long year for us. This team is not good enough now, to think that we will make the playoffs. That could turn around in mid season though. Had weak starts before and finished in the top four come playoff time. I have some concerns about a couple of rookies. Just wondering if they are a bit overwhelmed by speed of the OHL game. They must adapt to this or be the team left outside when it counts. If Ned keeps in some games and steals a few, his stock will only rise. We cant rely on anybody in our Division to be a pushover. We got a fight on our hands.
The expectations this year aren't to win the west division or even finish in the top 4. That's what happens when you lose a lot of talent to the pro ranks. Windsor went through the same thing after 09, 10, and a great run in 2011. Yeah the Whalers have a reputation of being competitive and making the playoffs, but if you expect the same results we had the past two years...then yeah it will be a long year for you. The Spits are a team that could challenge for the West division this year and they looked pretty good in the offensive zone tonight. I think a great finish would be 6th. Other than that, I have no issue with finishing 7th or 8th this year. What rookies do you have concerns about? I for one think Mercer might be in over his head a bit. Rathgeb gets beat to the front of the net a lot, but I like what he can bring offensively. One rookie I do like though is Liam Dunda. I really like his size and if he can work on his skating and his puck skills, he can be a good one. He has the one ice work ethic, he is in the mix in the corners/tough areas a lot during the game. What do you think Whalerblue?

Old
10-03-2013, 11:35 PM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

Without Nedeljkovic's standout performance in the first two periods, Plymouth may have lost by double digits. He was awesome especially in the first half

Mistele's puck control leaves much to be desired. It appears whenever he's under pressure in open ice, he gets extremely nervous bobbling the puck. Love his north-south game and net front presence though

Old
10-04-2013, 08:27 AM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

It's good to read that Ned was strong in net last night. I did not catch the game, but wondered what happened after checking the score a few times and seeing a 1-1 game late in the 2nd period turn into a 5-1 loss.

Yes, this season is going to be much different than the past two. It reminds me of the rebuild years after Plymouth won the title in 2007. There were a couple of lean years, but some bright spots -- watching Tyler Seguin blossom, and Wedgewood's incredible playoff performance against Windsor during the Spits Memorial Cup run are the two that most quickly come to mind. We just have to look for similar things this year, and watching Ned in goal will most likely be the highlight for me -- I love to watch great goaltending.

Old
10-04-2013, 11:48 AM
CBJWhaler

I really hope that Washington really sees that 6 min a game for Wilson is not enough, and send him down he really would be a big help for us. Also Congrats to Carrick for his 1st NHL goal last night, he looked a lot more comfortable tonight than he did in Chicago.

On the game last night we looked really sluggish and got out played. I hope that Rathgeb will get it together on the D side and becomes a better 2 way player. I would like to see more out of Chatham as well.

Closed Thread