HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... The Sequel!!

Closed Thread

Old
09-27-2013, 04:52 PM
Runner77

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Watching the Goldbergs right now... it's terrible.
I expected a lot better. It's a badly dumbed down version of That 70s Show (and that was a dumb show but at least it had its moments). Nothing compelling, cheesy stereotypes, dubious acting -- I can't see The Goldbergs having any staying power.

Also caught Agents of SHIELD and Lucky 7.

Lots of pre-show hype for Agents of SHIELD. Turns out that all agents are super models. Who knew. Plus that overplayed line "We're in a position to do some good". Ugh. I was in a position to change channel and did.

Lucky 7 was the better show. At first, it's a little slow to get off the ground, the scenes are a little disjointed as one tries to find the basis of a connection between the main characters, outside of their winning ticket. But then, some of the characters exhibited serious flaws and were tormented by issues that are not going to be solved by throwing money at them necessarily. Makes me want to give it another look.

Old
09-27-2013, 04:56 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

On the BB debate, I'd like to see the male/female split on attitude towards Skylar.

My wife finds Walt annoying because he keeps secrets, I find Skylar annoying because she pries into Walt's secrets.

I remind her that she spends an hour behind a closed door in the bathroom every morning and after all these years she still refuses to describe exactly what goes on in there.

Old
09-27-2013, 05:07 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Any recommendations on Dexter? I loved that show from it's infancy but left it after season 5 because the writing was sliding and had been for some time.

Have heard mixed reviews , some say it got better some say it's become absolutely brutal.

Old
09-27-2013, 05:15 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
The wire is good, especially the first season. I also heard the 4th season was excellent, but I don't know personally. The 2nd and 3rd seasons dragged pretty hard at some points, I found it incredibly hard to continue.
Did you ever get to watch There Will be Blood?

I took your recommendation on The Men that Killed Kennedy and while only 3 episodes in (it's on Youtube) it's fascinating .

It's unnerving that a coverup of that size can be perpetrated over a civilization.

Old
09-27-2013, 05:17 PM
JackieChan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Any recommendations on Dexter? I loved that show from it's infancy but left it after season 5 because the writing was sliding and had been for some time.

Have heard mixed reviews , some say it got better some say it's become absolutely brutal.
Started out pretty good, season 4 was the best imo, then it varies between brutal and so-so. They switched writers after s4 and it showed.

The finale was all over the place, incredibly unsatisfying.

Old
09-27-2013, 05:26 PM
thom

You guys need to see rush the f1 movie about Hunt and Lauda a classic even if you dont like car racing.James Garner Grand Prix in 1966 is good too.Rush is a ron howard movie some of his are great and some fail but this one gets a passing mark.Its weird because there is no great american actors in movie but its written very well and acted well

Old
09-27-2013, 05:49 PM
WhiskeySeven
Give her the Defence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloumeister View Post
Doesn't like The Godfather, uses Family Guy to prove his point
Had Billy Ray, a working Hollywood screenwriter, come into my class today and talk about movies. He raved about Cabaret and in fact every movie from the 70s but said that the Godfather is beyond reproach. It is the BEST movie of all time.

According to him (and 80% of my other film professors)

But who knows?

Old
09-27-2013, 05:57 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Canada's Mod

Quote:
Did you ever get to watch There Will be Blood?

I took your recommendation on The Men that Killed Kennedy and while only 3 episodes in (it's on Youtube) it's fascinating .

It's unnerving that a coverup of that size can be perpetrated over a civilization.
I didn't .

I ended up watching 12 monkeys because it didn't seem as heavy and we were looking for something a bit lighter that night, and then my gf went back to school so there's less time for movies now. But it's the next one on our list, I promise.

The documentary is ****ing nuts. The farther you go into it, the more angles you start seeing the assassination from and the more it makes the government and secret service look really bad. The worst thing is how they still insist on the 'they shot him from the back of the head' theory.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
Old
09-27-2013, 06:18 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
I didn't .

I ended up watching 12 monkeys because it didn't seem as heavy and we were looking for something a bit lighter that night, and then my gf went back to school so there's less time for movies now. But it's the next one on our list, I promise.

The documentary is ****ing nuts. The farther you go into it, the more angles you start seeing the assassination from and the more it makes the government and secret service look really bad. The worst thing is how they still insist on the 'they shot him from the back of the head' theory.
It is amazing that only Jim Garrison, Oliver Stone and a british film crew thought to take a serious go at what is a most obvious conspiracy in American history.

You've given me good advice, I can only repay you by encouraging you to watch There Will be Blood. (jeezuz, I'm talking in Game of Thronespeak now)

Daniel Day-Lewis - Off the charts on the acting scale. Do it.

Old
09-27-2013, 06:31 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Canada's Mod

Quote:
It is amazing that only Jim Garrison, Oliver Stone and a british film crew thought to take a serious go at what is a most obvious conspiracy in American history.

You've given me good advice, I can only repay you by encouraging you to watch There Will be Blood. (jeezuz, I'm talking in Game of Thronespeak now)

I'll update once I've watched it. I think my girlfriend has the day off tomorrow, so I'll see if I can't squeeze it in then.

Get a chance to watch any of the other doc's I recommended?

Old
09-27-2013, 08:32 PM
DAChampion

The Fighter
Directed by David O. Russell
Screenplay by Paul Tamasy and Scott Silver
Rotten Tomatoes: 91%
IMDB: 7.9/10
Oscars: Best Supporting Actor (Christian Bale), Best Supporting Actress (Melissa Leo). Also nominated for Best Picture, Best Original Screenplay, Best Supporting Actress (Amy Adams), and Best Director.

Review by Roger Ebert:
http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/the-fighter-2010

Review by Peter Travers
http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/r...ghter-20101209

I picked up the blur-ray last week and I thought this was an incredible film. It tells an actual story, that of Micky Ward rising from mediocre fighter to world champion with the help of his family and girlfriend and trainer. It also tells the story of his entourage, particularly that of his brother Dick Eklund. It's just really compelling and exciting.

Since I've had Man of Steel on my mind for the few months, I was both impressed and sad by Amy Adams' performance. She simply rocked. Her character, Charlene Fleming (based on a real woman with the same name), had agency, a backstory, hobbies and various skills, drive (including sexual drive), direct and organic involvement in the plot. She was somebody I wanted to see more of and hear more about, in spite of the fact I never heard about her. Unfortunately, a far more interesting character than Lois Lane was.

Christian Bale... earned his oscar. It's really weird seeing that role from the man who did Batman Begins and American Psycho. It's a totally different role, and he nailed it.

Melissa Leo played the most compelling "crazy mother" I've ever seen on TV or film. Crazy mothers are for whatever reason quite real, and we never see them that way, or at least I don't. I thought this was a very strong portrayal.

I'm watching the commentary on the blu ray now. I like that they paid attention to detail. Christian Bale and Mark Wahlberg hung out with Micky and Dickey for a month to better emulate them. A lot of the events really happened, such as Micky meeting Charlene in a bar and being introduced by his father, an HBO documentary being filmed about Dicky and his drug issues, the mother giving more attention to Dicky than to Mickey. Apparently the real Charlene Fleming is still uncomfortable being in the same room as Micky's family. The cops really did break Micky's hand outside a bar fight, though the director says it's not known if this was intentional. Dicky Eklund really did follow that major fight of his brother from prison, with his mother detailing the fight over the phone.

They also hired a lot of local actors. ... and oh yeah they filmed in a town is unmistakenly a New England town. My family spent a lot of time in New England growing up, we'd go to Cape Cod nearly every year from 1988-1998... New England has a very specific look. You can't film a New England movie in Texas or Vancouver without looking dumb.

Old
09-27-2013, 10:56 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
You guys need to see rush the f1 movie about Hunt and Lauda a classic even if you dont like car racing.James Garner Grand Prix in 1966 is good too.Rush is a ron howard movie some of his are great and some fail but this one gets a passing mark.Its weird because there is no great american actors in movie but its written very well and acted well
Wow! Just saw it. I'm a huge F1 fan (much more than a hockey fan tbh) and this movie is unreal!!!! My GF who doesn't like racing absolutely loved it.

This movie is an instant classic. One of my very few 5/5 of the past few years.

Old
09-27-2013, 11:05 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
I'll update once I've watched it. I think my girlfriend has the day off tomorrow, so I'll see if I can't squeeze it in then.

Get a chance to watch any of the other doc's I recommended?
I will pick off the docs one at a time once I've made my way through
The Men who Killed Kennedy. Will get back to you. Weather is summer-like here so I might be out playing this weekend.

Old
09-27-2013, 11:44 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
You're right that Walt chose his course by willingly getting into the crystal meth business. But he made that decision at the height of desperation, right after getting a terminal cancer diagnosis. You could argue he wasn't in a mental state to evaluate the enormous shîtstorm he was about to stir up, plus he assumed he wouldn't be around much longer to suffer the consequences.
I don't know if you can argue this... the producers were very smart here and gave him a choice. He had his friends at GrayMatter who he could've gone to. That's what I would've done, it's what you would've done, it's what most (all) of us would've done.

Would it have been pleasant? Hell no. But I'd do it over cooking crystal and hurting people.

And don't forget... in the very first episode he says: "I'm AWAKE." There's no real conflict for him here. He doesn't even think about the damage he's going to be doing by manufacturing this poison. He just doesn't seem to care about it at all. And even in the first episode I found that to be very strange.
Quote:
But no matter how dumb the decision to cook meth, once he walked into that world, his fate was sealed. From episode-one, his relationships with the first dealer, Tuco (sp?) and Gus never allowed any wiggle room to walk away. The first two were psychopaths; Gus Fring threatened his wife, son and baby if Walt didn't behave. I don't see how Walt had any options other than kill or be killed. That's seasons one through three, I think, during which Walt saved Jesse's ass multiple times while being a whipping boy for multiple dealers, not to mention Mike. It was three seasons of Walt in survival mode.
He could've walked after killing the dealer in the basement. He didn't. He went to Tuco's and blew the place up... Multiple times he could've walked but he and Jesse didn't make enough money so there was always the next cook. Then he goes to Tuco.

Yeah, once he was hooked up with Gus he was trapped for a while. But after Gus he could've walked again.

As I said above, the producers were very smart about this. They kept giving him 'outs' where he could leave and he never does. He always makes the wrong choice.
Quote:
Once he takes over from Gus and becomes King, yes, Walt is temporarily on top of the world. He could leave, but doesn't. Here's his chance to build the empire he lost years ago with Grey Matter. It's Walt's huge ego finally showing what he can do. For this brief stretch of time (remember, the whole series takes place over a two year span) Walt is as close to evil as he gets. But then he does walk away. With everything in place and everyone offering to pay him even more, Walt chooses to walk away and rejoin his normal family life. And when faced with Hank's death, Walt chooses to give everything away to save him. Over five seasons and about two years, Walt makes a lot of big choices, and most of them were out of survival, fear or to save Jesse or Hank. Very few of his choices were directly evil.
His offer to save Hank was about the only thing that he's done that is remotely redeemable about him.
Quote:
As to Walt eliminating liabilities, he avoided harming Jesse for a long time, until Jesse actively, violently threatened Walt. And then Walt made the decision to, once again, kill or be killed. And I'll repeat that Walt was willing to lose his entire fortune in order to protect the biggest liability of all, Hank.
At the end of the day though... what does he do? He sends the kid off to be tortured. He knows what's going to happen to him and rubs salt in the wound by revealing what he did to Jane to boot.

He talks like Jesse's his family but how has he treated him? He's used him every step of the way, killing loved ones and putting others at risk. And don't forget the perimeter damage of the plane crash which is also (indirectly) Walt's fault as well.
Quote:
As I said in an earlier post, there's no right answer to this question of "Is Walt evil?". He's way too complex and contradictory to be defined by one word. But I'm pretty sure Walt's creator, Vince Gilligan, doesn't see him as evil. If Walter White was intended to be an evil character, he wouldn't be so conflicted with the evil all around him, which is at the heart of Breaking Bad's drama. Walt is written as a tragic figure, which wouldn't work as well if he was evil.
I think Vince Gilligan has gone out of his way to really show Walt as evil. He ever so slowly becomes worse and worse... Like protagonists in a Shakespearian play, Walter has a fatal flaw. It's his ego. His ego comes first and everything else is second. The fact that he feels bad about it afterwards is incidental. Okay, he feels bad. I'm sure a lot of guys in prison feel bad about what they did. But they did it.

I don't think anyone is truly evil (unless you include sociopaths and psychopaths here) and most can feel remorse. But remorse isn't enough. We all have tough choices to make but Walt chose evil. I alluded to this before... I think it's very ironic (and purposely done) that his name is Walter White. Maybe his soul isn't totally blackened but it's a very very dark shade of grey.

I do find it admirable that you're there to defend him though. I appreciate what you're saying but at the end of the day, I'd say WW is pulling one over on you. He's great at rationalizing his actions and to a certain extent they can be rationalized but I think he's very close to being irredeemable at this point.

Old
09-27-2013, 11:51 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
The wire is good, especially the first season. I also heard the 4th season was excellent, but I don't know personally. The 2nd and 3rd seasons dragged pretty hard at some points, I found it incredibly hard to continue.
The Wire was outstanding. And you really need to watch all the seasons because by the end you get a real sense of how the world really works.

Where do the drugs come from and how are they distributed? Who are the players? How do street kids become who they are? How corrupt is the system? What are the politics behind it and what are we doing to stop this? What's the media's role, are the school systems accountable? They cover all the bases and show how wrong things really are.

Freaking great show man.

Old
09-28-2013, 10:05 AM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:

Yeah loved there will be blood, ..very long but i walked out of there knowing 100% DDL would win that oscar, it wasnt even CLOSE, it was haunting to watch him, didnt see lincoln tho
(hell he should of won for gangs of new york too, robbed)

Old
09-28-2013, 10:32 AM
David_99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner77 View Post
Also caught Agents of SHIELD and Lucky 7.

Lots of pre-show hype for Agents of SHIELD. Turns out that all agents are super models. Who knew. Plus that overplayed line "We're in a position to do some good". Ugh. I was in a position to change channel and did.
Yeah SHIELD really let me down. I can make believe a world where gods and superheroes are real, but there's no way a model like that Skye chick would live in a van let alone be able to hack into SHIELD from a laptop. Where does she bathe? The YWCA?

Old
09-28-2013, 10:37 AM
Bloumeister
Certifiable

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
Yeah SHIELD really let me down. I can make believe a world where gods and superheroes are real, but there's no way a model like that Skye chick would live in a van let alone be able to hack into SHIELD from a laptop. Where does she bathe? The YWCA?
Silly wabbit. She showers at my place.

Old
09-28-2013, 10:40 AM
David_99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloumeister View Post
Silly wabbit. She showers at my place.
That's nice of you! I think its great. Every girl should have a gay friend.

Old
09-28-2013, 10:42 AM
Bloumeister
Certifiable

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
That's nice of you! I think its great. Every girl should have a gay friend.
Captain Kelowna also showers at my place

Old
09-28-2013, 10:45 AM
poetryinmotion

So Agents of the SHIELD was a disappointment? Yeah I hate it too where all the actors are ''models'' no matter who they are in the show because it takes away a lot of the credibility (like the Conan remake) and in most cases terrible acting.

Oh well, Arrow is still the way to go for anyone that wants to watch a real superhero series.

Old
09-28-2013, 12:22 PM
Dekar

I'm still reserving judgment for Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. just because I geek out at this stuff, so I may like it anyway. DLing now, will review upon completion!

Old
09-28-2013, 12:43 PM
JPGoHabsGo

any movie recommendations?

I like historical movies, or a good comedy.

Old
09-28-2013, 12:52 PM
Dekar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPGoHabsGo View Post

I saw The World's End in theaters a couple of weeks ago, that was pretty good for a comedy, even if it was a little weird.

Old
09-28-2013, 01:01 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPGoHabsGo View Post

This is the end (2013) is last good comedy i saw and comes to mind. Goon (2011) , though i would be surprised if many people on this forum have not watched it yet ;o
Movie 43 (2013) was surprisingly funny considering the terrible reviews it got ^^
if your standards are low for "good comedy", then there are tons of "good" comedies out there. Real "good" comedies are quite rare and hard to pull off.

watched The Slammin' Salmon (2009) again, must for people who like Broken Lizard crew (Super Troopers, Beerfest)

Historical as in actual fact full history flick or just as in movie with historic setting?

Last edited by uiCk: 09-28-2013 at 01:06 PM.
Closed Thread