HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pre #7|Friday, Sep. 27, 2013|Flyers at Capitals|7:00 p.m. ET

Old
09-27-2013, 10:22 PM
Curufinwe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Honest question: Do people think the system would change if Lavy was fired for Berube?
Surely they would bring in Murray if Lavi was fired and they wanted a stopgap goach.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 10:23 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

This is all on Snider and Holmgren for circling the wagons around Lavi. This is one time where I'm really mad that I was right about demanding all off season that both Bryz AND LAVI get canned. This team is so easy to play against. Jam my butt...more like molasses!

LAVI IS A BUM! All I keep picturing is Snider's stupid senile face endorsing Lavi just like he said he loved "the guy" Bryzgalov and that all he needed was defensive support. Dude needs to just go away with his Peter Pan crap...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 10:24 PM
bennysflyers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
I'm more mad at Homer then Laviolette. Just getting rid of Laviolette makes more sense then Homer at the moment and if the season goes badly in the middle of it.
I think if they start firing people, Holmer and Lavy are both gone and Hexy picks the new coach.

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 10:24 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
I think if they start firing people, Holmer and Lavy are both gone and Hexy picks the new coach.
To me, Laviolette is gone way before Homer. Homer has a lot more leeway. Like a hell of a lot more I think. We'll see though.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 10:26 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
Holmgren won't be fired...he'll "step down" and say how he lost his passion and needs to spend time with family. Then Snider will come out with his BS.

Old
09-27-2013, 10:26 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Surely they would bring in Murray if Lavi was fired and they wanted a stopgap goach.
Goach. That's the perfect word for what we have here. You have accidentally coined the ideal word.

09-27-2013, 10:27 PM
Devonator

Oh boy...talk about over reaction on this board....honestly people, it s pre season....means so so very little...lets see how the team does in its first 15-20 games before we go into panic mode....I expect far better from this team that has so much talent!

As someone that has watched Hockey for over the last 40 years, I never panic about the pre season and I would advise all of you likewise not to get so panic stricken over meaningless games.

Devonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 10:29 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devonator View Post
Oh boy...talk about over reaction on this board....honestly people, it s pre season....means so so very little...lets see how the team does in its first 15-20 games before we go into panic mode....I expect far better from this team that has so much talent!

As someone that has watched Hockey for over the last 40 years, I never panic about the pre season and I would advise all of you likewise not to get so panic stricken over meaningless games.
i remember these ^^^^ exact posts last year at this time..

dejavu says hello...

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 10:31 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:

I'm sorry but you are blind. This team under Lavi is unmotivated and lost already and it's plain as day. Normally, I would say it's too early to pass judgment so harshly as well but I've watched and played this game too long to not see some very troubling ongoing trends that won't be fixed overnight b/c it's a systemic problem....

Old
09-27-2013, 10:31 PM
OgbertTheNerd
what

Quote:

I like your attitude, but I can't help but be worried for what the future has in store.

OgbertTheNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 10:32 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:

If what we've been watching was unique to this preseason that would be one thing. It's not. We saw it throughout last season and beginning against NJ in the POs.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 10:36 PM
KaraLupin
카라

Didn't watch tonight, who is gonna be our starting goalie?

KaraLupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 10:37 PM
StandingCow

For those of you that are saying it's just preseason.... if we didn't have the season we had last year, I would agree with you. The problem is we are seeing the same exact problems from last year in the preseason this year already. What makes you think come the season they will all the sudden be better?

This system has not matched this team for a while now, and it has shown. How many goalies that did well on other teams (not making excuses for bryz) that do poorly here are we going to have to go through before we admit it's the system?

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 10:38 PM
OgbertTheNerd
what

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraLupin View Post
Didn't watch tonight, who is gonna be our starting goalie?
It's got to be Mason. Emery's been a little too Bryz-like this preseason, although he has made some good stops.

Old
09-27-2013, 10:45 PM
KaraLupin
카라

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevD10 View Post
It's got to be Mason. Emery's been a little too Bryz-like this preseason, although he has made some good stops.
Thanks, also what were the top 2 lines?

KaraLupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 10:54 PM
The Couturier Effect

A bad preseason and everyone's ready to jump ship.

The Couturier Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 10:54 PM
OgbertTheNerd
what

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraLupin View Post
Thanks, also what were the top 2 lines?
Hartnell - Giroux - Read
Schenn - Lecavalier - Simmonds

I forgot to say, that pass from Couturier to Hartnell on the PP was beautiful.

Old
09-27-2013, 10:55 PM
StandingCow

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan8828 View Post
A bad preseason and everyone's ready to jump ship.
Tell me, what have you seen that is different or improved from last season? Honestly, i'd like to know... any sign at all?

At least Read and Couturier look to have a good season.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 10:58 PM
Clown Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swic21 View Post
Our defense is fine on paper, it's this horrible system they play in. You can't tell me a top 6 of Timonen, Coburn, Mesz, Grossmann, Schenn, Streit should be this bad. No way. A new system is needed and it's obvious at this point.
Those are some pretty impressive names, if we take what you said at face value.

Timonen is 38. There's only so much he can do.

Streit is 36, average defensively, and to be honest with you I question his drive. He could have stayed with the Islanders for less. They made the playoffs last season, and did pretty well all things considered. Instead, he went to the highest bidder, and Holmgren was right there waiting for him with a guaranteed 20 million dollar contract. Not Streit's fault, but it is the nature of the beast, and he is content.

Coburn and Mez are so far gone from where they were it's not even funny. If these last two years are any indication, it's to the point they need to be sheltered, and Holmgren hasn't been able to find the horses to carry them. Again, it's not the players' faults for being in the situation they're in; their limitations are clear as day, at this point in their careers, and it's up to the general manager to recognize as much.

Grossmann and Schenn are both stay-at-home D. They're limited in how much they can support the play. Timonen and Schenn look like a good pairing, but Grossmann severely needs somebody to help him back there. Maybe Gustafsson will be that guy, and surprise the lot of us. There will be bumps until he proves he's legit, though.

What I ultimately see is a defensive group that's really underwhelming. It's not that they're necessarily underperforming. They're playing about as well as I'd expect after so much time off. Having said that, the defensive struggles are a culmination of an owner's restlessness, a general manager's repeated gambles, and an organization's inability to develop THE SINGLE MOST VALUABLE position in the game from within (defense).

It is what it is (until Gus, Ghost, Morin, and Hagg prove themselves.)

Clown Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 10:58 PM
The Couturier Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingCow View Post
Tell me, what have you seen that is different or improved from last season? Honestly, i'd like to know... any sign at all?
I wait till the games start to matter before I make any judgments.

Old
09-27-2013, 11:05 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan8828 View Post
I wait till the games start to matter before I make any judgments.
That's great and all but don't expect different results to the same mistakes and lackluster play come October 2nd and on. The games mattered last season and in the 11-12 playoffs too. I'm not ready to "jump ship" but considering many of us, myself included, wanted Lavi gone last year I don't think it should come as a surprise that when the team continues to make the same mistake and play like garbage fans continue to call for his replacement.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 11:18 PM
PK16

Quote:

I appreciate your optimism but what do you think is going to change from now to opening night? It seems kinda funny when these kind of comments are made, as though the team isn't trying in the preseason and/or struggling and all of sudden come the start of the season everything is gonna change. These are professional athletes that are trying to win regardless of preseason or regular season. Tonight's line-up with a couple of exceptions (I.e. Voracek) is the the team. With the exception of a few they looked pretty bad tonight.

Just sayin'

PK16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 11:19 PM
The Dream
User Registered

I know it is a different sport but in the 08 preseason the Detroit Lions went 4-0 with a point differential of +49. Then they proceeded to go 0-16 during the regular season with a scoring differential of -249. Lets just remember this is the preseason. But, I am not a fan of Lavi's system and if the Flyers are not looking too good 1/3 of the way into the season, he might get fired and maybe Homer will go too. But, until the regular season starts just relax.

The Dream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 11:24 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpinheiro4 View Post
I know it is a different sport but in the 08 preseason the Detroit Lions went 4-0 with a point differential of +49. Then they proceeded to go 0-16 during the regular season with a scoring differential of -249. Lets just remember this is the preseason. But, I am not a fan of Lavi's system and if the Flyers are not looking too good 1/3 of the way into the season, he might get fired and maybe Homer will go too. But, until the regular season starts just relax.
Someone brought up a stat that said something like a team has never made the post season without at least getting 25 percent of the total possible points in the preseason and this is hockey we are talking about not football. Again preseason may not be a perfect indication of what the regular season will hold for various reasons but lets not pretend it's meaningless like others have said repeatedly in this thread.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 11:25 PM
The Couturier Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK16 View Post
I appreciate your optimism but what do you think is going to change from now to opening night? It seems kinda funny when these kind of comments are made, as though the team isn't trying in the preseason and/or struggling and all of sudden come the start of the season everything is gonna change. These are professional athletes that are trying to win regardless of preseason or regular season. Tonight's line-up with a couple of exceptions (I.e. Voracek) is the the team. With the exception of a few they looked pretty bad tonight.

Just sayin'
And this was one game with that team. It's a small sample size. For all we know, it could just be a bad game. If this trend continues into the season, I'll start to panic and call for Lavi's head with everyone else.