HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pre #7|Friday, Sep. 27, 2013|Flyers at Capitals|7:00 p.m. ET

Old
09-27-2013, 11:31 PM
PK16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan8828 View Post
And this was one game with that team. It's a small sample size. For all we know, it could just be a bad game. If this trend continues into the season, I'll start to panic and call for Lavi's head with everyone else.
How many games have we won in the preseason? The concern is not necessarily about just this game.

I do agree that we should not be looking to replace the coach due to a bad preseason record. And we should wait to see how the start of the season goes. My point was that i agree that we should not totally dismiss what has happened in the preseason, as others have suggested.

PK16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 11:43 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

I'm really glad we could keep Read. I was afraid he would price himself out.

He almost doesn't have bad games. He's generally either solid or good.

09-28-2013, 12:18 AM
Jtown

After tonight It seems to me that Simmonds is not himself of late. As great as he is on the PP he really stagnated any sort of puck movement.

I think a top six of Hartnell Giroux Read, with Voracek Schenn and Vinny would look nice.

Jtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 12:18 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
I haven't heard a good coke machine joke in a while...I summon you Beef.
How about "Laviolette has shown he can't adjust. I get better change from a Coke machine."

"This team is as flat as selection 4D from a 1975 Coke machine."

"My confidence in this team has been shaken more than a Coke machine outside a fat farm."

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 12:23 AM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
How about "Laviolette has shown he can't adjust. I get better change from a Coke machine."

"This team is as flat as selection 4D from a 1975 Coke machine."

"My confidence in this team has been shaken more than a Coke machine outside a fat farm."
You get a solid A. Sorry Beef.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 12:23 AM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

Who is a better coach out there than Laviolette? The possible choices are ****ing terrible. Terry Murray? Joe Sacco? No ****ing thanks. Im not worried just yet.

SchennSational1022* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 12:26 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
You get a solid A. Sorry Beef.
Woohoo. If stop posting for a few days, please send a SWAT team to Beef's back shed.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 12:30 AM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

Everyone has a right to be concerned... but lets wait for the ACTUAL regular season to begin. I'm certainly not ready to go into panic mode yet, but if this team struggles out of the gate, heads will probably roll.

...starting with Lavy

Sniped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 12:50 AM
Krazed Flyer
Aim for the Head

what happened tonight? I wasnt able to find a radio station...

Krazed Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 12:56 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Sooo...should I not pay for that hockey streams thing?

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 01:30 AM
McNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
After tonight It seems to me that Simmonds is not himself of late. As great as he is on the PP he really stagnated any sort of puck movement.

I think a top six of Hartnell Giroux Read, with Voracek Schenn and Vinny would look nice.
He missed a bit of time with the flu, I'm not worried about Simmonds.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 01:30 AM
Larry44
10 - 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingCow View Post
For those of you that are saying it's just preseason.... if we didn't have the season we had last year, I would agree with you. The problem is we are seeing the same exact problems from last year in the preseason this year already. What makes you think come the season they will all the sudden be better?

This system has not matched this team for a while now, and it has shown. How many goalies that did well on other teams (not making excuses for bryz) that do poorly here are we going to have to go through before we admit it's the system?
Only got to watch part of the first and end of 3rd, but I was not impressed with Rinaldo starting a war by nailing Grabo in an ex game. After that ,someone ran Kimmo and then Grossmann probably got another concussion. I guess there were a bunch more fights, but really, we don't need to have Brayden Schenn, Hartnell and Simmonds fighting for no reason.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 01:35 AM
OgbertTheNerd
what

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
Sooo...should I not pay for that hockey streams thing?
Yes. They're just toying with us this preseason. I think the team just misses Shelley. Maybe Holmgren can pull him out of retirement?

OgbertTheNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 01:41 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Holmgren won't be fired...he'll "step down" and say how he lost his passion and needs to spend time with family. Then Snider will come out with his BS.
Snider never would of fired Clarke. Holmgren will leave when he is ready to leave. If Holmgren and Lavi survived the offseason after missing the playoffs then i think its going to take more then just a slow start to get someone fired.
But I agree. If "heads start rolling" then Lavi will go first.

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 08:00 AM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenbergg View Post
Who is a better coach out there than Laviolette? The possible choices are ****ing terrible. Terry Murray? Joe Sacco? No ****ing thanks. Im not worried just yet.
Murray would insist on defensive discipline and implement a good breakout system and those are the two major problems with this team.

Curufinwe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 08:46 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenbergg View Post
There are quite a number of good coaching candidates available that are better than Laviolette. Look no further than the AHL for coaching candidates. Luke Richardson of the Binghamton Senators is someone who is putting together an awesome resume. He's done a fantastic job there. Mike Haviland in Hershey is another guy who's also done a great job in the AHL. Trent Yawney, Bruce Cassidy, Roy Sommer, Dean Evason, Ken Gernander, Kurt Kleinendorst, and John Anderson are also viable coaching candidates.

There's also a ton of junior hockey coaches who could make the jump to the pro level with no problems either. There's lots of good coaching prospects available. Laviolette should have been fired this summer, but it's pretty clear that Holmgren has his cart attached to Laviolette and you can bet that if the Flyers get out to a slow start, Laviolette's a goner and Holmgren might be following suit.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 09:12 AM
Four Boilermakers
Sea Bass said that?

Guys, don't worry. Giroux said they played fine, but they just didn't believe in themselves enough to get the win.

Four Boilermakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 09:23 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
RT @NHLShanahan: Part1 Rinaldo/Grabovski: Rule 48 reads in part, "whether the opponent put himself in a vulnerable position by... http://t.co/dJ2f2T8bVK

RT @NHLShanahan: Part2 ...assuming a posture that made head contact on an otherwise full body check unavoidable" shall be considered.

RT @NHLShanahan: After further review, Rinaldo stays low. Elbow is tucked. Does not charge. No supplemental discipline warranted.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 09:26 AM
OgbertTheNerd
what

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
RT @NHLShanahan: Part1 Rinaldo/Grabovski: Rule 48 reads in part, "whether the opponent put himself in a vulnerable position by... http://t.co/dJ2f2T8bVK

RT @NHLShanahan: Part2 ...assuming a posture that made head contact on an otherwise full body check unavoidable" shall be considered.

RT @NHLShanahan: After further review, Rinaldo stays low. Elbow is tucked. Does not charge. No supplemental discipline warranted.
Yea, I thought that was a clean hit. I haven't seen anyone talk about the Volpatti hit on Grossmann in the corner. It looked like Volpatti jumped into Grossmann's head.

OgbertTheNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 09:33 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
There are quite a number of good coaching candidates available that are better than Laviolette. Look no further than the AHL for coaching candidates. Luke Richardson of the Binghamton Senators is someone who is putting together an awesome resume. He's done a fantastic job there. Mike Haviland in Hershey is another guy who's also done a great job in the AHL. Trent Yawney, Bruce Cassidy, Roy Sommer, Dean Evason, Ken Gernander, Kurt Kleinendorst, and John Anderson are also viable coaching candidates.

There's also a ton of junior hockey coaches who could make the jump to the pro level with no problems either. There's lots of good coaching prospects available. Laviolette should have been fired this summer, but it's pretty clear that Holmgren has his cart attached to Laviolette and you can bet that if the Flyers get out to a slow start, Laviolette's a goner and Holmgren might be following suit.
They're not going to take someone coaching in another organization. That ship sailed. Look for guys who were also already fired or who will be fired.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 09:59 AM
mantis toboggan

Sure we have had a terrible preseason, but if you think about it, we've only had like 2 games where all the regulars have been in the lineup. All the other games we only had 6-7 regulars in. Just trying I have some optimism...

mantis toboggan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 10:05 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantis toboggan View Post
Sure we have had a terrible preseason, but if you think about it, we've only had like 2 games where all the regulars have been in the lineup. All the other games we only had 6-7 regulars in. Just trying I have some optimism...
You will realize very quickly that this is not allowed to occur on here. I try to be as optimistic as I can, and not put all that much stock into preseason action. I understand that we didn't play too well in the preseason and it's a little troublesome, but people are already calling for a coaching change and Homer to "step down" when a meaningful game has yet to be played in the 13-14 season. I am hoping they come out firing on all cylinders and are completely healthy to begin the year, and would like to see everyone's opinion on the personnel then.

Now if they come out stumbling and can't put forth a complete game, then I will say it might be time to make a move. I am not saying after the first 5 games either, I need to see more than that with the healthy and new line up. Say 20-25 games in, if we are hovering around .500 or even lower, then make a move.

EDIT: See you joined in 2009, just saw your post count. You are fully aware of the level of doom and gloom around here.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 10:35 AM
mantis toboggan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
You will realize very quickly that this is not allowed to occur on here. I try to be as optimistic as I can, and not put all that much stock into preseason action. I understand that we didn't play too well in the preseason and it's a little troublesome, but people are already calling for a coaching change and Homer to "step down" when a meaningful game has yet to be played in the 13-14 season. I am hoping they come out firing on all cylinders and are completely healthy to begin the year, and would like to see everyone's opinion on the personnel then.

Now if they come out stumbling and can't put forth a complete game, then I will say it might be time to make a move. I am not saying after the first 5 games either, I need to see more than that with the healthy and new line up. Say 20-25 games in, if we are hovering around .500 or even lower, then make a move.

EDIT: See you joined in 2009, just saw your post count. You are fully aware of the level of doom and gloom around here.
Yea I've seen my fair share of the negative attitude around here over the past few years, I may not post all that much but I lurk around the forums a lot. I can understand people were upset last year and didn't have much optimism, I didn't either. But it's a whole new year, and the way I see it we've only played 2 games with most of our regulars. Sure we lost, but to call for a coaching and GM change already is just silly. I personally think they will come out strong in the season opener (at least I hope so because ill be there!) and be a lot better when the games actually matter. On the other hand they could come out sputtering like last year, which ill admit Im a little worried will happen. But I'm trying to have some optimism, because it's no fun to be all negative. I'm excited as **** for this season

mantis toboggan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 10:56 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post

See, I do think there is a difference between being negative and being realistic. I dont think they should make a move but something needs to be fixed before the season starts. One can say its only preseason, but there is no such thing as "flipping the switch". The team, in preseason, was trying to win but couldnt. The system Lavy plays is severely flawed because it has no defensive input in it.

Am I going to freak out yet? Not at all. But to say everything is fine because it's preseason means one just has blinders on. They are playing THE EXACT SAME WAY they did last season.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 11:19 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
See, I do think there is a difference between being negative and being realistic. I dont think they should make a move but something needs to be fixed before the season starts. One can say its only preseason, but there is no such thing as "flipping the switch". The team, in preseason, was trying to win but couldnt. The system Lavy plays is severely flawed because it has no defensive input in it.

Am I going to freak out yet? Not at all. But to say everything is fine because it's preseason means one just has blinders on. They are playing THE EXACT SAME WAY they did last season.
The problem with a lot of people on this board is you aren't allowed to be a realist if your POV sees the Flyers in a negative light. If you say something "bad," you open up the flood gates for a bunch of people calling you a terrible, clueless fan.

I love the Flyers, but he fact of the matter is this team is not very good. At least, not a legit contender for a few more years. We may squeak into the playoffs as a bottom seed, but don't expect a deep playoff run. The system Lavy is implementing is terrible for this roster. We have a good crop of forwards and I think we have a decent blue line (even though it is missing that #1 stud), but our forwards aren't strong enough defensively for this system.

Unless Lavy brings in a new system, or we he gets fired, I see no real reason to be highly optimistic this season

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote