HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Carey Price Discussion Thread (Part 5)

Closed Thread

Old
09-24-2013, 07:47 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by drakaar10iemechx2012 View Post
Yes his problem is he gives up a deflection goal per game.
I have never seen a goalie give up so many weak goals and it's always the first goal against.
Deflection goal =\= a weak goal. Clear evidence you've never played the position..

Agreed with an above poster to go back to vaughn.. Best goalie equipment ot there.. Ccm sucks

Old
09-24-2013, 09:29 AM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Actually Price is very strong using his leg pads, his footwork is the best part of his game. He's got other problems though.
We've got a compliment ladies and gentleman ! Were getting there.

Old
09-24-2013, 09:30 AM
MTLSandman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Deflection goal =\= a weak goal. Clear evidence you've never played the position..

Agreed with an above poster to go back to vaughn.. Best goalie equipment ot there.. Ccm sucks
You do realise all their equipment is custom made specifically for them and the only difference is the logo on the front right? He isn't wearing the same stuff you guys buy in the stores lol, every NHL goalie gets exactly the pad they want, then they just slap a logo and pattern to represent the ones in the store so you go buy them....

Old
09-24-2013, 09:31 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Brodeur let in a bunch of softies but a bunch of people here are saying he was good....Imagine if Price let those in??

waffledave
Old
09-24-2013, 10:48 AM
Captain Saku

I hope Price have a great season. He's been alright in the preseason so far but he's still letting in the same type of goals. We tend to excuse a goalie when he let's in a deflection but Price let's in too many of them and I don't have an explanation for that.

Old
09-24-2013, 10:53 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Saku View Post
I hope Price have a great season. He's been alright in the preseason so far but he's still letting in the same type of goals. We tend to excuse a goalie when he let's in a deflection but Price let's in too many of them and I don't have an explanation for that.
"He let's in too many deflection goals"

I seriously am scratching my head as to why that is a bad thing. If deflection goals are now considered weak goals, people really have no clue what they are talking about and are officially grasping as straws to whine.

Last edited by Andy: 09-24-2013 at 11:31 AM.
Old
09-24-2013, 10:58 AM
JohnLennon

It has become obvious that people don't watch hockey games apart from Habs games. Deflection goals happen way more than you think, and they're not exactly the goalie's fault...

Old
09-24-2013, 11:27 AM
Mrb1p

Deflections/screens are the most likely play to be successful against a good goalie

Old
09-24-2013, 11:37 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

with the "deflection goal" talk.

Really guys, this is the part of his game to pick on?

Old
09-24-2013, 11:44 AM
Price My Man Crush

Quote:
My god we need an entrance exam for this website.

Old
09-24-2013, 12:41 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Deflections/screens are the most likely play to be successful against a good goalie
Yup and if price is "giving" up too many of them.. Its a good indication that our defense is not moving screens or fronting deflection threats near the net.

Old
09-28-2013, 11:28 AM
Gally11

Seen an interview on RDS with Price, they asked him if Waite has worked on anything specific with him so far he said he has. He said Waite has been working on him with his lateral movement, instead of sliding across in butterfly he's coming across on his feet now, enabling him to be more ready for the next shot instead of sliding to far across

Old
09-28-2013, 11:33 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gally11 View Post
Seen an interview on RDS with Price, they asked him if Waite has worked on anything specific with him so far he said he has. He said Waite has been working on him with his lateral movement, instead of sliding across in butterfly he's coming across on his feet now, enabling him to be more ready for the next shot instead of sliding to far across
Interesting... Whitesnake brought this up last year a fair bit. Guess the new coach agreed with him. Personally I like this move. Hopefully it works out.

Old
09-28-2013, 11:34 AM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gally11 View Post
Saw that, was so happy to hear that. I noticed lately that Price was sliding too far, so many times he would slide and make the first save, but would loss his net, be out of position big time.

Old
09-28-2013, 11:53 AM
habsfanatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Interesting... Whitesnake brought this up last year a fair bit. Guess the new coach agreed with him. Personally I like this move. Hopefully it works out.
I seen it too, not convinced it was a technique issue though, I think when Price gets struggling a bit he puts way too much pressure on himself, I think his confidence got in a funk and he was simply trying to over compensate.

Old
09-28-2013, 11:54 AM
habsfanatics

Quote:
Yup and if price is "giving" up too many of them.. Its a good indication that our defense is not moving screens or fronting deflection threats near the net.
He' not giving up too many of them, this is just posters who have no idea what they are talking about.

Old
09-28-2013, 12:26 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
I seen it too, not convinced it was a technique issue though, I think when Price gets struggling a bit he puts way too much pressure on himself, I think his confidence got in a funk and he was simply trying to over compensate.
As a goaltender, yes, there are some technique issues. Not necessarily that his technique is FLAWED but merely technique he was attempting to employ is a FLAWED CONCEPT.

He's still doing it in the pre-season. I imagine it won't go away over night and that Waite will get rid of it over time. He's going down onto his knee that is on the strong side of the puck. Problem with this? He's not loading on his skate for any passes out front or to the far side of the net. Which leaves him dead in the water to make any save that requires explosive movements in those directions.

Old
09-28-2013, 12:34 PM
WhiskeySeven
Mr. Worldwide

I'm not a goalie so I can't decipher those minor technique changes but overall, throughout his Habs career, he hasn't really "gotten better". And I think that's what worries and upsets most of his detractors today.

There's hasn't been a visible change in stance or intensity or whatever and that is likely why he has so many doubters. I don't think it's wrong for him to have doubters either - he's on a gigantic contract and he hasn't done much of anything in the playoffs. I believe in his talent but he's gotta carry us sooner or later.

Old
09-28-2013, 12:39 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
I'm not a goalie so I can't decipher those minor technique changes but overall, throughout his Habs career, he hasn't really "gotten better". And I think that's what worries and upsets most of his detractors today.

There's hasn't been a visible change in stance or intensity or whatever and that is likely why he has so many doubters. I don't think it's wrong for him to have doubters either - he's on a gigantic contract and he hasn't done much of anything in the playoffs. I believe in his talent but he's gotta carry us sooner or later.
I still don't think we're built for the playoffs. I don't think Price (or anyone else) can carry this team anywhere to other than maybe a couple of rounds at best - and to do this he'd have to be awesome. We've got more top end talent than we've had in years but we need to be bigger up front and we need at least one real shutdown guy. Until that happens I don't see us going anywhere.

Old
09-28-2013, 01:01 PM
Gally11

Quote:
I still don't think we're built for the playoffs. I don't think Price (or anyone else) can carry this team anywhere to other than maybe a couple of rounds at best - and to do this he'd have to be awesome. We've got more top end talent than we've had in years but we need to be bigger up front and we need at least one real shutdown guy. Until that happens I don't see us going anywhere.

Yeah I agree with this, I'm hoping Tinordi's development continues on this pace and in the next year or two he becomes that shutdown guy.. If him and Subban can gel it has potential to be one of the best pairings in the league in the next few years...

Up front this year I'm fine with DD and Gionta because there's no replacements but I want to see them phased out over the next few years as well and start building this team for a playoff run.

Old
09-28-2013, 01:08 PM
Lebowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLSandman View Post
You do realise all their equipment is custom made specifically for them and the only difference is the logo on the front right? He isn't wearing the same stuff you guys buy in the stores lol, every NHL goalie gets exactly the pad they want, then they just slap a logo and pattern to represent the ones in the store so you go buy them....
Not quite... The models are the same for everyone. Anybody that wants a custom pair of X brand of pads can have one... You just have to be willing to pay your left nut for it. The customization, for the most part, starts and stops with additional padding.

CCM/Reebok/Vaughn don't develop a whole new set of pads for every custom order out there, even if it's for Carey Price.

Old
09-28-2013, 01:08 PM
Gustave

Quote:
Quick thought about your assessment: What you say is true regarding our limited potential on succes in the PO. However, one thing that I like about this year's make up is the depth on our D squad and bottom line. Instead of just rolling out the same lines and pairs every night, we'll be able to adjust when facing different teams. It'll be nice for once to be able to take into account who we are facing instead of sending players that don't necessarily have what it takes to face different styles. Size when we need it and skill when we need it. Should be interesting.

Back to Price dramatics.

Old
09-28-2013, 01:09 PM
CP31

I agree with the "not built for playoffs" as well.

Old
09-28-2013, 01:13 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustave View Post
Quick thought about your assessment: What you say is true regarding our limited potential on succes in the PO. However, one thing that I like about this year's make up is the depth on our D squad and bottom line. Instead of just rolling out the same lines and pairs every night, we'll be able to adjust when facing different teams. It'll be nice for once to be able to take into account who we are facing instead of sending players that don't necessarily have what it takes to face different styles. Size when we need it and skill when we need it. Should be interesting.

Back to Price dramatics.
I could be wrong about the backend. Maybe Murray is the answer, maybe Tinordi can do it this season... I hope so. I just don't have a whole lot of confidence in this group. At least our blueline is mobile and can score.

Up front, same old story.

Old
09-28-2013, 01:44 PM
JPGoHabsGo

any idea when the cycle goes full circle and TSN can re-broadcast this and it will be almost 100% relevant

Closed Thread