HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Mark Giordano to the islanders

Old
09-28-2013, 11:43 AM
startainfection*

vCash: 500
Mark Giordano to the islanders

idk anything about him other than what i have seen in highlights

but where does he rank as dmen, like is he 1st, 2nd or 3rd pairing dman, I'm assuming the flames are interested in futures so I'm sure some islander prospects and picks are available but what would be the asking price for him?

startainfection* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 11:46 AM
Gliff
Kesbae

vCash: 1075
He was just named captain like 2 weeks ago. Thats all you need to know.

Gliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 11:49 AM
startainfection*

damn it

Old
09-28-2013, 12:02 PM
Flames rebuilder

Don't think he's going anywhere, yet but for discussion....maybe Pulock and Lee for Gio

Flames rebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 12:07 PM
Canadian Canuck
FIRE BENNING

vCash: 100
He was just named captian so he is NOT being traded...

For discussion maybe Strome and Donavan.

Canadian Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 12:17 PM
startainfection*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanucks1 View Post

how good is giordano where this is an acceptable asking price?

Old
09-28-2013, 12:19 PM
Canadian Canuck
FIRE BENNING

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by startainfection View Post
how good is giordano where this is an acceptable asking price?
He was just named captain so it would take an overpayment

Canadian Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 12:25 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 55
Quote:

Reinhart and Donovan are both having strong training camps.
Both have a real chance of sticking.

Snow has told fans to expect upgrades to come from within, from his prospects.
Some nyi fans might say yes, but it is not how Snow is building his team.
http://nypost.com/2013/09/27/donovan...oy-fast-times/

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 12:29 PM
startainfection*

Quote:
they are just a rebuilding team, the c doesn't mean very much, if anything at all. if a trade that will give them the best chance to be improved some time down the road they will most likely take it. Also Giordano probably isn't to happy about wasting the later half of his prime with a team that has their eyes on the first overall pick.

Old
09-28-2013, 12:32 PM
Flames rebuilder

Quote:

Outside of maybe a video game, Gio won't be returning a 5th overall pick! I love the guy, he's good at everything but not great at anything. He's a number 3 guy on most teams. Pulock's got good size and is an offensive right handed defenseman. Lees a big, hard hitting center...it's good value.

Last edited by Flames rebuilder: 09-28-2013 at 12:41 PM.
Flames rebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 12:42 PM
ResilientBeast
MLD Draft Czar

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames rebuilder View Post
Outside of maybe a video game, Gio won't be returning a 5th overall pick! I love the guy, he's good at everything but not great at anything. He's a number 3 guy on most teams. Pulock's got good size and is an offensive right handed defenseman. Lees a big, hard hitting center...it's good value.
Did you miss the overpayment part? He's their captain and you need some veteran leadership with rebuilding.

ResilientBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 01:09 PM
startainfection*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResilientBeast View Post
Did you miss the overpayment part? He's their captain and you need some veteran leadership with rebuilding.
yeah, players that are closer to 40 that are looking for a last few paychecks that have already won a cup and wouldn't mind being on a really young rebuilding team, not people that can still be support players on a good team

Old
09-28-2013, 01:14 PM
The Mentalist
2016 Clayton Keller

Really like this player, he's also signed to a very good number. He's in the same class as Seidenburg. Would make a terrific number 2 on a contending team.

The Mentalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 01:17 PM
BayStreetBullies*

Quote:
Like paying for the stitching of the 'C' on his jersey?

BayStreetBullies* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 01:22 PM
Demetric

vCash: 91
Quote:
they are just a rebuilding team, the c doesn't mean very much, if anything at all. if a trade that will give them the best chance to be improved some time down the road they will most likely take it. Also Giordano probably isn't to happy about wasting the later half of his prime with a team that has their eyes on the first overall pick.
oh, I did not know you knew Gio that well.

Demetric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 01:22 PM
AlowlyMcOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStreetBullies View Post
Like paying for the stitching of the 'C' on his jersey?
do we know which company did the stitching? is it confirmed?

AlowlyMcOilersfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 01:29 PM
startainfection*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demetric View Post
oh, I did not know you knew Gio that well.
just imagining that every single player in the league that hasn't already dreams of hoisting the stanley cup, and along with that he probably thinks he is in his prime right now and thinks he could be a significant part of a contending teams core or at least a very important support player

Old
09-28-2013, 01:51 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
just imagining that every single player in the league that hasn't already dreams of hoisting the stanley cup, and along with that he probably thinks he is in his prime right now and thinks he could be a significant part of a contending teams core or at least a very important support player
I am pretty sure that a player who desperately wants to play for a contender will be hesitant to play for a team that hasn't won a playoff series since the George Bush Sr. Administration, and barely made the playoffs last season.

I think the islanders are on the upswing but they are not much better than the Flames.

Both are bubble teams.

09-28-2013, 01:59 PM
Reinhart

Doubtful the Flames would entertain anything other than an overpayment. He will not be traded for fair-value, so it makes most trade proposals for him a bit moot.

Apparently at the end of the season, Feaster asked every player on their exit interviews who they thought should be captain. It was basically unanimous that Giordano should be. Everyone on this team looks up to him.

Flames don't have an overabundance of skill guys at the moment (not exactly a big secret). Feaster is adamant that they compete this year (not for the Stanley Cup, and not even for the playoffs - Feaster wants to make sure that every player out there young or old just compete hard every shift as part of the culture change). Giordano epitomizes that at the moment. The guy battles hard and doesn't take many shifts off. Great 2-way defender who leaves his all on the ice. He has the respect of every other player on the team, and exemplifies what Calgary wants to put on the ice, and he is also happy to be here.

Also, if he was traded, who would be captain? For you people saying: "It shouldn't matter, they are rebuilding anyways", I would argue. You still need a strong veteran presence out there to guide the youngsters. Cammy would be the next logical choice, but he is very likely to be traded between now and the trade deadline. Who's next? Glencross? He is a bargain of a contract, and a very good 2-way player. Only holes in his game are that he takes games off and becomes a bit too emotional sometimes (if he didn't, he probably would be potting 40 goals in a season sometimes).

Trading Giordano would leave not only a big hole on D for the Flames, but an even bigger hole on leadership. I personally hope that the Flames trade away some of their veterans by the deadline, but manage to snag another 1 or two vets (hopefully through FA in the off-season somehow) who can offer some of the leadership that Giordano is. I think it is a hugely underrated element to a rebuilding team.

So, to answer your question, it would really take a massive over-payment. Flames would listen if Strome was in the conversation. Islanders would laugh hysterically and hang up. This is the type of player that at least for the next couple of years would be very hard to trade for.

Reinhart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 01:59 PM
CaptainCrunch67

There would have to be a massive overpayment. Gio is happy in Calgary, he's just been named Captain, he's not real old, he brings toughness and a good game, and he's signed to a very good contract.

If the Flames were going to move him it would have to be a head exploding socks flying off offer.

At the very least a first and a very good near NHL ready prospect.

The Flames need to keep a certain type of vet around to work with the young guys, Gio has already said that he relishes that role.

CaptainCrunch67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 02:05 PM
Reinhart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
I am pretty sure that a player who desperately wants to play for a contender will be hesitant to play for a team that hasn't won a playoff series since the George Bush Sr. Administration, and barely made the playoffs last season.

I think the islanders are on the upswing but they are not much better than the Flames.

Both are bubble teams.
Well, there is a bit of a difference though. Anyone can see that the Islanders are much closer to being a contender than the Flames at this point, and are definitely on the upswing.

About the only area right now that the Flames beat the islanders is having a stable ownership group that is committed to winning and have no issues at all spending to the cap (one of the top spending teams since the salary cap was implemented - this season notwithstanding obviously in a rebuild year).

Islanders have the Flames beat on location, talent level, and probability of making the playoffs. They have slowly stopped being the 'joke of the league' and are actually doing a very good job of building the team, especially given the budget constraints. There is also a number of very good prospects pushing for a spot on the team for the next while, ensuring Islanders will more than likely keep improving their talent level.

Reinhart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 02:08 PM
startainfection*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post

Both are bubble teams.
the isles are 6 or 7 years ahead of the flames as far as a rebuilding process goes, the flames rebuild started last year just before the trade deadline and no the isles didn't just make the playoffs last year, they clinched early then some teams passed them, the isles are a year away from being a contender and i think players in the league see that too

Old
09-28-2013, 02:13 PM
DBU
Never Quit

vCash: 464
Quote:
What

The C is important on any team, regardless of their status. It's very important to have the right type of veteran leadership on a team that is flush with kids like the Flames have. If Gio was unhappy about "wasting his prime" on this team, he would have asked for a trade and he certainly wouldn't have accepted the C.

Yeesh.

DBU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 02:16 PM
Saad Panda

Quote:
I'm sorry, but this all seems rather ignorant to me.

You claim to not know much about the player in the OP, then say that his team is "just" rebuilding, therefore it doesn't matter who their captain is. Giordano has been a solid player for them for years, and has been given a vote of confidence for his performance.

Also, it doesn't matter if Gio hates it there or loves it (which I'm sure if he hated it he would have let them know by now), it kinda makes sense for the Flames to keep him around, so, while I'm sure he would be attainable for the right price, I imagine teams wouldn't be itching to pony up.

Saad Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 02:41 PM
tmurfin
So Good! Mony Mony!

vCash: 50
Giordano isn't going anywhere

tmurfin is offline   Reply With Quote