HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Legend of Korra (spoilers)

Old
07-18-2012, 09:41 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
Good thing they picked the show up for a full run now.

Excited for better pacing and character development in the new season.
Definitely. Apparently there is more of character depth in the upcoming season and a more darker feel? 6 month passes apparently.

09-14-2013, 04:03 PM
kingsholygrail
Member berries!

Season 2: Book of Spirits premiered last night and oh boy is this gonna be good. Wonderful hour episode that got the ball rolling quickly. Plenty of funny and drama mixed together.

Anyone else catch it last night?

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2013, 09:18 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Season 2: Book of Spirits premiered last night and oh boy is this gonna be good. Wonderful hour episode that got the ball rolling quickly. Plenty of funny and drama mixed together.

Anyone else catch it last night?
Just saw it, I liked it (coming from someone who was skeptical about Book 1)-- The animation is something else entirely compared to The Last Airbender (although I'm worried that they're leaning too heavily towards style/polish over substance).

The combination of sound and images felt very similar to "Journey" (the videogame) to me, which is a very good thing. (Particuarly loved the shots of the little girl in the Air Temple)

Was that Aubrey Plaza?

I hope they aren't doing the exact "misleadingly nice character helping the Protagonist who is clearly hiding something/evil" storyline.

Also, the humor was nice and Mako wasn't quite as annoying as he normally is.

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 12:09 AM
kingsholygrail
Member berries!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
Just saw it, I liked it (coming from someone who was skeptical about Book 1)-- The animation is something else entirely compared to The Last Airbender (although I'm worried that they're leaning too heavily towards style/polish over substance).

The combination of sound and images felt very similar to "Journey" (the videogame) to me, which is a very good thing. (Particuarly loved the shots of the little girl in the Air Temple)

Was that Aubrey Plaza?

I hope they aren't doing the exact "misleadingly nice character helping the Protagonist who is clearly hiding something/evil" storyline.

Also, the humor was nice and Mako wasn't quite as annoying as he normally is.
Well, this is book 2 of 4, so who knows how this is really gonna shape up. The original series had a very clear overall enemy and journey. I'm still wondering where they are going overall with this one.

Eska was a wonderful addition.

Old
09-16-2013, 12:25 AM
Wrigley

vCash: 545
Quote:
Season 2: Book of Spirits premiered last night and oh boy is this gonna be good. Wonderful hour episode that got the ball rolling quickly. Plenty of funny and drama mixed together. Anyone else catch it last night?
Loved it. I love this show and Avatar, although the Avatar movie was not perfect imo.

It's like déjà vu all over again / It ain't over till it's over / When you come to a fork in the road, take it / You can observe a lot by just watching / The future ain't what it used to be / A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore / It gets late early out there - Yogi Berra
Wrigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 01:23 AM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Well, this is book 2 of 4, so who knows how this is really gonna shape up. The original series had a very clear overall enemy and journey. I'm still wondering where they are going overall with this one.

Eska was a wonderful addition.

I'm just saying that my first impression is that the uncle seems identical to the bloodbender in book 1 so far, so I hope it's not the same thing again.

Any idea if Eska was voiced by Aubrey Plaza? Sounds/acts like her.

Old
09-16-2013, 01:24 AM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
Loved it. I love this show and Avatar, although the Avatar movie was not perfect imo.
That's quite the understatement.

Old
09-16-2013, 01:35 AM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
I'm just saying that my first impression is that the uncle seems identical to the bloodbender in book 1 so far, so I hope it's not the same thing again.

Indeed she was.

and I agree that it seems like too obvious a setup that Korra's uncle's going to end up being evil and using her for his own goals. Maybe they're pushing it that way so that she starts thinking he's being too similar to Tarrlok (was that his name?) and rebels against him, only to find that he was being genuine the whole time and her mistrust has made things worse.

I dunno. I haven't watched the second episode yet.

"Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? The Shadow knows..."
The Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 01:49 AM
Mischa

I hope its not just going to be just against spirits (which I doubt but thats the only obvious adversary at this point). one thing with the last airbender that i really enjoyed was memorable and often deep villians. Zuko, Azula (and friends), Iroh, Jet , the Dai Li etc. and even guys like combustion man were at least memorable. only villains I remember from first season of Korra were Amon and his brother.

I did read that the first season was just supposed to be a standalone miniseries which makes a lot of the decisions around that make more sense.

best part of this season so far is definitely Eska (who is indeed aubrey plaza)
also corporation owner guy could be pretty awesome and is already pretty funny

Mischa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 01:56 AM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
Indeed she was.

and I agree that it seems like too obvious a setup that Korra's uncle's going to end up being evil and using her for his own goals. Maybe they're pushing it that way so that she starts thinking he's being too similar to Tarrlok (was that his name?) and rebels against him, only to find that he was being genuine the whole time and her mistrust has made things worse.

I dunno. I haven't watched the second episode yet.
Wait, there's a second episode released? *goes digging*

Old
09-16-2013, 01:58 AM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey Simon View Post
I hope its not just going to be just against spirits (which I doubt but thats the only obvious adversary at this point). one thing with the last airbender that i really enjoyed was memorable and often deep villians. Zuko, Azula (and friends), Iroh, Jet , the Dai Li etc. and even guys like combustion man were at least memorable. only villains I remember from first season of Korra were Amon and his brother.

I did read that the first season was just supposed to be a standalone miniseries which makes a lot of the decisions around that make more sense.

best part of this season so far is definitely Eska (who is indeed aubrey plaza)
also corporation owner guy could be pretty awesome and is already pretty funny
Isn't that because they were the only villains period?

Old
09-16-2013, 02:02 AM
kingsholygrail
Member berries!

Quote:

I'm thinking he's gonna be a mixed blessing and not just straight bad. He is going to train her in the spirit magic, but we don't know if he has ulterior motives for doing it, but so far what he's been teaching her has not led her astray.

Quote:
Not that I'm aware of. Friday was the 1-hr premiere. I think it's every Friday now.

Oh I see, the 1-hr premiere is episodes 1 and 2.

Old
09-16-2013, 02:05 AM
Mischa

Quote:
it was a two parter

Quote:
Isn't that because they were the only villains period?
well there were a lot of minor faceless villains and the lieutenant of amon and whatshername's dad but yeah they didn't really matter as villains which is sort of my point. it lacked the complex people of avatar though its atmosphere was still great. hopefully having more time will give them the chance to add all the extra layers

Old
09-16-2013, 02:09 AM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
sorry, I should've specified that by "the second episode" I meant what would've been part two of the premiere. Technically they were produced as two separate episodes, but aired as a single event one.

The Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 02:29 AM
Shareefruck

Oh, my bad for not noticing that.

Old
09-16-2013, 02:45 AM
kingsholygrail
Member berries!

I missed the credits sequence though because my DVR stopped at the hour. :|

Old
09-28-2013, 05:58 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

so anyone else enjoying the awesomeness that is season 2? So far I'm loving it.

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 11:27 AM
Shareefruck

I'm kind of "meh" about this series to be honest. The music, animation, and humorous characters like Varrick and Esna have been the saving grace of the show, but for me, it's taken itself a bit too seriously/trying a bit too hard, can't really pull it off, and has completely lost the charm of the first series.

Thought that lion-dancing score during the action scene was pretty inspired, though.

Old
09-28-2013, 12:11 PM
kingsholygrail
Member berries!

The core difference between Legend of Korra and Last Airbender is that Last Airbender was 52 episodes of 1 story. Korra was always intended to be 52 episodes of multiple stories. Each book can stand alone, which is far different from Last Airbender. I think it hurts the drama, but it does allow a lot of room to do what they couldn't with the last series.

I'm still enjoying it, but I am hoping it picks up and honestly, I'm bored with water benders. Way too many so far in this series. I wanna see the variety. I know air benders are still an endangered species, but we still got fire and earth. We'll see. It's not bad enough for me to stop watching, though I hope they keep Eska around.

Old
09-28-2013, 12:16 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
The core difference between Legend of Korra and Last Airbender is that Last Airbender was 52 episodes of 1 story. Korra was always intended to be 52 episodes of multiple stories. Each book can stand alone, which is far different from Last Airbender. I think it hurts the drama, but it does allow a lot of room to do what they couldn't with the last series.

I'm still enjoying it, but I am hoping it picks up and honestly, I'm bored with water benders. Way too many so far in this series. I wanna see the variety. I know air benders are still an endangered species, but we still got fire and earth. We'll see. It's not bad enough for me to stop watching, though I hope they keep Eska around.
Me, neither, I'm just a little underwhelmed and tend to get a very mixed reaction when I see the episodes.

Old
09-28-2013, 12:42 PM
kingsholygrail
Member berries!

Quote:
Me, neither, I'm just a little underwhelmed and tend to get a very mixed reaction when I see the episodes.
I don't like each book being its own mini-series. I prefer the long epic, like Last Airbender. You get a lot of time for character growth as well as progressing a story you can follow. The problem with the mini-series idea is that you're introducing a new story you have to set up every 13 episodes which can disrupt character growth.

It also doesn't allow for a lot of suspense to build since reveals happen much quicker. It was my problem with the first season and it's repeating itself. But hey, it's got a lot of episodes left to impress me. lol

Old
10-19-2013, 03:41 PM
Shareefruck

I've been really really critical of this series (Korra) since its inception, and this could just be post-watch buzz talking, but the latest two episodes (Beginnings Pt. 1 and Pt. 2) were fantastic-- Right up there with the best of TLA, and easily my favorite episode of Korra.

Quote:
I don't like each book being its own mini-series. I prefer the long epic, like Last Airbender. You get a lot of time for character growth as well as progressing a story you can follow. The problem with the mini-series idea is that you're introducing a new story you have to set up every 13 episodes which can disrupt character growth.

It also doesn't allow for a lot of suspense to build since reveals happen much quicker. It was my problem with the first season and it's repeating itself. But hey, it's got a lot of episodes left to impress me. lol
I actually tend to generally prefer the episodic mini-series approach, I just don't love what they've done with it so far (again, exceptions being the latest two episodes).

Last edited by Shareefruck: 10-19-2013 at 03:54 PM.
Old
10-20-2013, 01:19 AM
Mischa

I'm not quite sure I like the new things that the most recent two episodes brought.

the episodes were definitely great but it changes the way everything works and removes a lot of the mystery in the world (though I guess the avatar should know those things anyway)

Old
10-20-2013, 01:29 AM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey Simon View Post
I'm not quite sure I like the new things that the most recent two episodes brought.

the episodes were definitely great but it changes the way everything works and removes a lot of the mystery in the world (though I guess the avatar should know those things anyway)
How so?

I thought it beautifully built on the mythology, refocused the direction of the series, and even interestingly/believably cleared a few things up (like why there are benders and non-benders). Most importantly for me, it did a much better job of balancing on the wire between light-hearted and serious (rather than the rest of the Korra series, which for me seemed to jump back and forth between being TOO self-serious/dramatic and TOO stupid/childish).

I got goosebumps on more than a few occassions (call-back to dancing with the fire nation dragon spirit, hearing the baby but not blatantly being shown it). And the animation/art/traditional feel was great.

It felt like the kind of thing that the Last Airbender series would have pulled off/blindsided you with after lulling you in with a kids-cartoon feel leading up to it. Wan is also a much more interesting character than Korra, IMO.

Last edited by Shareefruck: 10-20-2013 at 01:42 AM.
Old
10-20-2013, 04:30 AM
kingsholygrail
Member berries!

Those last two episodes brought it back for me. I hope they build on that more.