HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

What's Going On? Part 4

Old
09-27-2013, 08:07 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
For me, It's just another stroking of his massive ego.
I always see it as just mashing people who are really stupid online when he goes off on something or someone. Usually I want to yell at these people as well so I'm good with him doing it for a bigger audience.

Plus it blows my mind how people can straight up dismiss the story analytics tell. He even admits they are a tool to be used with everything else, and a way of preventing your brain from only remembering really good and really bad things.

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2013, 10:12 PM
SHO NUFF*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senor Catface View Post
Yeah, he's an awful human-being. Seen it time and time again, once when he threatened to "ruin" some posters professional career by posting his real name. And this over a disagreement on a blog.

Like, honestly...
Quote:
What would be great is if both TSN 1260 and Oilers now would stop inviting MC79.

Instantly switch stations when I hear that egotistical jerk on the air.
I don't mind his guest spots on Oilers Now and I think Dellow actually brings a lot to the table from an analytics perspective, but he is an unbearable troll on Twitter. He's constantly trying to goad people into arguments and is the very definition of a guy who loves to dish it out but can't take it. .

SHO NUFF* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 09:41 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
I agree.

Dellows stuff is always detailed and well thought out.

I can understand disagreeing with him but I dont get the lack of appreciation or the hate at all.
The guy is a ******, constantly in twitter fights. Telling people he told them so. Reminds me of the kid that got beat up all the time in school for tattling or telling people they are wrong all the time.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 09:44 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
I always see it as just mashing people who are really stupid online when he goes off on something or someone. Usually I want to yell at these people as well so I'm good with him doing it for a bigger audience.

Plus it blows my mind how people can straight up dismiss the story analytics tell. He even admits they are a tool to be used with everything else, and a way of preventing your brain from only remembering really good and really bad things.
Not when he gets into arguments, stats are his end all.

Back to spec for a second, anyone else get the impression that he will be back on the radio in the near future? Made some sort of comment about resurfacing in his final appearance on Gregor's show yesterday.

Old
09-28-2013, 09:50 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Not when he gets into arguments, stats are his end all.

Back to spec for a second, anyone else get the impression that he will be back on the radio in the near future? Made some sort of comment about resurfacing in his final appearance on Gregor's show yesterday.
speculation is ched. but there was a rumour back in Feb that Sportnet radio may surface in Edmonton

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 09:54 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozwell View Post
speculation is ched. but there was a rumour back in Feb that Sportnet radio may surface in Edmonton
I remember that. Be interesting to see how the chips fall. I like Spec, but personally I hope he doesn't get another show. Another Spec report on another station is fine, but doing sportsnet games and then a radio show is too much.

Gregor also talked about some news on who is going to fill in for the spec report slot going forward. Some people we have heard, some we haven't. Said people should like it. Curious to see who he gets.

Old
09-28-2013, 10:27 AM
Asher

Quote:
If Spector goes on CHED I'd have to wonder if there would be strings attached. ie. would he now be working for the Oilers like Tencer did.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 10:34 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Tastes like Chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
If Spector goes on CHED I'd have to wonder if there would be strings attached. ie. would he now be working for the Oilers like Tencer did.
No because they would probably want him as Sportsnet's Mark Spector

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 10:43 AM
Hockey Fan #751

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
Tencer never worked for the Oilers.

Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 10:46 AM
Hockey Fan #751

I could see Sportsnet radio coming in, grabbing that massive 580 signal and making a splash on arrival with the Oilers radio rights which are up after this season. Then I could see CHED getting out of the sports game entirely like CKNW in Vancouver.

Old
09-28-2013, 10:54 AM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan #751 View Post
Its not going to be the same without Dan on the post game shows.

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 10:59 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan #751 View Post
But the oilers had input on what happened. Like with Stauffer doing the games, the oilers put handcuffs on the guys with direct access during the last few years. Should be mentioned that NEARLY ALL teams have some control over what the hosts say and do. So is would not just be the oilers who have had input onto what was said or covered bu the guys who own the broadcasting rights. TV is a little more freer with what they can do, but the radio broadcast in most traditional markets still find themselves somewhat under the thumb of the team

Old
09-28-2013, 11:55 AM
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C

if anyone fellows Bryn Griffiths (the original morning host) he said whoever replaces Spec will be a seat-filler until next summer

Speculation by him is that TSN 1260 buys the Oilers rights and Bob Stauffer is back on 1260

The Last Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 11:57 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
if anyone fellows Bryn Griffiths (the original morning host) he said whoever replaces Spec will be a seat-filler until next summer

Speculation by him is that TSN 1260 buys the Oilers rights and Bob Stauffer is back on 1260
If they are going to continue with Oilers talk at noon on 1260, I'd try get Struds in there. I just don't know if that is an option for him and his family.

Old
09-28-2013, 01:17 PM
Punter

Team 1260 has been great for the last few years. Love the local guys building it up.

Hopefully no Toronto in the weekday schedule. Even CFL (turn the volume way down until next segment time) is better than Raptors and Blue Jays. If I want to know what the TSN guys think; I can watch TSN. Oh, and Bob Stauffer can stay where he is, along with the broadcast rights, we need a sports station capable of presenting the true opinion of fans.

Punter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 01:38 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 160
Quote:

That would suck.
1260's range across the province is pathetic. I hope they never get the radio rights.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 01:54 PM
KlimasLoveChild

Quote:
What would be great is if both TSN 1260 and Oilers now would stop inviting MC79.

Instantly switch stations when I hear that egotistical jerk on the air.
Completely agree. Was actually thinking of starting a thread for people to throw down their likes and dislikes about Oilers Now but thought it would get shut down. What credentials does MC79 have to be on every other day? The guys a bean counter with little to zero knowledge outside of numbers. It's pretty apparent Bob has a massive man crush and what's with the constant references to Boris Fistric? Anyways I was hoping it was just a case of the summer being a down time and Bob needing some filler but now that games are being played it's getting a little old. I'd prefer serious Gord have his own segment as opposed to this ass hat.

KlimasLoveChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 07:54 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

Bryn has been nearly spot on with his predictions as to what is going on with the station

Old
09-29-2013, 02:40 AM
Gentle Jake Virtanen
canucks? time to go.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Bryn has been nearly spot on with his predictions as to what is going on with the station
... like?

I don't follow Bryn myself, so I have no idea.

Gentle Jake Virtanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 09:24 AM
Hockey Fan #751

Quote:

I do agree that it seems CHED has lost interest in sports and probably won't be back next season. Heck, they haven't even announced a replacement for Tencer on Inside Sports, they're just leaving Dave Campbell as the permanent temp host it seems.

All signs would then point to TSN 1260 but as mentioned, Sportsnet getting into the game would be a wildcard. They're hitched to Sportsnet for TV for another 7 years and it also seems to me like the Oilers are separating themselves from Telus (taken off the building and website) so maybe they're doing a bigger deal with Rogers? That would tell me that if Sportsnet does come into the market for sports radio, they've got to have the inside edge.

Old
09-29-2013, 03:54 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangerine View Post
... like?

I don't follow Bryn myself, so I have no idea.
I am on facebook with Bryn and usually a week before things are made official he mentions it on facebook

Old
09-29-2013, 04:49 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
The guy is a ******, constantly in twitter fights. Telling people he told them so. Reminds me of the kid that got beat up all the time in school for tattling or telling people they are wrong all the time.
Whatever. I dont care about what he does on twitter.

It has nothing to do with his radio appearances and he is far more interesting than most of the noise on these boards.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 05:58 PM
MuzikMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
That would suck.
1260's range across the province is pathetic. I hope they never get the radio rights.
Agreed. I wish 1260 could do something about their range.

MuzikMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 06:14 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlimasLoveChild View Post
Completely agree. Was actually thinking of starting a thread for people to throw down their likes and dislikes about Oilers Now but thought it would get shut down. What credentials does MC79 have to be on every other day? The guys a bean counter with little to zero knowledge outside of numbers. It's pretty apparent Bob has a massive man crush and what's with the constant references to Boris Fistric? Anyways I was hoping it was just a case of the summer being a down time and Bob needing some filler but now that games are being played it's getting a little old. I'd prefer serious Gord have his own segment as opposed to this ass hat.
All one has to do is spend a bit of time on his blog to see he's full of ....... hot air.

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 07:35 PM
bardfromedson

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzikMachine View Post
Agreed. I wish 1260 could do something about their range.
TSN has lots of money. If there smart they buy out a station lower on the dial in the 600-800 range and can send a decent signal a lot further. anything over an hour west of Edmonton and the 1260 signal is garbage.

bardfromedson is offline   Reply With Quote