HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

RW Valeri Nichushkin - Chelyabinsk, KHL (2013, 10th overall, Dallas)

Closed Thread

Old
09-28-2013, 09:28 AM
The Winter Soldier

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynn84 View Post
Nichushkin who I coined was my favourite comrade last fall well before the draft is a stud. This guy is going to be a steal for Dallas, typical type of play you can expect from the kid. What talent he has.

Old
09-28-2013, 12:17 PM
King In The North
Sean Bennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
What a star! Watch him burn Hunwick! In the preseason to boot! What talent!

Sorry. HF love affairs always make me chuckle.
Are you just trying to justify to yourself why the Oilers took Nurse instead of Nish?

Old
09-28-2013, 12:33 PM
ElGuapo
^Plethora of piñatas

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
I don't know if he has the passing/vision or shot to be "elite" if defensemen start forcing him to cut into the middle.

Paajarvi looked unstoppable flying down the wing and cutting to the net early in his rookie year, but eventually defensemen overplayed him wide and he became useless offensively more or less. Nichushkin definitely has tools that Paajarvi doesn't, so I wouldn't expect him to fall as far as Paajarvi did though.

Don't get me wrong. I think he'll be a solid top 6 guy(more than likely a 1st liner), but I don't think I'd be comfortable throwing the word "elite" around with him just yet.
He already scored a badass goal in pre-season cutting to the middle and ripping a wicked wrister from the high slot. He scored another with brute strength in the low slot standing his ground picking up a loose puck and slamming it home. In Traverse City he also showed an impressive one-timer on one of his goals there. He's not a one-trick pony.

Old
09-28-2013, 12:55 PM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

I think we all understand that he has looked impressive so far. That isn't the topic of discussion.

Old
09-28-2013, 12:57 PM
Dundalis

58 seconds in. Not against NHL level players, but all draftees get rated on how they've done against their own age group coming into the draft.

His shot is just fine.

Old
09-28-2013, 07:00 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Of The North View Post
Are you just trying to justify to yourself why the Oilers took Nurse instead of Nish?
Why would I have to justify it, we have Yakupov. Nish is Yakupov lite.

Old
09-28-2013, 07:02 PM
Fantomas

Quote:
Why would I have to justify it, we have Yakupov. Nish is Yakupov lite.
You wouldn't want Yakupov #2, of course. Why would you?

Old
09-28-2013, 07:40 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantomas View Post
Is this the part where you tell me Nichushkin would go #1 in Yakupov's draft year? Because it's not Yakupov #2, it's Yakupov x0.5.

I'd take Nurse 10/10 but the player I wish we got was Monahan, not Nichushkin.

Old
09-28-2013, 07:41 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#LetJohnPlay

vCash: 50
Quote:
Yes, yes he is.

Old
09-28-2013, 07:42 PM
Pohlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantomas View Post
'And with the first overall selection in the 2015 entry draft, the Pittsburgh Penguins select Oliver Kylington'

Upon reaching the podium, Ray Shero had to say:

"Why would we need McDavid? We have Crosby, McDavid is Crosby lite"

Old
09-28-2013, 08:00 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pohlow View Post
'And with the first overall selection in the 2015 entry draft, the Pittsburgh Penguins select Oliver Kylington'

Upon reaching the podium, Ray Shero had to say:

"Why would we need McDavid? We have Crosby, McDavid is Crosby lite"
Now we've brought Crosby and McDavid into the discussion.

Hooooboy. This thread IS a lost cause.

Old
09-28-2013, 08:11 PM
Neatman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Yes, yes he is.
Not sure if you've been keeping up, but Nurse was incredible in his preseason showings. Go take a gander on the Oiler's boards and take note of how NO ONE is lamenting the fact that the Oiler's didn't take Nichushkin.

Team with lots of star power up front but with need for top end D takes a top end Dman. The Dman looks incredible and projects as a #1D. And you expect them to regret that decision? Not to mention Nichushkin is already filled out while Nurse has a lot of physical maturation on the way.

Good to see Nichushkin is putting on a show for Dallas fans.

Old
09-28-2013, 08:21 PM
Delicious Pancakes

Nichushkin is still raw. What he's done through pre-season is impressive however as mentioned beating Matt Hunwick wide isn't saying a lot. Defenseman will learn to read him and he's going to need time to figure the NHL game out. That said he's got loads of talent and physical ability. How many teams would love to have a guy that big and fast who takes the puck to the net like that? If he can round out his game the Stars have a steal.

As an Oilers fan who was hoping the Oilers would take Nichushkin instead of Nurse I'm very curious to see how he pans out. Although now I'm hoping the Oilers scouts were right taking Nurse. I guess we'll see.

Old
09-28-2013, 09:46 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#LetJohnPlay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neatman View Post
Not sure if you've been keeping up, but Nurse was incredible in his preseason showings. Go take a gander on the Oiler's boards and take note of how NO ONE is lamenting the fact that the Oiler's didn't take Nichushkin.

Team with lots of star power up front but with need for top end D takes a top end Dman. The Dman looks incredible and projects as a #1D. And you expect them to regret that decision? Not to mention Nichushkin is already filled out while Nurse has a lot of physical maturation on the way.

Good to see Nichushkin is putting on a show for Dallas fans.
I'm not saying that Nurse hasn't been fantastic. Everyone who picked 1-9 right now is wildly ecstatic with their pick.

But Nichushkin can be a star. And I would easily take him over Nurse. And the main point that saying that you don't want Nichushkin because you already have Yakupov is just dumb.

Old
09-28-2013, 09:49 PM
mint
Views for Matthews

vCash: 7030
Quote:
Meh, Nurse has looked really good in preseason too. Look at his assist vs. the Rangers:

What a stud! He walked around all star defender Dan Girardi!

I mean, by the looks of this thread that one .gif of Nichushkin walking Hunwick somehow interrelates to the fact that the Oilers made a mistake picking Nurse.

Old
09-28-2013, 09:54 PM
Fordy
the kid signify

Quote:
Now we've brought Crosby and McDavid into the discussion.

Hooooboy. This thread IS a lost cause.
you're really upset about something to be acting like this

Old
09-28-2013, 09:54 PM
mint
Views for Matthews

Quote:
I'm not saying that Nurse hasn't been fantastic. Everyone who picked 1-9 right now is wildly ecstatic with their pick.

But Nichushkin can be a star. And I would easily take him over Nurse. And the main point that saying that you don't want Nichushkin because you already have Yakupov is just dumb.
Nichushkin would never play top 6 on the Oilers. Hall-Perron are better than him and even if he switched to RW, Eberle-Yakupov-Hemsky is a hard trio to surpass.

Old
09-28-2013, 09:56 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pep View Post
Meh, Nurse has looked really good in preseason too. Look at his assist vs. the Rangers:

What a stud! He walked around all star defender Dan Girardi!

I mean, by the looks of this thread that one .gif of Nichushkin walking Hunwick somehow interrelates to the fact that the Oilers made a mistake picking Nurse.
This whole thing is foolish but to describe that as walking around Dan Girardi is pretty ridiculous. Walking around someone doesnt mean they let you go behind the net.

Old
09-28-2013, 10:03 PM
mint
Views for Matthews

Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
This whole thing is foolish but to describe that as walking around Dan Girardi is pretty ridiculous. Walking around someone doesnt mean they let you go behind the net.
Meh. Gord Miller commentates that he 'stepped around Girardi'. Close enough.

Old
09-28-2013, 10:05 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Meh. Gord Miller commentates that he 'stepped around Girardi'. Close enough.
I really dont think stepping past a dman and driving towards the net liek Nichushkin did is remotely the same as having a dman block your path towards the net and then not pursue you as you go behind it.

Old
09-28-2013, 10:19 PM
mint
Views for Matthews

Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
I really dont think stepping past a dman and driving towards the net liek Nichushkin did is remotely the same as having a dman block your path towards the net and then not pursue you as you go behind it.
You're right, they aren't remotely the same. Two entirely different plays. All Nurse did was fake the opposing forechecker, faked out a dman behind the net and connected with a no-look, backhand pass to the tape of a teammate's stick, resulting in a goal.

Old
09-28-2013, 10:21 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Nichushkin would never play top 6 on the Oilers. Hall-Perron are better than him and even if he switched to RW, Eberle-Yakupov-Hemsky is a hard trio to surpass.
Well I'd hope these guys would be better than an 18 year old.

Not sure why this thread got flooded with Oilers' fans whom many of decided to put down a prospect they have probably never seen play until last night. You're happy with Nurse? Great, I don't see any relation to Nichushkin in that analysis. It's too early to be making the claims that many of you (and several Stars' fans, to be fair) are making about 18 year old prospects. 7 preseason games and a prospect tournament are certainly not enough showings to prove anything, much less to be used as proof of anything in these players' futures.

Old
09-28-2013, 10:27 PM
mint
Views for Matthews

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Well I'd hope these guys would be better than an 18 year old.

Not sure why this thread got flooded with Oilers' fans whom many of decided to put down a prospect they have probably never seen play until last night. You're happy with Nurse? Great, I don't see any relation to Nichushkin in that analysis. It's too early to be making the claims that many of you (and several Stars' fans, to be fair) are making about 18 year old prospects. 7 preseason games and a prospect tournament are certainly not enough showings to prove anything, much less to be used as proof of anything in these players' futures.
nurse wasnt even bought up by an Oilers fan:

Quote:

Old
09-28-2013, 10:29 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#LetJohnPlay

Quote:
How do you know Nichushkin wouldn't be better than those guys? I mean, I highly highly doubt he'll ever be as good as Hall or Yakupov, but who's to say he doesn't get better than Eberle or Perron? I have no doubt he'll be better than Hemsky in a couple years. And what if you move Hall to center permanently?

You don't turn down Nichushkin just because you have winger. Sharks have Thornton-Couture-Marleau-Pavelski at center but there is no way I'd turn down Mackinnon because of that.

Old
09-28-2013, 10:34 PM
mint
Views for Matthews

Quote:
How do you know Nichushkin wouldn't be better than those guys? I mean, I highly highly doubt he'll ever be as good as Hall or Yakupov, but who's to say he doesn't get better than Eberle or Perron? I have no doubt he'll be better than Hemsky in a couple years. And what if you move Hall to center permanently?
It's highly unlikely Nichushkin would surpass Taylor Hall, a #1 overall pick who was 2nd in West Scoring, Jordan Eberle, 1 season removed from 70 pts, Nail Yakupov, a #1 pick. Perron on the other hand has been one of the best possession players in the league the past 6 years or so. Nichushkin has a lot to do before surpassing him.

Hall is only at C for the short term due to injuries to the top 2 centers on the team.

Quote:
You don't turn down Nichushkin just because you have winger. Sharks have Thornton-Couture-Marleau-Pavelski at center but there is no way I'd turn down Mackinnon because of that.
There is a difference. Marleau and Thornton are old and their contracts are nearly up. Hall/Perron/Eberle/Yakupov are not even in the primes of their careers yet.

I agree with picking BPA, but I feel Nurse is the better player, so it's a moot point anyways. Monahan on the other hand is another story.

Closed Thread