Notices

Joe Colborne (see post #75)

Old
09-29-2013, 01:25 AM
Taranis

vCash: 2343
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
The problem is we haven't seen Colborne at camp he could easily be the worst one and yet has to go on waivers so he is guaranteed a spot on the team or we waste a 4th.
Totally agree.

Taranis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 01:26 AM
Rayban

vCash: 500
He was considered a lock by the Toronto media coming into camp but he didn't have the attention grabbing performances needed to beat out Raymond or Mclement.

Rayban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 01:27 AM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarome Iginla View Post
ever heard of healthy competition? may the best player make the team, nothing wrong with that

fits into the age group, our most important need, and a character player which Burkie and co LOVES
I'm not trying to argue or say its terrible. But there's only so many spots available. I'm sure our homegrown guys would feel a little better if they didnt have someone jump in the line unexpectedly. Ever hear of showing a little faith? Like I said, I will reiterate just for you. I'm not saying its a bad move, it's low risk, I'm just not thrilled about it. Satisfied?

tmurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 01:31 AM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayban View Post
He was considered a lock by the Toronto media coming into camp but he didn't have the attention grabbing performances needed to beat out Raymond or Mclement.
Hopefully he can find his game as the center position is wide open now and in the future.

TheHudlinator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 01:32 AM
Volica
150 lbs of Hockey

Anyone complaining about this deal isn't in their right mind.

This kid still has all the tools in this world to be a higher-end NHL player, size, skill, speed... Just has to put it together. And look, we didn't even have to pickup Liles contract.

Instead, we gave them a 4th round pick... something that rarely turns into serviceable NHL players for a guy who still has top 6 potential.

Great deal, this is called winning a trade 101.

Volica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 01:34 AM
Sean Monahan
#boring

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmurfin View Post
I'm not trying to argue or say its terrible. But there's only so many spots available. I'm sure our homegrown guys would feel a little better if they didnt have someone jump in the line unexpectedly. Ever hear of showing a little faith? Like I said, I will reiterate just for you. I'm not saying its a bad move, it's low risk, I'm just not thrilled about it. Satisfied?
seems like i came off in the wrong way all im trying to say is burkie knows a lot about this guy and for a fourth round pick you may very well get a serviceable NHLer that needs the ice time, same as russell. And people flamed feaster and co before they even saw russell play

Sean Monahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 01:36 AM
RaginStajan
Pineapple Express

vCash: 642
Got to risk it for the biscuit.

RaginStajan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 01:37 AM
King In The North
Sean Bennett

I feel like we are a bit spoiled because a 4th got us Knight and a 5th (?) got us Galiardi. Burke sees something in him enough to go after the kid. Maybe playing near home is what he needs to get it going.

King In The North is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 01:40 AM
MuffinMerc
Business. Numbers!

vCash: 3280
I just read the Leafs thread about the trade, and I guess the problem with Colborne is the man does not give a damn. Like, he does not give a ****. Not one flying ****. If playing for your home team doesnt change that then I guess he's already lost his job to the others down in Abby.

MuffinMerc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 01:41 AM
Volica
150 lbs of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranis View Post
Not exactly a glowing review over on the Leafs thread.
You can't take people on Hockey forums as insight into a player.
If you rewind the clock back 2 years, when Toronto traded for Colborne and those picks; for Kaberle... they were all patting themselves on the back mighty hard. Hell, rewind the clock back... 2-3 months ago and Leafs people were suggesting deals for Giordano and Glencross centered around Joe.

Truly, fans wear rose-coloured glasses with their favorite teams. Once someone is traded, they're garbage. Once someone is received they are stars in the making. Hell, they'll probably be getting Jari Kurri in the fourth round, maybe Mark Recchi or Sergei Federov. /Rolls eyes.

Old
09-29-2013, 01:42 AM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarome Iginla View Post
seems like i came off in the wrong way all im trying to say is burkie knows a lot about this guy and for a fourth round pick you may very well get a serviceable NHLer that needs the ice time, same as russell. And people flamed feaster and co before they even saw russell play
I hear yuh man lol, I personally was a big fan of the Russell move. And I hope your right, right now, I'm very meh, lets hope he succeeds with us though! Cheers

tmurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 01:42 AM
Volica
150 lbs of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuffinMerc View Post
I just read the Leafs thread about the trade, and I guess the problem with Colborne is the man does not give a damn. Like, he does not give a ****. Not one flying ****. If playing for your home team doesnt change that then I guess he's already lost his job to the others down in Abby.
It's a good thing these forum posters were all good friends of Joe when he was in Toronto, and that you're not getting ahead of yourself believing what they say as the truth.

Old
09-29-2013, 01:43 AM
Mikeyg
Smackin' haterz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuffinMerc View Post
he could of slotted in as high as the third line this year out of camp, and he got absolutely out worked, hes a 6'5 kid who plays like hes 5'2... if he would ever drive the net he could put 50 points up easily in a few years, but hes just weak on the puck imo, gl with him, the guy needs a kick in the rear to get going... other then that he is ok I guess

Mikeyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 01:44 AM
Mikeyg
Smackin' haterz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volica View Post
You can't take people on Hockey forums as insight into a player.
If you rewind the clock back 2 years, when Toronto traded for Colborne and those picks; for Kaberle... they were all patting themselves on the back mighty hard. Hell, rewind the clock back... 2-3 months ago and Leafs people were suggesting deals for Giordano and Glencross centered around Joe.

Truly, fans wear rose-coloured glasses with their favorite teams. Once someone is traded, they're garbage. Once someone is received they are stars in the making. Hell, they'll probably be getting Jari Kurri in the fourth round, maybe Mark Recchi or Sergei Federov. /Rolls eyes.
the honest problem is... he hasnt changed in 2 years... hes the same player now as he was 2 years ago, mark my words, if that kid would drive the net and develop some grit, he will be a decent player

Old
09-29-2013, 01:46 AM
King In The North
Sean Bennett

Let's hope he's not like Mike Comrie work ethic wise. Father is an oil-exec apparently

Old
09-29-2013, 01:47 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Take care of him guys, you'll enjoy him. He's a good kid and is still putting it all together. I know in time he'll show you why he was touted so high. Im sad to see him go but I understand the business.

09-29-2013, 01:49 AM
Noori

vCash: 763
Interesting deal. Quite the log jam of young forwards who are close to the NHL level but not quite there (except Bouma - he is 4th line ready 100%).

Monahan, Baertschi, Horak, Knight, Reinhart, Ferland, and now Colborne. This doesn't include pro guys that are a little while away (Granlund, Hanowski, Jooris) or guys who will turn pro next year (Gaudreau, Arnold, Agostino, Poirier). Good lord, that is a ton of players.

I think now is when you have to start looking at a few guys and maybe seeing if you can get an equivalent prospect at a different position. For example, maybe trade Roman Horak to Pheonix for Mike Stone. Horak doesn't bring anything particular that our other prospects don't have and Mike Stone is a RH shot on the backend and can be a steady bottom pairing defenseman for us. We need to start using areas of depth to address areas of weakness, particularly right shots and defensemen.

Also, following this acquisition Monahan needs to be sent down after a full 9 game look in the NHL (which he has completely earned). That extra year on his ELC will help big time down the road, and we already know Monahan is a part of the solution going forward, so let's use this year to see what we have in a few other guys. I'm not saying it's 100% fair to Monahan, but another year of junior won't hurt him and it's what is ultimately best for the Flames long term. He looks good right now, but an 82 game season will wear him down.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 01:50 AM
mikebel111
Optimistic/Patient

leaf fan here

Don't listen to other leaf fans saying that he is bad on D and slow. he has a good D game now and improved speed. He will work out for you guys

mikebel111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 01:52 AM
mikebel111
Optimistic/Patient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyg View Post
the honest problem is... he hasnt changed in 2 years... hes the same player now as he was 2 years ago, mark my words, if that kid would drive the net and develop some grit, he will be a decent player

lets see he couldn't shoot a puck because of that injury. lay off him

mikebel111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 01:53 AM
Sean Monahan
#boring

fully expect monahan to be a London Knight if he's back in the OHL.

Sean Monahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 01:53 AM
King In The North
Sean Bennett

Agree only in a sense that Monahan still stands to prove some things in his junior. Captain the team, win gold at Juniors, add some muscle.

Hockey sense he's all there but could definitely bulk a little more.

Old
09-29-2013, 01:56 AM
Mikeyg
Smackin' haterz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebel111 View Post
lets see he couldn't shoot a puck because of that injury. lay off him
oh please, if you are going to argue with me like usual, go back to the leafs section, please stop making excuses for people, the guy has skills but he needs a philosophy change, most importantly he needs a better work ethic and more grit/drive, you can be the least skilled player in the world but still make it out of sheer drive and power alone, dont act like his injury from 2 years ago is still relevant, the guy had decent numbers in the ahl but his game isnt at nhl quality yet, it is appropriate to claim that he needs a fair bit of work.

Old
09-29-2013, 01:58 AM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

vCash: 1000
Some remarks by Feaster:

Quote:
@markhmasters: In statement, Feaster says after talking w/ Burke 'it became clear to us that [Colborne] is the type of young, big centre we need'
Quote:
@markhmasters: Feaster on Colborne: 'He fits in very well with our rebuild & provides size up the middle which we believe is critical going forward'
Furthermore:

Quote:
"As an organization we have had many discussions this past year about Joe, but never made an offer,” said Flames General Manager Jay Feaster. “With the opportunity to speak with Brian Burke and learn about Joe's hockey sense and character from someone who had him as a player and knows him so well, it became clear to us that this is the type of young, big centre we need. He fits in very well with our rebuild and provides size up the middle which we believe is critical going forward. The fact that he is from Calgary is an added bonus. We look forward to welcoming him to the Flames family."

Last edited by Calculon: 09-29-2013 at 03:14 AM.
Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 02:00 AM
Volica
150 lbs of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noori View Post
Interesting deal. Quite the log jam of young forwards who are close to the NHL level but not quite there (except Bouma - he is 4th line ready 100%).

Monahan, Baertschi, Horak, Knight, Reinhart, Ferland, and now Colborne. This doesn't include pro guys that are a little while away (Granlund, Hanowski, Jooris) or guys who will turn pro next year (Gaudreau, Arnold, Agostino, Poirier). Good lord, that is a ton of players.

I think now is when you have to start looking at a few guys and maybe seeing if you can get an equivalent prospect at a different position. For example, maybe trade Roman Horak to Pheonix for Mike Stone. Horak doesn't bring anything particular that our other prospects don't have and Mike Stone is a RH shot on the backend and can be a steady bottom pairing defenseman for us. We need to start using areas of depth to address areas of weakness, particularly right shots and defensemen.

Also, following this acquisition Monahan needs to be sent down after a full 9 game look in the NHL (which he has completely earned). That extra year on his ELC will help big time down the road, and we already know Monahan is a part of the solution going forward, so let's use this year to see what we have in a few other guys. I'm not saying it's 100% fair to Monahan, but another year of junior won't hurt him and it's what is ultimately best for the Flames long term. He looks good right now, but an 82 game season will wear him down.
I 100% agree with you here.
Flames should be dealing from a position of strength now. Guys like Horak have proven that they can be NHL contributors, hell, he's shown he's more than ready to be a top 9 guy in the NHL... who could even slot into a second line in the near future.

Let's see how Monahan plays. I feel that he'll be playing along Cammy and Galiardi/Jones... so I mean, if he can't put up some points in his first nine games, that's on him.

Old
09-29-2013, 02:01 AM
King In The North
Sean Bennett

A pattern with our prospects is that most if not all are leaders in some way or another; they have letters in their amateur teams or great work ethic.

Burke and Feaster must have a lot of faith/belief that this guy has something he didn't show to Leafs this camp.