HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Post Your 2013-14 Lineup

Old
09-26-2013, 11:09 AM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
I think you're underestimating Vinny's ability to be productive with Simmonds and BSchenn, or even with Simmonds and Raffl.

Schenn hasn't even got to play on that line with Vinny and Simmonds yet.
It isn't that im underestimating Vinny's play, it's more like i am so confident in voracek's ability.

Chicago was a good team when they had Kane and Toews together.

When the split them up they became a great team. This is what i want the flyers to do with giroux and voracek.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 03:21 PM
Appleyard

vCash: 165
From what I have seen in pre-season, and my pre-existing bias about players factored in, this would be my opening night line up on the front end, going solely of what the best lineup ability wise that gives us the best chance of winning every night:

Hartnell-Giroux-Voracek

I want this line together at the start of the season, the chemistry is obviously there and we want to jump out of the gate, it gives us a safe scoring line that has everything. I would however not be adverse to looking at Voracek on the 2nd line later in the season (maybe 5-10 games) if the 2nd is struggling, though that may be risky if 1st is as good as it can be.

Schenn-Lecavalier-Simmonds

This line has the potential to put up a lot of points, and gives Schenn every opportunity to break out, without being a '3rd wheel' as he may end up being if he plays on the 1st, putting up points here would be more indicative of him adapting to the NHL, instead of piggybacking of our best two forwards. Also a very nasty line to play against in the corners, and Schenn and Simmonds had some understanding last year.

Raffl-Couturier-Read

I don't think Raffl should be on the 4th, and he grinds well, and obviously has some skill, if he can be more of a threat on goal than Talbot is still to be seen, but unlike Talbot he is a bit of an unknown commodity, so maybe should be given a chance on this line to see if he can accumulate points while being solid in his own end, if he can the top 9 is very well rounded and all 3 lines can rack up points. If he can't, Talbot slots in after a while and we have the best third line in the NHL! Win/win situation.

Talbot-Laughton-Rinaldo

This is almost more than a third line, Talbot and Laughton have some offensive ability and very good positional ability, they could definitely worry other teams when they get in the offensive zone, which would give us 4 lines that can get on the board, which is rare in the NHL. Rinaldo can also be a 1 man homing missile playing with two players who are so defensively sound, and learn to be better defensively playing with them. The con here is Laughton, and is it best for him to play on the 4th with few progression options apart from 3LW instead of going back to juniors? I have no doubt he is currently better than Hall, but here as well, going with Hall means almost certainly being better on faceoffs, which is important.

The problem here is if Laughton bumps Hall and the lineup stays like I have shown it we have Hall and Rosehill, and are the Flyers willing to have 2 forwards in the press box? Or more likely keep the extra D.

I was also tempted to put Talbot at 4c... even though he is better at wing, just to have a completely French spine.

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 05:44 PM
Appleyard

And on the back end:

Kimmo-Coburn

This is a hard one, breaking up Schenn and Kimmo after last year irks me. But Coburn has always played better with Kimmo. The top four on this team seems pretty distinct to me, and nicely interchangeable with two more offensive guys and two more defensive, if one pair does not work just swap 'em.

Streit-Schenn

This is the obvious second pairing if we go with that first. The two reasons that I separated Kimmo and Schenn are that: A) I think it rounds the defensive side of our defence out more nicely, I think Kimmo and Schenn are our best two of these four at actually defending, so makes more even pairings, as Streit is the worst. B) Gives Schenn a chance to show he can lead a pairing, which he would not get with Kimmo next to him, he did this well towards the end of last year, and would give him more to build on. Of course, the one problem here is that it could unsettle Schenn, or make him lose confidence due to Streits subpar D (compared to Kimmo), and send him on another dip, which his career seems to have been so far, one good year, one bad, so maybe if this is seemingly a problem out of the gate flip Schenn and Coburn before damage is done.

Grossmann-Gus

This is obviously the hardest one to pick, Grossmann is great, and exactly what any team wants on their third pairing, reliable, strong, good positionally, great on the boards, hey, who cares if he doesn't get points, it is not his role. However, the #6D is a toss up, I think Gus and Mez are the guys most suited, as they compliment Grossmann best, the worry is both have had a bad pre season, so Gus gets it as while he has been bad, Mez has unfortunately been worse, not the best way to pick, but the only one in this scenario!

I think we keep 2 D men extra as well, so Lauridsen drops down to the AHL, Mez gets #7 (if he is not traded, heck, we have the cap room, if not ideal) and then probably Gervais is #8 and Gill signed to two way and goes to Phantoms.

Old
09-26-2013, 06:38 PM
flyersfan28

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Haha, highly doubtful. Shelley lost most of his fights as a Flyer because he was well past his prime.

The myth that enforcers somehow protect star players during play needs to go away. They don't. Enforcers only come into play after something has happened (which is too late), or after the play. Gretzky's enforcers didn't prevent him from being hit, Gretzky's skill did that. His enforcers didn't prevent the hit that finally hurt him, either.

Shelley in the lineup wouldn't have prevented the elbow on Simmonds. It wouldn't have undone it. Having Rosehill in the lineup won't prevent the next cheapshot, either.
if shelley or rosehill was on ice erskine never made a elbow on simmonds
when rosehill play the game zero cheapshot was made last years
is for this reason why i want craig berube instead of lavi for the coach

flyersfan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 07:38 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan28 View Post
Was Shelley or Rosehill absorbing that elbow from the bench?

I don't know much about Berube as a coach so I can't say whether I would want him or not but if I did it would be because he's a good coach & qualified for the job not because he was once a goon & played rough.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 07:40 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Right, I'm sure Erskine had time to think "Hey, Shelley isn't in this game. I can elbow Simmonds! I will!" There is zero chance Erskine had or has any fear of Shelley or Rosehill.

Have you considered there weren't cheap shots because the players did a good job protecting themselves? Or perhaps because the opposition didn't want to risk a suspension? The risk of suspension is a far greater deterrent than any goon who you can literally ignore and put your team on the PP.

09-26-2013, 07:49 PM
flyersfan28

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Was Shelley or Rosehill absorbing that elbow from the bench?

I don't know much about Berube as a coach so I can't say whether I would want him or not but if I did it would be because he's a good coach & qualified for the job not because he was once a goon & played rough.
lavi or berube?
i think berube deserve a chance to be coach is a really good assistant coach no?

Old
09-26-2013, 08:01 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
lavi or berube?
i think berube deserve a chance to be coach is a really good assistant coach no?
Berube. I don't know much about him as a coach. He was in charge of the PK last year which was 5th in the league but his name hasn't really come up much in coaching searches over the years. I won't discredit him as coach based on his playing days like most do around here but I don't much about him to make an opinion on him as coach, going by his name not being brought up much in coaching searches leads me to believe he's not ready yet but that's not to say he won't be some day down the road. If Lavi was fired I would want someone with head coaching experience in the nhl.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 09:55 PM
flyersfan28

Quote:
Berube. I don't know much about him as a coach. He was in charge of the PK last year which was 5th in the league but his name hasn't really come up much in coaching searches over the years. I won't discredit him as coach based on his playing days like most do around here but I don't much about him to make an opinion on him as coach, going by his name not being brought up much in coaching searches leads me to believe he's not ready yet but that's not to say he won't be some day down the road. If Lavi was fired I would want someone with head coaching experience in the nhl.
berube is underrated i think he can be a good coach

Old
09-26-2013, 10:05 PM
BernieParent

I wonder what it would take to get permission from Phoenix to talk with Dave Tippett.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2013, 11:12 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Berube. I don't know much about him as a coach. He was in charge of the PK last year which was 5th in the league but his name hasn't really come up much in coaching searches over the years.
Washington did interview him during their last coaching search, though he was eliminated relatively early.
http://www.comcastsportsnet.com/land...4274&tagID=419

Mystlyfe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 01:22 AM
kolankosf

Looking at our D, Coburn seems to always play well when he's paired with Grossman. I wouldn't really be opposed if they paired up the D like this:

Timonen - Schenn
Streit - Gill
Coburn-Grossman
Gustafson

It's kind of tough where to put Coburn, as he's looking like he's preparing for the Mezsaro's decline. And it's too bad that Alt had been cut, because I thought he preformed just aswell as Gus, Gill and Coburn. Although he did get that "upper body virus" after getting hit by Wilson (weird how that virus happens right away). Either way, I think keeping Timonen and Schenn paired, is better for Schenn's development. Pairing Coburn and Grossman for reason's stated above as shut down D. Unfortunately, the Flyers don't have anyone else to handle top 4 minutes unless they make a trade acquisition, or make room to pick up a free agent D (Ian White?).

kolankosf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 01:30 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Streit-Gill has high potential for disastrous failure. Gill just has no place on this team, not with Lavi at the helm. I'd rather try out Coburn with Streit, to simulate Timonen's puck moving from when they were a pair, and put Grossmann with Gus. Gus is better served getting more experience.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 01:45 AM
Ryker

I don't know about the lineup, but after these pre-season games, I'm just going to list the good, the bad and the ugly:

The Good: Giroux, Timonen, Read, Voracek, Simmonds, Raffl, Streit (on PP)
The Bad: Mason, Emery, Gustafsson, Coburn, Hartnell,
The Ugly: Meszaros, Couturier, Rosehill

The rest I was neutral about.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 01:47 AM
BillDineen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
I don't know about the lineup, but after these pre-season games, I'm just going to list the good, the bad and the ugly:

I think Couturier played better than Simmonds.

BillDineen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 02:05 AM
Jtown

Quote:

Hartnell and couturier look good. Streit does look damn good on the pp.

Old
09-29-2013, 02:20 AM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Hartnell and couturier look good. Streit does look damn good on the pp.
How does Couturier look good? Zero creativity, loses battles on the board constantly, zero production. I don't give a rat's ass if he stopped Malkin that one time, in my eyes he's playing really bad now and that's what matters. I know it's only the pre-season, though, so I'm not going to make any conclusions or preemptive judgements, tempted as I am.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 03:09 AM
Jtown

Quote:
How does Couturier look good? Zero creativity, loses battles on the board constantly, zero production. I don't give a rat's ass if he stopped Malkin that one time, in my eyes he's playing really bad now and that's what matters. I know it's only the pre-season, though, so I'm not going to make any conclusions or preemptive judgements, tempted as I am.
Looked good against the caps. Made an incredible pass to hartnell, probably the best play i've ever seen him make, and to tell you the truth i can't recall seeing that good of a pass in a long time by anyone on the team. He looked bad against new jeresey but they make everyone look bad.

Old
09-29-2013, 05:56 AM
Appleyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Looked good against the caps. Made an incredible pass to hartnell, probably the best play i've ever seen him make, and to tell you the truth i can't recall seeing that good of a pass in a long time by anyone on the team. He looked bad against new jeresey but they make everyone look bad.
Yeh, I would say Couts was probably one of our best 5 players every night apart from against New Jersey. He looks stronger, faster and better on faceoffs than last year.

Hartnell looked good as well.

I thought Simmonds looked out of sorts most of the preseason, I know he had flu, which kind of excuses him.

I also thought that Coburn looked fine apart from the last game.

Old
09-29-2013, 06:36 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleyard View Post
Yeh, I would say Couts was probably one of our best 5 players every night apart from against New Jersey. He looks stronger, faster and better on faceoffs than last year.

Hartnell looked good as well.

I thought Simmonds looked out of sorts most of the preseason, I know he had flu, which kind of excuses him.

I also thought that Coburn looked fine apart from the last game.
This, I would even go as far as to say G, Read and Couts were our three best forwards this preseason with 4th place going to Hartnell. Couts only had one bad game.

Simmer didn't really look good with the puck on his stick but he was hitting hard which is good to see, I imagine the other things will come back with more playing time.

Coburn was Coburn, he was solid for all games but one. Overall Schenn and Kimmo were out best defenders in the preseason, followed by Coburn.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 11:32 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
I really don't know what you've been watching

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 11:52 AM
kolankosf

I hope the Flyers are able to pluck Korbinian Holzer off waivers, the guy really loves to ht, block shots, and gets really dirty infront of the net. He's 6'3, 207 lbs. The Leafs and Leaf fans are always high on this guy and he's always the first to get a callup. Dallas Eakins loved the guy.

Kimo/Schenn
Streit/Holzer
Coburn/ Grossman

Or switch Holzer and Coburn.

kolankosf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 11:58 AM
MP92
Catching flies

Quote:
Everything you just said is wrong. Im sorry to sound like a dick but you have to be blind to come away with that analysis of him. He has 4 points in the 5 games he played this preseason, he's improved significantly on FO's, isn't getting pushed around as much as he used to and overall looks like a more confident player.

MP92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 01:56 PM
flyersfan28

Quote:

laughton and schenns was good

Old
09-29-2013, 02:34 PM
flyersfan018

vCash: 50
Quote:

That's a head scratcher....

I'd also add L. Schenn to good and remove Raffl.

flyersfan018 is offline   Reply With Quote