HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... The Sequel!!

Closed Thread

Old
09-28-2013, 01:04 PM
WhiskeySeven*
Founded: BargainBin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPGoHabsGo View Post
any movie recommendations?

I like historical movies, or a good comedy.
There's a movie called Get Low starring Robert Duvall and Bill Murray. It's pretty good actually.

Old
09-28-2013, 01:04 PM
JPGoHabsGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
This is the end (2013) is last good comedy i saw and comes to mind. Goon (2011) , though i would be surprised if many people on this forum have not watched it yet ;o
Movie 43 (2013) was surprisingly funny considering the terrible reviews it got ^^
if your standards are low for "good comedy", then there are tons of "good" comedies out there. Real "good" comedies are quite rare and hard to pull off.

Historical as in actual fact full history flick or just as in movie with historic setting?
historic setting thats not too "out there"

I was thinking
The Pianist
Moneyball
Ray
Munich
Jerry Maguire
The Hurt Locker

or anything funny...I havent seen pineapple express yet

Old
09-28-2013, 01:09 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
historic setting thats not too "out there"

I was thinking
The Pianist
Moneyball
Ray
Munich
Jerry Maguire
The Hurt Locker

or anything funny...I havent seen pineapple express yet
Watch it ^^

edited my last post, The Slammin' Salmon(2009) worth a look if you like Super Troopers.

for drama/comedies highly recommend Bottle Rocket/Royal Tenenbaums/ Steve Zizou

as for comedy/action, Operation: Endgame (2010) is pretty good for straight to dvd, worth a look too ;o though im a bit biased since im big fan of Rob Corddry, especially since Hot Tub Time Machine ^^

Last edited by uiCk: 09-28-2013 at 01:17 PM.
Old
09-28-2013, 08:56 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
any movie recommendations?

I like historical movies, or a good comedy.
Go watch Rush!

Old
09-29-2013, 03:47 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

I write this almost apologetically, I have watched 6 episodes of The Wire and I am not getting what drives such admiration and devotion to the series. It's got an insane 9.4 rating in IMDB which means that I am in the company of about 5 other people on the planet who aren't into it.

To me it's a plodding story with unlikeable characters and poor writing. Writers Guild rates it in it's top 10 of all time, but with every third word being "fck" the dialogue seems lazy to me. Keep in mind I've had some recent time on my hands and have rolled through BB, , Homeland, Game of Thrones, The Newsroom, and House of Cards and so maybe I've set the bar too high.

In any case I may regret these words, some user reviews in IMDB did warn that the initial 6 episodes or more set the table for what then took off as a great series. And members here haven't really steered me wrong yet. I think I will be patient but it's discouraging at the outset.

And honestly I'd like to punch out Mcnulty with his own fists. He's an insubordinate a-hole with no likeability. And if it's a series built on it's "realistic portrayal" of police work it's got a way to go. Drug raids are not typically done in the middle of the day with police sirens and shouting cops giving everyone notice and time to flee. Cops don't meet with judges to consult on cases. When does "realistic" kick in?

Please someone assure me it gets better.

Old
09-29-2013, 04:25 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
I write this almost apologetically, I have watched 6 episodes of The Wire and I am not getting what drives such admiration and devotion to the series. It's got an insane 9.4 rating in IMDB which means that I am in the company of about 5 other people on the planet who aren't into it.

To me it's a plodding story with unlikeable characters and poor writing. Writers Guild rates it in it's top 10 of all time, but with every third word being "fck" the dialogue seems lazy to me. Keep in mind I've had some recent time on my hands and have rolled through BB, , Homeland, Game of Thrones, The Newsroom, and House of Cards and so maybe I've set the bar too high.

In any case I may regret these words, some user reviews in IMDB did warn that the initial 6 episodes or more set the table for what then took off as a great series. And members here haven't really steered me wrong yet. I think I will be patient but it's discouraging at the outset.

And honestly I'd like to punch out Mcnulty with his own fists. He's an insubordinate a-hole with no likeability. And if it's a series built on it's "realistic portrayal" of police work it's got a way to go. Drug raids are not typically done in the middle of the day with police sirens and shouting cops giving everyone notice and time to flee. Cops don't meet with judges to consult on cases. When does "realistic" kick in?

It's broadly recognised as the greatest American show ever made. Not liking The Wire and liking TV is equivalent to not liking Mozart in spite of liking music, not liking Citizen Kane or Casablanca in spite of liking movies, et cetera. It happens, sometimes people have distinct tastes and sensibilities.

The use of the word "****" doesn't mean poor writing. He's going for a realistic look, which is why the word **** is used. If you pay attention, you'll notice that each of the characters has a different voice. That takes a lot of skill to pull off, most shows don't.

Old
09-29-2013, 04:28 AM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Quote:

if you don't like McNutty then there's a good chance you won't like the show. It's hilarious that one of your reasons for liking him is because he's 'insubordinate'. hahaha.

One of the creators was a life long cop. If every discrepancy with realism is going to effect your enjoyment then I can't think of much hollywood entertainment that you couldn't find problems with. Stuff like that never really bothered me, my suspension of disbelief is infinitely huge.

I think there are aspects of it that are realistic maybe more in it's view of the world more so then the procedural part. Tons of the Wire I didn't find 'realistic' (more so as it goes on for sure) but overall it's philosophy and how it tackles a lot of the issues it brings up is maybe more so where the realism comes from. If details like the ones you mentioned are going to continue to bother you then it's not going to get any better, hahaha.

I don't think I heard as much of the 'best show ever' hype before I watched it so that probably helped. I was just about continually in awe by the show and I think it might be the best show I've ever watched.

I'd tell you to stick with it. If you can shake the realism stigma and the enormous hype it will definitely help. I've been in that spot before and all you do is just kind of look for faults and everything wrong gets magnified.

oh yeah and the character arc of a lot of these guys' renders them more likeable as the show goes on for sure.

Old
09-29-2013, 04:44 AM
DAChampion

David Simon, the creator of The Wire, who is probably embarrassed by all the fame, likes to tell people that Buffy: The Vampire Slayer is the greatest show ever made.

Also a very strong candidate. It's incredibly realistic, in the allegorical sense.

Old
09-29-2013, 04:45 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
It's broadly recognised as the greatest American show ever made. Not liking The Wire and liking TV is equivalent to not liking Mozart in spite of liking music, not liking Citizen Kane or Casablanca in spite of liking movies, et cetera. It happens, sometimes people have distinct tastes and sensibilities.

The use of the word "****" doesn't mean poor writing. He's going for a realistic look, which is why the word **** is used. If you pay attention, you'll notice that each of the characters has a different voice. That takes a lot of skill to pull off, most shows don't.
Whoa, I am not going to feel this much guilt. As close to consensus of "Greatest American Show Ever Made" is The Sopranos. It's the top of most lists, including the writers guild list I quoted.

As I said I am 6 episodes in, I will plod on, much like the series seems to be doing in it's character development phase.

Old
09-29-2013, 04:48 AM
uiCk
GrEmelins

What sets the wire apart from other TV shows is that it is about the "substance" more then predictable and ****** character development (which is soap opera formula, reason why I can't watch bb and dexter type of shows, because they are basically General Hospital with a more exciting environment.)

Old
09-29-2013, 04:49 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Whoa, I am not going to feel this much guilt. As close to consensus of "Greatest American Show Ever Made" is The Sopranos. It's the top of most lists, including the writers guild list I quoted.

As I said I am 6 episodes in, I will plod on, much like the series seems to be doing in it's character development phase.
Don't feel guilt, that's my point. We all sometimes dislike things that are very good. It's fine.

Old
09-29-2013, 05:31 AM
Mr. Hab

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2229499/

Don Jon:

Anyone here watch ''Don Jon'' recently?

Josh Gordon-Levitt
Scarlett Johansson

Romantic-Comedy

Worth it?
Or...wait for the video/DVD!!

Old
09-29-2013, 05:36 AM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

I didnt see it mentioned here but there is a show you guys have to check out, its called Banshee. I just finished ep 3 and im hooked.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2017109/

Old
09-29-2013, 06:01 AM
25get

Blacklist is just starting.
Certainly worth a look.

Old
09-29-2013, 06:34 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Just watched Mud, I was very impressed and surprised by the quality of this movie.

Old
09-29-2013, 07:22 AM
DAChampion

I just watched Pan't Labyrinth, I'm shocked by how good that was.

Old
09-29-2013, 07:33 AM
ourobouros

12 hours before the grand finale of breaking bad!!!! cant wait!

Old
09-29-2013, 07:36 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
I just watched Pan't Labyrinth, I'm shocked by how good that was.
A freakin' masterpiece.

If you really want to be blown away by GDT's genius then watch the making of the movie and also watch it with commentary. There are so many small details and layers to the story that were sure to be missed in your initial viewing.

I would also recommend The Devil's Backbone, an earlier GDT film and my favourite ghost film of all time.

Old
09-29-2013, 07:40 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ourobouros View Post

12 hours before the grand finale of breaking bad!!!! cant wait!
my body isn't ready

Old
09-29-2013, 07:41 AM
DAChampion

Pan's Labyrinth
IMDB: 8.3/10
Rotten Tomatoes: 96%
Oscars: Best art direction, best cinematography, best makeup, also nominated for best original score, best original screenplay, and best foreign language film.
Director: Guillermo Del Toro
Language: Spanish, adequate English subtitles included

Jim Emerson Review:
http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/pans-labyrinth-2006

Peter Travers Review:
http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/r...rinth-20061229

I never watched Pan's Labyrinth when it came out because I thought it was a movie about Peter Pan. That turned out to be mistaken. I've been reading sporadic reports about how good it is over time, and I recently picked it up off a blu-ray rack... and wow. This is an excellent piece of work.

This is, as far as I can tell, a completely original work, that is one part fantasy, and one part period piece (Spain in 1941). Both aspects make for independently interesting movies, and when combined together... it just doesn't feel like a forced merger of two distinct, parallel films, they work very well together as the movie shifts from fantasy to Spain to fantasy, without losing a beat. There are some homages to other fantasy works that I recognised, there are probably more that I didn't realise were there, but overall, this was one great pleasure of a film. I just logged in to imdb to give it a 9/10. I would give an independent 8or9/10 to both the Spanish civil war movie and the fantasy component, and the fact they mesh so well together is a win.

I also can't help but be tremendously impressed with Guillermo Del Toro's ability to make movies in Spanish and English; that can be legitimately set in the USA, Spain, or China; that can be science fiction, fantasy, or period pieces, and to be able to build strong characters that need not always be of the same race, the same gender, or even the same personality type. Blade, Hellboy, Ofelia, Raliehg, etc etc are all quite distinct from one another. In Pan's Labyrinth alone, I count some at least six characters worth remembering: Ofelia, Ofelia's mom, Mercedes, the stepdad/captain, the pan, and the doctor.

Old
09-29-2013, 07:46 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post

If you really want to be blown away by GDT's genius then watch the making of the movie and also watch it with commentary. There are so many small details and layers to the story that were sure to be missed in your initial viewing.

I would also recommend The Devil's Backbone, an earlier GDT film and my favourite ghost film of all time.
Thank you for the recommendations.

And for you: watch The Fighter if you have not already. I saw that earlier this week, a well done film. I'm a little biased: Amy Adams is my celebrity crush of the moment.

But, also great performances by Melissa Leo and Christian Bale.

Old
09-29-2013, 07:50 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Thank you for the recommendations.

And for you: watch The Fighter if you have not already. I saw that earlier this week, a well done film. I'm a little biased: Amy Adams is my celebrity crush of the moment.

But, also great performances by Melissa Leo and Christian Bale.
I saw The Fighter when it first came out and loved it.

Old
09-29-2013, 07:51 AM
DAChampion

They're making a sequel to The Fighter concerning the fights with Gatti.

Should be popular in Montreal.

ETA: Roger Ebert has the most useful review of Pan's Labyrinth:
http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/gr...labyrinth-2006

Last edited by DAChampion: 09-29-2013 at 08:03 AM.
Old
09-29-2013, 08:05 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
They're making a sequel concerning the fights with Gatti.

Should be popular in Montreal.
That should be interesting as the Gatti fights are what Ward is mostly recognized for by the general public.

Are Wahlberg and Bale also involved with this one?

Old
09-29-2013, 08:15 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
That should be interesting as the Gatti fights are what Ward is mostly recognized for by the general public.

Are Wahlberg and Bale also involved with this one?
I don't know if Bale is coming back, I hope so. The movie does seem in development hell:
http://www.theguardian.com/film/2012...-mark-wahlberg

Interestingly, one review I saw of the movie said it was disappointing, because it didn't include the fights with Gatti, and said this would be like making a Franklin Roosevelt movie that stopped in 1941. I thought that was a weak criticism. I'd love to see a really good FDR biopic that was focused on the period 1933-1941.

Closed Thread