HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Forget the Pre-season, its time to roll !

Old
09-29-2013, 10:36 AM
SgtJoseph

vCash: 500
Forget the Pre-season, its time to roll !

Looking forward to the start of the season and i am not nearly as negative about this team as many folks seem to be. I rode my Harley up to South Jersey last week from Florida and got to attend the Flyers/ Devils game Tuesday in Philly and even though the Flyers lost and had a SLOW first period they had their fair share of scoring chances and just could not finish until Kimmo netted one late. Both Jersey goals were lessons in patience with the puck, nothing more.
I thought Harts and Matt Read were our 2 best players ( Harts skating looked improved to me ? ) . Gus was pretty bad, not sure why Bourdon is not playing instead, Gus looked pretty unsure of himself to put it mildly.

Did not get to see the whole team of course which gives me optimism that with our whole team especially our little ball of hate out there hitting and solid goal tending that can move the the puck as well we will fare much better than last year.I am always upbeat about our club at the start of each season and don't start to panic till around Christmas, hopefully Santa will be good to us !

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 10:41 AM
Prongo
Beer

****ing right!

I am always a glass half full type of guy, if the problematic play continues into the season for an extended time I will start to worry.

People were making comments before about being realist as well, I understand that and would say I am one as well. I just think this team is too talented to struggle as much as it did this year and in the preseason. I understand we will have some shortcomings, but overall, this team is structured like a playoff team. If they are not in that picture 25 games in, then change is needed.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 10:47 AM
StandingCow

I hope you are right, but everything problem I saw from last year I also saw in preseason... it felt almost like last season never ended. I really saw little to no promise that anything system side had been learned or altered. The gap between forwards and D is still too large and our goalie is left out to dry.

It should be an interesting season, I really hope all my fears are put to rest after the first few games..

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 10:54 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

I'll be happier when Laviolette is let go and they bring in a coach to simplify things and add some much needed defensive structure to this group. Agreed that there is quite a bit of talent here and they're way too good to be this bad. At the same time, when you've got a coach that throws crap at a wall to see what sticks and bases his game plan off that, you're going to be in a lot of trouble every night.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 10:56 AM
BillDineen

roll .... over and die?

BillDineen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 10:56 AM
dats81

The positive is that this team hasn't been that healthy for a loooong time.

The negative thing is that they always seem to play their best hockey when decimated and with their backs to the wall.
A lot of key players need to amp up and get in game shape NOW or this is gonna get very ugly by end of October.

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 11:02 AM
MountainHawk

The Flyers just aren't going to be exciting again until the owner goes so we can clean house and get a management team that will build a 21st century hockey team, where people like Sestito, Shelley, and Rosehill never ever have a contract wasted on them.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 09-29-2013 at 11:20 AM. Reason: No injuries (or die) references; within site rules
MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 11:09 AM
flyershockey

The positives for me:
1. Giroux looks poised to have a great season with 85 plus points and maybe 30 goals. His one timer is getting filthy.

2. Matt Read is going to establish himself as a top six forward season. By the 25 game mark, he'll have bumped one of Simmonds, Hartnell, or Schenn to the third line.

3. Hartnell's in great shape, which he wasn't to start last year.

4. Schenn and Kimmo both look great, and we might have a legitimate top pair this year.

5. Couturier looks poised for a break out year. He looks much stronger and faster. He'll definitely be getting some power play time.

The rest is just kind of meh.

flyershockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 11:27 AM
Dirty but Good
but mostly dirty

I believe this IS a good team. They just need to get a little confidence.

Dirty but Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 11:34 AM
BringBackStevens

They should be better than last year, but there is something not right with this club. This division is going to be really tough. Pitt is a lock, then every other team should be highly competitive.

Right now, I'm leaning towards narrow miss of the playoffs

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 11:57 AM
The Dream
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
The positives for me:
1. Giroux looks poised to have a great season with 85 plus points and maybe 30 goals. His one timer is getting filthy.

2. Matt Read is going to establish himself as a top six forward season. By the 25 game mark, he'll have bumped one of Simmonds, Hartnell, or Schenn to the third line.

3. Hartnell's in great shape, which he wasn't to start last year.

4. Schenn and Kimmo both look great, and we might have a legitimate top pair this year.

5. Couturier looks poised for a break out year. He looks much stronger and faster. He'll definitely be getting some power play time.

The rest is just kind of meh.
IMO Giroux could put up 100 points this year, he looks good.

And Couturier's pass to Hartnell last game was sick, he is gonna be solid this year.

The Dream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 12:13 PM
Flyerss

vCash: 50
the only thing that scares me is those times when the offense can't even get their hand on the puck and they just forget how to score goals.

Flyerss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 12:14 PM
Go For It

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
Looking forward to the start of the season and i am not nearly as negative about this team as many folks seem to be. I rode my Harley up to South Jersey last week from Florida and got to attend the Flyers/ Devils game Tuesday in Philly and even though the Flyers lost and had a SLOW first period they had their fair share of scoring chances and just could not finish until Kimmo netted one late. Both Jersey goals were lessons in patience with the puck, nothing more.
I thought Harts and Matt Read were our 2 best players ( Harts skating looked improved to me ? ) . Gus was pretty bad, not sure why Bourdon is not playing instead, Gus looked pretty unsure of himself to put it mildly.

Did not get to see the whole team of course which gives me optimism that with our whole team especially our little ball of hate out there hitting and solid goal tending that can move the the puck as well we will fare much better than last year.I am always upbeat about our club at the start of each season and don't start to panic till around Christmas, hopefully Santa will be good to us !
Bourdon is still having problems related to his concussions.

Go For It is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 01:23 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
The Flyers just aren't going to be exciting again until the owner goes so we can clean house and get a management team that will build a 21st century hockey team, where people like Sestito, Shelley, and Rosehill never ever have a contract wasted on them.
I'm not much of a fan of Snider these days but that has minimal effect on why we are currently in the state we are.

You don't want guys like them on the roster then tell the other 29 teams to stop employing them as well.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 01:27 PM
SgtJoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go For It View Post
Bourdon is still having problems related to his concussions.
Thanks ! did not realize he was still having problems .

Old
09-29-2013, 01:45 PM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I'm not much of a fan of Snider these days but that has minimal effect on why we are currently in the state we are.

You don't want guys like them on the roster then tell the other 29 teams to stop employing them as well.
People who act like the Flyers are the only team to employ fighters drive me nuts.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 01:49 PM
SgtJoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
People who act like the Flyers are the only team to employ fighters drive me nuts.
Exactly !

Old
09-29-2013, 02:17 PM
no1b4me

They will be a 7-9th place team. As long as people realize that everything is all good. And having Terry Murray as the coach after 12 games will ensure that.

no1b4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 02:26 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
And those other teams are stupid for doing it too.

Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 03:07 PM
flyersfan28

Quote:
yeah if the flyers play a 4 line with : zolnierczyk-wellwood- nodl
they win the cup every years lol

flyersfan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 03:26 PM
flyersfan018

vCash: 50
I'm cautiously optimistic like I am for the beginning of every new season. Let's hope they don't let me down.

flyersfan018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 03:29 PM
nuclear reactor

Quote:
Oh yeah if the Flyers aren't good this year it will be because their 13th forward is a fighter.

nuclear reactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 03:46 PM
MountainHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclear reactor View Post
Oh yeah if the Flyers aren't good this year it will be because their 13th forward is a fighter.
It will be because the mentality that we need to have tough players instead of skill players.

Toughness is important, but you can get that from people with actual hockey skill.

Who is Detroit's goon? Pittsburgh's? Chicago's?

Teams like Toronto and the Flyers have goons. You know what else is similar about them? No Cups since black and white TV still existed.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 03:52 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
It will be because the mentality that we need to have tough players instead of skill players.

Toughness is important, but you can get that from people with actual hockey skill.

Teams like Toronto and the Flyers have goons. You know what else is similar about them? No Cups since black and white TV still existed.
Detroit has Tootoo, Pittsburgh has Engelland, & Chicago had Carcillo last year. These guys aren't just 13th forwards or 7th defensemen like Rosehill is so that theory fails.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 03:53 PM
Curufinwe

Quote:

Anaheim led the league in fighting when they won the cup and Boston was second in the league in fights when they won it two years ago.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote