HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Realistic Destinations for Lundqvist

Old
09-29-2013, 12:23 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( ē_ē)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Of all the times Holmgren could open up the checkbook and not look ridiculous. This would be it. That said, I would be absolutely astonished if Lundqvist leaves New York.

Pittsburgh is another team I could see making a huge pitch.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 12:27 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langdon Alger View Post
Calgary's going to have piles of cap space next summer and owners who aren't afraid to spend. Money talks.
Nobody cares how much cap space Calgary has. They are a rebuilding team. And they can't offer him 8 years.

Alfie could have gotten a heftier contract than what Detroit offered him. Why didn't he sign in Calgary for more? It's because he wants to win a Cup.

So does Lundqvist. And that's exactly why he wont' sign in Calgary for all the money in the world. He's not leaving NY, a competitive team that's made the playoffs every single year except for 1, for a couple thousand more dollars to play in Calgary.

Keep dreaming.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 12:47 PM
Langdon Alger*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
Nobody cares how much cap space Calgary has. They are a rebuilding team. And they can't offer him 8 years.

Alfie could have gotten a heftier contract than what Detroit offered him. Why didn't he sign in Calgary for more? It's because he wants to win a Cup.

So does Lundqvist. And that's exactly why he wont' sign in Calgary for all the money in the world. He's not leaving NY, a competitive team that's made the playoffs every single year except for 1, for a couple thousand more dollars to play in Calgary.

Keep dreaming.
I don't think the NYR will let Lundqvist leave either - mostly because he's 90 per cent of the reason they've been competitive - but if it does come to that, what current contender could he go to that has the cap space and the vacancy in net? Pittsburgh would make sense, but they've got an awful lot of huge contracts already and would have to buy Fleury out to make the numbers work. Maybe Philly? NY Islanders, if Wang can be persuaded to break the bank? Edmonton, if they aren't comfortable with Dubnyk?

Lundqvist may wind up having to accept a hometown discount if he wants to play for the NYR or another contender. If he goes for the money, though, he may have to go somewhere that's trying to get to contender status rather than win now. He certainly would help turn any team into one a lot faster.

Langdon Alger* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 12:55 PM
Binary Code
How do I change that

vCash: 180
New York, don't even bother he won't go anywhere else.

Binary Code is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 01:03 PM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

The only destination I'd like to see Lundqvist get to is between the pipes. He hasn't been there all preseason.

DEUTSCHLANDWELTMEISTER2014
Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 01:03 PM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJMazzarone View Post
Calgary perhaps? MacDonald's contract I believe is up after this year and Henrik is still relatively young (for a goalie as some goalies play into their 40s) and could give the Flames a potential solid 7-8 years as their goaltender. Flames have the cap space to spend as well...
No way he leaves NY for Calgary.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 01:04 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
I think he stays in NY but if he leaves Philly makes the most sense they will find a way to make it work and will throw mad money at him.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 01:05 PM
Ceremony
Just don't forget

vCash: 499
I would love to see the Islanders, partly because it would be the Isl... in fact, completely because it would be the Islanders. They'd give him an 8 year/12 million deal and he'd turn it down. And you could probably put their whole team out for that kind of price.

Anyway, realistic destination for Lundquist is where he is right now. He ain't moving.

ďItís embarrassing. Iím embarrassed to be here right now. Itís not even funny. And itís just embarrassing, the way we, you know, the energy we have in the room and the way we approach practices and the way we approach this game. Itís not how youíre going to win any games in this league." - Jean-Sebastien Giguere, April 8 2013
Ceremony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 01:08 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Personally, if Henrik leaves NY it's Pittsburgh that makes the most sense. Even at the expense of one of: Neal, Kunitz, Orpik, Martin (guys who make significant money, obviously not equally valued) along with Fleury (obviously). If Pittsburgh has Lundqvist (and health) they're a dynasty.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 01:18 PM
Eggtimer

I cannot see him leaving the Rangers. Only possible way is if the rangers low ball him which I cannot imagine happening.
I know alot of people say Pittsburg would be a somewhat plausible destination , but what about St.louis? They are in my opinion the only team has a slightly better roster than the Rangers that have a need for a starting goalie next year.
I'm not sure on what the Blues cap situation is like and if they have an internal budget or not , but with the cap going up next year , both their goalies are UFA"s after this season , I would think the Blues would be an ideal landing spot for Hank assuming the cap room , need for a goalie, and the roster they have is very competitive?

Having said all that , I cannot see the Rangers letting Hank go , even if it means somewhat crippling the roster with a huge cap hit. I would not be surprised at all that he is given 8 years @ max as be deserves it . Using Rinne and Rask contracts as benchmarks , how can you pay him less than 6.5 per?
He is worth the max , however if your a ranger fan , you hope he takes a discount to stay in NY , just not sure if Hank is that type of guy

Eggtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 01:21 PM
KingsHockey24

Top 5.

1. New York Rangers
2. Calgary Flames
3. Tampa Bay Lightning
4. Florida Panthers
5. Colorado Avalanche

KingsHockey24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 01:21 PM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pronounced Anders View Post
Give Tampa Lundqvist and we probably turn into contenders. He won't have to worry about goal support, at least.
Jean would probably ruin him too .

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 01:25 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsHockey24 View Post
Top 5.

1. New York Rangers
2. Calgary Flames
3. Tampa Bay Lightning
4. Florida Panthers
5. Colorado Avalanche
He won't go to a bottom feeder like the Panthers or Flames. NYR, Flyers, Pens, Lightning, NYI make the most sense.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 01:25 PM
trick9

vCash: 50
Blues seems like the only fit to me if he were to leave the Rangers.

He will stay though.

trick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 01:26 PM
Eggtimer

Top 5
1.rangers
2.rangers
3.rangers
4.st.loius
5.rangers

Old
09-29-2013, 01:27 PM
hughdreamz

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsHockey24 View Post
Top 5.

1. New York Rangers
2. Calgary Flames
3. Tampa Bay Lightning
4. Florida Panthers
5. Colorado Avalanche
Agree with this. As an Avs fan id love to see Roy get Lundqvist in the burgundy and blue.

hughdreamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 01:34 PM
StrongIslanders90

I don't see why he would leave NYR....

but if he did it would have to be to a contender with a lot of good contracts so they have the room to sign him...

the King could always come home to Kings county and still stay in NY....

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 01:38 PM
Eggtimer

Any and every team of course would want the best goalie in the nhl on their team ( arguably the best I know, Rask Quick on same level)
Just don't see him leaving NY and only slight possible way he leaves is not to be a merc
Making max contract.... It would also have to be a team that has a legitimate chance of winning .
As it has been stated before , there are only a few teams that meet the criteria:
1. Cup contender
2. Don't already have a 1a goalie (quick Rask Crawford Howard )
3. Have the cap room and $$ to offer max contract

I think that leaves MAYBE Pittsburg
St.louis and a long shot of Tampa Bay if they finish strong this year

Other teams that have cap room and need a goalie are not contenders yet and will be a couple years away from that
Teams like the Islanders , avalanche , panthers , oilers , are still a few years out from being true contenders and too risky to stick it out until they are viable contenders while Hanks prime years are ticking away

Old
09-29-2013, 01:46 PM
Eggtimer

I could see {mod} signing a two or three year deal at a discount , giving the rangers one last shot at winning the cup , if it doesn't happen in those years , then signing on with a cup favorite for a hopeful run for a ring ala Bourque

Last edited by Killion: 09-29-2013 at 01:53 PM. Reason: not req'd...
Old
09-29-2013, 01:51 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
Captain Tavares

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceremony View Post
I would love to see the Islanders, partly because it would be the Isl... in fact, completely because it would be the Islanders. They'd give him an 8 year/12 million deal and he'd turn it down. And you could probably put their whole team out for that kind of price.

Anyway, realistic destination for Lundquist is where he is right now. He ain't moving.
Why would he turn it down? The Rangers finished a whole one point ahead of us. He wouldn't have to move either.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 01:51 PM
VoicexOfxReason
you cant do that

Why does anyone on the planet think that Henrik isnt going to re-sign in new york? What indication does anyone have that he wont stay a ranger?

VoicexOfxReason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 02:03 PM
aemoreira1981

To me, it's not so much the AAV as much as the term that will be the issue. The Rangers will likely offer at least $7.5M per...but the term is probably going to be hairy. The cap will likely rise significantly in the next several years.

aemoreira1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 02:04 PM
Eggtimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoicexOfxReason View Post
Why does anyone on the planet think that Henrik isnt going to re-sign in new york? What indication does anyone have that he wont stay a ranger?
None. I myself am just giving possibilities in the very very slight chance that he does not resign
Stranger things have happened , but in this case do not see any signs at all that indicate him not resigning

He is the face of the franchise , loves it in NY , and the Rangers would be screwed without him

Old
09-29-2013, 02:18 PM
HooliganX2

vCash: 772
He will resign with the Rangers. There is no chance for St Louis they aren't going to invest that much money in a goalie when they have other areas that will be much bigger needs.

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 02:59 PM
66-29-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dactyl View Post
why so many threads about lundqvist leaving the rangers
Because he has 1 year left, Pens fans went through this with Malkin even though we all knew Malkin was staying in Pittsburgh, like Lundqvist will stay in NYR. I'd like Lundqvist with the Pens for sure. Fleury(5M) bought out, Orpik(3.75M) let go to UFA, Glass (1.1M) gone, Vokoun (2M) gone, Niskanen (2.5M) gone, , cap will rise by like 8M or something. Sign Lundqvist 8.5M for 6 years, Keep Jokinen around, sign Sutter short term, sign a chap backup. Pens caneasily afford him while replacing the guys we lost with cheaper guys who can do just as good.

66-29-33 is offline   Reply With Quote