HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... The Sequel!!

Closed Thread

Old
09-29-2013, 08:28 AM
Estimated_Prophet

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
I don't know if Bale is coming back, I hope so. The movie does seem in development hell:
http://www.theguardian.com/film/2012...-mark-wahlberg

Interestingly, one review I saw of the movie said it was disappointing, because it didn't include the fights with Gatti, and said this would be like making a Franklin Roosevelt movie that stopped in 1941. I thought that was a weak criticism. I'd love to see a really good FDR biopic that was focused on the period 1933-1941.
Nothing more irritating then people who criticize an artist for not including subject matter that they find to be more interesting or politically angled toward their personal bias. As Eastwood said to Spike Lee "If you don't like it go make your own damn movie" in reference to Lee's pathetic and transparent criticism of Flags of Our Fathers.

Old
09-29-2013, 08:41 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
Nothing more irritating then people who criticize an artist for not including subject matter that they find to be more interesting or politically angled toward their personal bias. As Eastwood said to Spike Lee "If you don't like it go make your own damn movie" in reference to Lee's pathetic and transparent criticism of Flags of Our Fathers.
I don't even see it as a fanboy issue (though you're right about that), more of an ignorance issue. Ward before Gatti is an interesting story, as was FDR before 1941.

As an English teacher told me in College, decades ago, it's important to judge writers on what they do write, and not on what they could write, as the latter list is one of infinite failures.

Old
09-29-2013, 10:35 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
Just watched Mud, I was very impressed and surprised by the quality of this movie.
Definitely on my list of movies to see.

Old
09-29-2013, 11:15 AM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
Definitely on my list of movies to see.
You gotta be aware that it is a very slow paced movie and not much happens in it. I see why people like it, it's beautifully crafted and it's very caracter based. I think it's well acted and well directed but it lacks substance imo. I didn't really get into it.

Old
09-29-2013, 12:48 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Parkland is due to be released next week. Looks like it didn't get a good reception by TIFF audiences. Disappointing.

Old
09-29-2013, 12:54 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Cant wait for Breaking Bad.

Old
09-29-2013, 01:15 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
I write this almost apologetically, I have watched 6 episodes of The Wire and I am not getting what drives such admiration and devotion to the series. It's got an insane 9.4 rating in IMDB which means that I am in the company of about 5 other people on the planet who aren't into it.

To me it's a plodding story with unlikeable characters and poor writing. Writers Guild rates it in it's top 10 of all time, but with every third word being "fck" the dialogue seems lazy to me. Keep in mind I've had some recent time on my hands and have rolled through BB, , Homeland, Game of Thrones, The Newsroom, and House of Cards and so maybe I've set the bar too high.

In any case I may regret these words, some user reviews in IMDB did warn that the initial 6 episodes or more set the table for what then took off as a great series. And members here haven't really steered me wrong yet. I think I will be patient but it's discouraging at the outset.

And honestly I'd like to punch out Mcnulty with his own fists. He's an insubordinate a-hole with no likeability. And if it's a series built on it's "realistic portrayal" of police work it's got a way to go. Drug raids are not typically done in the middle of the day with police sirens and shouting cops giving everyone notice and time to flee. Cops don't meet with judges to consult on cases. When does "realistic" kick in?

Please someone assure me it gets better.
The Wire is solid, stick with it.

I'm not sure you're in touch with reality on this one. Maybe you should spend some time in serious nasty ghettos. You'll see that the dialogue and drug raids mid day are close to reality.
As for detectives being in touch with some judges, I don't see why you have a hard time believing this. They do the same thing, put criminals behind bars. So ya, it's very possible that they discuss cases.

I agree that I wouldn't give it such an amazing rating, but it's a real good show.

Old
09-29-2013, 01:20 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post
Cant wait for Breaking Bad.
I won't be able to watch it until tomorrow, so no spoilers.

Old
09-29-2013, 02:11 PM
habsfanatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
What sets the wire apart from other TV shows is that it is about the "substance" more then predictable and ****** character development (which is soap opera formula, reason why I can't watch bb and dexter type of shows, because they are basically General Hospital with a more exciting environment.)
I just finished 2nd season of Breaking Bad and have a real hard time figuring out the hype. I'm watching because I was told how great it was, I've been completely underwhelmed to this point. Probably one of a few who isn't a big fan.

Old
09-29-2013, 03:01 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Awesome SNL opening with Jesse from Breaking Bad. Finale tonight should be good. Love the way they tied this into the whole Obamacare crap that's going on in the States. Pretty funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
I just finished 2nd season of Breaking Bad and have a real hard time figuring out the hype. I'm watching because I was told how great it was, I've been completely underwhelmed to this point. Probably one of a few who isn't a big fan.
I don't think it's CORSI rating is very high but it somehow manages to succeed...

Just kidding. To each their own. For what it's worth though, season 3 is better and season 4 is great.

Old
09-29-2013, 03:15 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Canada's Mod

Quote:
I felt the same way during season 2. It dragged on pretty hard. Got a bit more interesting at the end, but season 3 is where it seems to start getting really good.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
Old
09-29-2013, 03:30 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Watch GoT, it is much better.

Old
09-29-2013, 04:00 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Rolling Stone is doing a series of interviews with the cast and writers (one per day) and it's interesting to read Skyler's. Apparently Vince Gilligan can't believe that folks are still sympathetic to Walt. Some of these are really cool, the one with Saul is great.

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/n...roost-20130923

Here's Vince's interview:
http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/n...vader-20130925

Last edited by Lafleurs Guy: 09-29-2013 at 04:07 PM.
Old
09-29-2013, 04:03 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
It gets better and better, but sometimes people get disappointed due to hype. If you started wachting with no expectations, you might like it more.

In any event, I suggest you keep watching, a big reason why this show is good is the character evolution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Watch GoT, it is much better.
I think it comes down to what type of show you prefer. You can't really compare a show that's realistic set in the present to a fantasy set in the middle ages.

For the record, GoT is my favorite show, because I love those type of shows/movies, but BB is up there too.

Old
09-29-2013, 04:23 PM
habsfanatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
It gets better and better, but sometimes people get disappointed due to hype. If you started wachting with no expectations, you might like it more.

In any event, I suggest you keep watching, a big reason why this show is good is the character evolution.

I think it comes down to what type of show you prefer. You can't really compare a show that's realistic set in the present to a fantasy set in the middle ages.

For the record, GoT is my favorite show, because I love those type of shows/movies, but BB is up there too.
So far there has been nothing realistic about breaking bad from what I've seen imo and Hanks poor acting is very annoying. I'm going to keep watching, but I expected better and maybe I'll enjoy season 3 more.

Old
09-29-2013, 04:32 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
So far there has been nothing realistic about breaking bad from what I've seen imo and Hanks poor acting is very annoying. I'm going to keep watching, but I expected better and maybe I'll enjoy season 3 more.
Hank becomes a much more complex (and interesting character) as the series evolves. At the beginning he's a goof but that changes over time. Since you haven't seen the show I won't comment more than this but his character changes dramatically. I didn't like him at all at the beginning (and that was by the writer's design btw) but by the end he's probably my favourite character.

Old
09-29-2013, 04:56 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
By realistic I meant the plot, the setting. It's not an impossible scenario.

Old
09-29-2013, 05:31 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
I am FREAKING OUT!

Old
09-29-2013, 05:59 PM
poetryinmotion

Well this finale should be better than Dexter's.

Old
09-29-2013, 06:47 PM
habsfanatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Hank becomes a much more complex (and interesting character) as the series evolves. At the beginning he's a goof but that changes over time. Since you haven't seen the show I won't comment more than this but his character changes dramatically. I didn't like him at all at the beginning (and that was by the writer's design btw) but by the end he's probably my favourite character.
It's not the character that bothers me, it's the actor, he's terrible. I think he was in under the dome or something too and he was equally terrible in that.

Old
09-29-2013, 07:03 PM
peate

vCash: 595
Quote:
It's not the character that bothers me, it's the actor, he's terrible. I think he was in under the dome or something too and he was equally terrible in that.
He was the dad in Malcolm in the middle. Funny guy if you ask me and not a bad actor by any means.

Old
09-29-2013, 07:14 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Old
09-29-2013, 07:18 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
his face and demeanor is a walking stereotype that he slowly demolishes in a way not seen often on tv.

Old
09-29-2013, 10:42 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Best. Finale. Ever.

Old
09-29-2013, 10:54 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Best. Finale. Ever.
I expected most of it to happen, but it was still a great one.

Closed Thread