HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Where does Montreal finish in the Atlantic?

Old
09-29-2013, 04:36 PM
Lafleurs Guy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Game View Post
The TSN PANEL for the 2013 NHL season preview just predicted that the Habs will finish 5th in the Atlantic, and won't make the playoffs, not even a wild card spot. Big surprise here #not
I'm surprised by this. I've definitely spoke at length on the weaknesses of our team but I think we have too many strengths not to at least make the playoffs. Yes we've got a physically weak defense core but we move the puck very, very well. If we don't have the best offensive group of blueliners in the league it's got to be pretty close. Our forwards while not the biggest definitely have skill and Price is a strong goalie who can log lots of games.

The real hole that I think we might have to plug would be with a shutdown guy but we should be a playoff team at least. The playoffs? Different story.

Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 04:52 PM
BigDaddyLurch
of the Clan MacPRICE

Quote:
The TSN PANEL for the 2013 NHL season preview just predicted that the Habs will finish 5th in the Atlantic, and won't make the playoffs, not even a wild card spot. Big surprise here #not
TSN also predicted the Habs to finish 13th in the East last year, I believe...they finished 2nd...they predicted the Oilers to finish 5th in the Pacific, anyone wanna wage that they do?

BigDaddyLurch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 05:20 PM
Pricenyuk
Montreal961

TSN always has us out of the playoffs. It is actually comical how often they are wrong about their predictions.

I honestly would be worried if they had predicted us to be in the playoffs this year.

Pricenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 05:57 PM
TinordiandSubban

I'm going to go out on a limb by myself and pick Ottawa to win the division, in a close race with the Habs.

1-Ottawa-Very strong top six and pp, good depth well coached. Anderson may come down to earth but Lehner could also step in and do a better job.
2-Montreal - Patches looks ready for a monster year and Markov-Subban kills with the man advantage. Price benefits from new coach.
3-Boston - Struggles on pp continue, Chara shows his age but Lucy and Loui fill the net and Rask covers the gaps in defence.
4-Detroit - Veterans are banged up in new division and the kids aren't ready, but enough class to hang on to a playoff spot.
5-Toronto-they become most-hated team in the league and their last game of season loss at the Bell Center knocks them out of the playoffs to much cheering.
6-Tampa Bay - new coach brings in his Calder Cup stars and they impress but goaltending is still a weakness
7-Buffalo - some improvement but a late season sell off sees them hit bottom
8-Florida - best prospect pool in the league but least motivated players

TinordiandSubban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 06:16 PM
Smoky Thompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinordiandSubban View Post
I'm going to go out on a limb by myself and pick Ottawa to win the division, in a close race with the Habs.

1-Ottawa-Very strong top six and pp, good depth well coached. Anderson may come down to earth but Lehner could also step in and do a better job.
2-Montreal - Patches looks ready for a monster year and Markov-Subban kills with the man advantage. Price benefits from new coach.
3-Boston - Struggles on pp continue, Chara shows his age but Lucy and Loui fill the net and Rask covers the gaps in defence.
4-Detroit - Veterans are banged up in new division and the kids aren't ready, but enough class to hang on to a playoff spot.
5-Toronto-they become most-hated team in the league and their last game of season loss at the Bell Center knocks them out of the playoffs to much cheering.
I like it

Smoky Thompson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 06:30 PM
SPLBRUIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinordiandSubban View Post

6-Tampa Bay - new coach brings in his Calder Cup stars and they impress but goaltending is still a weakness
7-Buffalo - some improvement but a late season sell off sees them hit bottom
8-Florida - best prospect pool in the league but least motivated players
Hate to break it to you but Ottawa's top 6 dosen't even compare to Boston's, their 2nd line is Turris, MacArthur and Conacher, that's just not very good. Barring a lot of injuries it's unlikely anyone but Boston finishes 1st, this team is on paper arguably their best team in 30 years.

SPLBRUIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 06:43 PM
jedimyrmidon

Quote:
The TSN panel was too busy drooling over Anderson to notice many important Habs going down to injury (Pacs, ELLER, Gionta, Prust, Price) and that ridiculous kicked in goal + 2 sketchy icing calls that killed the Habs in Game 4 to give a fair judgement.

jedimyrmidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 07:03 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPLBRUIN View Post
Hate to break it to you but Ottawa's top 6 dosen't even compare to Boston's, their 2nd line is Turris, MacArthur and Conacher, that's just not very good. Barring a lot of injuries it's unlikely anyone but Boston finishes 1st, this team is on paper arguably their best team in 30 years.
Perhaps. Boston is not as good this year than last year. They have almost no scoring depth beyond their top-2 lines and they lost some leadership too. They're still the favourites to win the division, but I'm not sold they're better. Ottawa has better depth, and when injuries inevitably strike, they'll be able to better weather the storm.

Also, I heard that argument last year, and Boston didn't finish 1st, despite being one of the healthier teams in the league. I applaud the effort though.

Captain Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 07:18 PM
JohnLennon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
I'm surprised by this. I've definitely spoke at length on the weaknesses of our team but I think we have too many strengths not to at least make the playoffs. Yes we've got a physically weak defense core but we move the puck very, very well. If we don't have the best offensive group of blueliners in the league it's got to be pretty close. Our forwards while not the biggest definitely have skill and Price is a strong goalie who can log lots of games.

The real hole that I think we might have to plug would be with a shutdown guy but we should be a playoff team at least. The playoffs? Different story.
Completely agree with everything you've said.

Montreal's team hasn't changed much since their second place conference finish last season. I can totally see them dropping a couple spots in the conference rankings, but falling 7-8 spots in one season with largely the same team, if not better, with that many bright young players developing?

It just doesn't add up in my mind. The Habs might be the one team on that list that got shortest end of the stick.

JohnLennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 07:18 PM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Smurf View Post
Perhaps. Boston is not as good this year than last year. They have almost no scoring depth beyond their top-2 lines and they lost some leadership too. They're still the favourites to win the division, but I'm not sold they're better. Ottawa has better depth, and when injuries inevitably strike, they'll be able to better weather the storm.

Also, I heard that argument last year, and Boston didn't finish 1st, despite being one of the healthier teams in the league. I applaud the effort though.
I always think Boston is going to underperform and they never do but this year with the rest of the division getting better they could decline.

Either way our division is going to be tough.

dackelljuneaubulis02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 09:13 PM
Aspirine
Lateral Move at Best

vCash: 50

Aspirine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 09:38 PM
NewHabsEra*

Boston
Detroit
Toronto
Montreal/Ottawa
Ottawa/Montreal
Buffalo
Tampa
Florida

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 10:12 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
It's not like you've presented an intelligent argument to the contrary.
To the contrary of what? That they're in for real competition in the Atlantic division? They certainly are. Whom have they added, Parros, Murray, and Briere? Are you duly impressed?

I don't rule out their making the playoffs as wild cards but they'd have to finish ahead of two of Boston, Ottawa, Toronto, or Detroit to be seeded, and at that they'd need to get more points than the potential wild cards in the Metropolitan division.

IMO that's an intelligent enough argument.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 12:09 AM
jedimyrmidon

I like that Ray Ferraro puts the Habs in 4th over the Leafs.

Kind of interesting that even with their prize offseason acquisition David Clarkson on the sidelines for 1/8 of the season, the TSN consensus was still that the Leafs would do better than the Habs. Well, I guess the Habs are missing Emelin, but even without Emelin, the Habs should have a better defense.

Gorges-Subban
Markov-Diaz (okay, so this might not be such a good idea)
Bouillon-Tinordi
Murray

vs.

Phaneuf-Gunnarsson
Ranger-Gardiner
Fraser-Franson
Rielly

jedimyrmidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 01:11 AM
dukeofjive

With the normal calls mtl pp should put us 3rd or 4th in the atlantic

dukeofjive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 01:24 AM
24get

vCash: 650
Price having a great year, we could be top-3 in the conference.

I do expect a better defense in our team.
We replaced Weber by Tinordi and Kaberle by Murray.
Emelin will also come back.

Many forget to remember that MT started in the worst possible situation. He had a week to put a team together with a new system. This organization will be much better and we will reap the benefit of the stability introduced last season.

This team has a depth that few teams in the league have.

24get is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 04:02 AM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24get View Post
Price having a great year, we could be top-3 in the conference.

I do expect a better defense in our team.
We replaced Weber by Tinordi and Kaberle by Murray.
Emelin will also come back.

Many forget to remember that MT started in the worst possible situation. He had a week to put a team together with a new system. This organization will be much better and we will reap the benefit of the stability introduced last season.

This team has a depth that few teams in the league have.
yeah it goes without saying that if Price plays to his potential we'll be a really tough team to beat.

Winning the division with a mediocre Price is pretty impressive.

I think our D corps will be a lot more solid too with seemingly bottomless depth on the blue line. That should make a huge difference.

Our forward depth is nothing to sneeze at either and it's only going to get better.

dackelljuneaubulis02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 06:06 AM
onice

vCash: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
To the contrary of what? That they're in for real competition in the Atlantic division? They certainly are. Whom have they added, Parros, Murray, and Briere? Are you duly impressed?
You forgot Tinordi & Bournival? But I know why you forgot them. It weakens your point.

They're a better team this season than they were last year and they'll be getting Emelin back in Dec.

onice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 06:53 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPLBRUIN View Post
Yeah, I find Ottawa doesn't have a lot of depth except in nets.

Also, it's very very unlikely their goaltending won't decline from the way Anderson played last year's 1.69 and .941%...those numbers won't be dupicated.

I find Ottawa to be the most overrated team in the NHL. A lot of their top guys are also quite fragile...Spezza and Michalek especially.

As you said Conacher and MacArthur in the top 6 tells me thety are far from a slam dunk playoff team.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 06:57 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLennon View Post
Completely agree with everything you've said.

Montreal's team hasn't changed much since their second place conference finish last season. I can totally see them dropping a couple spots in the conference rankings, but falling 7-8 spots in one season with largely the same team, if not better, with that many bright young players developing?

It just doesn't add up in my mind. The Habs might be the one team on that list that got shortest end of the stick.
Plus it's unlikely Price will be as mediocre as last year.

Parros Briere and Murray are not what you'd call huge additions, but I think Parros and Murray will make very underrated contributions to key areas. Parros(along with guys like Moen Prust White Murray Tinordi) should allow guys like Plekanec DD Gallagher Subban etc to play their game and not fear some clown like Neil trying to jump them. Murray should help clear the front of the net, especially on Pk as well as block a few shots. Briere has looked good in preseason(I know that doesn't mean a lot, but he is coming back from injury) and should go a long way to replacing Ryder.

Old
09-30-2013, 07:00 AM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimyrmidon View Post
The TSN panel was too busy drooling over Anderson to notice many important Habs going down to injury (Pacs, ELLER, Gionta, Prust, Price) and that ridiculous kicked in goal + 2 sketchy icing calls that killed the Habs in Game 4 to give a fair judgement.
Nailed it.

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 07:20 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

Kind of interesting that even with their prize offseason acquisition David Clarkson on the sidelines for 1/8 of the season, the TSN consensus was still that the Leafs would do better than the Habs. Well, I guess the Habs are missing Emelin, but even without Emelin, the Habs should have a better defense.

Gorges-Subban
Bouillon-Tinordi
Murray

vs.

Phaneuf-Gunnarsson
Ranger-Gardiner
Fraser-Franson
Rielly
No way the Leafs make the playoffs with Ranger and Gardiner as #3-4 d-men. Gardiner is like Karlsson except minus the offense. He's completely useless in his own end. Ranger hasn't even played an NHL game in like 4 years and he was playing minutes on a crappy TB team back then(2 lottery picks those years).

Old
09-30-2013, 07:28 AM
sharks9

Quote:

Gorges-Subban
Bouillon-Tinordi
Murray

vs.

Phaneuf-Gunnarsson
Ranger-Gardiner
Fraser-Franson
Rielly
It's not really surprising though, it's TSN. With Nonis' cousin being one of their main guys and being based out of Toronto, of course they're going to be biased towards the Leafs.

sharks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 07:28 AM
optimus2861

Haven't we had this discussion before? Anyway my thoughts are unchanged.

1. Boston - weaker than last year, still best in division.
2. Detroit - never underestimate them. Best-coached team in division.
3. Ottawa - don't underestimate them either. Second-best-coached team in division.
4. Montreal - didn't improve enough to leap over any of the teams above.
5. Toronto - 82-game season will expose their crazy shooting percentage from last year. May even slip to 6th.
6/7 Buffalo/Tampa - not good enough.
8. Florida - nowhere near good enough.

optimus2861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 07:34 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimus2861 View Post
Haven't we had this discussion before? Anyway my thoughts are unchanged.

1. Boston - weaker than last year, still best in division.
2. Detroit - never underestimate them. Best-coached team in division.
3. Ottawa - don't underestimate them either. Second-best-coached team in division.
4. Montreal - didn't improve enough to leap over any of the teams above.
5. Toronto - 82-game season will expose their crazy shooting percentage from last year. May even slip to 6th.
6/7 Buffalo/Tampa - not good enough.
8. Florida - nowhere near good enough.
Why would the habs have to leap above any of those teams? They finished ahead of them last year.