HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Realistic Destinations for Lundqvist

Old
09-29-2013, 09:19 PM
Christmas Izzy
JuhaMetsolaForVezina

vCash: 50
Lundqvist on the blues would be sick.

would never happen, but it would be pretty top.

Christmas Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 09:38 PM
MXD

vCash: 500
The New York Rangers?

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 09:53 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

Hank loves his extravagant flamboyant city lifestyle.

There are few cities that can even compare with NY in that regard. It crosses most destinations in the NHL off the list. How many are left that don't have a long term goalie commitment, have the cap to sign him and are contenders?

iamitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 10:19 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotteryForLife View Post
The most likely destination...

The Islanders

Reason?

Most cap space
Need a goalie
They have more talent than his current
*Looks at avatar*
*LOL's*

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 10:26 PM
KingsHockey24

Nah kiddo. Tell me why you think he would leave NY to go to a rival team; money? I doubt it, he's not a Talbot. I say he stays in NY or he goes somewhere that needs a goalie and has enough money to afford Lundqvist. If you really think he would go to the Pens you need your brain checked. Lol. Crosby,Malkin,Letang,Lundqvist good luck with that salary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muh View Post
Guys, I'm pretty sure KingsHockey was kidding with this list...

If I had to pick another team, it would be the Pens. But I just don't see him leaving NY.

KingsHockey24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 10:45 PM
Azir
What's your point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybudd View Post
If he goes UFA, it'll be Pittsburgh or Philly. The other club will likely sign Miller.

I think the chances of him going UFA are low, by the way.

ETA: and the chances of him being traded, almost nonexistent
I just could not imagine Pittsburgh adding another player with a cap hit of near or above 8 million.

The Flyers on the other hand have about 18 million $ in defenseman that they could get rid of or LTIR. Pronger 5 mil(retire/LTIR), Timonen 6 mil(retire), Meszaros 4 million (free agent/trade), Brayden Coburn 5 mil (trade), Grossmann 3.6 mill (trade). Plus the salary cap will probably go up by at least 4 million. So that adds up to nearly 27 million of free space. But, Giroux and Read's contracts will take about 7 million. So, now they have 20. If Couturier or Schenn have big years which is very possible, they will need at least 4.5 mil per year. So, now they have about 15. The Flyers will need to sign at least one defenseman, so that will probably cost them 5-6 million. So, now they have around 10. They will probably need to leave some room so unless they can spend 7.5 or less on Lundqvist I doubt they will even try.

In all likelihood he will stay with NYR. Without him NYR will struggle to make the playoffs.

Azir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 10:47 PM
startainfection*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyLurch View Post
Islanders

why not?

startainfection* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 10:48 PM
startainfection*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Championship View Post
As a Rangers fan, if we **** the bed this year (and certainly our preseason hasn't done much to dispel the possibility of that), and he would want to leave, I wouldn't begrudge him. He's the 2nd or 3rd greatest Ranger of all time in my opinion. If he went to a cup contender I'd root for him all year. I hope it doesn't come to that.
what if that other team is the islanders

startainfection* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 10:51 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*

Quote:
Originally Posted by startainfection View Post
why not?
OP asked for realistic destinations. That's why.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 11:13 PM
Muh
Beadle

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsHockey24 View Post
Nah kiddo. Tell me why you think he would leave NY to go to a rival team; money? I doubt it, he's not a Talbot. I say he stays in NY or he goes somewhere that needs a goalie and has enough money to afford Lundqvist. If you really think he would go to the Pens you need your brain checked. Lol. Crosby,Malkin,Letang,Lundqvist good luck with that salary.
First, I don't think he is going anywhere. With the criteria given by the OP, I thought Pens fit the mold the best. That's why I said them, even though I don't see him being in any uniform other then Ranger Blue.

Besides cap space, which I am sure Pens would make work to fit in Hank, they covered everything else asked for in the OP. Where as I thought your list was a joke because I didn't see either of those teams with Hank to be better then what Rangers already have to offer. Nor do I consider Avs, Lightning or Panthers to be big market teams, like I read in OP.

Either way, I thought your list was a joke and I apologize. And I don't see Hank anywhere besides the Rangers.

Muh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 01:04 AM
njdevilsjds
#CoryDays

He will be a Ranger, no doubt about it.

njdevilsjds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 01:27 AM
PG Canuck

vCash: 53
Can't see him anywhere else.

PG Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 07:34 AM
Championship*

Quote:
Originally Posted by startainfection View Post
what if that other team is the islanders
I can tell you with 100% certainty he's not going to the Islanders.

Championship* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 07:42 AM
McSuper
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doakes View Post
The way I see it, Lundqvist is out to get both money and a cup.
Lundqvist currently is a star in New York, he loves the city, the bright lights, and is loyal his place in history with the blue shirts.

Therefore in order to compel Lundqvist to leave New York, a team will have to be a cup contender in better shape with Lundqvist than the Rangers. They also will need cap space to be a strong contender and afford him a big deal, and they'll have to be a big market or franchise with history and stars.

I don't think for example he would sign with the Ducks.
To me, he stays with the Rangers. The only other potential would be the penguins and that is a long shot. Consider:

1) Other possible teams could be Toronto, Montreal, St. Louis, Philly, and maybe the Islanders.
All other contenders have goalies (Chicago, Detroit, LA, Ottawa).

-Toronto arguably has goalies and even bigger, isn't a clearly better team than New York to win a cup. They have their own demons.
-Montreal might be better than Toronto, but they have a goalie, I'm not sure they are clear cut above the Rangers, and I don't if they the space and if Hank would go to a frankaphone non US city.
-Philly lacks cap space, again not clear cut better, pressure there is absurd, and I don't see Hank going to a bitter rival
-The Islanders? Hank is not going to leave MSG and the Rangers to go to third NY team in that rink, and that is not to mention the rival or question if a one time eight seed is really that better a place to win big.

2) The only remote possibility is Pittsburgh. The Pens are not the Red Wings of Osgood where they need a component goalie to not mess up. They are more like the Oilers where they need a goalie who can win them games, cover up for defense second approach.

The Pens have allure with Crosby and Malkin. They aren't a bitter rival like the Islanders or Flyers and they could have cap space by buying out Fleury, not re-signing Vokoun, which frees up 7 million just from goaltending.

This is the only real viable team to entice Lundqvist to go because with him they would significantly have a better chance to win and could afford him.

However let me finish by saying I see this as remote. I don't see Lundqvist bailing at 31 to be like the Miami heat. He isn't going to take a pay cut or go to a worse off team.
Now if he is 35 then I could see him taking a sunset contract to win if he has not already.

If Edmonton young stars step up and their goalie lets them down , maybe the Oilers push for him . MacT did not sound like he was too high on DD when he took over as GM . I am not saying he signs in Edmonton , but i can see them making a push if DD fails

McSuper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 07:55 AM
go comets

realistically, the only place for henrik is with the rangers.....

go comets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 08:01 AM
ManyIdeas

vCash: 362
He is obviously going to sign a discount deal with St. Louis. Writing's on the wall....

Well, I'd like it to happen...

ManyIdeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 09:26 AM
Tender Rip
#Haz supa line mates

1: Rags
2: Rags
3: Pens

Little to nothing suggests that he isn't a Ranger for life. Should he deem it unlikely that he wins a title there (he should consider that scenario more than likely), the easiest choice would be to go to the Pens who have all the scoring he never had, and a goalie problem he would solve. Money? Well - maybe put the Flyers 4th.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 09:42 AM
digdug41982

Montreal if Price craps the bed again. I give Price maybe a month or two more left as a Hab if he plays like he did down the stretch.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 09:44 AM
njdevil26
I hate avocados

Note to Ranger fans: I have no doubt Lundqvist will stay with you guys.... but after what us Devil fans have gone through with every player reaching free agency, I hope you endure a very long and frustrating year on this message board with 29 teams worth of fans have him signing elsewhere.

njdevil26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 09:56 AM
StarsFan74

He stays as a NYR. The term length would be crucial in the negotiations, but I think both sides will agree to 3-4 yrs @ $8M AAV.

StarsFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 10:05 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

I think if he legitimately decides to move on from the Rangers, the three things he'll be considering are:

1. Cup contender
2. Lifestyle
3. Money

In that order. I could see him taking a cheaper deal to play somewhere if it afforded him something close to the lifestyle he's accustomed to, along with a legitimate shot at a cup.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 10:08 AM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsFan74 View Post
He stays as a NYR. The term length would be crucial in the negotiations, but I think both sides will agree to 3-4 yrs @ $8M AAV.
Why wouldn't he insist on an 8 year deal?

Curufinwe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 10:18 AM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in the Flood

The only reason he's leave the Rags is to g to a team where he would put them over the top for a Cup. The only team that is would be that much better then the Rags is the Pens. Philly or StL isn't a big enough upgrade over the Rags (or at all) for Lundy to leave, IMO.

Ragamuffin Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 10:21 AM
Hedning
A New Beginning

Rangers

Anaheim

That's the only other possible destination that I can see atm.

He just love NY too much for to leave, and if he would leave the Rangers, I just can't see him in a Isles or Devils uni, don't think he would want that either, after all those years in NYR. But if and that's a big IF, LA sounds like a possible destination if he can't come to terms on an extension in NYR. That would not upset his fanbase that much in NY either. Like it would in many other places.
And down there, the only option would be the Ducks.

I'm pretty sure he will stay US-bound never the less.

Hedning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 10:31 AM
StarsFan74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Why wouldn't he insist on an 8 year deal?
Just a speculation, but I'd assume a shorter term will help him evaluate his chances of winning a cup as a Ranger and I'd assume a 3-4 year window is a decent length. If that doesn't pan out, he will be a UFA at the age of 35-36, which should still garner interest and help him command a competitive salary (contingent upon him still being an elite goalie) from a contender that needs a top-notch goalie.

StarsFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote