HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Panthers...a repeat of Isles' 2001-2002 Season?

Old
09-29-2013, 09:39 PM
DarkHorse
Go Banana!

vCash: 500
Panthers...a repeat of Isles' 2001-2002 Season?

As the Panthers edge ever closer to the Cap Ceiling, I wonder if they can have the kind of season the Islanders had in 2001-02, where, if not for injuries to Peca and Jonsson, the Isles could have made a nice playoff run.

Though the Panthers don't have a Yashin or Peca on the roster, (maybe a young Yashin in Barkov), the overall line-up is of a slightly better quality, and the additions of Boyes, Gilbert and Whitney, added to some quality young players like Huberdeau, Bjustad, Gudbranson and Matthias, makes them a possible surprise contender. Adding Thomas at the last minute is very reminiscent of the Isles grabbing Osgood off waivers.

The big concern is that they have 11 pending UFAs on the roster, so they may need to blow up the roster next year, killing any progress. Of course, if the plan fails this year, they could have the most spectacular sell-off ever at the deadline.

DarkHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 09:59 PM
Jester9881

That Islander team was very strong up the middle and on the back end.

Yashin (runner up for the Hart the previous season)
Peca
Scatchard (20-27 goal scorer on the 3rd line)
Lapointe

On the back end they had Jonsson, Hamrlik, Aucoin and Martinek all in their prime.

Jester9881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 10:06 PM
WangMustGo
NYI

No not even remotely close. Boyes and Whitney suck, there is a reason they weren't signed until this week. That Isles team was very deep up the middle and a very solid top 4.

WangMustGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 10:09 PM
startainfection

i see no steve webb

startainfection is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 10:25 PM
nWo
New World Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester9881 View Post
That Islander team was very strong up the middle and on the back end.

Yashin (runner up for the Hart the previous season)
Peca
Scatchard (20-27 goal scorer on the 3rd line)
Lapointe

On the back end they had Jonsson, Hamrlik, Aucoin and Martinek all in their prime.
Nope, that was Mario Lemieux.

nWo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 10:33 PM
MillarWithASave
HUBY DOOBY SHUTUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by WangMustGo View Post
No not even remotely close. Boyes and Whitney suck, there is a reason they weren't signed until this week. That Isles team was very deep up the middle and a very solid top 4.
What makes you think that :

Campbell - Gudbranson
Kulikov - Gilbert

isn't a solid top-4? I mean, I know we might look like a bunch of unproven rookies and a crop of old worn out veterans but I don't think we have a terrible team to be quite honest.

MillarWithASave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 10:33 PM
RMimagery

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorse View Post
As the Panthers edge ever closer to the Cap Ceiling, I wonder if they can have the kind of season the Islanders had in 2001-02, where, if not for injuries to Peca and Jonsson, the Isles could have made a nice playoff run.

Though the Panthers don't have a Yashin or Peca on the roster, (maybe a young Yashin in Barkov), the overall line-up is of a slightly better quality, and the additions of Boyes, Gilbert and Whitney, added to some quality young players like Huberdeau, Bjustad, Gudbranson and Matthias, makes them a possible surprise contender. Adding Thomas at the last minute is very reminiscent of the Isles grabbing Osgood off waivers.

The big concern is that they have 11 pending UFAs on the roster, so they may need to blow up the roster next year, killing any progress. Of course, if the plan fails this year, they could have the most spectacular sell-off ever at the deadline.
The fact that you mention Boyes as a key addition signals alarms.

That Islander team started the season 11-1-1 and had a lot of depth.

Brought in were Yashin, Peca and Osgood in their prime. Those new Panthers just don't compare.

And the top 3 D were stellar. Jonsson, AuCoin and Hamrlik, also in their prime, were solid all around. That was a fun team to watch.

Glad you're excited though just not the best comparison, cool that you remember that team. Only now have the Isles begun to get back to that level. Many things weren't handled right back then so it didn't last, while this team is built for the next decade.

RMimagery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 10:37 PM
WangMustGo
NYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillarWithASave View Post

Campbell - Gudbranson
Kulikov - Gilbert

isn't a solid top-4? I mean, I know we might look like a bunch of unproven rookies and a crop of old worn out veterans but I don't think we have a terrible team to be quite honest.
I never said it was terrible, but it doesn't compare to the Islanders defense of 2001-2002. I don't think they are a playoff team yet, in a couple years when the kids have some NHL experience they will be making deep runs regularly.

WangMustGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 12:44 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillarWithASave View Post

Campbell - Gudbranson
Kulikov - Gilbert

That looks pretty mediocre to me.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 12:46 AM
ucanthanzalthetruth
Kiddin' Around

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorse View Post
Tallon signed so many FA's in an attempt to contend to fill in the gaps while the prospects are developing. As for playoffs, I'm not sure. This team is better all-around than the team in 2012, but they are also in a way harder division. I think they only have an outside shot at the playoffs, but I don't get how so many people have them as the 29th or 30th team overall, they are much better than that. Oh, and all the Islanders fans complaining about Boyes, wait till you see PMB

ucanthanzalthetruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 12:48 AM
ucanthanzalthetruth
Kiddin' Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
That looks pretty mediocre to me.
Gudbranson seems to have taken a real step forward this year, and if you think the other 3 listed are mediocre, you don't watch enough hockey.

Old
09-30-2013, 01:22 AM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucanthanzalthetruth View Post
Gudbranson seems to have taken a real step forward this year, and if you think the other 3 listed are mediocre, you don't watch enough hockey.
Gilbert is worse than mediocre. Kulikov is currently a decent #3, Campbell a decent #1.

Phion Keneuf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 01:38 AM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucanthanzalthetruth View Post
Ill believe Gudbranson has taken a step when I see it. He really has just unimpressed me since he was drafted. And saying Gilbert is more than mediocre is just wrong.

SchennSational1022* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 01:43 AM
Syckle78

I don't see where they fit into playoff picture. I think Columbus is much more likely to have a similar season than this Florida squad. Pretty likely Panthers finish dead last in the new Atlantic.

Syckle78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 01:44 AM
boredmale

The 2001-2002 Islanders had a payroll that was middle of the pack which gave them an advantage over half the teams in the NHL. I believe Florida has one of the lowest payroll in the NHL this season(when you factor out bonuses)

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 02:10 AM
ucanthanzalthetruth
Kiddin' Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenbergg View Post
Ill believe Gudbranson has taken a step when I see it. He really has just unimpressed me since he was drafted. And saying Gilbert is more than mediocre is just wrong.
Yeah, Guds has been disappointing so far, but he looks much improved. D men usually take 4-5 years to develop, he's still pretty raw. Granted it's just preseason, but I think you'll be pleasantly surprised this year. Also, your user handle saddens me

Old
09-30-2013, 06:45 AM
NEWFowler
hi

Florida is going in the right direction, for sure. Will they put it together this year? Unlikely, but you never know. I hope they do.

NEWFowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 07:28 AM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
The 2001-2002 Islanders had a payroll that was middle of the pack which gave them an advantage over half the teams in the NHL. I believe Florida has one of the lowest payroll in the NHL this season(when you factor out bonuses)
Florida has a salary of 54 million.
NYI has a salary of 44.4 million (The lowest in the league).

Thats NOT including the bonuses.

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 07:34 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Adding a two time Vezina winner obviously makes that team a threat.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 07:42 AM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Thomas can be as good as he wants the Panthers need to score

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 07:47 AM
Pi

vCash: 100
Quote:
Thomas is great but he took a year off and Florida doesn't have Chara or Bergeron.

I am sure that Florida will not be in the bottom 5, but I'd say they are a good bet to finish bottom 10 no matter what Thomas can do.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 08:36 AM
Raspewtin
Kreidizzle

nope. That Isles team was solid. Florida just signed a bunch of ****** veterans that couldn't find work anywhere else.

Raspewtin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 08:40 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspewtin View Post
nope. That Isles team was solid. Florida just signed a bunch of ****** veterans that couldn't find work anywhere else.
Look at the bigger picture. They are creating competition for the young guys. They are not handing over jobs to rookies. They need to show they can take them from the vets. For that reason, these were good signings.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 08:55 AM
ShootIt

Quote:
Look at the bigger picture. They are creating competition for the young guys. They are not handing over jobs to rookies. They need to show they can take them from the vets. For that reason, these were good signings.
Exactly.

I rather see these signings of "mediocre" players than see guys like Trocheck, Petrovic, Bjugstad etc get forced out onto the NHL squad due to payroll, and potentially hurt their development. IT gives Tallon the option of giving the young guys competition to earn spots.

For the young guys that don't make it, they can go from the NCAA/CHL to the AHL, and get a feeling for playing against men, and a nice jump in the speed of the game.

The Panthers would be lucky to see a repeat of the 2011-2012 season, points wise.

ShootIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 08:57 AM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Ryan Smyth

As an Oilers fan, the fact that you just signed Ryan Whitney and Tom Gilbert is a sign that your team is going the wrong direction.

Trafalgar Law is offline   Reply With Quote