HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Pittsburgh Interested in Ilya Bryzgalov

Old
09-30-2013, 05:45 AM
nmbr_24

vCash: 500
I know people are joking when they say watch Bryzgalov win the Vezina, but it isn't funny to me. I am not a Penguins fan but it angered me that their GM didn't address their goaltending issue by signing Tim Thomas when he was available. That was the move they should have made, not Bryzgalov.

I do not think Shero is the great GM that a lot of other people think he is, I think he inherited the best and most important parts of his team and there are a lot of GMs who could do what he has done if they had those players, I think there are some who would do better jobs than Shero. At least he started to address some of their issues by getting Scuderi who plays defense and helps with their 2nd biggest weakness.

Relying on his offense to win every game in every situation was a terrible idea, the Penguins won their last cup because they had a couple of shutdown D to go along with their incredible offense and average goaltending.

What angers me most is that they don't need to get guys like Lundqvist or Chara, Scuderi and Thomas would have been an awesome start and even though neither would be a long term solution, both would be immediate fixes for their problems for this season. Adding one more very good shutdown D would also greatly help them and they would easily be overwhelming cup favorites,

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 05:52 AM
ObsessedCreative
I hate Dan Bylsma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbr_24 View Post
I know people are joking when they say watch Bryzgalov win the Vezina, but it isn't funny to me. I am not a Penguins fan but it angered me that their GM didn't address their goaltending issue by signing Tim Thomas when he was available. That was the move they should have made, not Bryzgalov.

I do not think Shero is the great GM that a lot of other people think he is, I think he inherited the best and most important parts of his team and there are a lot of GMs who could do what he has done if they had those players, I think there are some who would do better jobs than Shero. At least he started to address some of their issues by getting Scuderi who plays defense and helps with their 2nd biggest weakness.

Relying on his offense to win every game in every situation was a terrible idea, the Penguins won their last cup because they had a couple of shutdown D to go along with their incredible offense and average goaltending.

What angers me most is that they don't need to get guys like Lundqvist or Chara, Scuderi and Thomas would have been an awesome start and even though neither would be a long term solution, both would be immediate fixes for their problems for this season. Adding one more very good shutdown D would also greatly help them and they would easily be overwhelming cup favorites,
- "NEVER underestimate my stupidity!"

You're blaming the wrong guy here, it isn't Shero's fault. [edit: the only thing shero IS to blame for is keeping this clown around behind the bench, not the personnel on the ice.]

ObsessedCreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 06:04 AM
dougiebrown

Yikes. Eklund had this a week ago:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklun...0#.UklaxNKOSSo

dougiebrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 06:27 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbr_24 View Post

Pens really had no chance at Tim Thomas. They simply couldn't afford him cap-wise.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 06:47 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Tim Thomas was on too high a cap and also unreliable given he's been out a year. We're not giving someone $3m to hope that they are good. Too much risk.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 06:50 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 505
As fun as it would be for everyone involved, Lisa Hillary is a certified moron, so it's that more unlikely.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 06:53 AM
go comets

i think the penguins could put a orange traffic cone in net and it would be an improvment over maf.......

go comets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 07:27 AM
ViD

I'm trying to see why Bryz is labeled a terrible goalie now.. He had some tough time at the Flyers but he was never happy with the environment there. I think he proved he can be a decent goalie playing for PHX and ANA

ViD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 07:43 AM
Frankie Spankie

Oh man, please, please let it happen! They made me a little nervous when they signed Vokoun last off season because they finally had a capable goalie. Signing Bryz to go with MAF will make sure they have no success in the playoffs again! Make it happen Shero!

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 07:47 AM
Tinalera

His first quote after Philly/Pittsburgh meeting in Philly, assuming he would get booed:

"Why they (Flyers fans) Heff to be mad?"

Tinalera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 08:52 AM
tony d
ATD 2015

You know what's funny. There was a time Bryzgalov was considered a top 10 goalie in the league. Doubt Pittsburgh signs him but if he could be the Bryzgalov of old it wouldn't be a bad signing.

09-30-2013, 09:15 AM
DoctrSteveBrule
@MouseRat_Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanderfan17 View Post
I don't think they do, but it will most likely be long term considering Vokoun has missed an entire season with the same issue before.
he never missed an entire season

DoctrSteveBrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 09:18 AM
DoctrSteveBrule
@MouseRat_Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedCreative View Post
- "NEVER underestimate my stupidity!"

You're blaming the wrong guy here, it isn't Shero's fault. [edit: the only thing shero IS to blame for is keeping this clown around behind the bench, not the personnel on the ice.]
wow is that an actual quote from Bylsma???

He really is so dumb. Great posts, keep up the great work. I log on every day to see what ObsessedCreative has to say about Dan Bylsma. So far its just been "i hate him" but still, i really enjoy your fresh take on things.

DoctrSteveBrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 09:21 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
I would love nothing more than to sign him and see him get a Vezina. Dear god the reaction.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 09:34 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViD View Post
I think he proved he can be a decent goalie playing for PHX and ANA
No pressure (from media, fans, etc.,) and team that played a solid team defense infront of him didn't hurt.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 10:29 AM
KJS14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinalera View Post
His first quote after Philly/Pittsburgh meeting in Philly, assuming he would get booed:

"Why they (Flyers fans) Heff to be mad?"
There would surely be bears and planets everywhere in the stands for that game.

KJS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 10:35 AM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

Pens please sign Bryz so the Flyers can completely walk all over you this season.
Watch out! He's afraid of Bears.

FlyersFanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 10:35 AM
TOGuy14

I think Bryz would thrive in a non-hockey market. A bit surprised someone like Tampa didn't reach out to him instead of going down the Bishop road.

TOGuy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 11:04 AM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 107
Fleury and Bryzgalov together? Does Pittsburgh just hate the playoffs?

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 11:35 AM
Tender Rip
#Haz supa line mates

Again, this is only relevant if Vokoun opts to not pursue a comeback from his second blood clot operation.

If he does not, someone explain to me why getting Bryzgalov as a free agent is not preferable to Jeff Zatkoff, our AHL goalie. Or any other current UFA goalie.

Bear in the woods and crazy Russian raaah raaaah raaaaaah aside. Fact is that Bryzgalov was a very good backup in Anaheim and an ace goalie in Phoenix. That he sucked in Philly a lot of the time is indisputable, but so did Vezina Bob in Bryz first year and the year after Philly's D was the worst it has been for a looong time. Doesn't justify Bryz performances, but I'd opt for him over Jeff Zatkoff any day of the week, and would take bets that he'd outperform Fleury as well.

Perhaps other team's fans feel their teams are better off. Fair enough, but again - OUR alternative is Fleury/Zatkoff.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 12:31 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
Again, this is only relevant if Vokoun opts to not pursue a comeback from his second blood clot operation.

If he does not, someone explain to me why getting Bryzgalov as a free agent is not preferable to Jeff Zatkoff, our AHL goalie. Or any other current UFA goalie.

Bear in the woods and crazy Russian raaah raaaah raaaaaah aside. Fact is that Bryzgalov was a very good backup in Anaheim and an ace goalie in Phoenix. That he sucked in Philly a lot of the time is indisputable, but so did Vezina Bob in Bryz first year and the year after Philly's D was the worst it has been for a looong time. Doesn't justify Bryz performances, but I'd opt for him over Jeff Zatkoff any day of the week, and would take bets that he'd outperform Fleury as well.

Perhaps other team's fans feel their teams are better off. Fair enough, but again - OUR alternative is Fleury/Zatkoff.
Do you honestly believe our current coach can handle two spazzes in goal, instead of one? Vokoun saved Bylsma's behind last spring.

Bylsma didn't know Iginla was a right-winger for God sakes, now we are going to entrust him in handling a goaltending tandem with TWO mentally fragile puck-stoppers?

Jeff Zatkoff sounds fine to me. At least he MAY not be a mental case.

If this happens, Shoot. Me. Now.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 12:34 PM
gordie

Silliness of this thread is the belief of those actually discussing that Bryzgalov will play for league minimum in Pittsburgh to backup Marc Andre Fleury.

gordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 12:38 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougiebrown View Post
I was going to point this out if you hadn't. I read it from him over a week ago. Maybe it wouldn't only now be news to so many if posters around here weren't made to feel dumb for repeating his rumors.

People don't seem to understand that Eklund reports a lot of things that he's heard that are very early in development like this. Most of the time, they don't develop very far and fizzle out before they even get serious (let alone happen). If Pittsburgh had lost interest in Bryzgalov over the weekend, then all that we would've heard of their prior interest was Eklund's rumor, and, of course, many people would've assumed that he was plain wrong, since nothing more came of it. Instead, the interest has now heated up (Eklund's words today) and another reporter has picked up on it. In a way, that's fortunate for Eklund, because he gets validated, but it doesn't mean that, if the interest had died, instead, that his initial rumor was invalid.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 01:12 PM
ViD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
No pressure (from media, fans, etc.,) and team that played a solid team defense infront of him didn't hurt.
Not arguing that

ViD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 01:14 PM
16 To Stanley*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
Fleury and Bryzgalov together? Does Pittsburgh just hate the playoffs?
Seriously....it's not smart to have one headcase, let alone two. Especially when the new one is considered one of the biggest headcases in the league.

16 To Stanley* is offline   Reply With Quote