HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Andrej Meszaros for John Mitchell?

Old
09-30-2013, 12:31 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Look out!!!

vCash: 500
Andrej Meszaros for John Mitchell?

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-phil...oan-vandevelde

Quote:
Meanwhile, Hal Gill said on Saturday that his meeting with Holmgren will now take place on Sunday. Gill finished the preseason on a tryout contract.

Holmgren made it clear on Friday night that he would like to find a spot for the 38-year-old defenseman, but still had not solved his dilemma of too many defensemen.

The Denver Post reported the Flyers were trying to move a defenseman -- likely Andrej Meszaros -- and the Avs were reportedly offering left wing/center John Mitchell. The Avs have about $10 million in cap space so Meszaros’ $4 million salary would work for them.

Cap-wise the Flyers would pick up nearly $3 million (Mitchell’s cap hit is $1.1 million) if such a deal took place, plus, they would have money left over to offer Gill a contract as their seventh defenseman.

Whether any of this happens remains to be seen.
Would be a good move for the Avalanche if Meszaros can stay healthy.

SLAPSHOT723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 12:33 PM
BernieParent

At this point, I'd trade Meszaros for Joni Mitchell.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 12:33 PM
hockeyfish

Both teams have basically said they won't be making any trades. So, in all likely hood, it's not happening.

hockeyfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 12:35 PM
Freudian
Clearly deranged

vCash: 50
Patrick Roy:

"Right now, the problem in the NHL is there are a lot of teams that are close to the cap. They’re trying to unload the player that basically no one wants. That’s no help for us. We need to go for the players that we think will play a role. And quite frankly, I like my four lines, with Cliche as the fifth guy. I’m very comfortable. I don’t mind our D. We’re not going to replace our D with D that we don’t think are going to make our team better. We’ve been working with them for the last two weeks. Let’s keep working with this group, let’s see where we’re going to go. I feel like I owe it to this group to start the year and then we’ll see about any moves.”

Panaccio might want to double check what Meszaros salary is.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 12:35 PM
Ollie Queen
After 5 years...

I feel like this would be a smart trade for both sides. Not sure why they wouldn't pull the trigger if both sides are actively trying to move their player. Meszaros certainly moves up the depth chart in Colorado and Mitchell is more than serviceable for Philly.

Ollie Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 12:42 PM
bohlmeister
Moves Like Malkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK Pilot 76 View Post
I feel like this would be a smart trade for both sides. Not sure why they wouldn't pull the trigger if both sides are actively trying to move their player. Meszaros certainly moves up the depth chart in Colorado and Mitchell is more than serviceable for Philly.
Because that is a lot of money for the Avs to pay a player that hasn't been able to stay healthy.

bohlmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 12:44 PM
mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfish View Post
Both teams have basically said they won't be making any trades. So, in all likely hood, it's not happening.
More like the opposite, if the Flyers brass is involved.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 12:44 PM
Freudian
Clearly deranged

Funny thing is that the whole Avs-Meszaros-Mitchell thing is 100% based on Dater wildly speculating on twitter and suddenly it's "Denver Post reported the Flyers were trying to move a defenseman -- likely Andrej Meszaros -- and the Avs were reportedly offering left wing/center John Mitchell."

It's not even journalism anymore. No one cares about the basic rules of it. These nincompoops are each others sole sources.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 12:46 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
I had no idea there were two John Mitchells until I read this thread.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 12:49 PM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Funny thing is that the whole Avs-Meszaros-Mitchell thing is 100% based on Dater wildly speculating on twitter and suddenly it's "Denver Post reported the Flyers were trying to move a defenseman -- likely Andrej Meszaros -- and the Avs were reportedly offering left wing/center John Mitchell."

It's not even journalism anymore. No one cares about the basic rules of it. These nincompoops are each others sole sources.
Why? Other than dumping salary, would the Flyers trade away a D man for a forward they don't need? If anything the Flyers need help in the back not in the front where the team is already loaded with talent. If its a cap issue maybe? I don't see anyone in the Ahl filling in for Meszaros' spot.

FlyersFanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 12:53 PM
Curufinwe

The Flyers actually do a need a third line winger like Mitchell, or in a perfect world Kyle Clifford. Talbot is a little small and better suited to being a 4th line/PK guy than a big winger who can create space for Couturier and Read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohlmeister View Post
Because that is a lot of money for the Avs to pay a player that hasn't been able to stay healthy.
What if the Flyers retained some of his salary?

I think the most they could retain is $2m of the cap hit, and $2.75m in salary.

Last edited by Curufinwe: 09-30-2013 at 01:01 PM.
Curufinwe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 12:57 PM
tucker3434

Sounds like the avs roster is set for at least the start of the season. I'd be totally on board with this trade though.

tucker3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 12:59 PM
mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFanz View Post
Why? Other than dumping salary, would the Flyers trade away a D man for a forward they don't need? If anything the Flyers need help in the back not in the front where the team is already loaded with talent. If its a cap issue maybe? I don't see anyone in the Ahl filling in for Meszaros' spot.
Mitchell-Couturier-Read would make for a nice 3rd line. Didn't he have 20 points in 47 games last season? That's not bad. Even if he regresses to his NHL career mean, he should put up 28-30 points in an 82-game season with those linemates.

Old
09-30-2013, 01:00 PM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
The Flyers actually do a need a third line winger like Mitchell, or in a perfect world Kyle Clifford. Talbot is a little small and better suited to being a 4th line/PK guy than a big winger who can create space for Couturier and Read.

What if they Flyers retained some of his salary?
Flyers already have a guy they can call up that plays wing..ie Tye McGinn Plus Mitchell is a centerman.

Old
09-30-2013, 01:03 PM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFanz View Post
Flyers already have a guy they can call up that plays wing..ie Tye McGinn Plus Mitchell is a centerman.
Mitchell played left wing last year and McGinn is in the AHL because he was awful in preseason and actually hasn't been any good since he got destroyed in a fight last season.

http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/...6959?source=bb

Old
09-30-2013, 01:03 PM
captainpaxil

Mitchell isnt enough for mesz. yes hes been hurt but trading a 2nd pairing dman for a 4th line forward is just bad value. better to wait it out and get better value once hes healthy.

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 01:06 PM
Curufinwe

I think it's more likely that Meszaros gets less healthy as the season goes on. Meszaros is an overpaid third pairing defenseman right now, so getting a cheap third line winger for him would be very fair value.

Old
09-30-2013, 01:23 PM
Ricky Bobby

The cap hit isn't the problem for Colorado. It's the 5.5 in real salary due to Mesz that is bigger issue.

Mesz will only be 28 and is a great risk for Colorado if Philly retains some of the money. If healthy he could be the 2nd best Dman in Colorado behind Johnson and it's only 1 year so there isn't a long term risk involved.

If Mesz gets healthy and back on track he'll be one of the most desired free agents next off-season.

Last edited by Ricky Bobby: 09-30-2013 at 01:30 PM.
Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 01:46 PM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainpaxil View Post
Mitchell isnt enough for mesz. yes hes been hurt but trading a 2nd pairing dman for a 4th line forward is just bad value. better to wait it out and get better value once hes healthy.
Yea this is what I think. He is a good player, our best Dman a few years ago. He has had some injuries but that happens sometimes, a bad run. I think we should hold onto him. One of grossman, coburn or timo will be hurt and miss time. Probably all three will. We dont need cap space for anything this year anyway.

TheKingPin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 02:00 PM
caley

Patrick Roy said no deals before the season begins, so I wouldn't count on this coming down anytime soon.

09-30-2013, 02:05 PM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
I think it's more likely that Meszaros gets less healthy as the season goes on. Meszaros is an overpaid third pairing defenseman right now, so getting a cheap third line winger for him would be very fair value.
He is still a veteran D man and is healthy at the moment so his value is definitely more than a 3rd liner.

Old
09-30-2013, 02:32 PM
Curufinwe

If that was true, they would have traded him already.

Old
09-30-2013, 03:33 PM
CB Joe

vCash: 544
Even with Mitchell going the other way I think Colorado would want Philly to eat more salary.

CB Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 03:57 PM
AslanRH
Guenin Get Out

vCash: 354
Still wonder if these "talks" Dater heard about were for a different defenseman the Flyers were looking to move.

It would make sense if the Flyers feel Mez is better for depth and roll than say a Grossman or Gustafsson (not sure the hierarchy of Flyer Dmen).

Strangely would mean Dater was not wrong, just that as usual, Dater had very little inside info to work with because he is a very poor beat writer.

09-30-2013, 04:02 PM
mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB Joe View Post
Even with Mitchell going the other way I think Colorado would want Philly to eat more salary.
Everyone seems to want to send Hunwick along with Mitchell. I guess we'd take him in order to waive him. The Flyers can afford to pay him NHL-level salary in the AHL, but that is kind of a crappy thing to do to a guy, even if he's a UFA after this season. I don't see Gill not being signed as the 7th defenseman, so we'd end up with a depth chart like this:

Timonen
Coburn
Schenn
Streit
Grossmann
Gustafsson
Gill
Hunwick

With Pronger and Bourdon on LTIR and Gervais already waived. I don't see the Flyers keeping 8 defensemen on the roster, especially since Rosehill can fill in on D should disaster ever strike.