HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

RD Rasmus Ristolainen (2013, 8th overall, Buffalo)

Old
05-10-2013, 12:14 PM
smalt021

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
Would have so much more hype if he played in the CHL
Agree. Seems to be sliding down draft rankings a little and I think will be a steal in the mid 1st round.

smalt021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 12:56 PM
Sundinisagod
tanknation

While he does seem to be sliding on some lists, I don't think he slides much, if at all. This type of defender is in short supply. Philly prolly takes him if Nurse is gone...

Sundinisagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 01:19 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalt021 View Post
Agree. Seems to be sliding down draft rankings a little and I think will be a steal in the mid 1st round.
Didn't stop Maata from sliding last year. Are they really all that different?

If he was in the CHL he'd have more viewings and would probably have been picked apart even further.

A good prospect, but really hard to gauge where he's at for most of us North Americans. I don't think playing in the CHL really does too much for his value, moreso for his exposure to fans/followers of the draft.

The scouts know who and what he is.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 01:46 PM
bottomofthefoodchain

Quote:
Originally Posted by toewsintangibles View Post
Time to bring back my favourite hockey gif: The amazing dangles of Aki Berg

Now that he has a comparable in a recent hockey prospect from Finland, I feel its relevant..

Behold

Small tribute for a big man
OH MY GOD amazing dangles, how is this guy NOT in the NHL?

bottomofthefoodchain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 02:51 PM
Mozesmadness
MEMORIAL CUP CHAMPS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post

If he was in the CHL he'd have more viewings and would probably have been picked apart even further.

A good prospect, but really hard to gauge where he's at for most of us North Americans. I don't think playing in the CHL really does too much for his value, moreso for his exposure to fans/followers of the draft.

I believe he is much more physical than Maata, but they are similar players.

Mozesmadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 04:12 PM
JJTT

Quote:

Ristolainen is much bigger(187 and 193cm) and more physical than Määttä

JJTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 06:05 PM
Jtown

I really could see this guy becoming a flyer. Kimmo is going to stay with the organization in some capacity after he retires and would serve as a great mentor to this kid. It seems like a logical and perfect fit.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 01:49 AM
Bullwhip Reds*

Ristolainen is more of a can't miss prospect than A-PB was. Aki (or his agent) advertised him as a guy skating as well as Coffey and hitting like Stevens. 18 years later anyone can be the judge of that. Aki was a decent 6th dman, not quite what was expected. Ristolainen looks to become a solid second pairing dman. Good at everything, not spectacular in anything.

Bullwhip Reds* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 05:46 AM
thomast

Quote:

Määttä is pretty consistent defensively and is pretty good all-around talent but with limited upside. Ristolainen has way more upside than Määttä IMO. Just how they play the game. Ristolainen is the guy who leads the team on the defense, commands the game with his poise and steady opening game at the defense. Is the big bad guy at the defensive-zone who punishes opponents and make them feel very unconfortable going infront of net. Ristolainen has better mobility, offensive vision, shot, stick skills than Määttä and the gap at those skills isn't slight. Ristolainen was the better player at WJC and led the finnish defense.

Määttä is right now more consistent and reliable defensively than Ristolainen. But Ristolainen has chance to become pretty darn good physical defenseman with offensive skill. Määttä is good prospect but i take Ristolainen and it's not close for me. Both are safe prospects but Ristolainen has much higher ceiling.

thomast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 07:37 PM
Skinnyjimmy08

Hey who would Ristolainen be compared to? Plays mean, real solid dman with some offensive upside is what i read. I know hes only a year or 2 younger, but is he like a Trouba type? Also what other NHL'er is he compared to??.. I have a chance to draft him in my keeper pool and the stats go with goals, assists, hits, pims, etc etc.. pretty much power forwards with offensive skill(Backes'/Hartnell/Lucic) or power dmen with offensive skill(Weber/Phaneuf/Chara) are as good of a commodity as pure offensive snipers(malkin/crosby/karlsson etc etc)... So you gotta draft smartly.... Is Rasmus one of those types that in 5 years have good stats in all categories(points, hits, pims, +-)??? ... Very curious about this guy. I can see him turning into a real good NHLer

Skinnyjimmy08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 07:40 PM

I think he projects as a Brent Seabrook type of player if all goes well.

1972 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 10:04 PM
MacOfNiagara
Blue&Gold from birth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinnyjimmy08 View Post
Hey who would Ristolainen be compared to? Plays mean, real solid dman with some offensive upside is what i read. I know hes only a year or 2 younger, but is he like a Trouba type? Also what other NHL'er is he compared to??.. I have a chance to draft him in my keeper pool and the stats go with goals, assists, hits, pims, etc etc.. pretty much power forwards with offensive skill(Backes'/Hartnell/Lucic) or power dmen with offensive skill(Weber/Phaneuf/Chara) are as good of a commodity as pure offensive snipers(malkin/crosby/karlsson etc etc)... So you gotta draft smartly.... Is Rasmus one of those types that in 5 years have good stats in all categories(points, hits, pims, +-)??? ... Very curious about this guy. I can see him turning into a real good NHLer
Yes.

MacOfNiagara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 11:41 PM
Sundinisagod
tanknation

Risto - Zadorov pairing

I hate you Buffalo

Sundinisagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 04:38 PM
mikko1995

Buffalo head coach Ron Rolston confirmed that Rasmus will stay with the Sabres.

mikko1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 04:40 PM
JoinTheArmia

Would you say that Ristolainen could be compared to Bogosian? Both big defenseman with all the tools.

JoinTheArmia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 03:20 PM
John Druce
Flynt Flossy

Wow ... Not many newly drafted D-men make it directly to the NHL these days.

I have not had the chance to watch him play yet, definitely looking forward to it!

John Druce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 04:03 PM
Benny FTW
TurnSoonestToTheSea

vCash: 50
Not a fan of playing dmen in the NHL at 18. Give them a chance to round out there game with more minutes against easier competition.

Benny FTW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 04:06 PM
Loffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny FTW View Post
Not a fan of playing dmen in the NHL at 18. Give them a chance to round out there game with more minutes against easier competition.
There's no need for that in Rasse's case. He has honed his game for two years now against AHL-level competition. He is ready to the next step.

Loffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 05:17 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny FTW View Post
Really no need for it in Risto's case. This isn't like a kid coming out of juniors whose toughest competition to date was maybe playing in the WJC. He's been playing professional hockey against men since he was 16 in a league that's comparable to the AHL. I don't think another year in Finland would kill him, but he's earned his spot.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 06:48 AM
thomast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
Really no need for it in Risto's case. This isn't like a kid coming out of juniors whose toughest competition to date was maybe playing in the WJC. He's been playing professional hockey against men since he was 16 in a league that's comparable to the AHL. I don't think another year in Finland would kill him, but he's earned his spot.
The thing is that Ristolainen was pretty average FEL defenseman last year. He didn't do anything special. I think that north american game fits him better but i wouldn't be suprised if he was sent back in the minors. He has all the tools to play well but it might be too earöy for him. In the other hand if he adjust early it could give him boost for his developement. He could end up as really good defenseman learning from Teppo Numminen. Interesting to see how he does vs how Jones does at Nashville. Could be really good comparison for next season.

thomast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 07:26 AM
Gaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomast View Post
The thing is that Ristolainen was pretty average FEL defenseman last year. He didn't do anything special. I think that north american game fits him better but i wouldn't be suprised if he was sent back in the minors. He has all the tools to play well but it might be too earöy for him. In the other hand if he adjust early it could give him boost for his developement. He could end up as really good defenseman learning from Teppo Numminen. Interesting to see how he does vs how Jones does at Nashville. Could be really good comparison for next season.
He did surprisingly well at the WC camp last spring and I would have let him stay for the final week of camp. Young players with such high potential can take huge leaps in development over short periods of time. Based on what I have seen during the last few weeks, he is much better already than most Finns give him credit for, and I admit that before training camp I didn't think he would even be given the 9-game trial. Nobody knows if he's truly ready for the NHL, but bringing up his last season is not necessarily the best argument here.

Gaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 08:17 AM
MMANumminen

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomast View Post
I'd say above average, at least in poor TPS team. I didn't see too many TPS games though...

But considering his age he was very special and I hope he will be regular on national team as well in future. We never have enough dmen with size.

He has earned his spot in Buffalo which is great. I also think his game suits better for smaller rink. Well if he sucks afterall then send him down.

MMANumminen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 02:07 PM
Mara

I don't understand how he's still in Buffalo. When I saw him play last season I thought he was very average. He must've taken huge leaps in development during the spring and summer. Just amazing.

Mara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 02:10 PM
Moskau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mara View Post
I don't understand how he's still in Buffalo. When I saw him play last season I thought he was very average. He must've taken huge leaps in development during the spring and summer. Just amazing.
Oh the guy who has been playing against men since he was 16 at the hardest position to play is average? Or could it possibly be you saw him once or twice and formed an opinion on that?

Moskau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 02:18 PM
JJTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
Oh the guy who has been playing against men since he was 16 at the hardest position to play is average? Or could it possibly be you saw him once or twice and formed an opinion on that?
No, what he is saying is true. Ristolainen was very averege last season. Didn't really stand out and had some horrible defensive lapses at times. He has developed a lot since his season ended last year. He looks so much calmer on the ice now than he did last year.

JJTT is offline   Reply With Quote