HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

RD Rasmus Ristolainen - TPS, FEL (2013, 8th overall, Buffalo)

Old
09-30-2013, 01:18 PM
Mara

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
Oh the guy who has been playing against men since he was 16 at the hardest position to play is average? Or could it possibly be you saw him once or twice and formed an opinion on that?
What does his age have to do with his then-current level of play? I saw 8 games of TPS overall and I compared him to the competition, which is much worse than the NHL, and he was very average. Great for his age, sure.

Mara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 03:20 PM
Moskau

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJTT View Post
No, what he is saying is true. Ristolainen was very averege last season. Didn't really stand out and had some horrible defensive lapses at times. He has developed a lot since his season ended last year. He looks so much calmer on the ice now than he did last year.
So the guy drafted 8th overall in one of the deepest drafts on the past decade was average last season? Sorry I just don't buy it. Couldn't it be that his play style isn't nearly exciting as someone like Seth Jones?

Moskau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 03:45 PM
Hagged

Ristolainen was the highest point scoring defenseman on a weak TPS team. He was 40th among 86 full time defensemen in the league point wise and that is average (below average when comparing the points/minutes stats) but again it was enough to be the highest scoring defensman on TPS team, also he was playing in the lower lines when Koivu, Korpikoski, Shattenkirk and Russel where playing as they were playing as a line. He would definitely have a higher point total if he got to play with Koivu and Korpikoski. Looking at his +/- can be misleading as he was consistantly playing against top lines, top offensive players. He played a lot of penalty kill, often being on the ice when the PK ended and especially late in the games those were the times we saw bad defensive lapses out of Ristolainen. But then again, he was heavy built 18 year old playing 22 minutes on average. He is a good skater, but could choose more wisely when to use his energy. Hopefully he won't be counted on as heavily in Buffalo since his stamina isn't on NHL level yet.

I wouldn't say he was average or below average as he was playing top pairing minutes against good opponents and still did manage without collapsing other than on few occasions late game long shift situations. Along with the sound defensive game (you can counter me with +/- stats, or linking a youtube video of an ugly decision but the fact that he got those minutes should speak to my advantage here) he was the top scoring d on a weak team.

Him being 18 might blur my view so that I can't stay complitely objective on his last season, but I feel it's more of Ristolainen being impressive than me being a prospect fanboy when I say Ristolainen was well above average defenseman in FEL last season. You can get a roster spot in TPS easier than in the average FEL team, but you need to be above average to make the top pairing and get the top 30 TOI of defensemen in the league (excluding the 10 NHL lockout players above him) out of ~150 defensemen (160 with the lockout players).

Last edited by Hagged: 09-30-2013 at 03:54 PM.
Hagged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 03:50 PM
MacOfNiagara
Blue&Gold from birth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mara View Post
I don't understand how he's still in Buffalo. When I saw him play last season I thought he was very average. He must've taken huge leaps in development during the spring and summer. Just amazing.
He looked real good in dev camp, training camp and preseason. Nearly flawless every game. Zero indecision, oozes confidence and skill.

MacOfNiagara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 04:02 PM
geoo9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagged View Post
Ristolainen was the highest point scoring defenseman on a weak TPS team. He was 40th among 86 full time defensemen in the league point wise and that is average (below average when comparing the points/minutes stats) but again it was enough to be the highest scoring defensman on TPS team, also he was playing in the lower lines when Koivu, Korpikoski, Shattenkirk and Russel where playing as they were playing as a line. He would definitely have a higher point total if he got to play with Koivu and Korpikoski. Looking at his +/- can be misleading as he was consistantly playing against top lines, top offensive players. He played a lot of penalty kill, often being on the ice when the PK ended and especially late in the games those were the times we saw bad defensive lapses out of Ristolainen. But then again, he was heavy built 18 year old playing 22 minutes on average. He is a good skater, but could choose more wisely when to use his energy. Hopefully he won't be counted on as heavily in Buffalo since his stamina isn't on NHL level yet.

I wouldn't say he was average or below average as he was playing top pairing minutes against good opponents and still did manage without collapsing other than on few occasions late game long shift situations. Along with the sound defensive game (you can counter me with +/- stats, or linking a youtube video of an ugly decision but the fact that he got those minutes should speak to my advantage here) he was the top scoring d on a weak team.

Him being 18 might blur my view so that I can't stay complitely objective on his last season, but I feel it's more of Ristolainen being impressive than me being a prospect fanboy when I say Ristolainen was well above average defenseman in FEL last season. You can get a roster spot in TPS easier than in the average FEL team, but you need to be above average to make the top pairing and get the top 30 TOI of defensemen in the league (excluding the 10 NHL lockout players above him) out of ~150 defensemen (160 with the lockout players).
i want to look him at regulars

geoo9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 05:21 PM
pigpen65

The Sabres were worried that he was going to get drafted at #4. They said when they drafted him they thought he was NHL ready. Fast forward to today, he's starting opening day. For the Sabres at least, he was better than average. He was excellent in the preseason. And the crazy thing is that the hype that should be going for him right now is actually being quieted by Zadorov, who looked equally NHL ready in the preseason.

pigpen65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 06:42 AM
QnebO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
So the guy drafted 8th overall in one of the deepest drafts on the past decade was average last season? Sorry I just don't buy it. Couldn't it be that his play style isn't nearly exciting as someone like Seth Jones?
In Finland, players get boosted hype if they play in Helsinki teams. If they play outside Helsinki, they can be pretty good without getting any hype basicly. If Vatanen did what he did in Jokerit, winning the best defence man title of the league, he would've been hyped as future NHL Chuck Norris-Erik Karlsson mix for example.

QnebO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 08:18 AM
Tim Murray
HoF Turd Shiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by QnebO View Post
In Finland, players get boosted hype if they play in Helsinki teams. If they play outside Helsinki, they can be pretty good without getting any hype basicly. If Vatanen did what he did in Jokerit, winning the best defence man title of the league, he would've been hyped as future NHL Chuck Norris-Erik Karlsson mix for example.
I feel pretty confident NA scouts didn't rank Risto where they did based on Finnish hype. No offense.

Tim Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 09:16 AM
thomast

Sabres brass have been very high on Ristolainen for many years. I believe that Ristolainen was very high ranked player at their boards. Maybe even at 4-5. I think that it was pretty clear that who they draft especially when Sabres brass told that they are very interested about two finnish prospects this year. Everything ended well when Risto was still on the board. I'd like to say that one key thing is that Risto will get alot of help from one of their coaches Teppo Numminen. With that kind of experience and knowledge he could boost his developement and make him more confident. I'm very pleased that he ended up in buffalo.

thomast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 09:40 AM
QnebO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogilny 89 View Post
I feel pretty confident NA scouts didn't rank Risto where they did based on Finnish hype. No offense.
Hopefully it's true, but my point still is that he would probably have less people telling he's average if he played in Helsinki team's 1st pairing. So I basicly said what you said there, scouts know better than fans.

QnebO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2013, 10:27 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Still liking Ristolainen's ability on the PK right off the bat. So far, mostly steady work with the occassional hit.

10-12-2013, 10:47 PM
MacOfNiagara
Blue&Gold from birth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Still liking Ristolainen's ability on the PK right off the bat. So far, mostly steady work with the occassional hit.
Agreed. Doesnt seem out of place at all IMO.

Old
10-13-2013, 11:05 AM
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacOfNiagara View Post
Agreed. Doesnt seem out of place at all IMO.
I find when the puck is loose around the net or something, he just looks completely lost at where to go/who to cover.

Other than that, his board play and PK work is great.

couture23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2013, 12:03 PM
f1nn

vCash: 1312
Send a message via AIM to f1nn
I've watched I think 2 or 3 sabres games this season and I think Rasmus looked great.. Although I think he does a bit too much chasing in the defensive zone but I'm sure that'll improve as he develops

f1nn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2013, 02:01 PM
Gabranth
#19 #88

Do you think he will be sent down after 9 games?

Gabranth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2013, 02:52 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabranth View Post
Do you think he will be sent down after 9 games?
No, I think he's around for more than just 9 at this point.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 10:23 AM
Gaps

Looks like he will be scratched tonight. Are they buying more time to decide whether he should go back to Finland or not? I thought the Sabres have iced worse defensemen than him this season.

Gaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 10:28 AM
MacOfNiagara
Blue&Gold from birth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaps View Post
Looks like he will be scratched tonight. Are they buying more time to decide whether he should go back to Finland or not? I thought the Sabres have iced worse defensemen than him this season.
NM. Confirmed through Buff news as a scratch.

Last edited by MacOfNiagara: 10-14-2013 at 10:47 AM.
Old
10-14-2013, 10:56 AM
wirelessflyingcord
An Oxymoron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaps View Post
TPS' player coordinator commented this here (from Oct 5, in Finnish), the comments read like their official stance on this...

Quote:
"That's how it goes according to the rules. We have a contract with him and he will be coming back to play for us if he doesn't fit in to Buffalo's lineup. He will not play in the AHL. I'll underline that we wish him success and luck in the NHL"

"His spot in the lineup is fully under the control of Buffalo. We'll wait their decision"

"He would be a strengthening for us [TPS]"

Last edited by wirelessflyingcord: 10-21-2013 at 08:49 AM.
wirelessflyingcord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2013, 08:49 AM
wirelessflyingcord
An Oxymoron

So: has been assigned to Rochester despite the understanding that he can't play there.

Thread on the Sabres subforum: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...498267&page=99

wirelessflyingcord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2013, 08:52 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Seems like roster shenanigans at this point.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2013, 11:35 AM
robertguess2013

Send a message via AIM to robertguess2013 Send a message via MSN to robertguess2013 Send a message via Yahoo to robertguess2013
Long run think he is better than jones. Think they want to give zadorov a trial and risto will be back.

Isnt there some rule of trial to put a player in AHL? A certain number of games?

I do not think Zadorov is NHL ready and that will show he will be great also in long run though.

robertguess2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2013, 11:43 AM
vanskillZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertguess2013 View Post
Long run think he is better than jones. Think they want to give zadorov a trial and risto will be back.

Isnt there some rule of trial to put a player in AHL? A certain number of games?

I do not think Zadorov is NHL ready and that will show he will be great also in long run though.
Risto was already recalled, sabres probably put someone on IR. Zadorov will probably get some games and be back in juniors. It will be interesting to see if Risto ends up playing the whole season with the sabres

vanskillZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2013, 11:50 AM
robertguess2013

Send a message via AIM to robertguess2013 Send a message via MSN to robertguess2013 Send a message via Yahoo to robertguess2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanskillZ View Post
Risto was already recalled, sabres probably put someone on IR. Zadorov will probably get some games and be back in juniors. It will be interesting to see if Risto ends up playing the whole season with the sabres
He might not might play the 40 so can save money but think he has been fine I have only seen two times but played just fine to me for 18? year old.

robertguess2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2013, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertguess2013 View Post

The only way Risto becomes bettee than Jones is injuries, they are in complety different leagues.

Also, Zadorov looked pretty impressive in his first game albeit only playing 11 minutes.

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote