HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

RD Rasmus Ristolainen - TPS, FEL (2013, 8th overall, Buffalo)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-30-2013, 01:18 PM
  #101
Mara
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 575
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
Oh the guy who has been playing against men since he was 16 at the hardest position to play is average? Or could it possibly be you saw him once or twice and formed an opinion on that?
What does his age have to do with his then-current level of play? I saw 8 games of TPS overall and I compared him to the competition, which is much worse than the NHL, and he was very average. Great for his age, sure.

Mara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 03:20 PM
  #102
Moskau
Registered User
 
Moskau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Western New York
Posts: 9,791
vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJTT View Post
No, what he is saying is true. Ristolainen was very averege last season. Didn't really stand out and had some horrible defensive lapses at times. He has developed a lot since his season ended last year. He looks so much calmer on the ice now than he did last year.
So the guy drafted 8th overall in one of the deepest drafts on the past decade was average last season? Sorry I just don't buy it. Couldn't it be that his play style isn't nearly exciting as someone like Seth Jones?

Moskau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 03:45 PM
  #103
Hagged
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country:
Posts: 1,553
vCash: 500
Ristolainen was the highest point scoring defenseman on a weak TPS team. He was 40th among 86 full time defensemen in the league point wise and that is average (below average when comparing the points/minutes stats) but again it was enough to be the highest scoring defensman on TPS team, also he was playing in the lower lines when Koivu, Korpikoski, Shattenkirk and Russel where playing as they were playing as a line. He would definitely have a higher point total if he got to play with Koivu and Korpikoski. Looking at his +/- can be misleading as he was consistantly playing against top lines, top offensive players. He played a lot of penalty kill, often being on the ice when the PK ended and especially late in the games those were the times we saw bad defensive lapses out of Ristolainen. But then again, he was heavy built 18 year old playing 22 minutes on average. He is a good skater, but could choose more wisely when to use his energy. Hopefully he won't be counted on as heavily in Buffalo since his stamina isn't on NHL level yet.

I wouldn't say he was average or below average as he was playing top pairing minutes against good opponents and still did manage without collapsing other than on few occasions late game long shift situations. Along with the sound defensive game (you can counter me with +/- stats, or linking a youtube video of an ugly decision but the fact that he got those minutes should speak to my advantage here) he was the top scoring d on a weak team.

Him being 18 might blur my view so that I can't stay complitely objective on his last season, but I feel it's more of Ristolainen being impressive than me being a prospect fanboy when I say Ristolainen was well above average defenseman in FEL last season. You can get a roster spot in TPS easier than in the average FEL team, but you need to be above average to make the top pairing and get the top 30 TOI of defensemen in the league (excluding the 10 NHL lockout players above him) out of ~150 defensemen (160 with the lockout players).


Last edited by Hagged: 09-30-2013 at 03:54 PM.
Hagged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 03:50 PM
  #104
MacOfNiagara
Blue&Gold from birth
 
MacOfNiagara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Niagara Falls
Country: United States
Posts: 2,702
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mara View Post
I don't understand how he's still in Buffalo. When I saw him play last season I thought he was very average. He must've taken huge leaps in development during the spring and summer. Just amazing.
He looked real good in dev camp, training camp and preseason. Nearly flawless every game. Zero indecision, oozes confidence and skill.

MacOfNiagara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 04:02 PM
  #105
geoo9
Registered User
 
geoo9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: rusland
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 449
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagged View Post
Ristolainen was the highest point scoring defenseman on a weak TPS team. He was 40th among 86 full time defensemen in the league point wise and that is average (below average when comparing the points/minutes stats) but again it was enough to be the highest scoring defensman on TPS team, also he was playing in the lower lines when Koivu, Korpikoski, Shattenkirk and Russel where playing as they were playing as a line. He would definitely have a higher point total if he got to play with Koivu and Korpikoski. Looking at his +/- can be misleading as he was consistantly playing against top lines, top offensive players. He played a lot of penalty kill, often being on the ice when the PK ended and especially late in the games those were the times we saw bad defensive lapses out of Ristolainen. But then again, he was heavy built 18 year old playing 22 minutes on average. He is a good skater, but could choose more wisely when to use his energy. Hopefully he won't be counted on as heavily in Buffalo since his stamina isn't on NHL level yet.

I wouldn't say he was average or below average as he was playing top pairing minutes against good opponents and still did manage without collapsing other than on few occasions late game long shift situations. Along with the sound defensive game (you can counter me with +/- stats, or linking a youtube video of an ugly decision but the fact that he got those minutes should speak to my advantage here) he was the top scoring d on a weak team.

Him being 18 might blur my view so that I can't stay complitely objective on his last season, but I feel it's more of Ristolainen being impressive than me being a prospect fanboy when I say Ristolainen was well above average defenseman in FEL last season. You can get a roster spot in TPS easier than in the average FEL team, but you need to be above average to make the top pairing and get the top 30 TOI of defensemen in the league (excluding the 10 NHL lockout players above him) out of ~150 defensemen (160 with the lockout players).
i want to look him at regulars

geoo9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 05:21 PM
  #106
pigpen65
Registered User
 
pigpen65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,073
vCash: 500
The Sabres were worried that he was going to get drafted at #4. They said when they drafted him they thought he was NHL ready. Fast forward to today, he's starting opening day. For the Sabres at least, he was better than average. He was excellent in the preseason. And the crazy thing is that the hype that should be going for him right now is actually being quieted by Zadorov, who looked equally NHL ready in the preseason.

pigpen65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 06:42 AM
  #107
QnebO
Registered User
 
QnebO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Finland
Posts: 4,667
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
So the guy drafted 8th overall in one of the deepest drafts on the past decade was average last season? Sorry I just don't buy it. Couldn't it be that his play style isn't nearly exciting as someone like Seth Jones?
In Finland, players get boosted hype if they play in Helsinki teams. If they play outside Helsinki, they can be pretty good without getting any hype basicly. If Vatanen did what he did in Jokerit, winning the best defence man title of the league, he would've been hyped as future NHL Chuck Norris-Erik Karlsson mix for example.

QnebO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 08:18 AM
  #108
Tim Murray
HoF Turd Shiner
 
Tim Murray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 4,398
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by QnebO View Post
In Finland, players get boosted hype if they play in Helsinki teams. If they play outside Helsinki, they can be pretty good without getting any hype basicly. If Vatanen did what he did in Jokerit, winning the best defence man title of the league, he would've been hyped as future NHL Chuck Norris-Erik Karlsson mix for example.
I feel pretty confident NA scouts didn't rank Risto where they did based on Finnish hype. No offense.

Tim Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 09:16 AM
  #109
thomast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,582
vCash: 500
Sabres brass have been very high on Ristolainen for many years. I believe that Ristolainen was very high ranked player at their boards. Maybe even at 4-5. I think that it was pretty clear that who they draft especially when Sabres brass told that they are very interested about two finnish prospects this year. Everything ended well when Risto was still on the board. I'd like to say that one key thing is that Risto will get alot of help from one of their coaches Teppo Numminen. With that kind of experience and knowledge he could boost his developement and make him more confident. I'm very pleased that he ended up in buffalo.

thomast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 09:40 AM
  #110
QnebO
Registered User
 
QnebO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Finland
Posts: 4,667
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogilny 89 View Post
I feel pretty confident NA scouts didn't rank Risto where they did based on Finnish hype. No offense.
Hopefully it's true, but my point still is that he would probably have less people telling he's average if he played in Helsinki team's 1st pairing. So I basicly said what you said there, scouts know better than fans.

QnebO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2013, 10:27 PM
  #111
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 56,446
vCash: 500
Awards:
Still liking Ristolainen's ability on the PK right off the bat. So far, mostly steady work with the occassional hit.

__________________
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle
Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2013, 10:47 PM
  #112
MacOfNiagara
Blue&Gold from birth
 
MacOfNiagara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Niagara Falls
Country: United States
Posts: 2,702
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Still liking Ristolainen's ability on the PK right off the bat. So far, mostly steady work with the occassional hit.
Agreed. Doesnt seem out of place at all IMO.

MacOfNiagara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2013, 11:05 AM
  #113
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox
 
couture23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: GTA/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,994
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacOfNiagara View Post
Agreed. Doesnt seem out of place at all IMO.
I find when the puck is loose around the net or something, he just looks completely lost at where to go/who to cover.

Other than that, his board play and PK work is great.

couture23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2013, 12:03 PM
  #114
f1nn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Espoo, Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 2,782
vCash: 1312
Send a message via AIM to f1nn
I've watched I think 2 or 3 sabres games this season and I think Rasmus looked great.. Although I think he does a bit too much chasing in the defensive zone but I'm sure that'll improve as he develops

f1nn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2013, 02:01 PM
  #115
Gabranth
#19 #88
 
Gabranth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Country: Finland
Posts: 261
vCash: 500
Do you think he will be sent down after 9 games?

Gabranth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2013, 02:52 PM
  #116
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 56,446
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabranth View Post
Do you think he will be sent down after 9 games?
No, I think he's around for more than just 9 at this point.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 10:23 AM
  #117
Gaps
Registered User
 
Gaps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,520
vCash: 500
Looks like he will be scratched tonight. Are they buying more time to decide whether he should go back to Finland or not? I thought the Sabres have iced worse defensemen than him this season.

Gaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 10:28 AM
  #118
MacOfNiagara
Blue&Gold from birth
 
MacOfNiagara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Niagara Falls
Country: United States
Posts: 2,702
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaps View Post
Looks like he will be scratched tonight. Are they buying more time to decide whether he should go back to Finland or not? I thought the Sabres have iced worse defensemen than him this season.
NM. Confirmed through Buff news as a scratch.


Last edited by MacOfNiagara: 10-14-2013 at 10:47 AM.
MacOfNiagara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 10:56 AM
  #119
wirelessflyingcord
An Oxymoron
 
wirelessflyingcord's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 894
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaps View Post
Looks like he will be scratched tonight. Are they buying more time to decide whether he should go back to Finland or not? I thought the Sabres have iced worse defensemen than him this season.
TPS' player coordinator commented this here (from Oct 5, in Finnish), the comments read like their official stance on this...

Quote:
"That's how it goes according to the rules. We have a contract with him and he will be coming back to play for us if he doesn't fit in to Buffalo's lineup. He will not play in the AHL. I'll underline that we wish him success and luck in the NHL"

"His spot in the lineup is fully under the control of Buffalo. We'll wait their decision"

"He would be a strengthening for us [TPS]"


Last edited by wirelessflyingcord: 10-21-2013 at 08:49 AM.
wirelessflyingcord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2013, 08:49 AM
  #120
wirelessflyingcord
An Oxymoron
 
wirelessflyingcord's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 894
vCash: 500
So: has been assigned to Rochester despite the understanding that he can't play there.

Thread on the Sabres subforum: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...498267&page=99

wirelessflyingcord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2013, 08:52 AM
  #121
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 56,446
vCash: 500
Awards:
Seems like roster shenanigans at this point.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2013, 11:35 AM
  #122
robertguess2013
Registered User
 
robertguess2013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: New Port Richey Fl
Country: United States
Posts: 5,623
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to robertguess2013 Send a message via MSN to robertguess2013 Send a message via Yahoo to robertguess2013
Long run think he is better than jones. Think they want to give zadorov a trial and risto will be back.

Isnt there some rule of trial to put a player in AHL? A certain number of games?

I do not think Zadorov is NHL ready and that will show he will be great also in long run though.

robertguess2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2013, 11:43 AM
  #123
vanskillZ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 39
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertguess2013 View Post
Long run think he is better than jones. Think they want to give zadorov a trial and risto will be back.

Isnt there some rule of trial to put a player in AHL? A certain number of games?

I do not think Zadorov is NHL ready and that will show he will be great also in long run though.
Risto was already recalled, sabres probably put someone on IR. Zadorov will probably get some games and be back in juniors. It will be interesting to see if Risto ends up playing the whole season with the sabres

vanskillZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2013, 11:50 AM
  #124
robertguess2013
Registered User
 
robertguess2013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: New Port Richey Fl
Country: United States
Posts: 5,623
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to robertguess2013 Send a message via MSN to robertguess2013 Send a message via Yahoo to robertguess2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanskillZ View Post
Risto was already recalled, sabres probably put someone on IR. Zadorov will probably get some games and be back in juniors. It will be interesting to see if Risto ends up playing the whole season with the sabres
He might not might play the 40 so can save money but think he has been fine I have only seen two times but played just fine to me for 18? year old.

robertguess2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2013, 11:52 AM
  #125
1972
Registered User
 
1972's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,013
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertguess2013 View Post
Long run think he is better than jones. Think they want to give zadorov a trial and risto will be back.

Isnt there some rule of trial to put a player in AHL? A certain number of games?

I do not think Zadorov is NHL ready and that will show he will be great also in long run though.
The only way Risto becomes bettee than Jones is injuries, they are in complety different leagues.

Also, Zadorov looked pretty impressive in his first game albeit only playing 11 minutes.

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:16 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.