HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Croatia: Will Medvescak players become naturalized?

Old
09-23-2013, 05:02 AM
Darth Yoda

vCash: 593
Croatia: Will Medvescak players become naturalized?

I believe that just as important as Medvescak are to make hockey a more popular sport in Croatia(And perhaps in their neighbouring countries), is that their national team plays in higher divisions in the WHC. Here i thought we could share any info we have concerning players chances and thoughts about becoming naturalized and at the same time speed up Team Croatias climb through the ranks.

Some players that seem to be the most likely to make the jump:

Dario Kostovic
Sasa Martinovic
Nathan Perkovich
Mark Dekanich
Mike Glumac
Mark Katic (Has played WJC for Canada)
Mark Popovic (Has played WJC for Canada)

Any more, maybe even with non-croatian names?

Last edited by Darth Yoda: 09-24-2013 at 08:32 AM.
Darth Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 03:54 PM
ficohok*
Mrzim Kanadu !

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Yoda View Post
I believe that just as important as Medvescak are to make hockey a more popular sport in Croatia(And perhaps in their neighbouring countries), is that their national team plays in higher divisions in the WHC. Here i thought we could share any info we have concerning players chances and thoughts about becoming naturalized and at the same time speed up Team Croatias climb through the ranks.

Some players that seem to be the most likely to make the jump:

Dario Kostovic
Sasa Martinovic
Nathan Perkovich
Mark Dekanich
Mike Glumac
Mark Katic (Has played WJC for Canada)
Mark Popovic (Has played WJC for Canada)

Any more, maybe even with non-croatian names?

Problem is that nobody, not even people in federation, doesn't know what is long-term plan for National team. So far passports that were given to Medvescak's players (talking about EBEL time) were mostly because of reducing points (you probably heard about 60 point rule in EBEL - smth like "salary cap") because many players with our passports left Medvescak, retired due to injuries (Filewich) or were sacked just before they gained eligbilty to play for Croatia.

Players that are eligible to play for Croatia at WC 2014. are :

Gk : Ouzas

Df's : Sertich*, MacAulay, Waugh, Martinovic*, Letang,

Fw's: Prpic* (reportedly playing top amateur league in Canada), Kostovic* (currently on KHL roster).

* - croatian heritage.

There are simply not enough good enough cronucks for Croatian NT to make some significant jump...with every cronuck at disposal...we would be D1A/bottom Elite team...if...

If the goal is to reach elite and stay there and try to make a push for OG's, then whole current Medvescak roster needs to be naturalized (minus players that are regulars on their NT-s, Bjorkstrand, Svarny ?)

Few days ago Steve Montador gave an interview to Championat.ru and was asked about playing for Croatia he said he would like to.

We will see how things will develop with our NT, but despite heavy criticism in Croatia and major opposition to naturalization politicis, I am all for cronucks + "real" foreginers and as long it goes goes. We simply need to use this KHL presence in Croatia and try to strenght NT (even with artifical approach). If that doesn't pan out, we can always return to domestic players and return to our good old habits like bouncing between D2A and D1B.

ficohok* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 04:27 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Good quality young Croatian players won't be developed and produced because a few older Canadian players are naturalized. The key to development is investment, coaching, marketing and making the sport more affordable/less expensive.

A slightly higher quality national team isn't going to alter many of these factors. Those factors are determined by the federation, the hockey clubs and people involved in Croatian hockey. Looking for the quick fix never solves the problem.

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 05:43 PM
CoolForumNamePending

Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
Good quality young Croatian players won't be developed and produced because a few older Canadian players are naturalized. The key to development is investment, coaching, marketing and making the sport more affordable/less expensive.

A slightly higher quality national team isn't going to alter many of these factors. Those factors are determined by the federation, the hockey clubs and people involved in Croatian hockey. Looking for the quick fix never solves the problem.
Ya... If Croatia takes this route the absolute best they can hope for is to become another Italy. Italy is currently an Elite/Div 1A yo-yo team that when compared to other nations seems to be in relative decline.

France at one point was similar to Italy. They relied on a large amount of naturalized players and it never really got them anywhere. It seems at some point they decided to abandoned the 'ringer' strategy and now with a team full of domestically developed players they have played in the elite division every year since 2008. The last couple of years they have even flirted with a QF birth @ the WC.

A decade or so ago both Norway and Denmark were weaker 'hockey nations' than Italy. Now in 2013 both are stable elite division teams and they have done it without players born and raised in Moose Jay or Sudbury. Norway has made the WC QF in 3 of the last 6 years and will be playing in their 2nd straight Olympic tournament next year. Denmark has also made a WC QF in recent years and could hit double digit NHL players as early has this season. Italy on the other hand will probably once again be relegated to division 1A next year.

Basically my point is 'small hockey nations' with limited resources both on and off the ice have found a way to put in place a foundation and infrastructure capable of producing enough elite players to field respectable national teams. Probably easier said than done but I think long term Croatian hockey would be far better off following the 'Denmark' model instead of the 'Italy' model. Perhaps they could look to their neighbor to the north for some inspiration.

Last edited by CoolForumNamePending: 09-29-2013 at 05:51 PM.
CoolForumNamePending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 03:52 PM
Darth Yoda

Cant you do both. Why would a few cro-american players destroy your own player develoment.

Old
09-30-2013, 04:39 PM
ficohok*
Mrzim Kanadu !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Yoda View Post
Cant you do both. Why would a few cro-american players destroy your own player develoment.
Of course it won't...especially not in Croatia, where development is almost non-existant.

Old
10-03-2013, 05:14 PM
Fragmuffin

its not like 5-6 games at the end of a season are crucial for a young players development... both ways are good, but as CroHabitant said... no one has a clue of what this team should look like in the next 2 years and no one seems to be too concerned by it

Fragmuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2013, 07:32 PM
HajdukSplit

vCash: 214
some players have already been naturalized and I assume once eligible, if they are interested, the trend will continue. One of Medvescak's assistant coaches is the NT team coach as well.

Only Croatian born player worth anything seems to be Borna Rendulic

HajdukSplit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 07:48 AM
ficohok*
Mrzim Kanadu !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragmuffin View Post
its not like 5-6 games at the end of a season are crucial for a young players development... both ways are good, but as CroHabitant said... no one has a clue of what this team should look like in the next 2 years and no one seems to be too concerned by it
But croatian hockey forum logic (some members of course) is that national team jersey should be reward (!?) for the homegrown players...

Old
10-10-2013, 06:43 AM
FinnSlovak

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Cory Sarich of a Croatian heritage? He's currently 35 years old and he has played a long time ago for Canadian U20 team. For sure he's a good defenceman, and perhaps he could play for Medvescak and the Croatian NT in the future?

I'm not a big fan of this kind of procedure that for example cronucks could play for Croatia, having also represented Canada in the past though.

FinnSlovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 08:18 AM
Darth Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnSlovak View Post
I'm not a big fan of this kind of procedure that for example cronucks could play for Croatia, having also represented Canada in the past though.
As long as a player does not play for two teams in one tournament i'm contempt about it. I simply do not believe that his one WJC what 15 years ago made him more canadian than any other canadian that did not. But of course there still must be some time limit and rules to fill so that players cant just play for whatever nation they want right off the bat.

Old
10-10-2013, 03:22 PM
ficohok*
Mrzim Kanadu !

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnSlovak View Post
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Cory Sarich of a Croatian heritage? He's currently 35 years old and he has played a long time ago for Canadian U20 team. For sure he's a good defenceman, and perhaps he could play for Medvescak and the Croatian NT in the future?
He is of a Croatian heritage. His coming to Medvescak is a long shot, but you never know, who the hell could imagine Medvescak in KHL three or four years back...

Old
10-10-2013, 09:00 PM
HajdukSplit

vCash: 214
The one which I wonder about is Hamonic of the Islanders (not saying he will ever join Medvescak, just curious ). On his Wikipedia it says he is of Cro descent but Hamonic isn't exactly a common surname, in fact I went on that imehrvatsko website and there isn't a single Hamonic in the entire country

HajdukSplit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 04:44 AM
ficohok*
Mrzim Kanadu !

Quote:
Originally Posted by HajdukSplit View Post
The one which I wonder about is Hamonic of the Islanders (not saying he will ever join Medvescak, just curious ). On his Wikipedia it says he is of Cro descent but Hamonic isn't exactly a common surname, in fact I went on that imehrvatsko website and there isn't a single Hamonic in the entire country
Surname Hamonic is of a French descent. Can't remember even if you kill me where I read that, but I am 100% about it. Willie Mitchell is half Croat (by mother side).

Old
11-17-2013, 04:33 AM
ficohok*
Mrzim Kanadu !

Hugh Jessiman will get croatian passport.

Old
12-02-2013, 03:57 PM
bobbeaver

im sure dekanich will aswell get a passport. i mean he is all into croatia. plus he is a great goalie

bobbeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2013, 02:52 PM
ficohok*
Mrzim Kanadu !

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbeaver View Post
im sure dekanich will aswell get a passport. i mean he is all into croatia. plus he is a great goalie
Dex already has passport.

Old
12-08-2013, 10:29 AM
Old Norse Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficohok View Post
Dex already has passport.
They have to play at least 5 years in Croatia after they have gotten their Croatian citizenship to be able to play for the Croatian National team donít they? Didnít IIHF change the rules for that in the late 90ís?

Old Norse Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2013, 01:05 PM
FishManSam
Bobs Yummy Burgers!

Despite having never been there I take pride being half Croatian and I would love to see them ice successful teams and I think they are capable of doing so.

FishManSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2013, 01:06 PM
JJTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Norse Hockey View Post
They have to play at least 5 years in Croatia after they have gotten their Croatian citizenship to be able to play for the Croatian National team donít they? Didnít IIHF change the rules for that in the late 90ís?
2 years, not 5

JJTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 01:39 PM
jekoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Norse Hockey View Post
They have to play at least 5 years in Croatia after they have gotten their Croatian citizenship to be able to play for the Croatian National team donít they?
They have to play 2 seasons in Croatia and be Croatian citizens. "Before" or "after" makes no difference.

jekoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2013, 02:49 PM
wings5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishManSam View Post
Despite having never been there I take pride being half Croatian and I would love to see them ice successful teams and I think they are capable of doing so.
Of course they can, they are a country of under 5 million and are still good at so many sports. Whatever the sport it if there is interest they will be good at it. If hockey simply had more interest they could be an elite nation as well.

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 07:43 PM
nabby12

Interviewing Mark Dekanich of Medveščak Zagreb tomorrow so if anyone has questions they'd like asked...please PM or post here.

nabby12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2013, 08:17 PM
nabby12

need any questions by 11pm tonight central time. thanks all.

nabby12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2013, 03:37 AM
ficohok*
Mrzim Kanadu !

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabby12 View Post
need any questions by 11pm tonight central time. thanks all.
Please, share link with interview