Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Sarnia Sting 2013-14 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
09-23-2013, 01:25 PM
krauss72

vCash: 500
Patience and a positive outlook go a long way. This is why Trevor will turn this ship around, providing he is allowed to do what HE knows needs to be done.

Old
09-23-2013, 04:25 PM
jolly roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean youngblood82 View Post
Justin Fazio performing well for Lambton Shores coming off of a 52-save performance. This is a great experience for the young net minder seeing lots of rubber and getting some Jr B starts
Thanks Dean. You're absolutely right, and that's where a young goalie should get his experiense. I hope they don't make the mistake of rushing him in to "rescue" the big team situation.

Old
09-25-2013, 09:34 AM
BoxerMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolly roger View Post
Thanks Dean. You're absolutely right, and that's where a young goalie should get his experiense. I hope they don't make the mistake of rushing him in to "rescue" the big team situation.
The Sting have played one game, there is no need to "rescue" anybody. The only way Fazio would be called up this year is due to injury.

Old
09-26-2013, 08:29 PM
massey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerMax View Post
The Sting have played one game, there is no need to "rescue" anybody. The only way Fazio would be called up this year is due to injury.
Speaking of goalies,Congrats to Taylor Dupuis for an outstanding win in Windsor.48 saves in 3-1 win.Exc PK but wow struggling PP 0-15.Congrats Sting

Last edited by massey: 09-26-2013 at 08:44 PM.
Old
09-26-2013, 09:14 PM
krauss72

Excellent job between the pipes by Dupuis. Congrats on your first Sting win.

Old
09-27-2013, 07:52 AM
Stingland

Quote:
Originally Posted by krauss72 View Post
Excellent job between the pipes by Dupuis. Congrats on your first Sting win.
In full agreement. Does any one know why Sudbury traded Taylor . I know it is only one game but he looked pretty good out there. Good pickup by Trevor and company.

Old
09-27-2013, 10:36 AM
SarniaSting101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingland View Post
In full agreement. Does any one know why Sudbury traded Taylor . I know it is only one game but he looked pretty good out there. Good pickup by Trevor and company.
I talked to a friend of mine who is a Wolves season ticket holder so this is just from a fan. Apparently they have Palazzese (sp?) as their overage from Kitchener and is a legitimate #1. They have a really good up and coming with Timpano who is a 97. Apparently Dupuis was just average and therefore not going to do much for the organization in the long term planning.

I wonder who will get the go ahead tonight? Any thoughts? I think both Barrick and Dupuis will have many great games and then many not so great games in this long season.

Old
09-27-2013, 01:12 PM
massey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarniaSting101 View Post
I talked to a friend of mine who is a Wolves season ticket holder so this is just from a fan. Apparently they have Palazzese (sp?) as their overage from Kitchener and is a legitimate #1. They have a really good up and coming with Timpano who is a 97. Apparently Dupuis was just average and therefore not going to do much for the organization in the long term planning.

I wonder who will get the go ahead tonight? Any thoughts? I think both Barrick and Dupuis will have many great games and then many not so great games in this long season.
If I was coach I would put him back in tonight as long as the kid feels good.If not than at least put him in for sunday. I also posted on the Sudbury page to see why they traded him.

Old
09-27-2013, 01:19 PM
massey

Our PP needs some help.This is where we miss Basso and DeAngelo last night.Watching the game,I think we need to forget the 4 forwards and 1 dman and go back to 2 dmen and 3 forwards.Since we seem to have problems putting the puck in the net close range,let the D fire the shots and get someone or 2 in front to clean up the garbage on the PP.We have D-men with great hard shots. We are trying to play puck position but we are going around the perimeter only vs last year when we had the Reid Boucher etc that could snipe it from the perimeter.I realize it is early yet. Looking forward to tonights game and seeing McDavid and Dansk also.Go Sting

Old
09-27-2013, 10:34 PM
massey

Ask and we shall receive.PP got going,went with 3 forwards and 2 D-men.Good performance I thought tonight,Blown call by ref on the otters interference of the Sting D-man creating the 4th goal.First game in a Sting uniform that Goldobin played Offense and Defense.He met our goalie during a game hooray,Tough loss but that Fox,McDavid and Strome line never quit and are tough.Enjoyed watching the game and watching the Sting progressing along.I thought the whole team did pretty well.

Old
09-28-2013, 06:53 AM
StungbySting

Tough loss, but games like this are expected in a rebuilding year. That was by far the best all around game I've seen Goldobin play in a Sting uniform. Very impressive and I look forward to seeing more.

Good to see the PP finally click. I think the Sting would benefit more if they could get someone to stand in front of the net on the PP instead of keeping the puck on the perimeter the whole time. Drop a big body like Hargrave in front of the net and then have Goldobin, Korostelev, DeAngelo and Dunnick/Hore. The Sting seem to be missing a heavy shot from the point too. Lots to build from though!!!

Old
09-28-2013, 10:39 AM
Schlerk

was nice to see the pp finally moving the puck around. it will click, eventually. i thought dupuis would get the start, after the performance the night before. perhaps trevor wanted to give him a rest. i'm sure we'll see him back in the cage sunday. might have been a diffferent outcome had that penalty kill made it another 15 seconds.

Old
10-01-2013, 06:08 AM
massey

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean youngblood82 View Post
Sting fans continue to grumble haha.
Thinking positive on sunday's game,it was nice to see matteo get his first OHL assist with that best pass all year to that nice boy on North bay's defence so he could score.Took me back to my childhood years of watching Novice play.Hopefully Wed night game he can do it again.He deserves the ice time.Nice also for Goldobin to give that puck away to that nice boy from North bay who skated all the way down to that end of the ice and deserved the puck and scored.It was nice also of the team to take a lot of penalities because those nice men at the penality box were getting bored and wanted someone to talk to.Not only that it gave some of our other players extra ice time and our goalie wanted more shots anyways.Also allowed those nice boys from North bay to Score.And finally,as much as I think fighting should be banned from hockey and everybody just get along with a nice hug,nice of Duininck of get in a fight to defend his team and get things going while those other big guys on the bench was able to get some rest and didnt bruise there knuckles.

Old
10-01-2013, 07:09 AM
BoxerMax

Does anybody have or know someone with a Matt Martin Sting jersey? I am going to watch the Islanders play in Carolina in November and was looking to borrow the jersey for the trip. Please msg me with any information.

Thanks

Old
10-01-2013, 10:50 AM
bobber

Cory Genovese I tied for first in penalty minutes. Some are saying the D is too soft up there. should they have kept him? I liked him here in Kitchener because he never took and crap in front of his goalie.

Old
10-01-2013, 12:04 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobber View Post
Cory Genovese I tied for first in penalty minutes. Some are saying the D is too soft up there. should they have kept him? I liked him here in Kitchener because he never took and crap in front of his goalie.
I think you accidentally clicked on the Sarnia thread not Sudbury!

Old
10-01-2013, 10:49 PM
Schlerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by massey View Post
Thinking positive on sunday's game,it was nice to see matteo get his first OHL assist with that best pass all year to that nice boy on North bay's defence so he could score.Took me back to my childhood years of watching Novice play.Hopefully Wed night game he can do it again.He deserves the ice time.Nice also for Goldobin to give that puck away to that nice boy from North bay who skated all the way down to that end of the ice and deserved the puck and scored.It was nice also of the team to take a lot of penalities because those nice men at the penality box were getting bored and wanted someone to talk to.Not only that it gave some of our other players extra ice time and our goalie wanted more shots anyways.Also allowed those nice boys from North bay to Score.And finally,as much as I think fighting should be banned from hockey and everybody just get along with a nice hug,nice of Duininck of get in a fight to defend his team and get things going while those other big guys on the bench was able to get some rest and didnt bruise there knuckles.
to be fair, although goldy was super soft and lazy on the pass, the lousy ice probably caused the puck to bounce off his stick like that

ciccerelli's gaff, on the other hand, was simply brutal. they teach you in pee wee to fire the puck either off the side wall or glass to get it out, and not right out front of the net into the slot area, without looking. awful. not to mention up until then he'd stunk anyway with missed passes and lost draws and a was a liability anyway.

Old
10-04-2013, 07:42 AM
BoxerMax

Big loss for the Sting this weekend missing Chapman. Hopefully he will be back next weekend.

Old
10-04-2013, 01:50 PM
Shaun Bisson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Big loss for the Sting this weekend missing Chapman. Hopefully he will be back next weekend.
He shouldn't be out too long. Probably as soon as he gets his range of motion back he'll slot back in I'd imagine.

Last edited by Shaun Bisson: 10-04-2013 at 02:05 PM.
Old
10-04-2013, 04:37 PM
dansk55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Bisson View Post
He shouldn't be out too long. Probably as soon as he gets his range of motion back he'll slot back in I'd imagine.
thanks doc.

Old
10-04-2013, 08:45 PM
jolly roger

Quote:
OK Dean. Is Brody injured? Fazio on roster and back-up tonight. Maybe try 2 Ds, 2 Forwards and 2 goalies to do better? I know its early but this looks like a cluster.

Old
10-06-2013, 09:15 AM
massey

Sting games are too predictable so far.Stupid penalties,luckily we are 3rd in the OHL in PK,took the flow out of Sting game last night,No PP what so ever,we can pass the puck nice around the perimeter, yippy,last in the OHL in PP at 11%,when are we going to learn to shoot more and clog the front of the net with bodies,sorry our forward snipers are limited and finally,missed assignments in the last minute of the games.Dupuis played well last night.

Old
10-06-2013, 10:07 AM
jolly roger

Quote:
Sting games are too predictable so far.Stupid penalties,luckily we are 3rd in the OHL in PK,took the flow out of Sting game last night,No PP what so ever,we can pass the puck nice around the perimeter, yippy,last in the OHL in PP at 11%,when are we going to learn to shoot more and clog the front of the net with bodies,sorry our forward snipers are limited and finally,missed assignments in the last minute of the games.Dupuis played well last night.
Dupuis gave up ANOTHER last period heartbreaker and lost in the shootout. And you're right, that's the best anyone can say.

Old
10-06-2013, 11:19 AM
EasternOntario Fan

Quote:
Have to admit you are right on them being predictable. Without a more productive powerplay, it will be a very long year. Watched the game on TV last night and have one criticism----why would they have Goldobin on in last minute of game with a lead.

Old
10-06-2013, 02:34 PM
StungbySting

The PP is definitely something that needs to be revisited. Too many perimeter players and too many perimeter passes. They need to dumb the PP down and get back to basics. Why not have a first unit of Goldobin, Latta and Hargrave parked in front of the net with DeAngelo and Duininck. Have a second unit of Nikandrov, Moore and DiPaolo parked in front of the net with King and Hore. Keep it simple by getting pucks to the net and let the big bodies in front cause havoc for the goalies and d-men. Not going to win too many games if you can't produce on the PP.

Closed Thread